Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
All that talk about Giants: Citizen Kabuto has made me remember Armed and Dangerous which was made by the same company and played really similar to Giants as well. It was rather short but I really liked the atmosphere and the crazy setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Is Simon the Sorcerer more like Lucasarts adventure games where they're fun and challenging or Sierra adventure games where if you don't click on a pixel on the second screen you can't beat the game?

Definitely Lucas Artsy. You can't die or get stuck and they are funny as hell!

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Pandaman posted:

Awesome. Just bought Stonekeep, which I loved when I was younger. If the old Fallouts work on modern systems through this, without all that black screening crap, then I may just pick those up too.

Fallout 2 works perfectly on my WinXP Macbook =)

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

:siren: Today's releases :siren:

Duke Nukem: Manhatten Project

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold

Not much of a surprise there, but I'm really curious about DN:MP.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 10, 2009

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

quakster posted:

Manhattan Project is pretty drat good. Suprisingly so, even.

It really feels like a Duke Nukem game and I like it that they included the ability to kick :D

I also bought the Earthworm Jim pack and good god is EWJ1 hard! Just like the Oddworld jump'n'runs which I also have to play more often. I'd never have thought that I'd get so addicted to GOG.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Brother Jonathan posted:

How good is their Apache vs. Havoc? I've not heard of this one.

I bought it in a pack together with Falcon 4.0 and this M1 Abrams tank game back in the days and liked it all of them a lot. Apache vs. Havoc is a good mix between simulation and action, which I gladly would fall back to, when Falcon 4.0 frustrated me too much again ;-) Also the multiplayer was fun (or at least I played it a lot with friends at LAN parties ... can't remember what the objectives were).

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vidmaster posted:

That Gorky 17 game was also called Odium, which sounds familiar to me, though I never played it.

I bought it a couple of years ago for cheap and loved it. It's kind of an adventure-game with RPG elements and a really cool turn-based combat system, in a dark setting. The battles were really exciting, because I often felt outnumbered and outgunned, but still managed to win once I figured out a superior tactic. It wasn't the lenghtiest of games, but it was immersive and had lot's of bad-rear end moments.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

:siren: Today's new releases :siren:

Alien Nations, Warlords Battlecry 3 and who would have thought: Cannon Fodder

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

They just released Septerra Core.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

It was a nice turn based tactics/survival horror game with puzzle-like combat and a great, dark atmosphere.

Fixed! :colbert:

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Well that's tempting. TOCA 3 is a really good racing game. Once of the best actually. No idea about Screamer but I might have to give it a shot.

Second Sight is really good too for anyone looking for a unique story driven action game. :lol: Messiah but I never actually got around to playing that.

All in all this is a drat good deal. Now I'm tempted to buy something. :saddowns:

Thinking about getting the Second Sight + Messiah deal as well. I bought the latter one or two years ago, but I couldn't get the audio to work in XP and thus only played it a little bit. It was fun though, as I remember.

Screamer is a really old old game that I don't think aged well. I bought it back when it was rather new as one of my first games on CD-ROM and while it was okay for its time, I don't think I'd want to play it again nowadays :D

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I'm actually waiting for a Pro Pinball Promo! I loved "The Web" back in the day, but never checked out any other installments of the series.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The Machine posted:

Okay guys, which Jagged Alliance should I get? I played #2 very briefly and I'm ready to dive back in.

JA2 with the v1.13 Mod is all you'll ever need. I'm currently enjoying Wildfire as well, but it really is crazy hard.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Lasse Lillebakken posted:

I loved The Web too. Best one in the series. There were some rumors that it was going to be included with Fantastic Journey but I can't find any evidence of this on the store page nor the forums. I'll let you know when I buy it later today, if any of you haven't done so already.

e: No sign of The Web :smith:

Too bad, but I still have the original "The Web" CD-ROM, and the game runs fine under XP. Which game of the series is considered the "best"? I heard good things about Timeshock and Big Race USA, but I'm not sure if I'd like the setting of the latter.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Lasse Lillebakken posted:

Playing Fantastic Journey again now, I really have to say that it's the best one. Excellent gameplay, fun modes and top notch physics.

1. Fantastic Journey - Overall the best table.
2. The Web - Great table, gameplay and music.
3. Timeshock - The best theme (sci-fi) but terrible music. Very good gameplay.
4. Big Race USA - Good table and modes, but very difficult.

Thanks! :)

Concerning The Web's music, I actually recorded it to a cassette so I could listen to it on my walkman wherever I went back then. That was one of the good things about games in the mid- to late-ninties: they often had their soundtrack as audio tracks on their CD-ROM.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Grawl posted:

I remember this game, but can't find any info when I Google it because of all the stupid flash games. Any help?

If you search for Pro Pinball: The Web you get better results.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

They're both really fun but FlatOut is a bit newer and you'll probably get more mileage out of it.

Depends. I own both and while Insane is quite old, its multiplayer is still top of the line! You have really cool modes (Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, Race, Tag, etv.) and it often gets really insane with all the different vehicles and terrains. There is even a plane you can download and fly around with.

Singleplayer-wise though, I'd choose FlatOut, but if you have a couple of buddies who'd be into this as well, definitely go with Insane.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Horn posted:

In case anyone else is wondering the site is G2Buy.com. They also sell cheap starcraft/brood war and WC3 keys (no frozen throne though :().

I decided to try it out and bought the D2+LOD CD-Keys. How long does it take usually for those to be sent to you?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The Belgian posted:

Manhattan project keeps crashing every time I die during the chopper battle. Anyone knows what's going on?

