Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Seconding Strife, this game is an underdog classic and it should finally get some recognition it deserves.

Would love to see the rest of Epic's back catalogue from the "MegaGames" era. Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2, Zone 66, Epic Pinball. Also, whatever still wasn't re-released from Apogee's early releases: Crystal Caves (ideally bundled with Secret Agent, as those are very similar games), Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure and Monster Bash.

And finally, on the "not gonna happen" side: earliest games by id, when they were making games for Softdisk: Slordax, Shadow Knights, Rescue Rover, and probably the most important one, Hovertank 3D, *the* first iteration of 3D engine by Carmack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I actually have boxed copy of Harvester, picked at thrift some months ago. I found inside (among the 4CD slipcase and manual) a CGW coverdisk, ironically.

In manual they boast that you can kill every NPC in this game, with various weapons. Quality entertainment!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The new release is Sudeki. I vaguely remember it advertised, but never read a single review. Did anyone here played it? Is it as terrible as it looks?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Thankfully, the battle.net account is not necessary and The Lost Vikings seems to be the full, uncut game, same as Blackthorne.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The short demo version was decent, it somehow reminds me Jets n' Guns. For two bucks I'd say go for it.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I have already gifted some good ol' Apogee platformers to my friends, now what is something from the new stuff worth my time? Valdis Story looks neat, did anyone here played Volgarr?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Thanks for the reccomendation, by the look of LP (which is really neat), it's going more in the vein of Legendary Axe from TurboGraphx-16. Bought it already :)
Also seconding Shovel Knight, sadly it's not included in the promo.
And speaking of hard platformers, holy crap is Realms of Chaos brutal. Too bad it looks for the most time quite boring and bosses are terribly designed, otherwise it would be Apogee's hidden gem.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Duke 1 & 2 for 1,99$ is a really good deal. The first one is classic Apogee platformer perfected: lots of exploring, shooting, and collecting myriads of bonus items. The boss battles suck, tho. The second one is kind of mixed bag, on the one hand it's more colorful, has great soundtrack and overall has more stuff, on the other it's much harder and the controls are janky. Still an excellent pure DOS platformer.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Commander Keenan posted:

Including Nitemare 3-D in the Hugo pack would've been great.

Came here to post this. There's no viable explanation for dropping Nitemare from this pack.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

This is so sad. Not only now GOG becomes a weird hybrid of Netflix for documentaries about "gamer culture" and retailer of olden goldies, also Nordic pulls some really good titles that were staples in their offer. I mean, come on, Gothic 2, Painkiller, Full Spectrum Warrior and Freedom Force are drat good games, and the rest of Nordic's catalog also had some fans. This is a really bad day for GOG users of old :(

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I've never played Wacky Wheels, so I quickly hacked together shareware version with DOSBox SVN to check it. If anyone is interested, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dzu2xvtkg3nikz/wwheels.zip?dl=0

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I need a honest opinion about Quest for Glory games, did they really aged badly and are obtuse as some people are saying or are the only savagable pieces from Sierra's adventure catalog?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Oh, I forgot about the VGA remake, shame on me. Gonna check it and then decide what next. Thanks for your recommendations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

A random assortment of shooters is this weekend's promo. Reccomending Slave Zero, it's quite fun straightforward third-person shooter with robots, if you liked mecha missions from Shogo, this will be right down your alley. Alien Shooter games are pretty dumb but fun, if short (main campaign from the first one took me like an hour and half).

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

So, we're going to see a new publisher in 4 days or so? Any hints were dropped?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

But what's the point in it, if they have the original files? It doesn't have any sense

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I too hope for Outlaws, and for pete's sake, let it be with soundtrack. Fragment of this tune played at the end of demo, and goddamn it wakes so much memories I want to weep.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I love LBA, but the sequel was so much better and more refined. LBA2 was the first game I bought with my money, and it was expensive as all hell for my 10yo self. Never regretted it, though.

And what about promised sequel, Didier Chanfray? :argh:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I'm clicking the tickets only for Witcher's OST, too. The music in the first game was excellent, and hopefully the sequel was also good in that regard.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Because some people seem to be interested in the movie, have another code: 7A6FA396139A850BG

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It's kinda unituitive, but DOSBox has it's own keymapper utility, so you can rebind the keys (remember to use alt + right/left arrow for strafing). For disabling the vertical mouse movement, grab the little program described here and just apply it to the Blake Stone's conf file.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

SelenicMartian posted:

Not GOG, but Amiga Forever is having a 72-hour cyborg monday sale or something http://www.amigaforever.com/special/cybermonday-e/

Wow thanks for heads up on this!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Freedom Planet is now on GOG.com, with -50% promo for a week. I've played the demo, like, year and a half ago, but it was pretty fun and it nailed the feeling of 16-bit platformer. There's some truth in statement that it's an overblown Sonic fangame, but it's much, much better than it has any right to be. And apparently one of the unlockable characters turns the game into Gunstar Heroes like shootfest, so that's good.

Also, Pixel Piracy, but I don't know anything about this game, and the reviews I've found are quite sour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It totally had and that was the main reason.

Also, whatever you buy, don't get Chaser. It's really bad.