Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Neverwinter Nights has really superb fan made campaigns as well. I liked Tales of Arterra more than Baldur's Gate, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I already own RoA3, so here:

D4F98S5R

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm wondering whether I'll like it as well, as I love 4X and Paradox-style grand strategy but this was one I didn't have a chance to play back in the day. I also care more about the political/economic sides of things rather than the military.

It's heavily focused on the political/economic side of things over combat. It's absolutely fantastic if you like history and strategy games at all, the diplomatic and economic models are very involved.

The only drawback is there's not much to model the internal politics of your country ala the Paradox games, but the economic and foreign policy systems outstrip anything Paradox has done.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

jivjov posted:

Are you seriously making the "All add-on/DLC content is evil" argument? Seriously, buying a game does not give you a free pass to get every piece of extra content ever produced for it. You buy a base game, you get the base game. If the developers want to make more content and charge for it, that's their prerogative. Similarly, it is your prerogative to choose what content you wish to buy and which ones you want to ignore.

I don't think he was seriously doing anything...

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Joey Vaporwave posted:

It's not faction related either, Peas and Rice. I keep starting as Deirdre because she best represents me, and I was told to by goon video game resource https://www.beforeiplay.com . But yeah the early game seems pretty nutty here, I'm just careening around being uncautious and sometimes I eliminate The Spartans and sometimes a mindworm reduces my capitol pop.

e: link

You get the extra colony pod if you start extremely close to another faction, it's like a handicap.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
The plots to Ultima 1-III sound kind of strange, but one of the things I miss about Wizardry and Might and Magic is the blend of science fiction and fantasy. Really, any setting that isn't straight science fiction or straight fantasy. Might and Magic is being resurrected, but seemingly in a straight fantasy incarnation.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

al-azad posted:

I don't know who owns the Buck Rogers franchise these days but I'd love an old school RPG set in that universe.

Or at least something like Gamma World/Mutant Future where you have bunnies armed with rifles and poo poo.

The Buck Rogers SSI games had so many good ideas that I wish we could see translated into modern RPGs. "Cinematic" really is a cancerous concept for RPGs. Developers(and by developers I guess I mean Bioware) feel the need to emulate a medium they'll never match instead of exploring the inherent strengths of the medium they're working in.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Ring Runner looks extremely interesting. But I hadn't heard about it until it showed up on Gog's website. Thoughts from anyone who's played it?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I think my most desired obscure game from a high profile developer is "Alien Legacy," by Sierra. Does anyone know if its available online for purchase anywhere? Particulary the updated CD-ROM version.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Uh does neverwinter 1 have any UI mods for widescreen? the game is unplayable to be because the dialog box doesn't scale with resolution so it's always too tiny to read. When I Google around I can only find UI stuff for neverwinter 2.

There's a toggle in the default options menu to select high resolution font that makes it very readable on my 1920x1080 display.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Skwirl posted:

The story is great, if its not your first RPG from that era you'll probably be fine. Read the manual, remember to save often in different slots. And if the early game is kicking your rear end look at a guide on how to make your character. The main issue with combat is if it happens on the middle of town you have to wait for everyone to run away between your turns.

The best trait(feature you pick at character selection) is by far Gifted. You get +1 to each SPECIAL stat in exchange for losing skill points at the beginning and throughout the game. But you can redistribute the stat bonus at will, so you basically get 7 extra SPECIAL points-which generally can't be changed throughout the game-and which influence your skills, so you basically make up for the lost skill points through SPECIAL bonuses anyways.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I'm so excited for the dark sun games. I think they're better than baldurs gate in terms of story and quest design. My dream game they'll never get because it's too obscure is Alien Legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
My hope for obscure Sierra gen: Alien Legacy. It's probably not very good but consumed he better part of my fourth grade year.