Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Rascyc posted:

Half the game was buggy. That's pretty much it. Quest triggers wouldn't work, crashes occured all the time. 3DO never fixed it after released, so MM basically ended with this as its swan song.

Bad memories all around.

Take note that the GOG version comes with the fan patch installed, which takes care of most, if not all gamestopping bugs.

http://telp.org/mm9/index.html the patch in question.

..Still a blooming terrible game when compared to the rest of the series. It's a drat shame, really, and a testament to letting game developers finish their game before releasing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Off-topic, but why the hell isn't your avatar animated? :colbert:

Because I couldn't find one and I'm too terrible to make one myself :ssh:

60% off select Enlight games

So, another "buy the entire thing, get the full discount" deal is on. How are everyone's opinion on Warlords Battlecry III? I'm a bit on the fence, seeing how I absolutely loved the old turn based Warlord games, but the real time Battlecry spinoff seems a bit.. Off, to me. Am I right in thinking it's one part Lords of Magic, one part Age of Empires?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

kissekatt posted:

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely seem to recall playing Maniac Mansion on the computer in Ed's(?) room.

Ayup, the full Maniac Mansion is in Ed's room in Day of the Tentacle as a bonus.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Haha, Lands of Lore 2 is one of the worst cases of FMV-itis of that era. I think the first one holds up well enough, but I would not want to go back to 2.

If you do enjoy FMV, however, it's actually merged pretty well with the prerendered backgrounds and polygon outdoor areas.. On the other hand, sifting through heaps of trash to find a key smaller than your cursor -is- painful, but that's more due to the time it was made where low resolutions didn't play nice with small objects.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Crusader: No Regret is indeed on GOG now for $5.99

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Zeether posted:

If they can release Robot Arena 2 I'd be thrilled. That game kicks so much rear end (and I never played the first one)

Oh, Robot Arena 2 is a darling of mine as well! Even though the early Havoc based physics made for some questionable decisions at times. Losing my CD was a day of woe.. Whenever it was.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's not truly Robot Wars unless the contestants haul their kids along for sucker points.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

50% off a couple of games they just had 50% off, that's a whole bucket of meh, right there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The Witcher 2 + The Witcher Enhanced Edition is now on sale for $23.99! If you already have The Witcher Enhanced Edition, you can gift it to.. Well, whoever haven't gotten it yet.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The atmosphere in Stonekeep is.. Unique. It's a mix of dry stretches of dungeon crawling, peppered with juicy pieces of NPC interactions. The universe it's set in has some really fun characters, and while the plot is extremely basic, the script does some interesting things with the creatures you meet. If you've played Lands of Lore, you'll fit right in with character system. What I like about Stonekeep is how it's dark, yet filled with what I can't describe as anything but olden British humour. Dry, yet fascinating.

EDIT:

But there IS a certain silliness permeating everything. Just wait for the credits!

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 12, 2011

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Am I a bad person for disliking the Baldur's Gate games? AD&D is a mess of a system and not getting to make my own party is painful to my Might and Magic roots.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Putting in your party's personality can be done in your own mind. Actively roleplaying the game while making dialogue for your characters in your thoughts is actually more immersive for me than most characters you find in RPGs. I do like the BG characters, but, more often than not, they just seem like a nuisance for my own plans.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can make your own party :eng101:

Pardon?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Start the game as a multiplayer game, if I recall.

Gadzooks! This looks very promising, thanks!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Unreal Tournament GOTY

That's still being played online?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I loved Facing Worlds! ..Against bots who wouldn't snipe all day.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Junkie Disease posted:

Arcanum, how well will said title make me forget buying Skyrim? Also Coop?

The interface is rudimentary and unresponsive at times, it's very easy to break the game over your knees with certain abilities and there's no coop out of the box, but there's a certain mod for it.

On the flipside, the setting is absolutely amazing. Technology and magic has divided the races and countries, and it's not just in the fluff. Tech stuff misbehaves or explodes when being near magic inclined people and items, high level mages can get sick by holding advanced technology, NPCs will comment on your current tech/magic standing as well as your good/bad meter and general reputation.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm on the fence with buying Space Rangers 2, have any of you tried it? The graphics and ingame misspellings are disconcerting, but the game's description seems right up my alley.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Aaaand bought, thanks!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Oh, well, I saved some money by buying it on GOG. Maybe they'll get the Reboot version at some point.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Bluetooth human being posted:

If one were to compare the Might & Magic series gameplay to something more modern, what would you use? I'm really interested in the pack, but I absolutely loathe the gameplay of Baldurs Gate or Planescape (D&D in general) so if it's like that...

