Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

FLX posted:

All that talk about Giants: Citizen Kabuto has made me remember Armed and Dangerous which was made by the same company and played really similar to Giants as well. It was rather short but I really liked the atmosphere and the crazy setting.

Armed and Dangerous was awesome; my mate and I played it through together and laughed our asses off at the humor in it. Sadly, like with most games based on jokes and humor, the game is a lot less fun the second time through when you know all the jokes already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Zat posted:

Teenagent for $0. Oh, yes. :)

Wow, I played a demo of this many, many years ago... I didn't even play it all that long, I'm surprised I knew what game it was the second I saw the title.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

BadAstronaut posted:

Strange, they are totally visible in this unpatched version 1.2 I have here...
(or is that 1.02, I cant remember)

Trying KillApp's now...

Kids were only removed from the European release of Fallout 2. That said, even Europe has some copies of the version with kids in it that came in through various means, be it import versions or (as I got) ones that came with certain magazine/club subscriptions. The version I bought new in Norway had kids removed, and the one I got from some magazine thing my uncle bought had the kids in it.

I don't know what version GoG has, but I'd assume it's the original uncensored release.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Horn posted:

In case anyone else is wondering the site is G2Buy.com. They also sell cheap starcraft/brood war and WC3 keys (no frozen throne though :().

If you register plain Starcraft at the Blizzard store, you get Brood War for free as it didn't come with a separate CD key.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I've tried the series not too long ago, but couldn't really get into it. To me they don't seem to have aged all that well, so unless you played it way back when it might not be all that much fun. Then again, it's not a huge monetary loss if you end up not liking it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, Septerra Core was pretty "meh" even back then. I think I got as far as meeting a girl mechanic with artificial legs or something... no idea how far into the game that is, but I lost interest soon after that.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

drat, I loved Lords of the Realm back in the day, but by the time I had a PC able to play the sequel I had long forgotten it. Bought.

Now to go watch my grain stocks get eaten by rats again and again and again and....

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Sylphosaurus posted:

I always wanted to try Republic. Was it any decent or did it end up being way too ambitious for it's own good?

It sadly never lived up to the hype. I read the previews back then with great expectations and got it when it came out, but after a couple of hours of fiddling around with in neither my friend nor I had much interest in trying to make sense of it. It's so long ago I can't even remember in what ways it didn't meet my expectations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm tempted to get HoMM II and III again... my HoMM II CD was so well used it was worn nigh-unreadable many years ago, and I don't even know where my HoMM III disc(s?) are anymore.

God I feel old now.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Grawl posted:

The new Gem of the Week is Simon the Sorcerer. It's a gem alright. I like 2 better (and anything upward is just horrible), but this isn't a bad game in any way.

Only bummer with it is that unlike almost every other adventure game out there, you can do mistakes that makes you permanently stuck and unable to progress (without dying or anything obvious telling you that you're not going anywhere).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

MW posted:

This isn't true, at least not for Simon the Sorcerer.

I managed to get stuck once, back in the day. If it was possible to recover from it at all, I couldn't find out how. Restarting the game and not doing that silly thing over again worked though.

Or well, so I think. But considering just how many years ago it was, I'm not going to say with 100% certainty that I'm remembering it completely right. I can't even remember what it was. I vaguely remember a patrolling... orc? Troll? Something like that. And trying to use something on him that I shouldn't, making me lose that item, and having no way of getting it back.

But like I said, it's been a godawful number of years since then, so I'm not going to claim I'm remembering it completely correctly (or that it was indeed impossible to recover from, but it did seem like it back then).

As much as I hate to admit it... thank god for Gamefaqs/the internet.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I guess with Sierra it was more of a business model, since the consequences of a wrong decision could take hours and hours to show up, leaving people dependent on the hotlines that cost a fortune to call regularly.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Goddamn this thread. At first I was "well, there's nothing there I want anyway, but I guess it can't hurt to take a look..."

