Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

So happy they got EA. I didn't really get into PC gaming hardcore until the release of the first Wing Commander, and then that was all she wrote. I still have most of these games in disk/CD format, but I bought them again today because I support the company and what they're doing is awesome. Can't wait to play Crusader: No Remorse again, and I've always wanted to play U7, so here's hoping. Plus the Looking Glass games from the 90s are pretty much fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Harmonica posted:

Wow, I'd actually forgotten that was a thing at the time. You're right, that was amazing. Long live SB16.

In a roundabout way, the SoundBlaster was what made me a PC gamer.

Up until 1990, most of my time was devoted to console stuff. In the 80s I had various TRS-80s and Cocos (my dad was a long-time Radio Shack devotee), and we finally got an IBM compatible PC in the late 80s. In 1988, I bought Battletech: The Crescent Hawks' Inception (in glorious CGA!) and that opened me up to PC stuff.

Then, in 1990, my dad got me a 386. The following spring, I talked him into buying me Wing Commander, a joystick and a SoundBlaster card.

:aaa:

After watching this sequence for the first time, I knew PC games could be loving awesome.

Each release of a WC game, I'd tell my dad it was coming and he'd smile and say, "How much is it setting me back this time?" Fortunately my dad was (and still is) a huge tech geek, so he loved getting this stuff and messing around with it.

True story, installing WC2 with the speech pack fried my PC's hard drive at the time, so we had to get a new one. That was the longest three days of my life waiting for the new hard drive to arrive. WC3 particularly brought on an epic session of wrangling with EMS/XMS to get that one to work, and also heralded the first CD drive for a PC I owned. Man, keeping up with Origin games was expensive back in the day.

It was a banner day for me when I got a 486/DX2 and could play finally play X-Wing at less than a crawl.

God, I'm old, aren't I?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

OptimusShr posted:

Starflight 1 and 2 now available

I haven't played the DOS versioon but I played the Genesis remake of Starflight 1, pretty good game.

I played the Genesis version of SF1 and the PC version of SF2 back in the day - really fun games. Will definitely be picking these up.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Just wanted to chime in and say that Starflight is awesome, and its plot has one of my all-time favorite "oh poo poo" moments in a game story when you find out the motivation of the main threat.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Charles Martel posted:

God, I wish games still had cool installation programs like the older Command & Conquer games and CD-Keys were still a thing, because it's way better than what we have now (compared to the real DRM poo poo we have to put up with in other places).

The one that always stuck out in my mind was for the 1998 Battlezone remake - mainly just audio but it sets the mood perfectly (great music too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucBEdgsre-0

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

So that was a little over two hours to get half of them sold? Ugh.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Rogue Legacy for free...for approximately .5 seconds.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Kings Bounty Crossworld was free for a fleeting moment.

...and picked up Anvil of Dawn, nice.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

radlum posted:

Work computer can't log in to Paypal, now I have to use my phone to enter, but it takes me 5 minutes just to log in to Paypal. First Jack Keane and now this. It's like the universe doesn't want me to spend 2 dollars on a game I'll never play.

This is why I'm working from home today. I almost wish they'd throw up Keane again so I can get some work done.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Ultima Underworld pack is up.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

pvax posted:

If they don't skip elsewhere again ... Baldur's Gate 2 should be up next after Lucius

Is there a list somewhere of what games they're selling? Looked for one earlier but all I saw were announcements of the sale.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Thanks!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Uh oh, Jack Keane is within this possible group :stare:

^^^the fear grows!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Rirse posted:

Did my eyes deserve me or the game went from free to $2.50?

I saw the same thing. 40 copies for free.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Picked up Startopia, and I'm out. Managed to get through half of my wishlist games in one day for just under $10. Pretty fun!

Oh ho, they're listing ROTT as "last chance"...we're at the end I think.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

This was probably the only WC game I purchased back in the day that I was truly disappointed with (I skipped Academy). Just felt like there wasn't much to it.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Xander77 posted:

Just to be sure - anything I can think of in the "Good OLD games" category is going to be in "Timeless Classics", right?

I would assume so, considering I picked the "Timeless Classics" box yesterday and was shown the 2004 Bard's Tale remake. Although that's a tricky one because they built the old Bard's Tale in, so it technically could go under classics...

Picked classics again today and got The Lost Express.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

2004 is almost a decade old now.

Ugh, don't remind me.

I'm old enough that when I think of GoG, I'm thinking of games pre-2000.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Of course the Wizardry games are the only things I'm really interested in on my wishlist - a pack with them is up for vote for tomorrow's deals but the D&D pack is killing it in the votes.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

scamtank posted:

They were the first daily deal. Of course nobody's interested now.

You mean in the Steam autumn sale, not this GOG one, right? Thought I was going crazy for a moment.

