Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

haha they posted a free game code on Facebook and I nabbed it. Sweet, Rainbow Six for me:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

guppy posted:

I voted for both Crusader games within days of the site going up. They aren't even close to the top. :(

Me too friend, me too. One of these days it will happen, and it will be awesome.

I kinda wish the Ubisoft catalog would stop pricing everything at 10 bucks. I mean Silent Hunter II is being released for ten bucks on Tuesday but you can get SH III of off steam for 8 bucks last I checked.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I agree, I bought it on a whim last time Steam had a holiday sale and got the Wolf Mod for it on a recommendation and man its quite possibly one of the most addicting and fun gaming experiences I've had with a sim game.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

royallthefourth posted:

So Silent Hunter II is something we weren't expecting?

No they said on Twitter its something else. Speaking of SH II, I advise anyone that is interested to get Silent Hunter III off of Steam instead, much better game and same price as GOG is charging.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Evil Genius isn't that bad if you constantly check the world domination screen to see if any agents of justice are investigating where your henchmen are stealing from. You usually have 30 seconds or so of them just sitting there before they actually kill any of your henchmen where you can tell them to hide till the coast is clear.

Also, when you see a red dot anywhere on your island, just put the kill tag on it and ignore them for the most part unless they end up in your base. Make sure your base has a camera at the front entrance, and don't build a secondary entrance unless you really really need to. Building a freezer really helps too as it helps boost morale and kills heat at the same time, I know it seems like a useless expansion but it works miracles. Agents investigating are pains in the asses but they are manageable, the game is a grind at times but it can be alota fun.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

slidebite posted:

^ Don't even say that :argh:

Well in one of the interviews they did say every couple of days they'd be releasing something...so I'm hoping that wasn't just a hyped up statement and they hold themselves to that statement.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

AxeManiac posted:

I must admit, being a poor kid during the original release of these games, I feel it is my duty to buy them now. Probably going to pick up Vampire and Constructor. Ahh, who am I kidding, getting them now.

That is half my problem with game collections, buying tons of stuff I never got to get as a poor kid and barely touching them afterwords.

I don't care though, it's still worth it to just have for playing someday. :colbert:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I remember like 15 years ago, my mom randomly bought me MoO2. I was only 11 at the time but I was so excited by the concept and could hardly wait to play...too bad my 486 could not run it at the time and it just ended up going back to the store :(

I cannot wait to get home from school today.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

AxeManiac posted:

When the hell is gog going to be out of beta? Same poo poo with farmville and all those games, around for years, yet they always say BETA like that is a badge of honor or maybe a free pass for any mistakes?

Come on GOG, go gold.

I noticed that the other day. I seriously wonder what gives, because they opened the site up from the closed beta what, 2 years ago?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Calling it now, it's a PR Stunt and to make up for the upset, they either give previous users massive discounts on something or a free game.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I just realized, I had been wanting to buy Decent 1, 2 and 3 on GoG for the longest time but couldn't due to unemployment. I finally get a part time job and they pull this poo poo. ARGHHH

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Osmosisch posted:

This thread is the greatest example of internet hysteria and misinformation I've ever seen :allears:

loving seriously. Everytime something like this happens, you have a handful of goons in the thread who despite EVERYTHING that is found or brought up showing something is one way and not the other, continue to be completely obtuse to the blatantly obvious.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Wow, the Games forum sure filled up with a bunch of unfunny assholes in the last few years.

I wasn't trying to be funny nor troll, but thanks anyways champ.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Grawl posted:

So GOG, where is that new info? :argh:

BAULDERS GATE :argh:

...And Crusader No Remorse, please? :ohdear:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

PC Gamer's latest FaceBook update is "GOG.com apologise for hoax closure: "We could not miss a chance to generate some buzz." Full statement on PCGamer.com:", but the link isn't online yet.

Queue 10 goons posting "No it's not a hoax, some guy just posted it on NeoGAF and Facebook, it's unsubstantiated. They really are shutting down you dumb nerds."

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 22, 2010

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

TotalBiscuit posted:

And they are the one service on which this drawback is minimised, because their stuff is DRM-free, what's your point? It certainly does promote their service. 'Hey guys, if we shut down, those nice little wrapped files you've got? They'll still work, just try being smart next time and backing up your poo poo'.

