Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Duke Nukem 1+2 has hit GOG.

This brings my total GOGs to 287. Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

jivjov posted:

Which is amazing and another reason why I love GOG

Just wait 'til you see what's coming on 10/19.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

doctorfrog posted:

I'd really love it if they started publishing printable pdfs of DVD covers for their games. (yes I know about thecoverproject.net)

What about this?

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Yep. Also included is a "graphics mode setup" EXE which allows you to alter the most common DOSBox settings.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

BadAstronaut posted:

Apparently tomorrow is going to be the really exciting sale, or a new product launch. Maybe your wallet won't be as healthy 24 hours from now.

It's really exciting. Get your wallets.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
EA expansion packs have been added to your accounts for free. Alien Crossfire, Righteous Fire, Secret Missions, et al.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

GrandpaPants posted:

This was a cruel trick. Either that or I'm looking in the wrong place.

You'll have to download the 2.0.0 installer.

anthonypants posted:

No loving way.

edit: I downloaded and installed Wing Commander Privateer, and I can see a dosboxPRIV_RF.conf and a RF.CFG, but I don't see an RF.EXE :(

It's there. You might need to run the start menu / game folder shortcuts to get it working.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

TheIllestVillain posted:

Can i grab Alpha Centauri now and still get Crossfire?

Yup.

And to those with doubt....

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

doctorfrog posted:

Is it possible to play Duke Nukem in co-op mode? Either with or without eduke32?

Absolutely. I played through Duke3d and Blood with a friend using GOG's DOSBox multiplayer setup, since eDuke32's MP component proved to not work as well. We had to use a virtual LAN to get connected to each other.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

THE BAR posted:

Boo, give us Daikatana already!

Careful what you wish for. :mmmhmm:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

THE BAR posted:

Boo, give us Daikatana already!

Ob la di, ob la da, you're welcooome BRAH.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

01011001 posted:

God help us all, I'm sure quite a few people will.

Or it'll get sneaked into some bundle and dozens of people will technically own that game.

I already bought it. :snoop:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, this is normal - it's the Daikatana Sanity Protection (DSP). You need to disable it by punching yourself in the balls three times.

My GOG Daikatana worked on Windows 8 without demolishing my testicles.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Autumncomet posted:

How well does Beyond Good & Evil play on Windows 8? I loved it on the ps2 and I have the strangest urge to play again.

Runs just as well on my Windows 7 machine as it does on my Windows 8 machine. You'll need to change some of the video options to fix the flickering lights issue, though.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

SWAT 4 is hella fun once you learn the crowd-control tricks but not very realistic.

As evident in this video my friends and I took in one of our sessions. We were as professional in the third game.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

al-azad posted:

Give me pins, please. I would readily rock some Good Old Game flair.

Like mine? I also have a pretty killer shirt.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
"Talking Animals Love GOG.com"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiaoswjPKEU

Polish humor at its finest.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Let's just say I have three walkthroughs up on the game I'm testing right now.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Wizardry Gold took since mid-March to complete testing. There are some pretty great fixes for Windows compatibility. I was playing on Windows 8 flawlessly.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Genpei Turtle posted:

Did they fix the Diplomacy bug? 'Cause if not it's still not worth playing compared to the DOS version.

Not to my knowledge. The source code is never available for editing. However, we did fix the text scrolling issue that's been a nuisance since the CD release.

Mierenneuker posted:

Not directly GOG related, but there's a new game music bundle featuring mostly soundtracks from early nineties video games. GOG frequently has soundtracks as a bonus, but it's nice having them in high quality and properly tagged. I assume most of the earning will also actually go to people like Lee Jackson, Bobby Prince and Alexander Brandon.

Dropped $60 for this! Hoping for Blake Stone and other Prince classics.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

scamtank posted:

I use a weird DosBox custom hackjob that GoG installers either don't recognize as an option or force me to install a new emulator no matter what. I check the specific .conf files for any really weird settings or flags that they deemed necessary, trim the fat and then just replace it all with a MOUNT.BAT to save some typing.

I use DOSBox Game Launcher and edit the configuration from there. It's not always successful, though. For instance, using OpenGLNB as the renderer in the latest Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold 2.0.0 installer they've released, the screen is tiny, with or without scaling. This was a non-issue in the 1.0.0 installer.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I think this is a problem with playing the in-game videos. You could try adding -nointro to the command line of the shortcut.

This is probably it. I had to install a custom codec pack (Shark007) to get SWAT 3 running without issues on Windows 8.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Genpei Turtle posted:

3. The Diplomacy bug in Wizardry Gold that makes befriending NPCs impossible

This is not fixed. However, the other big problem with Wiz Gold—fast dialog—is fixed.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

scamtank posted:

I felt compelled to link this again. Fastway.mid :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhi-7lj7osI

Still the best track of the MIDI era, by far.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Red Mundus posted:

Quick question about SWAT 3. Finally got around to playing it. I'm enjoying it but I find the AI to be really, really, well... dumb. Were there any mods that improved the base game or AI? Google is showing me pretty much nothing but I vaguely remember a huge mod community back in the day.