I'm also usually terrible at these older type of RPGS. Stuff like Arcanum or Fallout are fine, but Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima series, Lands of Lore? I might get through the tutorial. How accessible is the series?

Might and Magic 4-5 combines to one huge game, and if you can accept tile based movement, it's one of the best out there. Personally, Might and Magic 6 has the absolutely best atmosphere of all eight games, with thought out areas and FMW characters to bring some life into the whole thing. It also had the best class system, with everyone being able to master any skill they're able to learn. Take the archer, for example, he's a hybrid between the melee oriented knight class and the spell casting sorcerer. He can wear medium armour and learn all of the four elemental spell schools, and be just as good with these as the other two parent classes can. Not to mention the longevity of the sixth installment - it took me two years to complete it when it came out, played every day.
The seventh installment marginally improved the graphics, but sacrifices the glorious FMW and puts restrictions on the skill system. If you've played Heroes of Might and Magic III, you'll fit right in with the story, areas and things you'll meet in MMVII.

Might and Magic 7 is the most accessible of the games, since the zones are more on rails than they were in previous games. You are still free to go wherever you wish, but you'll always get told where to go by following the main quests you'll start with from when the game begins.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Substandard posted:

Also, thanks for the reminder that Might and Magic switched over to real time after #5. I knew there was a reason I liked 4 and 5 the best but couldn't remember what it was. It saved me the couple of dollars from buying number M&M 7. I'll see if I can stomach 6 before I get it.

You can press enter in MM 6-8 at any time to enter turn based mode. It's pretty much a requisite for the harder parts if you're not intimate with the game.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 13, 2011

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

In 7 at least, it doesn't work on a toggle button in the options, you can switch between modes at will in the game world. Just press space as soon as you get into a fight and you're good.

6-7-8 all have this system, but 6 does NOT allow you to take five steps after everyone has done an offensive action or passed their turn.

MM6 has many times larger groups of monsters than 7 ever gets, but if you're into nostalgia and have played Heroes 3, you'll be able to recognize many people and areas in MM 7.

What I'm saying is that you should give all of them a chance.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

To anyone interested in the Might and Magic 6-pack and the stand-alone sequels:

Thuryl have made some marvellous, captivating, outstanding and other words for spectacular Let's Plays of Might and Magic 1 and 2. He did play them on the Mac, which had mouse support and cleaner interface/graphics, but you can get the general idea of how the games feel from them. He also captures the very essence of what these games can do for single player roleplayers - the constant bantering and discussions between the party members is exactly how the game plays out in your mind. They have no personality on their own, you have to create it yourself, which can be done by the sublime costumization the games have to offer you.

Thuryl's MM1 LP

Thuryl's MM2 LP

Also, here is a YouTube LPer who has made some very detailed playthroughs of all the Might and Magic games. He goes to great lengths with explaining the technical details and story bits: YouTube link

They're all just wonderful games, and I just hope people will buy them during this 50% off period, you're really missing out on a piece of RPG history if you don't.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Dominic White posted:

I know it caught a lot of flak back in the day, but I really quite liked Lands of Lore 2 - it's one of those 'FMV hybrid games done right', like Realms of The Haunting.

Both games are true gems, Lands of Lore 2 especially. There's a reason they put it in the Red Alert game as a trailer, and there's a reason we all saw it back then. It's glorious FMW made right, exactly!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

The only Westwood game I want on GoG is Blade Runner. That game was pretty awesome.

Had a better and more coherent plot than the movie, I would say.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

You take that back now :colbert:

I won't! The movie is a sorry mess, and it hurts me to see such a well crafted world get thrown away by amateurish pacing and plot exposition!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Are you referencing the Theatrical or any of the director's cuts? The voiceover that the Theatrical had was criminally bad and imposed by the studio.

