Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I'd say Fallout or Baldur's Gate. Planescape: Torment is very good but modding opens up a lot of rushed or cut content, Fallout or Baldur's Gate are more 'complete' on their own, and I think Baldur's Gate has the better story and characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

e: I am an idiot and was thinking of The Tiny Bang Story. drat sort of similar names. :cripes:

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 2, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Stroth posted:

Why not?

And speaking of that: KM4A6DJ2

Snagged this one, thanks!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Thanks GoG. There's like 12 things I want in this sale. I hate you.
I don't mean it GoG I love you but my wallet kind of hurts now.

So what stuff is accessible and has aged well? I never played most of these. I'm going to get Alpha Centauri, Syndacite, and Theme Hospital. I'd like to get one of the Ultima, Dungeon Keeper, Populous, and Wing Commander games, what of those are good?

edit: Oh dear. Lands of Lore looks cool too, I'm a sucker for first person RPGs. GoG! :argh:

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 2, 2012

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I'm trying to download Alpha Centauri and I keep getting an error about 50 megs in. "Checksum error on chunk 0, please contact support". I sent them an email a few hours ago but no response yet, any idea what this is?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Including free stuff and big packs, I have 40 games and have only played a small handful, even fewer more than just an hour or two. A lot of them are big RPGs though - Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Temple of Elemental Evil, etc. - so I never quite feel like diving into those. Hooray for untreated depression that makes it ridiculously difficult for slower paced games to hold my attention. :smith:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

andrew smash posted:

Hey man, I like GOG too but maybe you should spend some of your game money on counseling and an SSRI.

Eh, I've already tried to jump through all the hoops. I'm self employed with on insurance and don't qualify for disability or aid, blah blah blah. My depression is very mild, the only real problem is my short attention span. Hopefully this'll get fixed at the start of next year though when I move my home business around a bit and will have more options.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Speaking of Sam and Max, was there any reason we haven't gotten Hit the Road yet on GoG? I'm assuming licensing issues since it's not available on abandonware websites?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Guillermus posted:

At the other hand... ID. I still wonder why the Doom/Quake games aren't on GOG for some reason.

They're on Steam, I think only as a giant $80 package of games. Might have something to do with it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

That goes on sale all the time, they would do good just releasing them already

Yeah, this is true.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Man here I was gonna boot the game up right away after installing all the shiny mods, but you know what? gently caress that. I'm waiting until tonight when the house is quiet and I can turn the lights off and put on my headphones. Gonna do this poo poo up right.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

They also made Clive Barker's Jericho, which I was just playing five minutes ago. :aaa:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

al-azad posted:

The gently caress? They actually sold shareware? Like the physical copy to play the shareware then you had to send money in to get the rest of the game unlocked????

Yup. You'd get the demo from somewhere, a website, a message board, a random floppy disk from a friend, whatever. And the demo would have a built in advertisement somewhere of a website to go to or a number to call to buy the full game. And these weren't ten minute demos either, you'd get like a fifth of the total maps for the game. In the case of FPSes like Wolfenstein or Duke Nukem, you'd get one or two entire episodes out of half a dozen or so total for the retail game.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Primordia just went on sale for five bucks and I highly recommend it if you like point-and-clicks. It's a bit short, and most of the replayability is in the various endings which mostly are just dependent on the last like 30 seconds of what you do, but it's a very pretty game with a good atmosphere and story and it's worth a second playthrough to see a few things you can do differently. The voice acting can be a tad hit or miss especially with your quirky robot sidekick, but you can turn it off, though I recommend keeping it on and suffering through him because most of the other characters, the main character especially (who was voiced by the same guy as the narrator for Bastion), are great to listen to.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Aw dammit. I didn't realize that this was the Wizardry 7 from Gold edition, with the redone graphics. I honestly hate them and like the older ones more. Can I change it to the old DOS version or am I stuck? :(

edit: Hell yes, there is an option! I can download the old DOS version separately, right under the extra content bit on my account page. I love you, GoG! :dance:

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 24, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

That is the greatest trailer ever. "Eye of Moron". And that dual pistol reload animation. :allears:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Crabtree posted:

What application should I set as my installer opener? That seems to be my one big problem.

If you've downloaded it with the GOG Installer, the install files are just EXEs. Just run them by clicking the little magnifying glass on the file in the downloader.]

And if you mean to start the download period then...the GOG downloader.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Am I really ever going to play Master of Magic? No

You're doing it wrong. :colbert:

But seriously I never play strategy games and am awful at them and I really, really enjoyed it. I even ended up backing the Worlds of Magic kickstarter.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

That's true, expect for Outcast, the original creator got back the rights recently.
The worst one was Cryostasis, its one of the most well-written and atmospheric FPSes ever and now you can't buy a digital copy anywhere. They're still selling physical copies off Amazon at least.

Well gently caress. It's not on Steam either. :( I put off on getting it for the longest time and it's been on my wish list forever. God drat, some warning would be nice when they're about to pull something, but I suppose it may not be possible.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

This is not copy protection. You can make as many copies of the game as you want and they run fine, just not the online multiplayer. Un-wad your panties.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Dudley posted:

Why aren't they?

Then they should refuse to carry the game, or stop claiming to have no DRM. They can't have it both ways.

