Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Until replaying it thanks to GOG, I had no idea Normality had 3 divergent paths in the middle of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Since the counter is moving at a regular speed, has anyone figured out when GOG expects to hit 6 million?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Hemish posted:

Anyway, long story short. With friends' french copies or :filez: around the years 1998-2002, I started characters and spent so much time trying to roll good stats! So long that when the game was finally started I needed a break... and never came back to the game.... multiple times.

haha This is how ToEE went for me.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I forget, did they say you'd get anything if you already own Broken Sword?
You get the pleasure of knowing more people get to experience the game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Amethyst posted:

The popularity of quick time events in modern games is, to me, extremely surprising. I don't know anyone who likes them.

It's an easy way to include something exciting in a game without having to bother thinking of gameplay related to that idea whatsoever.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

If any of you who want to play I Have No Mouth do manage to get your hands on a copy, it IS covered by ScummVM, so while GOG would be great for distribution, compatibility is already covered.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Everyone play Normality.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

SpruceZeus posted:

Yeah so far all the games they've put on sale have been ones I'm either not interested in or already own.

Oh, the next games are The Whispered World and Trine, by the way.

I must assume that Trine is losing by so much because everyone in the world owns it already.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Everyone and their brother probably own two copies of it by now thanks to the humble bundle and/or it going on sale for $2 that one time on Steam.

Also I think some people are just voting for the other game since it is $15 on gog while the Trine is just $10.

When I've had no opinion through this, I've actually been voting for the cheaper one, so hopefully someone gets a cool game they wanted for $2.39.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

A few months ago I went to play Freddy Pharkas for the first time. Hit the copy protection, found that Al Lowe actually provides it on his website, and then never went back to the game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Al! posted:

Whereas Duke to me was Hollywood Holocaust and then a bunch of space stations and sewers.
Duke is probably the biggest example of frontloading the good stuff in the shareware areas.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Haha, the average price to get two games is more expensive than just buying both games normally.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

- new pinup calendar for The Witcher 2

The Witcher 1 calender actually just updated.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

If they do go this route and it harps up something close to Desura, I see no problems. Nothing I want mind you, but I'm not even sure if Desura has any DRM in it since it acts more like a front end for their community and optional patching of installed games.

Desura is very friendly. Their client is optional (though they do strongly encourage it), you can download your games directly from their website. Desura itself is not DRM and does not have DRM, but they allow games to have their own DRM.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Alasyre posted:

This has probably been asked a hundred times, but can someone explain why it's so hard to get expansions for the games GOG already has? Seems like they'd ask for both at the negotiating table. I want my Alien Crossfire.

EA is weird.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Are ANY of the lowest tier games worth getting?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

PureRok posted:

I didn't even notice those games were on GOG yet. Why isn't Blood Omen on there as well? I can't play the whole series if I can't start from the beginning again.

They said it was a last minute rights issue. They had both Blood Omen 1 and 2 ready and just decided to stop sitting on 2 while they work on getting 1 out.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LbK3s7Xooo

haha This is one of the games in the bottom tier of the Interplay deal.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

al-azad posted:

Kingdom is a butchered port of the arcade game Thayer's Quest by the Dragon's Lair guys. Unlike Dragon's Lair it's a Choose Your Adventure type game instead of a crazy reflexes game. If you're really interested (and it's a neat little project that never had the popularity of Dragon's Lair) the DVD usually comes packed with Dragon's Lair 1, 2, and Space Case.

If I'm really interested, this costs whatever I want starting at 1 cent.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm not trying to argue with you, but why is this the case? I remember installing all of my games to C:\games (:allears: memories) but never minded the move to Program Files when Windows 95/98/whatever took over.

Windows wants programs to be storing permanent files in Program Files, and files that change somewhere else, like your My Documents. Many old games don't really have good rules about where to make their save files and probably do it in the same folder as they exist, which can require you run the game as administrator.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Interplay really must be hemorraging money. That's the second sale of theirs in, what, two weeks?

They lose the rights to the old Fallouts at the end of the year. They want to get as many people as possible to buy them now.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Residual is at the point where Grim Fandango is completeable. That's not exactly the state at which GOG could use it, but if you want to play the game now, it's not too bad.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I just want them to continue the project of remaking those SCUMM games with updated graphics. Did they stop because they were unprofitable?

They stopped because Lucasarts changes their entire focus every few years.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

In addition, Witcher 2 went down to $7.49 over the Thanksgiving sales but, even though I wanted it (and I certainly couldn't argue with the price), I held off because it's on GOG and I will wait until it goes on sale there for $15 or less. Yes, I am willing to pay twice as much to get a game on GOG - I feel that strongly about DRM and have that much affection for GOG's business and distribution model.