The Last Resort mod is what comes to mind when I think of a definitive SWAT 3 mod.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

doctorfrog posted:

I personally gave away three games a few years back during a monster sale, and received one, but that only really happened once. GOG kind of engenders an impulse to pad out your personal library, with a sense of ownership that I think is absent from Steam, plus there are just wayyyyy more Steam users than GOG, and a far bigger catalog, so you see a lot more gift giving there.

I'm at 65 gifted and 320 owned GOGs. Those are only going to grow as the sale continues.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Rinkles posted:

Probably primarily the GOG forums, right Commander Keenan?

Exactly. I've been on those boards since the beginning, and that's where the majority of my gifts have gone. No one on SA yet.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Moop Moop posted:

Isometric sci fi shooters with little bits of story between each level where you murder a poo poo load of people using various weapons/explosives/robots.

It also has terrible controls that some people never get used to. I personally enjoyed the games quite a bit but I had to rebind everything.

I love Crusader. This may or may not be evident.

Just bought 23 more GOGs. Help.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

spider wisdom posted:

Yes but tell me whyy

Okay.

Crusader pushed boundaries in the classic Origin Systems way. The creative drive, technologically, how gamers received it. They wanted to oust Doom. (Hence, "non-stop action from a different perspective.") If I'm not mistaken, No Remorse was the first 640x480 video game. High quality tracker music was unheard of in 1995, too.

Crusader—No Remorse especially—molds together all its parts well. Aside from technical limitations, the gameplay is smooth. It's smooth in a Doom-like way, but not as fast or refined. It's about running through rooms, collecting keycards, and blowing dudes in space armor up.

My favorite aspect is the hilariously unwarranted story. The universe is really thought-out for an isometric shooter: an Earth history, the rise of world-size corporations, the colonization of foreign planets. I have design documents of the games; they were really serious in fleshing out a believable universe. As I said, that classic Origin mentality. They even went so far as to tie in Wing Commander and System Shock together with the Crusader universe. (There exists a polarizing argument on if this was just some Origin inside joke or a serious attempt to weave all their games together. Most likely a joke.) I love the progression of the Silencer's deception and reception when he joins the Resistance movement. Richard Cobbett touches on this in this retrospective review.

The FMV sequences are complete cheese, but how Origin did things back then.

Regarding controls: they make complete sense in the way the movement and gameplay is structured. Whether you like them or not is another story. Personally, I never had issues with them. Takes some major adjusting.

At this point, I enjoy it as a historical piece: the attitude of game designers and what gamers wanted in the mid-1990s. They're still fun games if you like setting people on fire, too.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 21, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

teethgrinder posted:

Also the MOD music is outstanding. Play it on Christmas for extra fun.

I have the soundtracks ripped and tagged on my website if you'd like to download them.

SpRahl posted:

And the Ultima series with Wing Commander

Yep! I'm of the camp it was all a big easter egg game.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

teethgrinder posted:

The melody of that reminds me of the SC2 hyperspace music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjpAE_inNlE

I had no idea he was Necros! Just knew him from the ebm/futurepop scene.

He did the Freelancer soundtrack too.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

THE BAR posted:

Think we'll ever get Freelancer on GOG? I haven't seen it in stores since it got released, and my old CD has been put in the no-touchy drawer of games that are valuable to me, and that I'll never find replacements for.

Perhaps. The GOGs scheduled to be released for the rest of 2013 are impressive.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Based on their previous posts, I think Commander Keenan is a GOG employee, but I could be wrong.

I test games for them. There's no public schedule.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Meowbot posted:

The best way to use a PS3 controller with a PS3 is the motioninjoy drivers

There's also the SCP DS3 drivers if you don't like DRM in your drivers.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

teethgrinder posted:

Wow, GOG is approaching 5 years. I apparently signed up September 8, 2008. I remember hearing about Freespace 2 and Fallout 1/2 being for sale and rushing to get them.

September 12, 2008 here. Fallout 1/2/Tactics was my first purchase. Up to 339 games now.

JustJeff88 posted:

Trust me mate, it can get so much worse (case in point: me)

Your name looks familiar! I'm Vagabond on GOG.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

WASDF posted:

Adventure games are such a good medium for horror games. Anyone here play the Chzo Mythos that Yahtzee made? 5 Days a Stranger, Trilby's Notes, 6 Days a Sacrifice, 7 Days a Skeptic? They're all surprisingly great games.

Still some of the best horror games I've played! That one bit in 5 Days (you know the one) still gets to me.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Load up Privateer and fight a Jinscilla Skull. If you win, it's coming.

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 26, 2013

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Lemon Curdistan posted:

OFP has a single player mode? This is news to me!

I never played multiplayer OFP/ARMA until Arma 2. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but it always felt like the series was single-player heavy until Arma 2 really emphasized the multiplayer portion.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Zeether posted:

Wing Commander CIC just revealed during their site's birthday celebration that Wing Commander Armada, Prophecy and Academy will be on GOG along with Privateer 2: http://www.wcnews.com/news/2013/08/11/but-wait-there-s-more

It's pretty exciting! Expect the DVD edition of Prophecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Maybe it's a good time to show off this Privateer 2 thing I have. Autographed by the main dev team of the game: Erin Roberts, Paul Hughes, Phil Mellor and Nick Elms.