You're already bitching about this on the GOG forums and apparently dragged that poo poo-covered scrap of TP here too. What exactly do you want to hear or accomplish?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Dudley posted:

My problem with DRM is finding it on a service that claims not to have it.

Thanks but unless I read it wrong, that survey has a 70% no result for selling games with ROTT's multiplayer lockout. (slide 8). I don't see a question on CD Keys.

Seriously, are you TRYING to be obtuse and obnoxious?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Why the hell do people do stupid poo poo like this in the review section for games? Do they just need to see their name on the webpage?

Doesn't really make a difference when 98% of the games on GOG are 4-5 stars anyway. Wish you could flag reviews like that though to be removed, it certainly doesn't help.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I saw a free thing right before Geneforge came up. I had enough time for my brain to process "I like that genre, click it" and click the button, but it was already gone. I don't even remember what it was.

This is loving evil GOG, I hate you.

(I'm kidding. I love you GOG. Never leave me ever.)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

EIGHT copies of Beyond Good and Evil for free.

EIGHT.

EVIL.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah I don't think the free ones count. Jade Empire was #100, then I saw free Cognition pop up, and now it's Syberia.

The :retrogames: train is still going, people. :v:

eta: Postal 2. Gonna go make a sandwich.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 13, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Some of these have already been on sale AND free already, so I wonder if it'll just loop around for a while now?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

RCT3 is finally out, now it's 300 copies of Blood (One Unit Whole Blood). Buy it if you like old-school FPSes, it's fun as poo poo and has aged surprisingly well, I like it more than Duke.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Aristophanes posted:

Darnit, I went to the bathroom during Miasmata and missed Theme Hospital. I didn't think 1000 copies could go so quick!

Miasmata went instantly, I was surprised. Like I clicked it as soon as it came up just to read the description to see if I'd like it or not, and by the time I read that one paragraph, it was gone.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Dammit GOG, I didn't want to spend any more money, then you put Thief 2 up for two bucks and it was going down so fast and I'm sorry bank account, it's all over now, I promise. Oh well, I only spent like...eight dollars today? Thief 2, Shadow Man, and Geneforge 1-5.

I will, of course, still watch the sale fanatically. I might get something cool for free!

(hahahaha no chance, my internet is slow as poo poo)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

It's fine for me, but then "normal download speed" for me is 150kb/s. :saddowns:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah if that was $5 it'd move a lot faster. $18-20 is a LOT to charge for an PAC adventure game nowadays that isn't very, very good like Deponia. And you can get the Blackwell BUNDLE for $20. And really, it just looks incredibly mediocre. Generic attractive guy, two generic attractive ladies, the game is generically named after him and has a really lame sounding sub-title, generic looking screenshots that frankly make the game look a bit terrible...

Jonny Nox posted:

point and click adventures are a dangerous market. Telltale is about the only one to make any kind of impact in it anymore.

There's also the aformentioned Daedalic (Deponia) and Wadjet (Blackwell, etc), though I'm not sure how they hold up to Telltale in popularity. But really, other than that....that's mostly it. It's a very stale genre and you better really know your poo poo if you're going to make a new one, or you end up like this thing, sitting on GOG's front page during a super fast moving sale, stinking up the whole thing.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 14, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Toadsniff posted:

Yeah but it's got a 4 star rating :v:

And on GOG that might as well be "this is the worst game in history".

fake edit: Holy poo poo, down to 70! Only five more hours to go!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yes, Soul Reaver is great. Some of the puzzles really loving suck so just load up a walkthrough for those parts. Like ^ said it's mainly the box pushing ones. But the story is good, the voice acting is actually good for an early 3D game, excellent atmosphere and sound design. Though yes the game ends on a cliffhanger. There are sequels, but they weren't as good and the story as a whole takes a huge pretentious poo poo on itself and is also never resolved fully and probably never will be. Definitely play Soul Reaver, then maybe check out LPs of the later games.

edit: Oh. It's already out. Whatev, here's my endorsement anyway. Just watch for it to go on sale again around Christmas.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Ahahaha. 25 copies of Jack Keane 2. Let's see how long this takes.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

JEBOman posted:

I'm pretty sure that it was gog that said that and not valve.

No, Valve have said at one point that, if there's ever even a hint of Steam going under, they'll figure something out so people can keep their games. I don't know if they have anything solidified yet but hopefully it'll be a long time before it's ever needed.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Non-sale talk for a moment. I posted this question on the GOG forums but nobody's replied yet, so maybe one of you knows what's up. I'm running Pathologic in full screen with the widescreen high-res patch, but it doesn't lock down my mouse cursor properly. By which I mean, when I'm looking around, I'll see my mouse cursor show up on my second monitor to the left. Then if I click anything, I'm clicking on the desktop so the game minimizes. What's up with this?

edit: Would help if I said what game it was. :cripes:

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 15, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I loaded up Shadow Man and, just from the first hour or so, it's aged surprisingly well. The voice acting is decent, the controls aren't the worst thing in the world (if you just don't use the mouse, either go controller or keyboard only, mouse control is rear end no matter what), story is pretty cool. Surprisingly creepy too, a couple of jump-scare type bits (very minor) actually got me a little.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

The special edition of Jade Empire has extra content, right? How good is it? I have the game on original Xbox, but it's the plain version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

The Kins posted:

New oldgame releases! Sword of the Samurai and the amazing Harvester for $6 each.

...Is one of the screenshots of the dude being shot by a little kid?