Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

From what people are saying on the forums, it's the DOS version and not the Kilrathi Saga version. Also, the expansions aren't included either, one of the GOG staffers said that getting the rights is complicated.

EA strikes again, I guess. I might look into WC1+2 but I found it hard as hell to play Privateer with no joystick and I heard there are timing issues in DOSbox with the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I wish GOG had a few more racing games on it. I bought Screamer and it's a really good Ridge Racer clone, although the physics engine is hosed up (drifting seems to occur randomly, usually in tight turns, and you'll probably wall tap while cornering a lot). There's a Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally which I would love to see on GOG, but they're probably never going to release them on there :sigh:

Ideally I'd love if GOG got the rights to some of Sega's old PC ports like Virtual On and Daytona, gave them better compatibility with newer Windows versions, and added the patches that boosted the framerate. That would be amazing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I've seen videos of Carmageddon and it makes me want to play the game. Especially seeing how you rarely if ever bother racing, just popping off the route every so often to blow up opponents or run over people.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I might consider WC now that they're sorting out the expansion stuff. Hopefully they can get 3 and 4 too, because the FMVs in those are amazing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Does anyone know if the Pinball Gold Pack is worth it? I've heard people praising Digital Illusions' pinball games for a while and Pinball Dreams does have a pretty loving awesome intro theme (at least on Amiga)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Nthman posted:

What the hell Goons, I just installed WC2 and ive got the speech packs. You guys made it sound like the game didnt come with it!
Some people on the GOG forums made it sound like it didn't have them either.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I think I'm going to get one of these so I can play Freespace 2 and Privateer the right way. I want to like Privateer but it's hard to enjoy a game when trying to destroy a Talon results in a lot of waltzing around the keyboard. Freespace 2 is fine with keyboard and mouse but a joystick would make it even better.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, you totally need a joystick to really play privateer.

My standard start, back in the day, was to sell my missile launcher and buy a torpedo launcher. Torpedoes were pretty punchy for the price. Make some cash and stick some meson blasters on your ship, and you'll be in okay shape.
I tried using meson blasters and they were energy hogs. They did decent damage but half the time I had to wait for them to reload a little before I could fire again.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Nacho posted:

They've flat out said that they can't release anything in the System Shock or Syndicate series. Dunno why. Link is here: http://www.gog.com/en/news/gog_com_s_catalog_gets_huge_with_addition_of_classic_ea_titles
It's because the rights are all mixed up. Which is a drat shame because I would kill to play SS2 and I don't want to buy a copy for $60-$80 then have to go through hours of blood, sweat, and tears to get it to work on Windows 7.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, it looks as though EA trademark for the name, but that Looking Glass kept the rights. Somehow in the fallout from Looking Glass's collapse, an insurance company ended up with the development rights, and hasn't apparently had a good enough offer from EA or anyone else to sell those on. It's in this article here:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/713030/the-lost-history-of-system-shock/

Apparently it's all Warren Spector's fault.
That pisses me off. The game's made tons of "best PC game ever" lists and thousands of gamers who want to experience the game's greatness will never get to because of a rights tangle. loving stupid.

I do remember on GOG's stream for the EA announcement they did say "never say never" about the thing but it's probably not happening in the near future. I guess that means I'll have to :filez: the drat game and then get it working on Windows 7. Can't believe I'm saying this, but gently caress you Warren Spector.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 6, 2011

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What the gently caress are you guys doing? In the first hour of System Shock 2 you will beat a terrifying monkey with a wrench. Play that game.
I would if the loving thing would run on 64-bit Windows 7. Even with all the fixes the game crashes (or rather, black screens) after the "look at you, hacker" scene. Someone at GOG needs to go find out who has the rights and smack some loving sense into them, because I'm sick of not being able to play this.

Hopefully if this ever happens they won't pull a Thief 2 and release an unfixed game that we have to gently caress around with to fix.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 8, 2011

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I love ROTT, even though sometimes I get lost. And yeah, if you don't have DN3D you are missing out. DukePlus and the hires mod make it look great (although the hires mod takes out the weird FOV stuff and I kind of like having it skewed that way)

Oh yeah, does that Starship Troopers mod still work with the GOG version of DN3D? I'd love to try it out since everyone seems to like it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Kins posted:

New release time... Wing Commander III for $6
Oh gently caress yes, I am so buying this. And I just spent $10 on Civ V :negative:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Keyboard and mouse would probably be your best bet; the mouse controls in WC aren't perfect, but they're playable. It might recognize your gamepad as a "joystick", too (it uses standard joystick axes for the twin sticks) so you could play it that way, especially with a 360 pad and those triggers. Dunno if the GOG versions allow remapping, though, although you could use Xpadder shenanigans for that.
Aren't the WC mouse controls like in Privateer? I hated the Privateer mouse controls because it made dogfighting ridiculously slow and hard, and I ended up getting pissed off and quitting because I realized I wasn't going to win a dogfight period with such a slow mouse speed.

