Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aceofblue posted:

I just finally bought The Longest Journey today in the Viking Sale, and I'm pretty excited. I've been really craving a good old-school adventure game lately since when I'm finally done with school for the day, I'm too tired to play any of the action games I have.

The Longest Journey is one of my all-time favourite adventure games. The story is wonderful and the puzzles are fairly intuitive for the most part (save for one notorious one early one). It's also a pretty decent length so you won't beat in 2-4 hours like some adventure games.

kingturnip posted:

As for Dreamfall, I either got stuck or burned out at a certain point and watched a Let's Play for the rest of the game. Even if the gameplay wasn't particularly compelling, I did want to get to the end of the story.

I'm a bit the same (I got it on XBL). Did you burn out at the underground puzzle with April too?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Have they managed to get Dungeon Keeper 2 working in Windows 7 yet? Just going by the two reviews on the page saying it crashes like mad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lucinice posted:

Which ultima and populus games are worth getting?

Ultima 1-7 and its expansions (I think the freebie Savage Jungle and Mars side-games are good too?) And Populous: The Beginning. (I haven't played other two Populous games, so others might have better opinions)

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure when GOG's gotten expansion packs for games already on the service, they include it with the main game. EA hasn't been good about giving GOG expansions, but if they eventually get it you'll almost certainly be able to get it for free, you just might have to re-download the game first.

Far as I know/have seen, every game gets its expansion pack(s) tossed in for free.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WMain00 posted:

Space Colony HD has been released. I can't say I recall it to be honest. Looks interesting.

Also I recently downloaded Icewind Dale 2. Other than the widescreen mod and the gibberlings hotfix patch, is there anything else I should download to fix/amend to it?

Space Colony's a pretty good game. I owned the original version and had some decent fun with it. Just remember to keep the three main consoles manned at all times or you'll have problems.

Obeast posted:

Interplay also has their entire catalog at 50% off. It looks like this will last for a week according to the press release about it.

Back to the Future is pretty good despite it's flaws, but I guess it's the BttF fanboy in me talking. :shobon: I still haven't tried Sam & Max Season 3, though, which I think most people say was the best of the three seasons.

It is. They leak in a little of the adult humor that made Hit the Road and the comics fun (That said, I loved the cartoon too). Thank you for the Interplay link. I picked up the $15-tier games when they did their "pay what you want" sale and there were a few I missed from the full-tier that I wanted (couldn't afford it at the time).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Furret Basket posted:

The thing is, that X-Wing vs Tie Fighter aside, there's not many Lucas Arts properties that are a) difficult to get hold of b) difficult to get running immaculately on any modern platform you can think of. I just don't think Lucas Arts is really that valuable.

Grim Fandango straight up doesn't work on Windows 7-era hardware(There's a SCUMMVM offshoot called Residual trying to get it working, but it's very much an early Alpha, last I looked). Ditto for Monkey Island 4 (same engine), but I don't think anyone's losing sleep over that piece of crap being unplayable.

X-Wing Alliance, The old Indiana Jones games, The other SCUMMVM games (Sam and Max, DOTT, and so on), TIE Fighter, the list goes on. Getting those onto GOG would be a massive windfall.

Furret Basket posted:

Don't Microsoft have the distribution rights for Neverhood? Just saying, if so that makes them to most valuable of the three potentials.

This needs to go on GoG, if only so the soundtrack gets bundled with it. :colbert:

edit1:

steinrokkan posted:

So, after some time I ventured into the store and got overwhelmed. Basically, I'd like to ask if there are any good adventure games you would recommend. I already own some of the classics (Gabriel Knight, TLJ, the new Monkey Island), but since I don't know most of what they have on offer, I'd really enjoy some tips. And yeah, I own all the Cryo (Atlantis) games too.

GoG has a sale on the Telltale episodic games. All three seasons of Sam and Max and the entire 5-game season of Wallace and Gromit for 80% off. They are all wonderful in some way or another.

edit2:

VVVVVVVV

I've tried that. It bugged in some way or crashed indiscriminately about once every ten minutes, if I'm lucky. And that's with the original genuine CD's (and yes, I did try the full range of compatibility modes, tweaks and so on).

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 11, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

elf help book posted:

Residual is at the point where Grim Fandango is completeable. That's not exactly the state at which GOG could use it, but if you want to play the game now, it's not too bad.

:aaaaa:

In that case I need to go dig out my CD's again and have a look at their devlog.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

C-Euro posted:

I should probably be rooting for Lucasarts to sign with GOG since I never played any of their famous adventure games

Steam has a few of them, notably the HD versions of Monkey Island 1&2, as well as The Dig and (I think) Full Throttle. The latter two also sometimes crop up in bargain bins of game stores.

edit: VVVVVVV

Ah, thanks.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

I loved it at the time, but deep in my heart I know that Rebellion was actually a pretty unfun and bad game and it would be a bad idea to go back to it for nostalgia's sake.