5 minutes later: "Your shopping cart: $48.30" Fffffffffffffff

And I even own 5 of the games already, but GoG windows optimization... :(

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Maybe I'm just severely dyslexic, but to me it seems to say "Expect the unexcelled" :v: . I wonder what they could possibly have that could (for me) top the Fallout games as far as excellence goes, while still being considered "old" (not that they've been too focused on that aspect with some of the titles)

AG3 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 22, 2010

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

teethgrinder posted:

This is my wish. I would buy/rebuy almost everything.

Oh man, I remember when I got Syndicate when I was 15, it was bundled with my first CD-ROM (double speed!) and Soundblaster 16 card. I loved that game to bits. I'd rebuy Syndicate fully GoG-ready in a heartbeat.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

glug posted:

Did they do much to the fallout games to improve their playability? I probably haven't fired up my originals in a couple of years, but I recall they had mods and whatnot out there to help them play better at higher rez and whatnot. Tell me about the Fallout updates please.

PS: Psychonauts was the most awesome loving game.

I'm not sure if GoG did much with the Fallout games, although I recall a couple of decent (some would say essential) fan patches that fixed various bugs with the games. While I bought both Fallout games from GoG, I haven't actually played them since I kinda played them both to death with the originals.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Blodskur posted:

Atari in April.

:woop:

This is the best news ever! I own both Master of Magic and Master of Orion 2, still have the discs and everything (scratched to hell, but still readable), and I'll still buy them on GoG when they arrive.

Master of Magic is probably tied with Transport Tycoon Deluxe as the game I've spent the most hours of my life on.

Well, after World of Warcraft, but that doesn't count and is not something I'm proud of :smith:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

AxeManiac posted:

I purchased this game back in the day and it felt like it took a degree just to get it running. I have it running in DOS box now, but yeah, it is flaky and slow. Going to buy the hell out of this when it comes out.

Never played Outcast, this should be interesting.

I've found that Master of Magic runs decently if you've got the PC for it, but you need to crank up the cycles massively (which I guess also requires a semi-decent PC). I think I set it to something like 20.000-30.000 cycles, and it runs ok then on my Q6600 at 2.4GHz, and that's hardly a top of the line CPU.

Just running it at auto makes it slow as heck.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

AxeManiac posted:

How does it feel to be a liar? Does it make you feel like a big man?!?!? HUH>!?!

That game is a pain in the rear end to get running right, even back in the day on the actual hardware. You must have a magic computer.

DosBox plus Master of Magic is slow as hell unless you manually ramp up the cycles to 20.000+. After that it works pretty much like it did in the old days, even faster on my PC. Except it's easier to get sound working properly now.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm all over that Master of Orion double deal! I even have an original, still working copy of MOO2 on my very desk and I'm still buying it. I'm amazed that they bundled both games for just $5.99 too, I would've easily bought both of them separately.

Shab posted:

Does MoO2 have networked multiplayer support? I'd never leave my house.

It has network play, modem, null modem cable play and hotseat play. I'm not sure if they are hard to make work though.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 20, 2010

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Because I got burned with Interstate 76 for not working on Windows 7 after trying all of their solutions, I just want to make sure that Moo 1 and 2 work for Windows 7?

I've played the original version of MoO2 in DosBox on Win 7 64bit, so I don't see why GoG wouldn't get it to work. I even preferred the Dos (and DosBox) version to the native Win95 version of MoO2 when I played it on XP.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Weedle posted:

I'd like to see Shadow President on GOG. It's the only game of its kind of which I'm aware (excluding the sequel, CyberJudas [its actual name]). You play as the President of the United States and you can do pretty much whatever you want with regards to national and international politics. You just have to make sure you're popular enough to get re-elected, because otherwise it's Game Over when the presidential election rolls around.

What I'd really like to see, though, is a proper sequel/remake. Shadow President starts in 1990, and it's assumed that everything that happened in real life prior to that date also happened in the game. So much crazy poo poo has happened on the world stage over the past two decades that a version of Shadow President that starts in 2010 and takes into account the fall of the Soviet Union, the Persian Gulf War, the 2000 election, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, etc. would be radically different.