GOG will actually provide you a GOG copy of Witcher 1 or 2 for free if you give them a serial number from somewhere else, like a Steam copy.

http://www.gog.com/witcher2/backup

Though buying it directly from GOG does give them more money. :)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

Here is the proper key to my little Interplay pack. Since this is a new page, I'll relist the games contained:

Descent + Descent 2
Descent 3 with Expansion
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Battle Chess Special Edition

UZQX-SCWE-QDYF-GTVL

Again, if you have any leftovers, please re-gift.

I just got Descent + Descent 2 from this. It said the Fallout games are still on it but I have them. Thanks!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

It means whatever the marketing department at that publisher wants it to mean and nothing more.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

It's goofy when you can get Duke Nukem 1+2 for $2.39 right now.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Pyromancer posted:

I wonder what did they do with music for GOG release since it was originally CD tracks on game CD.

I know for some games with set ups like this, a disc image is actually included.

For Normality, you can actually switch out the voices to the American version by swapping it out.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

It's interesting it took them this long to add DLC and to do it with this game. There's a few indie games (Spacechem) on there already that have dlc on Steam but it is bundled in on GOG.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I'm wondering how GOG is distributing that Omerta dlc. Knowing those guys from Tropico, there's gonna be a good amount of tiny dlc like that, is each going to have a separate installer? That seems really goofy to me. I can understand have a separate installer for something large like an expansion pack on an old game, but if say I bought Crusader Kings 2 on GOG, I sure wouldn't bother installing all their flags and faces dlcs.

Letting Steam handle that, or actually mods through Steam Workshop, is a definite advantage to their client program model.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Sombrerotron posted:

I think someone in my office - whose exact age I don't know, but must be around 21 - doesn't even know what a diskette is. :smithicide:

a real life save icon

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I think it's very impressive that Tales of Monkey Island isn't complete garbage.

Unfortunately, this clouds my ability to tell if it's actually good or not.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

VisAbsoluta posted:

All I know is that if this came out today, a lot of people would be yelling "furry poo poo!" without even glancing at the game, and that's sad.

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/341927391591018496

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

macnbc posted:

Well, not quite EVERY LSL game. But all of the good ones. The ones GOG doesn't have in their catalog aren't worth mentioning.
Bad news:
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/leisure_suit_larry_magna_cum_laude_uncut_and_uncensored

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

They did this during their winter sale as well. I don't get it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Not sure why they would remake the original game (games?) instead of just making an all-new LSL game with the same mechanics as Love For Sail, which is undeniably the best point-and-click adventure game ever designed.

They don't have the rights to make a new game yet, only the rights to remake the old ones. They are gonna keep doing these until they can get the full rights or until people stop buying them.

I hope they get to do 2 and 3.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Jamesman posted:

And I imagine they don't mail you a CyberSniff2000 card with your purchase, do they? :(

You get a scanned version haha

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

http://groupees.com/undead

If you were interested in Zafehouse Diaries, this bundle dropped from requiring you to buy 2 things to just 1 thing. So, its minimum is now 75 cents.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

I'm pretty sure that that sort of information would be kept pretty close to the vest to ensure maximum sales. If you want it now, or I would say you're gonna have to go Steam, GOG, or wait a year.

For one thing, GOG may or may not have secured exclusive distro rights for the DRM version for a given amount of time. It depends on how much of a strong arm they have in such things, whether they care or not, and how big a name Spelunky is, in their estimation. I freaking love the game, so I consider it to basically be a AAA indie title.

But if I were Mossmouth, I'd wait until my sales were barely a dribble, then put it on sale for half off. Wait for that to die down, put it on sale again for the holiday. Wait for that to die down, then put it on Humble Bundle. At that point, there would be so many Steam keys in the atmosphere, and the HB usually puts its stuff out on torrents as well, that anyone who wants the game will have it by then, effectively market saturation.

I say all this with no real business or indie promo background, just as a fan who generally waits for the bargain basement stuff.

TL;DR: Wait if you want, it's gonna be a while.

He's talking about Humble Store, not a Bundle. He wants the dev to sell it themselves, so he gets both a DRM free version and a steam key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Commander Keenan posted:

Any company that still has this mindset is quite stupid. An old attitude that should've been wiped away five years ago.

It should've been wiped away 30 years ago when the music industry realized they could put old music on CDs and resell it.