EDIT: there is also a crash after winning the fight.

Interesting, I've had it crash on me as well after losing, but not after winning (which is why I didn't bother looking for a solution).

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Snowmanatee posted:

Castles 2
Well, even though I have never heard of Castles before, your post just made me buy it ... Is Castles 1 worth playing or should I just start with Castles 2?

EDIT: Please tell me someone's porting Castles 2 to the Nintendo DS! This would be the perfect game!

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 9, 2009

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I played "Tex Murphy: Overseer" back then and totally enjoyed it, especially because it had this noir-trash-movie charme. Still, the interactive 3D parts were really immersive and scary as hell for my young self.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

roushimsx posted:

The gameplay has aged really well and I'm having a blast resolving these mysteries. Easily one of my most favorite adventure games ever (though Pandora Directive really is better in every way possible).

I'm really looking forward to playing Under A Killing Moon and Pandora Directive as well! I bought Tex Murphy 1+2 yesterday and started with Mean Streets, which is incredibly fun, especially for its age! Thank god for autopilot and easy fight sequences though :D

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Serious Michael posted:

What is Empire Earth like compared to say, an Age of Empires or a Rise of Nations? Similar interface?

I always saw Empire Earth as a very well-made Age Of Empires clone.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

They added Lords of the Realm 3 today.

Gamespot is the only site that gave it a more than mediocre review (above 8 actually?!). Usually my tastes are pretty GS conform, but this seems kindof weird.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Gothic 1 is really awesome, yet after I played Morrowind, it wasn't "open" enough for me anymore. I finished G1, got Morrowind right after and never went back (even though some of my friends urged me to try G2 and 3).

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I just bought HOMM3 off GOG :) I've really been waiting for its release and it's just in time, as I have a long flight ahead of me on Thursday. This, together with Castles and Mean Streets should fill the time quite well.

Grawl posted:

I love it when old applications can't handle new hardware.
Time to play non-updated I guess :(

There still seem to be some updates available on FilePlanet.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 25, 2009

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

MW posted:

This isn't true, at least not for Simon the Sorcerer.

It is also NOT true for Simon 2.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

I really loved Incoming back then when it came bundeled with my 8mb Vodoo 2 card.

I always wanted to check out Expendable after that, but never got around to. Now that I bought it off GOG it crashes as soon as the level finished loading. Does anyone have the same problem with a regular 07/08 MacBook (with the Intel Graphics card) and WinXP running under Boot Camp?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

GOG released Praetorians today, a RTS game set in Roman times, with a major focus on combat and tactics. I played this multiplayer about two years ago and it was a lot of fun because games didn't last ages and there was so little base building.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 22, 2009

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release today:

Realms of Arkania 1+2 for $6

And announced as coming soon: Realms of Arkania 3 for $6

I completely missed these games back when they came out (even though I recall reading many good reviews) and while I don't think I'd have time to play through them right now, I'm really tempted to get them. I'm also thinking about the Might & Magic pack, so how do those two games differ and which one is "better" for whom?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Disciples II is kind of like Heroes of Might & Magic, right?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

They just released Imperial Glory, which appears to be like the Total War games, for $5.99. IGN gave it 8.5 points while GameSpot only gave 6.7.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release: the incredible machine mega pack for :10bux:

Instant purchase! I only played the first Incredible Machine at a friend's place way back and always wanted more. =)

On an unrelated note: I just found my old copy of "Incubation - Time is running out", which I bought at the end of the nineties and which never worked on any machine - until now! Somehow it plays perfectly fine on my notebook :) This is another game which GOG should snatch up (if not the whole Blue Byte catalog altogether).

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 1, 2009

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Entorwellian posted:

Mean Streets is probably the worst of the bunch due to the gunfight sequences and the arcade flight-sim portion, but since a great portion of it is covered in Overseer you aren't missing too much (though there are some references from the original that may be lost in Overseer.) However, if you're alright with writing notes down on paper then you should get through the game fine.

The other games are great but they suffer from "missing seemingly unimportant items that are in fact very important later in the game" syndrome. With the exception for Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum, you will need a hintbook if you hope to beat the series.

I played Overseer back in the day and hardly ever needed to use the hint system. I got Tex Murphy 1+2 from GOG recently and sure, they're old as hell, but the gunfights can be switched to "easy" mode and thanks to the autopilot, you don't even need to get into the flight-sim part and can just sit back and update your Excel file with all the notes while you're in the air :D I'm really surprised how much fun Mean Streets is (haven't plyed MM yet, but I read that it's even better and without gunfights and the flight-sim), so if you have $6 to spare at some point I'd also pick it up.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Hidden gem of this week: Arx Fatalis for $4.99

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release: Red baron Pack for :10bux:. Pack includes Red Baron 1, Red Baron: Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D (a heavily patched version of Red Baron 2)

I liked the first Red Baron back then ... like way way way back then. So, how is Red Baron 3D? Worth the $9,99 (WTF?!) pricetag?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Commandos 2 + 3 was just released as a pack for $9,99.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Dark Fall: The Journal was released today. Haven't heard of it, but Metacritic says it's an average adventure game.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

So is Divine Divinity basically a 2D Morrowind, with a little more Diablo-like action thrown in? While I never finished Morrowind's main story, I played the poo poo out of it over several years, so I'm wondering if DD would be a similarly great experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Uh, I remember buying Sanitarium back then, even though I wanted to buy Rainbow Six. I have no idea why I did it, but it was a fun, classic adventure game that unfortunately crashed a lot and frustrated me at some point somehow. I did finish it like two years later after glancing over it on my shelf.