Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sorry if this has been answered but 14 pages is a ton to trawl through for a simple issue:
I decided to give Fallout 2 another go, and I just wanted to check if there are any additional patches or fixes one should install after installing the GOG version? It is version 1.2 I think, but the time on the map still goes by incredibly fast - is that normal? Also, random encounters on the world map seem very very few and far between.

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I'd also reccomend the patch to add children back into the game. They were "removed" by just taking out their sprites, so the kids are actually still in the game, just invisible. Which makes it easier for them to pickpocket you unnoticed, or for you to accidentally blow them up with a grenade. Both of which are bad things.

Strange, they are totally visible in this unpatched version 1.2 I have here...
(or is that 1.02, I cant remember)

Trying KillApp's now...

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 8, 2009

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is there any real difference between the GOG release of Fallout Tactics and the original version? Also, wasn't there a bonus mission disk as well - what's the deal with that and GOG? Thanks.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK, sorry if this has been covered guys, but I couldn't sift through over 100 pages for this...

The Arcanum that is on GOG - what's it like? Is it patchable with that user/fan stuff available online?

Or, put another way, if I get the GOG release, am I still able to have the best Arcanum experience currently possible? I have yet to play through this game, but really want to.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Agreed posted:

Fallout 2 patch :words:

Thanks for that post... out of ignorance, how much of an improvement over vanilla FO2 will I notice? I have yet to complete this game... something always throws me off, and maybe a restart (Again?? ARRGGHHH!) with this patch will make for the best gaming experience?

Also, bought Arcanum this weekend. SO much RPGing to do...

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Didn't know if I should put this in the GOG thread or the adventure games thread, so I might just cross post it... let me know if this was out of line and I'll scrap one of the posts.

Here's a chance to win 14 games (well, a 6-pack comprised of 14 games) from Sierra's back catalogue.

http://games.news24.com/index.php/sierra-giveway-from-gog-com/

News24Games posted:

On offer are:

* King’s Quest 1, 2 & 3
* King’s Quest 4, 5 & 6
* Space Quest 1, 2 & 3
* Space Quest 4, 5 & 6
* Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father
* Phantasmagoria

Could be worth a look if you don't already own those ones.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I work in the gaming press and just got an invite to an online press conference with GOG tomorrow - I'll post what I can here after that.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sorry, have not been following this page closely - has this vid been posted already? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDRvuKjissQ

If you look closely right before the GOG logo comes up at the end, you can see Baldur's Gate in there.

If this turns out to just be a publicity stunt, well, they've got the publicity, but also pissed a few people off in the process.

EDIT: I'm a retard, yes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3091455&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=139#post382326879

GreenNight posted:

After? Post during goddamnit.

Heh, I'll see what I can do.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Ansob. posted:

Yes, and we've been discussing it for 10 or so pages.

Good job posting that after I'd already edited to say I'm a retard.
Also, three and a half pages !=10.

Been off this forum for a bit, trying to catch up on a lot of pages in this thread. Don't be a dickhead.

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 21, 2010

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

It'd be a hell of a thing if they manage to bring forth the Infinity engine games with no DRM, tell you what.

Heh, I just bought Icewind Dale II from a second hand store on Thursday. Cost me 3 pounds - all manuals and everything. I now own originals of 'em all, I think. Would be cool to have GOG as a backup option though.

Also, doctorfrog, where is your avatar from?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK, I am logged in to the press conference. Basically, my feeling is that this will be the unveiling of the removal of "beta" from the name.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Dramicus posted:

Can you share any other details? For example, can you tell how many people are attending and whether its mostly shareholders or media? Or is it just a video stream?

Anyway, here's hoping for a play-by-play if there's anything interesting going on.

Currently 399 participants, but because of the login system it is impossible to see if someone is press, shareholder, GOG employee, etc unless they specifically state it.

EDIT: 450 participants now, admin says start in a couple minutes.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone got a serious question post it now and I can try get it answered. Joke questions are welcome too, because, I like jokes.