(fun fact: Shadow President is the game that that "nuking Israel" gif came from.)

I remember buying this game for cheap aaaaages ago. Was a lot of fun pretending to be the president of the US. And getting assassinated/kicked out for wanton nuking of random upstart countries.

Also invading Iraq (and doing it right the first time :colbert: )

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Weedle posted:

Small Guns, Lockpick, and Speech generally serve me well.

Alternatively Small Guns (mandatory I'd say), First Aid or Doctor and Speech or Barter. Money can be tighter than in Fallout 2. Also, prepare to be dismayed by the minor changes they did to the Fallout 2 interface that are missing from the Fallout 1 version. It's not huge, but it was enough for me to never really manage to replay Fallout 1 after finishing the second game a few times, even though I played Fallout 1 first.. Of course, I might just be sensitive/asinine about that sort of thing and it won't bother you at all :)

It's a shame too, because in many aspects Fallout 1 is better than its successor.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
You WILL take far more losses with strategic combat than tactical combat. Auto-resolve in games have never really been in favor of the player in most games, and it is especially true in Master of Orion 2.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Big Sean posted:

I've been told if you throw enough marines at them to capture them, you can salvage them to take their advanced tech, but that seems a bit on the cheesy side to me, so maybe you want to skip that.

It's possible, but if you manage to capture it they have a 50% chance of self-destructing, so unless you abuse saving/reloading a lot it's not really all that great. You also more or less need to make ships specifically designed to capture them for that, which isn't practical early on.

Also, if you're willing to use a custom race, Lucky is a cheap perk that will make Antarans attack you less often since they'll head for your opponents far more often instead. It also has the benefit of making bad random events skip you. It's a decent beginner perk for making sure you don't get overwhelmed.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Blodskur posted:

Master of Magic is now available on GOG for $5.99.

Instant buy for me, even though I have the original CD and even the manual and spell book still. If there was ever a GoG title that deserved a purchase, it's this one.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Orgone Accumulator posted:

Jesus, is Moo2 coded to rape you with Antarans whenever you're doing well? I'm playing as the Bulrathi and just wiped out the pathetic Humans and took their homeworld. I get an Antaran attack on one of the former human colonies and accept it as a write-off, but then literally like 10 turns later there's another attack on my homeworld that wipes out my entire fleet before I can even take a turn. What the gently caress. I tried cheesing my way out of it by loading old save games but it happens every time. I'm convinced the game is just being a dick because it doesn't want me to have two sweet planets from which to spam my waves of lovely kamikaze missile boats (the Porcupine III). I have to remember to turn that option off next game.

Antarans will almost always go for the player, unless you have the Lucky racial. Especially if you're doing well.

Orgone Accumulator posted:

Also as somebody who knows nothing about Master of Magic, would people say it holds up well today? I think somebody in this thread said it was like Civ with tactical combat which sounds great to me. I've seen the screenshots and the graphics don't bother me.

Gameplay wise saying it's like Civ with tactical battles is pretty accurate. You also have the added element of magic spells both for combat and overland casting, monster summoning, hero raising/equipping, etc. I'd say it holds up very well. The AI is a bit shite and diplomacy is more or less useless since the AI tends to be hyper aggressive after a certain amount of time, but you can still get some spell trading done early on.

It's definitely worth playing even today.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Hemish posted:

Thanks for the info! I didn't think of reading this thread a second time around the MoO2 release to see if people had posted interesting links.

I have another small question. When I right click on a planet, it shows me how much the Food, Worker and Research bonus will be. Is there a way to get a "final" number? I keep trying to compare with other colonies and I have to check each planet default settings, check each colony if I have structures that gives more bonuses and also check my leaders...

So I'm just wonderinf if I'm missing some kind of page where those numbers are calculated. I see lots of +XX% and +3 to XYZ but the math don't seem to be done in my menus, which makes it a bit hard to keep track.