Pretty much this. Everyone saying they won't buy/download from them again is mostly full of poo poo.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

pyrotek posted:

Baldur's Gate was developed by Bioware who is now owned by EA, so who knows? Maybe we'll all be lucky and the rights for the games revert to the D&D owner after they expire for the publisher.

That's my line of thinking as well. At the very least, I'm sure Bioware could serve as a decent advocate for GoG when trying to get EA to see the light. Yes I know that there is much more to it than that, but it has to start somewhere before the lawyers get involved.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Armor-Piercing posted:

It's probably the nostalgia talking (best game ever?), but Baldur's Gate really is still fine to play without BGTutu or widescreen or high-res or whatever packs.

Especially for people new to the series, I don't think you should get the impression that the game is unplayable without installing all of that stuff. Even with regards to the tweak pack, there isn't a single component that I would say you should definitely install.

I only installed the widescreen fix and so far I'm enjoying the game quite a bit.

Not digging the crash in Beregost though...I loved Dragon Age and I'm definitely digging this game, but it is very unforgiving sometimes.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Elmo Oxygen posted:

I don't know if this has been posted, but the guys at Mythic seem pretty serious about lighting a fire under EA's rear end to get the Origin library re-released.

They're working on getting Wing Commander fully tested for a DosBox release and have been asking around for/about some Ultima titles. GoG seems like the most likely target.

Check it:

http://twitter.com/thatbarnettblok

Fuckkkkkkkk, please get this poo poo GoG, please.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Does anyone have a starting guide for MoO2? I'm pretty good at most 4x games, but the lack of tutorial is killing me :(

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Ansob. posted:

NWN1 and 2 are both this and also poo poo.

IIRC, the user made mods and quests are what made the game a blast to play. Even still, single player was half-way decent. I'll buy it either way :colbert:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I can only buy two of these games right now, help me decide.

Age of Wonders
Decent 1 and 2
Total Annihilation

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I never played Age of Wonders though...or any of the other Age of Wonders sequels. I just watched a lets play on Youtube to see what the hype was about and it looks like a lot of fun.

Now I'm thinking about getting Planescape...son of a bitch.

EDIT: Ok I'll listen and just get TA and Decent. AoW is probably getting released next week anyways. Thanks guys!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

AxeManiac posted:

I did the same thing, even with the sale, I put those 4 in my cart and it was like $20, and I figured I just got a bunch of console games I wanted and don't have the time for, there is no way I'd get to these games. I can't even fool myself into thinking I might have time one day.

I think... I think I'm learning! Take that GOG! I'm keeping my money!

Me too man, me too. I originally had Planescape, BG 2, both Icewind Dales, Neverwinter Nights and Independence War. Then I realized, I have a backlog right now and 40 bucks on poo poo I will touch maybe once is a little too much.

Although I'm going to get Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale 1 anyways, because I loved NWN when it came out and Icewind Dale seems more hack/slash and mindlessly fun than Planescape. Don't get me wrong, Planescape seems great, but all the praise I hear about is for the story and not much else.

EDIT: I'm probably going to buy more before the sale ends anyways, I just felt the need to grab the Atari stuff I wanted now since its only on sale for another few days and I'm leaving home this weekend.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 18, 2010

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Zat posted:

Oh my god, I got a free Kingpin from Quasipox. Thank you for making my day and have a merry christmas! :cool:

You know I've always wanted to try that game but could never bite the bullet and buy it. Trip report please.

EDIT: That and Redneck Rampage. Seriously, why aren't these two on sale :(

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Quasipox posted:

Give me your email and I'll send you one of those games (whichever you want).

I second the trip report idea; maybe include some screenshots and general impressions. I'm curious how some of my "gifts" are.

Nice, thanks dude! I'll post some impressions of Kingpin tonight!

Whodares at gmail.com

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Trip report: Kingpin refuses to launch. gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

zombieman posted:

I got it to work by fiddling with Nhancer:
http://www.nhancer.com/

Yeah I saw that fix, unfortunately I have an ATI card. Thanks though.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Who the hell is angryblackguy and why did he send me a gift of UFO Aftermath? :confused:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Quasipox posted:

Ha. I got Master of Orion 3. Truly The Grinch is at work...