Of course that was also because I decided to go with meson blasters right off the bat, which are not good beginning weapons due to massive power drain.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I'd much rather use a keyboard than mouse for Wing Commander. Joystick is definitely the best bet (or a pad), but the mouse controls are like a test run for the ones that actually worked in Freelancer. You've got more control over fine aiming with the mouse, but you hardly ever have to do that in Wing Commander.
So just arrows for up/down/left/right is fine for pretty much all the games?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ymgve posted:

There's some press conference thingy later today, where they will discuss GOG stuff and the new version of Witcher 2. I hope they announce they've convinced yet another publisher.
Please oh please let it be LucasArts so we can have TIE Fighter and X-Wing. I'd love to play both. Or X-Wing Alliance.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Holy poo poo I love Planescape: Torment. I thought I would be a goner if the guards entered in the first map but I ended up kicking their asses.

Also, the skull guy sounds like Crow from MST3K. Sci-Fi season Crow to be specific.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

GoldenNugget posted:

My problem with Planescape Torment is that while it's a fantastic game, something always bugs out on me about halfway through the game (like a main quest item just disappearing due to having a full inventory) and me trying to desperately hack a save game for the item. And then me giving up and then restarting the game and then I get bored and play something else.

There's a PDF floating around with the dialogue strung up into a narrative that I may just read instead.
Have you checked out GOG's section on game mods for it? There's a bugfix mod there along with some other nifty ones.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is the Pinball Gold Pack worth it? I've seen videos of the Amiga version of Pinball Dreams and I love the opening theme, but I don't know how the Amiga version matches up to the DOS one.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Streets of SimCity on GOG would be like a dream come true for me. I played it a while back at a friend's and it was like Maxis' take on Carmageddon. :allears:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

They should stick some of the old Sierra DOS titles like Silpheed and Thexder on GOG. I don't know if they count as abandonware at this point but if they can put them there as free releases like Tyrian I'd be happy. :3:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I can't get out of the Mortuary in Planescape: Torment. I just end up going up and down the same flights of stairs and the exit doesn't seem to come up. Am I missing something?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Does this MIDI soundbank stuff mean that I can now make Tyrian sound like this?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I think the OP needs the MIDI info added. I might try it with Tyrian this week with the AWE32 stuff because Tyrian, The Level is so awesome with that.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I tried installing the MIDI Mapper for Windows 7 to switch the MIDI output but it doesn't show up in the Control Panel. Did I do something wrong? It's in my system32 folder like it should be.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

Do you have email or AIM/GTalk/Steam? I don't want to clog up this thread with a bunch of back-and-forth tech support (I've already clogged it up enough with that behemoth of a post, haha).
Yeah, I'm on Steam, look for Zeether.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just got the Timidity++ thing working via another method on the Skulltag forums that WiredStnkyPusyLuvr found via Steam chat. And then I come back and found out I put the dll in the wrong directory for the MIDI mapper anyway :doh:

Whatever, the solution worked anyway and Tyrian sounds godly with the new soundfont installed. Thanks WiredStinky!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Holy poo poo, Blood is hard. Those cultists can kill you if you don't see them coming and the rats are annoying as gently caress too.

Flaregun's awesome though. "OH GOD IT BURNS IT BUUURNS"

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Wow, Blood runs like poo poo at higher resolutions. You'd expect the game to run smoothly since it's old but...it doesn't. I have to switch it to a lower res to run it at the proper speed.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

I saw the tweet, but was disappointed to discover "bonus material" did not mean "expansions". One day!
That was me as well.

I'm still annoyed they didn't get the Descent expansions.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

So I heard that for some games on GOG with lost source code, they actually had to buy copies off eBay/Amazon. Kind of interesting.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Does anyone have sourced information on why System Shock isn't/won't be on gog? I still have never played the first one...
Rights issues, I think there's an article on why on G4 or some other site that details all of it.

The first game is available for download but I will not link it because technically it counts as :filez: since it's not abandonware.

Really, I think GOG should hire a team of people specifically dedicated to figuring out how best to deal with the SS rights because there's a ton of people asking for it and it's in the top spot on the wishlist.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Dead Space was going to be System Shock 3 if I recall correctly.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

It isn't? Since when? Last I checked you couldn't buy it anywhere, and the (inferior) floppy version was available on Home of the Underdogs.
I must have mistakenly thought it was but apparently people think SS2 is abandonware and not the original.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

What? Why?
I have no idea. I googled "System Shock abandonware" and got some forum thread where some idiot was claiming 2 was abandonware.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'd love to see the X-Wing series on GOG, especially TIE Fighter (I think that was the one with the TIE Defender which was so overpowered it was removed from X-Wing Vs. TIE and put in the ship gallery with a description reading "Dream on, fanboy!")

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Unless you have some reason to believe that it's not abandonware, like knowing a place that still sells it? I'd love to have a hardcopy of System Shock to go with my other LGS games. :allears:
Outside of Amazon and eBay there's really no other place that sells SS2 (I remember one forum linking to a store that still had copies but it may not have them any more) so it is definitely abandonware. I was completely mistaken in thinking it wasn't because one forum stated that it was illegal and such.

The second clue seems to imply two games are coming out, unless DoTT has some number like that come up.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

If GOG can add old Maxis titles, why don't they add A-Train? I've seen screenshots of it and it looks quite fun. Shame we never got the other games here because it sold so poorly, it's like a Japanese SimCity.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

AxeManiac posted:

Still waiting for SegaSoft titles.... sigh
As in those PC ports they did of Virtua Fighter, Daytona, Virtual On, etc?

I'd love to see those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just hope they don't forget the "old games" part of their company name. If they can offer a DRM-free new game I want, I'll pounce on it, but I would like to get some older titles too.