This might be it. I never saw the original, have they really changed it that much? I mean, the scene with Deckard chasing down the exotic dancer was what I expected most of the movie to be, it was great! And the society they seem to have so painstakingly crafted just for this movie alone seems so horribly unused in what I've seen.

..And then there's the ending, but I did read somewhere that the final cut edition had butchered it, I just didn't know how much?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It still doesn't address my distress over how Harrison Ford's got too little time on-screen. His character just feels so unused considering he's the protagonist.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Oldstench posted:

THE BAR - you absolutely need to watch the Final Cut version of the film. It fixes so many subtle yet profoundly important things that it really is like watching a new movie.

That is the only version I've seen, so it's a given I didn't notice! :)

And I agree with you, r1ngwthszzors, the setting is one of the best I've ever seen in a movie, no question there, but I've always put solid entertainment high on my priority. There's not much solid about the plot or pacing. Don't misunderstand me, I thoroughly enjoy the idea of the universe and it's premise, but as a film academy graduate I can't just let this thing go. There ARE some fundamental flaws that leaves the viewer at a loss as to what's going on during their first viewing, where I would assume at least SOME kind of bearing would be made to guide the audience.
Yes, I know it's a movie that was made for multiple viewings, it's an art piece, not a oneshot film, but leaving some people without a clue whatsoever about what they just saw is being eccentric just for the sake of it.

I'm sorry, I did not wish to derail the GOG 50% off extravaganza, but it does affect this one game, which... Isn't even on GOG anyway, so I guess it's at a faulty.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The GOG installers are simply .exe files that unpacks and installs the game for you. I would suggest that you keep every game you buy on your drive somewhere, if you can afford the space. Having the ability to take all the games with you, without having an internet connection is pretty great.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Premium Account posted:

Ah, I think I understand. Take Arcanum for example. I've added it to the GoG downloader and it's taking 1GB of space. So HDD space is required regardless if you have them actively installed or not.

Thanks. I guess I'll purchase some games and leave them on the online GoG shelf for a bit.

Of course it'll take some space, it's, in essence, the entire CD you're downloading as a single file.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The box art has always been like that.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Junkie Disease posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKdBs7Pc1JE
This is pretty fantastic. I previously only heard him do VO work in Oblivion and thought he phoned it in pretty hard.
How is this series?

The first is a classic dungeon crawler.. With surprisingly few dungeons. It's very much like their Eye of The Beholder games, to an extent. The second is more of an action adventure game and the third.. The third's not made by Westwood, it was rushed and it shows.

The levelling system is pretty much a forefather to the TES variant. Throw spells and you'll get better at that. Hit things and improve your melee.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm.. Not too sure what you just said? It's obviously some kind of complaint, but I can't.. What?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Oh, yes, Luther from Lands of Lore - Guardians of Destiny especially is a treat. He's clearly the most sarcastic man in gaming history!

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 14, 2011

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

If I do not have alot of experience in D&D, but like turn-based games, should I get Temple of Elemental Evil? Baldur's Gate is good, but it being in real time (Putting aside the options to auto-pause, which I do make use of) makes things messy for me.

P.S. Yes, I am well aware of the Circle of Eight mod or whatever it is called.

As the people above me said, ToEE is very much the game that's the most true to the real D&D 3.5 when it comes to stats, abilities and the combat itself. The module which it's based on is a bit lopsided, though, with a really slow midgame and an endgame that's skewed in evil parties' favour.
But for 2.99 it's completely worth it!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

How can both Little Big Adventure games get top reviews and ratings? What am I missing out on here? The screenshots look like a downright mess of.. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be? It's an RPG of sorts, but.. Yeah, what gives?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Vertigus posted:

Every game on GOG gets great ratings.

You're right on that. I think the lowest is MoO's 2 stars?

Little Big Adventure looks like something an amateur made in Maya, the graphics aren't old, they're just bad. I don't think it's a game for me, but people seem to praise the humour and environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

quote:

The LBA games, especially the first one, definitely were visually impressive for their day. We are talking about 1994 here, seventeen years ago, when having characters rendered in full 3D and so smoothly animated still was far from common.

Graphic power and art direction are two completely different things, though. DooM 2 came out in 1994, and that's based on a game from 1993. I'd take 8-way drawn sprites over mono coloured triangles any day.