Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I want TIE Fighter, updated for 2011 with the awesome music intact without needing a disc in the CD drive so you can hear it. When it sell one million copies that will make Lucasarts create an open world Star Wars space game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

GoldenNugget posted:

Is IW1 worth getting? I have IW2 and played a tiny bit of it.
Yes, the game owns, I have the original CDs and I played it with a joystick. No idea how it plays now as I've not played it since I originally got it all those years ago. There's some pretty neat things in Independence War, too bad nobody will ever make another IW game, since it's a space game. I can't wait until a popular company makes a fun space game so we get 500 clones of it.

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

Never used GOG before but I got a bunch of games off the sale. Some of them have additional stuff listed such as Alone in the Dark has 2&3 listed as additional content. Are those a separate purchase or included in the price with AITD 1? If they are included, are they needed to be downloaded separately or is it all one big package?
When I bought Star Control 1+2 they came in one installer and it put two shortcuts on my desktop. While nice, stop cluttering up my desktop GOG. :argh:

Yaos fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 15, 2011

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

AbstractNapper posted:

So they are actually doing the huge countdown thing too, huh?
It better be Lucastarts/Disney then.
It is, they have some countdown graphics that are in the style of Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Monkey Island.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/spoiler_alert_so_i_dug_into_the_countdown_thingy/page1

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Veib posted:

I've... I've only ever played X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and the expansion Balance of Power. The original ones were way before before I started playing PC games and I just never got around to getting them later on.

Might as well try out how they hold up without the absolutely massive nostalgia bonuses everyone else has. I still have my Sidewinder Precision Pro!

For me, in order of quality it's TIE Fighter->X-Wing Alliance->X-Wing->X-wing Vs. TIE Fighter. I remember playing X-Wing Alliance in multiplayer and somebody said X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter was better. I thought it was terrible.

Worst mission I remember was the pre-trench run of the Death Star in X-Wing. You were supposed to blow up hangers and certain towers, while the hangers were easy to destroy there were tons of towers and no way to target them. I remember just flying around in circles blowing up towers not knowing if I was doing something wrong or not. I had to cheat to get past this mission.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

You know what's weird to me? X-Wing and TIE Fighter both came out before Doom. Doom released in December 1994 1993, X-Wing February 1993, TIE Fighter July 1994. These things were full 3D too.

Edit: drat, Doom released December 1993. My memory is shot, thanks Disney. X-Wing came out almost a year before though.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

It was pointed out in the GOG thread that TIE Fighter of all things is now trending on Facebook. Anybody know if this somehow matches up with all the private data they steal or are a ton of people talking about TIE Fighter now?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

On my computer all I had to do was make a boot disk for the game. Want to play TIE Fighter? Time to reboot! Somehow I got it to where I did not need to use the boot disk, but the game would not have enough memory if I ran anything else first so it was kind of pointless.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Anyone else encounter / know how to fix this?

missions themselves are fine but all of the briefing/lobby stuff is psychedelic.
I remember back in the day games doing this, back then it happened when the color bit depth is not supported by the game. No clue how you can fix it though or if it's the same cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Everything I'm reading says the 360 controller works with Rogue Squadron 3D, but it's not detected for me. Mouse control is unplayable and it appears the game pretends it's an analog stick.