The X-Wing series as well tbh, their actual gameplay just can't match up to Freespace 2

X-Wing Alliance says otherwise :colbert:. (Though Freespace 2 is a drat high benchmark)

Also, if we're going into the lesser-known Lucasarts games, I want to know what kind of dark magicks from the unnameable places are needed to get Droidworks working in Windows 7. Loved that stupid game as a kid :unsmith:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

That, and scripted missions with 5 minute long docking timers you had to sit through.

Oh, I'll agree with that. Some of the early trader missions are annoying as hell, but I still had a hell of a lot of fun with the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Demerzel posted:

Is Anachronox worth playing? It looks like Deus Ex and the descriptions say JRPG battles. Both of which I love (couldn't play a modern JRPG but cut my gaming teeth on Dragon Warrior/FFI) but idk if the humor is way over the top into groan territory like say Douglas Adams.

There's a Let's Play of it on lparchive.org if you want to check that out.

VisAbsoluta posted:

I'm only 23 but I feel really old now. :corsair:

I'm 24 and I feel the goddamn same after going through this and the retro games thread. :corsair::hf::corsair:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Well, now I'm :10bux: poorer and I've picked up a few games I've really been wanting to play like Resonance and Machinarium. :tipshat:

edit:VVVVVV

:10bux: of love. Resonance is by the same guy that did the Blackwell series.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 20, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VisAbsoluta posted:

This sale owns, paying $2 for four Blackwell games, five Geneforge titles, American Nightmare, Gemini Rue, Resonance or To The Moon should be a crime.

This reminds me; For the few asking what to get; To The Moon. Even as a "eh, why not" afterthought 5th title in your bundle. It's only about 2-3 hours long, but the story is really good. It is also very sad :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

shalcar posted:

Another Realms of Arkania 3 code for the list:

D4JSKURA

I got it, thank you :tipshat:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just finished the Primordia demo and I'm really looking forward to the full version now. I loved the giger-esque artwork.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

It's not the shelves I'm lacking in, it's just too much stuff to have to deal with when I move.

Ask in the retro games thread, someone there might be interested in them if you really want to give them up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone know what time GoG usually releases stuff? Primordia's supposed to be out today and it doesn't seem to be a midnight-release thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mug posted:

Yeah I bought it off the WadjetEye games website and it's not live there yet either. Not sure how long I'll need to wait.

Also kinda hoping I can continue my save from the end of the demo.

What is the actual end of the demo? Is there a way to open the bunker, or is it just kind of meant to stop at putting the bomblet in the cradle?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Thank you. I couldn't figure out how to stick the bomb to the door. The cradle is from testing the bomb in the ship as a power source. Where the original crystal was.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mug posted:

Primordia is up on Gog.com.

It's a full gig in size?! This is going to be something really good, if the demo's anything to go by. (For reference, the next biggest Wadjet game was Resonance, and that was only 450mb)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commander Keenan posted:

Duke Nukem 1+2 has hit GOG.

This brings my total GOGs to 287. Help.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm at 293 - help me first!

A friend, a dear good friend who I will forever hate for doing this to me, once gave me ten GIGABYTES of DOS games as a gift. Every. Single. DOS game. You can think of (save for anything that was a large CD-based game, with a few exceptions). If you think you have a backlog of old games, it will never ever compare to what lurks in my hard drives. I have over two thousand pieces of abandonware and late-80's/early-90's DOS games that are often simply impossible to find nowadays (In some cases, multiple different versions of the same game).

I use GoG to get most of the later CD-based games I never played, or used to play as a kid which I no longer have. I also use it to pay for a few games they have that are in the collection I was given that I've actually been really interested in playing. (The extras are always nice, plus sometimes a manual really helps and it gives the devs a few bucks).

Whatever your grim GoG total may be, mine will be forever higher. :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pizzatime posted:

Is there any particular reason that nobody here seems to care about Primordia? The visuals are really nice, the voice acting is solid, the characters are likable, it's a really good game. One of those where I actually listen to the soundtrack outside of playing it.

Actually a couple of us have discussed Primordia over the last few pages.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The General posted:

How does Primordia compare in that regard? It's by far the biggest peeve of mine in adventure games is the pixel hunt, use everything with everything else to hopefully get the random result you want.

Primordia's quite good with logical puzzles and noticeable items/interactive objects. There's maybe two points in the game where there's a pixel hunt necessary to find something, but in both cases it's the only thing there that doesn't elicit a generic reaction (so you know you need something, just have to look for it).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

Today's release is... Nothing!! Because the Holiday Promo starts tomorrow.

I think I just felt my wallet wince in terror.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Steel your wallets and bank accounts, the sale has begun.