I'm starting to have fun though. I should restart my game and see if I can remove the Antanrans. They're utter dicks and with the NON tactical combat setting I'm using, until I get used to the rest of the game, they make me lose colonies left and right.

Someone should make a nice MoO2 thread! :eng101:

If you enter a colony and click on the resource itself (food, production, research) in the colony window, it will show all the factors that affects the production of that resource on that colony, down to a decimal. I don't believe there is one that allows you to compare colonies at a glance though.

Hemish posted:

I'm starting to have fun though. I should restart my game and see if I can remove the Antanrans. They're utter dicks and with the NON tactical combat setting I'm using, until I get used to the rest of the game, they make me lose colonies left and right.

I'm pretty sure Antaran attacks can be disabled from the menu when you start a new game (it's an option called "Antarans attack", not surprisingly). Unless that's what you meant :shobon:

AG3 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 27, 2010

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
That must be a little too retro and/or obscure for me, I don't recognise any of those titles.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I doubt it was on purpose but I think this is pretty funny.

I actually clicked on that white arrow :ughh:

I bought Caesar III the other day (despite still having the original CD... somewhere), looking forward to some old-school city building strategy. It didn't take more than 2 or 3 missions before I remembered why I never finished the entire campaign in that game. I really hate the reliance on walkers to find everything they need and covering your population, since intersections confuse them and can send your residences in a constant spiral of evolving and devolving due to lack of food or luxuries.

It's a drat shame, because I love everything else about it.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

AxeManiac posted:

I'll keep an eye on that, in the meantime, is Castle 1 &2 worth my time? I dunno it if it is too old or not. I can play games like MOM and MOO no problem, but not sure if I would like Castles.

I played Castles 2 back in the day, and it was "kinda fun" then, but I wouldn't say it has aged well. It has a very distinctive "strategy light" feel to it. Basically, you have a limited amount of actions you can do at any given time, which means you spend a lot of time doing nothing. Gathering materials, hiring troops etc all take up the time of "advisors", so you end up waiting for them to finish and become available to do something else.

I think if you played it back then and enjoyed it you might get something out of it, but not all that much. If you're looking for a medieval Britain strategy game, Lords of the Realm (the first one) is more entertaining and engaging (even if some of the random events can get annoying).

Castles feels nothing like MOM/MOO at all, as it's real-time (just very slow real-time) and had no real "in-depth" managing of territories.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 30, 2010

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Meh, I always liked the first Lords of the Realm game better, although that might be because I played it "back then", which I didn't do with the sequel. For some reason the second game just didn't click with me.

Neither of them can hold a candle to MOO/MOM anyway.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
This is one of the reasons why pure life wizards are so game-breaking. Start with Stream of Life, cast on city, set tax rate to max and everyone is still happy. Unrest isn't too hard to manage though unless you lack the economy to build enough buildings like temples, or you're playing a race with very few of them. Unless of course you can't afford to lower taxes a bit until the next shrine/temple/parthenon/cathedral is finished.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Big Sean posted:

Eh I just gave the stream of life build a try... it was pretty good, probably better if I had picked elves, but I think invulnerability is still probably better if you are going 11 life.

Stream of Life is better if you're left/leave others alone long enough for Invulnerability to not see much use. If you're going to use units a lot though, Invulnerability might be a better pick. Provided you can afford those units, of course (which Stream of Life helps with).

I won't say that Invulnerability isn't hilariously useful/broken/overpowered though. Paladins + Invulnerability is especially insane, since Invulnerability also removes 3 (or was it 4?) points of damage from the first attack that is even capable of damaging them, and paladins are pretty nasty to begin with.

I can never play as anything but High Men, despite knowing how cheap it is :( I also annihilate/conquer any neutral High Men towns I see immediately before the computer can capture them, just so I won't have to deal with Paladins myself later.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And getting the original Tomb Raider games would be kind of cool. And maybe the lovely FF7 and 8 ports with the fan patches already applied.