501 participants now. More than I expected. How many did I expect? Not this many.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What's a free image host so I can post what it looks like - waffle is not working.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

GOG conference posted:

administrator: Hello everyone, we are expecting some last minute guests so 3 more minutes and we go :)

Still waiting. I wonder who is coming.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK it's begun. They're dressed in brown hoods, like monks. Saying they have sinned. And they gave us hints. They are here to let us know that they are launching a better site - rewriting 98% of the code of the website. "Our development monks have done a fantastic job" "can run 6 times more users" "6 times more traffic".

- No DRM
- No download client
- Not bought by any bigger business/distribution model.
- "we are back and we are stronger and healthier than ever"

New key features of the website:
- new interface (posting pic now)

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 22, 2010

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

New look. And new easy login / registration for new users.

(By the way, don't give a gently caress that I am getting all this info out to you first. Goon power. I'll put together a piece for my employer tomorrow.)

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Stunt or no, these guys have put togetehr something very cool here. More to come.

Here's a pic of the new menu/mini list/news section:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Refresh the page, I am not only posting new stuff but editing my old one as well. New png added in previous post of new menu / news system.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

New ratings system look:

Now announcing games catalog news.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

New look games menu thing:

Note the new options for searching (multi, single, co-op) etc.

NOW announcing new games coming to the site.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

can someone please collect all the serious questions you want answered and post them into one post and I can try get them answered.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

New look gamecard pages:

Apparently much better written by 'experts', testers, etc

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Oh ffs, they keep delaying the list of new games. They know we want to know, so they keep dragging it :)

Now busy saying how they are working on full compatibility - "it is an obsession" on GOG. They are trying to fix isolated configuration setups that are still not fully Win 7 compatible, and only when they are fully satisfied with the product compatibility, they will add them to the list...

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Adding a Facebook 'Like' option.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Adding a download speed calculator - drag a bar to select your connection speed and it tells you how long to download your new games. Small feature, but hey.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

More features... like the 'This is part of xxxx series' below, as well as GOGMix, which they have not fully discussed yet.

No new game announcments for a while, hang in there goons.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

GOG community area upgraded:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Discussing GOGMix now. If it has not been done already, please collect all serious q's into one post and I will try ask - sorry, dont have the time to read thread now.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Gogmix is like your favourite stuff in one - sort of like 'lists in Amazon' is first thing that came to mind.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

1pm GMT tomorrow, the site launches and Baldurs Gate will be available from the relaunch.
There is still a lot to do, they reckon, and there are still a lot of games they want - they say. Their objective is "to become the number one alternative to Steam"

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

OK, so they didnt allow for any questions. Said we have to request individual interviews. So, not a press conference at all, but more of an elaborate announcement with video and a slideshow of new stuff. Still, cool. We love our GOG, and no big surprise, but Baldurs is in there too.

EDIT: I'll try throw in some goon questions with my own interview questions.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Phew, busy busy getting that all up there. People are mad about GOG.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

BigJoe posted:

GoG uploaded a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATNd4qbNTf8

Much of this is exactly how the 'press conference' started.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hey doctorfrog, where's your avatar from?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Nefarious posted:

I know it was just a misguided marketing attempt, but part of me wishes it was a deliberate experiment on the nerd psyche. It took all of one day without being able to download games (with the constant assurance that you would be able to again soon) for this thread to devolve into the internet equivalent everyone defecating all over the place and rubbing gravel into their hair.

I have to quote this in my article.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Nthman posted:

Looks like they uploaded another video highlighting some of their new releases, OMG I cant wait.

:f5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R-7ZO4I1pI

You did it!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I've sent off my interview questions to GOG.com and will hopefully be able to answer all the goon-questions that were posted here. And by "all", I mean a handful.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Dramicus posted:

Be sure to post a link to your article when its published, I'm interested in reading it, and I'm sure there are others here who are as well.

Mmmm, can do, but it's not going to be anything special. Just a standard news piece with a bunch of questions answered. One thing that is cool, however, is that I have a copy of Baldurs Gate to give away. I'm going to run a little competition on one of the sites I write for, and I'll post it here tomorrow when the story goes up.

(From what I understand, GOG will either create a new account with a copy of BG in it, or credit an existing account with a copy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

macnbc posted:

In the past when GOG's given away games it comes in the form of a promo code you redeem like if you gift someone a game, so they'll probably do that again.

Or that. Yes, that.