Jokes on him, I'm not redeeming it!

EDIT: Given Away! Take that Grinch!

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 25, 2010

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Either way, I could easily see the one company that is not the big reveal today being one of the companies they have in final talks.

EDIT: And as much as I hope it's LA, I'd love for it to be EA if only for Crusader: No Remorse.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Charles Martel posted:

To be fair, either one of these publishers is a big step for GOG, and as a small digital outlet compared to goliaths like Steam and Microsoft, the more publicity they can get, the better. They just need to dial it back a bit and not do extreme stuff like the whole infamous "close-down-the-entire-site-without-warning" event.

I'm focused more on which games they're going to put up now to bend my wallet over and pound it.

This. Also, I don't really understand how people are saying the majority of their announcements have been disappointing. I mean the Atari/Hasbro stuff alone was well worth the hype.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Purple D. Link posted:

I don't know much about what EA has done before the PS2 era, so I'm not excited. Frankly, I wanted LA just for Monkey Island 3. :v:

I have no idea if I'd like the games that were just released. Have they aged well?

With this, I would not be surprised to see LA sign on before the end of the year. Bank on it.

EDIT: Super excited Crusader is coming out at the end of the month and I'm really happy EA isn't going the Activision route and charging ten bucks for 10+ year old games.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Cityinthesea posted:

I'm vaguely excited about SMAC, but does that game age well? anyone play it within the last 3 years for the first time?

If you played any of the Civ games prior to Civ IV, you'll be fine. I only played it for the first time in 2005 I think and I loved it. It just crashed way too often for me to play it :(

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

GOG.com regarding the lack of extras in the EA releases so far:

Hey, could you add the link to this post? Need it for another forum.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Okay, I've just been looking through the MobyGames list of games published by Electronic Arts and I have to say it makes me really sad that of the 25 games that'll be released many will be games from the Ultima and Wing Commander series.

I mean, there are so many other games on there worthy of being on GOG...

Keep in mind, they never said that those 25 games are the only games they will be getting from EA, they just currently have 25 specific titles that will be out this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if they will continue to dig up more titles beyond the 25 count.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

ToxicFrog posted:

Hey, the Wing Commander games are awesome. :colbert:

But I hear you. Syndicate, Cybermage, everything by Looking Glass, Starflight, Lands of Lore, Undying, Populous...

Although since it's EA, I'm just happy that it's not 25 Sims expansion packs.

I'm really hopeful we get some of the Sim X games. Specifically Sim Tower and Sim City 2000.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

doctorfrog posted:

Does EA plan on letting any of its games come with their expansion packs?

vvv Ah, I thought that GOG-speak for 'extras' were the wallpapers, soundtracks and so forth.

No, extras also include expansion packs. I had bought Evil Genius about two years ago and at the time, it did not include a bonus game content pack that was released for pre-orders. It was unavailable for I think three or four months and then GoG was finally able to add it to the extras.

Seen here, http://www.gog.com/en/forum/evil_genius/bonus_content

Keep the faith, I don't doubt at all that these guys are attempting to clear whatever bullshit hurdle is stopping the expansion packs from coming out.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 9, 2011

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

teethgrinder posted:

I agree very much with what Bats offered. I just want to add my own two cents that having to play the base game first and getting the expansion later is an even more authentic experience ;)

In total agreement about this. I know it sounds stupid to some people, but not everyone got a chance to play the original game at all, let alone the expansion. It's nice having just the base game to begin with and then grabbing the expansion later when you've beaten the base game.

I almost feel overwhelmed with game content when I get a game and the expansion(s) is included straightaway. So while it's annoying that the expansions weren't included right away, it's still not that bad in the end.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Any thoughts on Darkstar One?

It looks like a poormans Freelancer, which is fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Lurchibles posted:

I hope the promotion is awesome when it starts on Monday, but I hope it isn't restricted to just one developer. I know GoG tend to do it so it's ALL JoWood games or ALL Ubisoft... I'd rather it follow the Steam sale pattern and mix it up a bit :)

And yes, Ultima Underworld holds up today. It's still fantastic, if a bit difficult to get into because of the interface flaws.

Well they do follow steams pattern during the Christmas sale, so there's hope they'll replicate the summer sale from now on.