Getting FF7 and 8 with the PSX music instead of the lovely midi they shipped with would be awesome. That said, I still preferred the PC version of FF8 to the PAL PS version, since the graphics were better and it didn't have the slower animations that the PAL Playstation version did. I never really noticed it either until I was at a mate's place and he played the NTSC version on a modded PS. I was blown away by how much quicker and more fluid the map movement and battle animations were compared to the PAL version. He always bought the NTSC version of games for that reason (and he got titles that us dirty Europeans usually never got). God, was I jealous then...

The only thing the slow battle animations for PAL FF8 were good for was timing the Renzokuken triggers. They were pretty much impossible to miss on PAL.

I can't imagine Square Enix signing up with them though. Of course, If they did I'd be all over their catalogue.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Dominic White posted:

One game I'd love to see GoG adopt is Incubation. A very nice Space Hulk-ish turnbased tactical combat game. A lot of the missions played like puzzles, giving you very limited space to maneuver, limited equipment, and some very tricky alien formations to cut through.

Incubation was awesome. Pretty challenging though, the first time I played it I dropped it in frustration. Restarted it a year or two later and had a much better time with it. I can't remember well, but I seem to remember that some of the weapon choices were unintuitive or just outright bad for some reason, and that some upgrade paths were hard to understand. Can't really remember though... Hmm, I should rummage through my game stash some day and see if I can't find the game again...

Right after I work through my enormous Steam and GoG list of games I've yet to play a single time...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Blodskur posted:

Master of Orion 3 is now on GOG for $9.99.

Might as well just rename the site to OG.com now :v:

Jesus, I remember the massive disappointment of buying this game the day it came out here, sitting down with it in massive anticipation and excitement, and... well, this game is so bad it's enough to send MOO fans in rabid denial of its existence, for good reason. It's an abomination, the epitome of bad sequels, the X-COM: Enforcer of the MOO series, only worse.

Some say it's decent if you mod it very, very much, but I've had enough disappointments from this game to give that a try. It'll never be the sequel to MOO2 that was supposed to improve on everything MOO2 did.

:emo: :emo: :emo:

The manual was ok though...

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I was just looking through my stash of old, old games to try and find Caesar II (which isn't on GoG sadly) and man it's been too long since I've seen some of those games. Several times I caught myself thinking "Wait, I actually own that game? Wow..."

One of the real gems of old gaming I found was SimCity Enhanced, which I'd love to get on GoG (but I'm not sure why, I got the CD right here). It was just regular old SimCity with better graphics, but it had video advisers like Civ II, except better, and they'd pop up whenever something wasn't right. Sometimes you'd also get short videos depicting your sim's lives, and news reports when disasters struck (and randomly at other times). I just checked YouTube, and someone awesome actually uploaded some of the vids (though sadly not the main one I was looking for). Time for a stroll down memory lane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JoA9JnBTtw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esi5bRgH3jk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y7FsRpk-lY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfouzLxyWyc

AG3 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 6, 2010

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

SixOhSix posted:

I beat my purchase of Arcanum, that's some dedication. :colbert:

I played it for 2 hours before putting it down. I don't know why I bought it; I didn't even like it the first time I played it way back when. I guess I hoped I would like it better. Not sure why it never clicked with me.

I've not installed most of the games I bought on GoG, there's even some I've never played even back in the old days. I try to tell myself that as far as collection hobbies go, collecting old games I'll never (re)play is fairly cheap :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
When downloading through the web browser, big files getting corrupted seems to be more the rule than the exception for me. Which is a bit of a pain in the rear end when I've downloaded something like the Lord of the Rings Online client at nearly 10GB or something. Heck, it's annoying enough with smaller files if I'm getting a lousy download speed.

Thankfully this isn't that much of an issue for games that use their own downloaders, or Steam for that matter, since they probably verify the integrity of separate pieces throughout the download.

But yeah, downloading big files straight through the browser seems to carry a significant risk of corruption, at least in my experience.