I dunno, I don't like buying the older games on Steam, so I held off getting them there the other week.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Kangra posted:

They're really influential and worth checking out for the history, and all the details in the backstory and interactions can still be enjoyed. If you don't mind early 90's interfaces, it's a good one to play around in.

e: Beaten on Ur-Quan Masters, but I don't know much about it.

Ur-Quan Masters is the 3DO version of Star Control 2 ported to modern PCs. And it's free.

I had SC1 on the Genesis, it was fun only for the combat mode - played that a ton with friends. The strategy portion is not so great.

I spent hours on SC2 when it came out, it's definitely a classic.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Mr. Fortitude posted:

WC 1 and 2 are fun but I remember the Secret Missions expansions being pretty bad and unfair by having you fly in really crappy ships against tough odds. Buggy too since sometimes I'd win the mission but for some reason the game thought I'd failed and I was put on the losing track as a result.

I never played the WC2 special operations expansions, but yeah, the Secret Missions for WC1 are really tough for the reasons cited above and because both only have one "winning" mission track and if you screw up, you're put on the losing track with no way back (whereas you could lose then come back to win in the original campaign). Secret Missions 2 was fun if only for the novelty of doing a few missions in a Dralthi, and the story is a little more interesting than SM1's, which is basically "welp gotta keep going and destroy the big ship."

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

So glad I got everything I wanted to pick up on GOG by the end of their last Xmas sale, so I can sit this one out.

Still going to laugh if they do another Jack Keane.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Driftmoon is a nice little indie rpg, I enjoyed playing it.

Guild: Gold Edition for 1.99 is up.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Bwhahaha, that's hysterical - Jack Keane 2, 18,000 copies for 2.99!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I made the mistake of not checking my GOG wishlist after the sale started; I mistakenly thought it was empty. Actually, I had the Quest for Glory pack on there, and I missed it the first two times it was up.

It's going to come up soon, when I'm otherwise not near my PC or phone, just because that's how this all works.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Got it. Now I can rest :)

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

You bastard!

I bought QfG on release day ($10 for 6 games, you cheap gits!), but I grabbed an extra copy on the Last Chance because I knew that it was a hot property that would go fast. I was saving it for Bruteman here, but he got this so I will spoiler the key below. Again, don't be a twat: only take it if you'll actually play the sodding thing and let us know if you redeem it.

CVRT-RLPA-WBDN-H8YC

Thanks for doing that! Hope it doesn't get lurked.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

http://www.gog.com/news/release_warhammer_40000_chaos_gate

Wow, Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate is finally out, never thought i'd see that.

Oh crap - yeah I never thought I'd see this again either. I bought it long ago when it came out and lost the CD while moving.

come to chaos...

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Huh, I thought this sounded familiar - I have the Forgotten Realms D&D Silver Archives thing on CDROM, and Menzoberranzan and Dungeon Hack were included with the Gold Box games in that set. Guess they had to negotiate separately for those.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

The Kins posted:

:siren::siren::siren:BETHESDA AND ID SOFTWARE ARE NOW ON GOG:siren::siren::siren:

Battlespire, Redguard and Morrowind for 33% off
Doom 1, 2, Final Doom, Quake 1 and the Quake 1 expansions for 33% off
Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics return to GOG for 66% off

Arena and Daggerfall are free with any Bethesda purchase, seeing as they were released as freeware years ago.

:vince:

Always wanted to try Redguard...

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

obese retard posted:

The Chronicles of Riddick:
HPMA9A60A514C0E378

Grabbed this, thank you!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

FYI they're doing the flash sale thing again (no Jack Keane 2 so far).

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Weird, GOG Connect recognized Ziggurat from my Steam library but not The Last Federation, wonder what that's about.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Harsh but fair.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

ymgve posted:

Why does the chest have tubes connected to it

Why is he in a chest at all

You've never seen those fishtank decorations with the chest that occasionally opens and burps out air?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoYRcfaoeGc

edit - replaced with a better example

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, it put itself in the same directory as your system files. I think there were a few other games that have done that one.

Myth 2 was one of them iirc

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

So GOG has their "Spring Sale" going on.

It's funny because none of the (older) games on my wishlist are on sale.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

So if you were to choose one (or two) Delta Force games to play, what would they be?

I was always interested in playing the first two but never got around to buying them.

I don't care about the graphics, hell I loved Terra Nova and that was a pixelated mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I got an email from GOG saying a bunch of things on my wishlist are on sale from now until April 17th, but none of them are on sale when I go to the website.

It's all the Forgotten Realms Archive packs, and the Krynn, Dark Sun and Ravenloft series.

:argh: What gives, GOG?

edit: Ah they must have jumped the gun, they're up now - it's apparently part of a D&D sale to help kick off the release of Planescape EE.

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 11, 2017