Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Have you done any torture yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Trash collection is the worst. It made me almost lose the hospital mission with 10 patients to go. I bought all the trashcans I could but I had trouble keeping up.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

The more I play the less I can recommend Inquisitor. If you enjoy plodding slowly wondering what obscure quest trigger you missed from an NPC that's in some location you'll hope to just wander upon, and enjoy slowly hitting a door over and over for 30 goddamn minutes to get past it because you had the audacity to play a priest, you might have more fun than I'm having now.

edit: cool it was trapped and i died

That's disappointing. It has an interesting premise.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I really want to try Outlaws. Is there any place to buy a downloadable copy? Steam doesn't have it. The only place I can find is Amazon, which has some used copies.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

macnbc posted:

Did anyone forget to take the GOG survey and want Realms of Arkania? Cuz I got a spare code.

I'm interested.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
You'd think they could at least release SS1, since it was developed by Origin at around the same time as Ultima Underworld.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Al! posted:

It's good to see GOG finally bringing over some of those old MECC edutainment games.

The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary was pretty rad.

Also - in case anyone was wondering, there's a page for Carmageddon:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/carmageddon_max_pack

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Does anybody know if gog ever plans to their release cross-platform games for other OSes?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
QFG owns.

Has anyone else had trouble exporting their character from QFG1 EGA using scummvm? I played that version (instead of dosbox) because it has a "no dither" mode, but I could never figure out how to export my character.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Blackwell Bundle is on sale. Has anyone played it? Is it any good? I absolutely loved Resonance.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Deakul posted:

DOSBox just tends to run like poo poo for me.
Though, my only real experience with it is with GamersGate's copies of X-COM.

You might need to tweak the SDL settings. That's what I had to do on a few of them.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Bioforge is getting released today.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I've heard good things about Wineskin, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
The Witcher wouldn't stop crashing and freezing on my Mac. On the GOG forums, I found a link to this handy :reddit: thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/macgaming/related/s2bqz/howto_update_the_witcher_enhanced_edition_engine

So far, I haven't been able to reproduce the freezes I was getting pretty regularly.

The link to Winery in the thread doesn't work, but you can get it here:

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Riven is awesome. I have really fond memories of playing it as a kid. It was one of the few adventure/puzzle games I managed to beat with no hints (at the time). I highly recommend it if you enjoyed Myst.

edit: What do you guys mean about "Powerpoint" style?

a starchy tuber fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 7, 2012

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
How do I post my free code for Duke3d here? Do I just post the gift cert code?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

andrew smash posted:

Does anybody know if it's possible to run the geneforge games in a window on OS X?

Edit: forgot that geneforge saga isn't available for mac from GOG but if anybody knows how i would appreciate it nonetheless.

You can install the Windows version to a Wineskin and configure it to run in a "virtual desktop" window. The game will think it's in fullscreen mode.

The only downside is it might capture the cursor. I'm not sure how to free it - perhaps there is a hotkey like in Virtualbox.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Gabriel Knight 1 is a classic adventure game. It's pretty long, it has a great plot, good writing, challenging (but well-done) puzzles, and a killer atmosphere. I think it's my favorite Sierra SCI game.

GK2 is really good for an FMV game. The Grace chapters can get pretty boring, but the Gabriel chapters and the ending make up for it.

I wouldn't bother with GK3 unless you get the bundle. Apart from the graphics, interface, and convoluted puzzles, the story isn't that great.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Deakul posted:

I really hate that they're just doing all of the sales they blasted us with during the End of the World thing.

Though, I really want this city builder pack but I don't want any of the Lords games.

I remember Lords of the Realm 2 and Lords of Magic being good. Never played Lords 1 or 3. Isn't 3 the one with the tower-climbing wolves? It looks terrible, but the other ones are worth a try.

edit: I wish they got Emperor before doing this sale.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
The Cultures games look like Settlers with more micromanagement, which I find strangely appealing. I'll have to pick them up in a couple of days.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Bunch of new Mac versions. I just downloaded the Windows version of Blackwell last night and installed it in Wineskin. :( At least having real mac versions will save me the trouble of configuring them.

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Tower Defense and Match 3 games are what you make when you can't come up with a good idea for a game.

Tower Defense games do get old quickly, but I must admit I enjoyed Anomaly.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
I know for sure that Blackwell and Witcher 1 use Wineskin, because I've had to tweak them to make them playable.

The DOS ones I currently have installed - Theme Hospital, Pirates! and Crusader: No Remorse - all appear to use Boxer.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Oldstench posted:

Guys, what's all the hubbub about?

Just install the disk version.