Looks like they're doing general discounts as well as doing extra price drops on a company each day until January 3rd. Today is Bullfrog.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mr. why posted:

How do I post my free code for Duke3d here? Do I just post the gift cert code?

Duke3d's free for everyone. Just go to the game's page on GoG and grab it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tezzeract posted:

COME GET SOME! *Cue Duke's awesome theme song*

It doesn't have the soundtrack in the GoG extras :negative:. Just 100-odd audio clips as 'ring tones'.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JustJeff88 posted:

I take it that this is going to be one of those Steam-style sales (I don't remember GOG around Christmas time last year, to be honest) where everything is on a good sale price every day for X days, but each day a small subset of games go on sale for a *very* good price?

Yes, it is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, I bought Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, just to get a nice GoG'ed version that will play nice with W7.

Now to build a 22G rollercoaster that drops people into the lake :unsmigghh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rirse posted:

Grabbed Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and Theme Hospital based on recommendation. Hope this turns out well for someone who never played either before.

Little tip for Hospital Tycoon, don't be afraid to occasionally fob off a VIP if you have a vomit spiral rolling through your hospital (one patient vomits, another sees them do it and vomits, repeat through the halls for everyone in less than good condition). Oh, and keep the research department out of general sight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Armor-Piercing posted:

Today's Deals:
Alan Wake: $7.49
Alan Wake's American Nightmare: $3.74
Chronicles of Riddick: $3.74
Trine: $2.49

I added Riddick to my Steam wishlist at one point, and it's actually cheaper here than it has been on Steam before. Is it worth picking up?

Edit: Looking back through the thread, response has mostly been positive.

Butcher Bay is really good, but Dark Athena is merely average at best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I can't log in either. Their authentication server must be down or something, as it tries to log in and then bounces me to the front page with the login window still open.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

havenwaters posted:

The art style and David Duchovny made me want to get the game.

I've had some good fun with XIII. The stealth missions are really quite easy when you know what your doing, and the story's pretty enjoyable. Plus you can't go wrong with being able to club a guy in the head with a bazooka shell before loading it back into the launcher to kill the rest of his squad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've finally gotten around to playing XIII. It's a surprisingly fun FPS with David Duchovny, Adam West and Eve as the main protagonists. It no longer looks anywhere near as impressive as it used to, but they did a pretty good job with the comic book aesthetic for the time.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Looks sort of Gravity Bone/30 Flights of Loving-esque. That DOES look pretty snazzy.

XIII really is an underloved gem. The stealth levels really aren't as hard as some people have claimed, you just have to be observant and look for the obvious route (sneak to HERE. Wait for the guard to pass, cross to THERE. Wait for the conversation to end. Sneak up and kill the guard that stayed. Drop him in the corner HERE out of the way. That kind of thing). Also, I'm amazed how good the PC version looks. The console version's not quite as smooth and hi-rez.

edit: VVVVVV

One or two people in this thread or another one, cant remember which, were calling them bullshit or something. I honestly have no idea how.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 5, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looking at the reviews for Daikatana and at the top is this gem;

quote:

Posted on 2013-02-07 06:18:24 by saul86's avatarsaul86:

Do not read all the negative reviews, and just play it, great history and great level design. The last work of Romero. In any case a milestone.

He's either lying or trolling. I refuse to believe someone actually enjoyed Daikatana. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commander Keenan posted:

I already bought it. :snoop:

Christ, don't you know you're not supposed to touch the poop?! Safari Rules, man! :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

That said... Worms 3D sucks balls. But nothing 2D translates to 3D well. It really, really doesn't. Think about it: Worms 3D, Lemmings 3D, Castlevania 3D, MegaMan Legends, Sonic (oh my god), Final Fight, Contra, on and on.

You might want to reconsider that one :toughguy:. The first one's admittedly blandly average, but Megaman Legends 2 is a really good game.

As for Sonic...There's a lot of chaff and very little wheat. Colours and Generations are really the only two outright good ones.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've never played either System Shock. I intend to remedy this in about 21 hours or so.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something terrible has happened - The GoG website is offline. We all wanted SS2 just a little too much. :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

Time for someone to compile what's the best mod to improve the graphics a la that big Deus Ex mod.

I agree. I love Manny!

Endman posted:

Oh, yes please. I love me some explosive-tossing dwarves. Also Grim Fandango.

Go take a look at Residual. It's an offshoot of ScummVM dedicated to the engine Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island were built on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

More (good old) games:

Catacomb Pack (1991), $6. Includes The Catacomb, Catacomb 3D: Descent, Catacomb Abyss 3D, Catacomb Armageddon, and Catacomb Apocalypse.

Omikron: The Nomad Soul (1999), $10.

Lots of neat releases lately. Good work, GOG.

I've heard things good and bad about Omikron. What's the general goon consensus on it? And if it's good, is the Dreamcast or PC version considered better? (been looking to add to my collection, and I keep seeing copies online)