:smuggo: You did buy it when it came out, right? :smuggo:

My copy is long gone. I will happily buy it again to get a digital copy.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Al Baron posted:

Never played Outlaws, but I played a metric fuckton of Afterlife back in the day.

Saw these guys a lot. :suicide:

The Four Surfers of the Apolcalypso :)

Afterlife is a severely underrated game. I also played it a ton when it came out. I never did make it far enough to get the acrology-style buildings :( I always hit a tipping point where it became maddening to keep up with balance and maintenance. And the disasters were crazy. Hopefully it will see the light of day once again. I don't think you can buy it anywhere these days, except used.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Speak of the devil and he shall appear:

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/304259568794484737

They're either hinting at a deal with Lucasarts, or Star Trek (paramount?). Hopefully both :)

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

al-azad posted:

Atari Promo. If you haven't bought MoO3 you're behind the curve.

I already have Excel. From what I hear, it's more fun :v:

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

teethgrinder posted:

Excel 97 was pretty badass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYb5GUs0dM

Hopefully it'll come to GOG if Microsoft signs on. Maybe they can patch it to fix the speed on modern computers.

After watching that I seriously need to play Hellbender right now.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

andrew smash posted:

Is this a typo? Isn't win7 the default OS for them at this point?

It's the default for new games (and has been for some time), but I think there are still some issues with Win7 on certain titles that have been in the catalog for a long time. A lot have been fixed (like Space Rangers), but a few still have issues (like Sanitarium in W7 64bit).

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Overwined posted:

To me it all depends on whether or not the single player component is 100% functional without a login of any kind. If I have to create an account to go multiplayer, that's fine. But if I choose to avoid online play (and I usually do) it should be something I never have to deal with or think about.

That's what it sounds like to me. Of course, "100% functional" means AI skirmish battles, because there is no single-player campaign planned.

Also - what do they mean that "direct connect" won't require a login? Does that imply that private, ad-hoc internet multiplayer games will be allowed without needing to log-in?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Gearbox has acquired the Homeworld franchise:

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1029/homeworld-acquisition-and-plans/

Given Gearbox's relationship with Valve, this probably means that it's not getting released on GOG anytime soon.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Fallom posted:

What relationship with Valve?

Gearbox did an expansion for Half-Life. I always they had a somewhat close business relationship, but perhaps I'm out-of-date :)

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Speaking of Blackwell, the last game in the series (for now?) is in full development.

http://indiestatik.com/2013/02/20/the-blackwell-epiphany-announced-will-be-the-longest-and-darkest-in-the-series/

I can't wait. It looks it's going to be good.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
So the new Leisure Suit Larry remake was released the other day. I'm glad I decided not to back it on Kickstarter.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
It's a really great game. The first third is kind of a depressing slog, but after that it hits a stride and becomes very compelling.

I need to get around to playing it again so I can try some of the other endings.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
In Evil Genius, I'm having trouble with enemy investigators and low-level agents randomly shooting my lockers. They just stay in the front of my base - I don't keep any heat-generating stuff up there (just barracks, staff room and security desk so far). The two security cameras that cover the corridor outside my barracks don't seem to care. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

a starchy tuber fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 30, 2013

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Section Z posted:

I have no idea why they would be shooting lockers aside from the already suggested "Are they blocking pathing?" On that note, I hear if you put 4 power generators against eachother in a square arrangement it counts that little pixel of air between them as "blocked" and it spawns special mine into your base operatives like pissed off mole men.

Any "Harmless" item that turns out to be useable as an interrogation option will also piss off agents. The only two that come to mind right off are the Mixing Bowl equipped mess hall counter, and the automated book shelves. But I know this has tripped me up more than once in trying to set up the "Legal Lobby Lunch And Lounge" front area.

EDIT: Though even when things go wrong, it's just so hilarious watching the military go berserk on a room full of ping-pong tables and soda machines. I am so bad at this game but I still love it.

They're not blocked as far as I can tell. The corridor is two blocks wide, which is enough room for my couple of dozen minions to move about. Oh well, I guess it means that I'll have a steady supply of torture victims.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
If I already have Settlers 2 Gold, is it worth picking up the Anniversary edition?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Cultures is also pretty good, but horribly, painfully slow-moving.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Hot drat, we have a date.

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/398909064018534401

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

pinacotheca posted:

I don't think they've sent a Kickstarter update about this yet, so it's worth stating that GOG (or Steam, but not both) keys have already been distributed to Wasteland 2 backers, so if you backed it you can log into the Ranger Center and have it on your GOG account right now.

Thank you - I didn't know they'd released those yet. I just got my GOG copy.