Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!
Looks like next up in the Tuesday pipeline is Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold. It's pretty much a futuristic Wolfenstein 3D except there's a map and a few other cool features. It's definitely quite the blast and I'll most likely pick it up when I get a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

No Jazz Jackrabbit or Jill of the Jungle. :(

Seriously I was hoping they would have Majesty though.

Do note that you can't base not being in the Coming Soon as it never happening though. If I recall, 3DRealms said not even a year ago that they had no interest in digital distribution on PC, and now as of this month they have unveiled a progressive release of the Apogee catalog. Plus, GoG LOVES surprises, and on occasion out of the blue they just sort of go "hey, you know that game y'all really liked? WELL HERE IT IS!"

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

thedaian posted:

Racing games on sale this weekend: http://www.gog.com/en/page/racing_weekend/ Including the last chance to buy TOCA Race Driver 3, as it's apparently getting removed from their catalog.

Wait, so they remove things from the catalog?? How does that work? Does it stay on your shelf and is still redownloadable or do you pretty much have to download it before it's gone and keep a hold of that installer?

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

^^ FlatOut 2 blows. "hey let's get rid of vehicle damage and make it super hard and also gently caress up the physics so hitting a discarded bumper will send you shooting twenty feet into the air costing you the race!" :waycool:

Actually you're only showing one side of the argument on why people are split between 1 and 2. The first one was must more of a simulation racer and the second one is very arcade-style driving and physics. So it really depends which side of the spectrum you're more into on which you'll like.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

And wasn't the third game basically a remake of 2?

It was 2, just with shinier graphics and Live support. There was hardly anything extra to it to even constitute remake.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Devil Wears Wings posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games: Parading Opinion as Fact, All Day, Every Day

One one say that would be easier summed up by simply saying "internet."

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I'd just rather they developed the female characters more beyond, "Wants to gently caress Geralt #27," "Wants to gently caress Geralt #35," and so on.

EDIT: And to clarify, I actually enjoyed the rest of the game. I just can't play games that so flagrantly objectify women like that. It gives me the same creepy feeling that hentai games do. The only other game I've had this problem with was Ninja Gaiden on Xbox (gently caress Team Ninja and what they did to the visual design of that franchise).

Actually if I remember correctly, it's like that in the actual books the game is based on. Casual action like that is a social norm or somesuch in their society.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Na, just figured this was for discussing GoG, and that thread was for discussing The Witcher.

And every thread has someone who posts about where they think things should be strictly limited to. Such is the cycle of the forums.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

I beat my purchase of Arcanum, that's some dedication. :colbert:

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

This style of advertising has been around forever in some form. Also, everyone who complains about social networking and this form of advertising should probably catch up with the rest of the world and read some scholarly material on it. Granted not everyone goes into marketing and will actually understand or care about this stuff, but before you bitch about it you should at least realize the genius behind the modern methods of advertising, because it sure as hell is better than the annoying drivel being pumped through television.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

^^ welp that covers it pretty well also.

Swamp Zero posted:

It's not so harmful in your case :) But I guess not everyone uses twitter like that? Or maybe they do I don't know!

It's genius therefore you should not complain? Is that what you're trying to say?

It's not better than television advertising except if you mean better at advertising. Which it is. You can filter out television advertising, you can't filter out every random friend on a social site that got conned into being an advertising bot to his personal relations.

You can complain, but the instant response you will get from anyone that has knowledge in marketing and communications will simply be 'if you don't like it, then clearly you're not the target audience.' It's cheap, effective advertising. In actuality you're participating in it by posting in this very thread in reality. Even if it's griping, you're bumping the thread, increasing post count, and causing it greater traffic that will cause information about the site to reach more eyeballs. Hell, even not talking about specifically GoG, you most likely are unknowingly advertising a multitude of companies and products for free. The only reason you have a spite about this, is because you're made more aware of it actually, and that's simply because they're giving the opportunity to pay you in some form (if you're lucky, granted).
Think about it, in reality a good chunk of this forum is free advertising for a lot of products.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

I hate to contribute to a thread derail, but this headline on arstechnica.com seemed derail-relevant: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/07/sony-responds-to-nintendos-3d-attacks.ars

"As Nintendo mocks Sony's 3D approach, Sony says the two firms should cooperate to make 3D commonplace. But their approaches are at odds: Nintendo wants to sell you a gaming system, while Sony wants to sell you a new living room."

It also seem true these days that there's a lot more interest in creating cute little marketplaces to sell virtual products, than actual products themselves, such that the stores themselves outweigh the importance of the product. The products are more like doorways that lead you into gift shops, like how Disneyland rides empty out into toy stores. Name a device, and you can bet it has a Tom Nook's in it, selling virtual crap.

And of course, both Sony and Nintendo are selling game 'living rooms,' the 3DS is just another one you'll be carrying around with you.

That said, I don't really care, I just want some good games I haven't had a chance to play yet, and GOG delivers. I'm a whore. I'm over it.

This book more or less covers everything that's being argued here:
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Future-Radical-Chris-Anderson/dp/1401322905

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Periodiko posted:

Lionheart's devs more or less had the first area created, and then they ran out of money and frantically created a bunch of lame dungeons and rushed the game out the door. So no, it sucks.

That really described the overall level of work done in Interplay's later years. The most unbelievable is the one interview Retronauts got with someone who was part of the Star Trek game they were working on right before the whole company collapsed.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

CaudaVenenus posted:

Why did they collapse by the way ? They had some decent licenses, what was/were the games that put them under ?

Well, the licenses of course were expensive. But the thing that really killed them was the management. They had a multitude of different houses staffed in pretty much one facility, and the communication was awful. They'd deal with tight deadlines and really backwards methods of working on the technology. For the one Star Trek game I mentioned, they have a ton of motion capture, but for the greenscreen they just painted a loving office wall green, and unevenly at that. So needless to say when they went to drop out the screen, there was a bunch of junk still in the recordings, and so they had to allocate a ton of staff to go in and edit the video frame by frame to fix it.

This was the Retronauts podcast that talked about some of the downfall of Interplay: http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/Retronauts/R091709.mp3

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Overwined posted:

OMG you guys stop saying G*G you're just giving those corporate schills free advertising!!! Now I have to go to my freshman level "Radical Communism in a Post-Modern World" seminar!!

Make sure you get the one with the blue Che Guevara silhouette for the most up-to-date counter-reactions to 2010 capitalism fads.

EDIT: Man the dark fitted tee with the vertical logo actually looks pretty cool.

SixOhSix fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 1, 2010

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

hilarious:

Fitted T-Shirt
$16.99

Dark Fitted T-Shirt
$22.99

+$6 for an american apparel namedrop

It's kinda lame that the colors not white are such a markup.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Andrigaar posted:

While the markup is high, it's basically for two good reasons:
1) White tees are simply cheaper
2) Printing on dark fabric usually requires a layer of white opaque ink below everything else.

$6 of work and materials per tee? gently caress no, that poo poo is automated.

Yea I guess I didn't know about the extra layer part, I've worked doing some screen printing but never worked on a dark enough fabric for that to be important.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I wasn't planning on buying Witcher 2 right away. I was going to wait to see how it was received, and then I probably would have waited a couple more years for the price to come down.

This announcement changed my mind.

I've done the pre-order, and I will buy it at launch. I want to support their plan. I want this to work.

Same, already done the preorder and sporting one of the wallpapers on my laptop.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Dibujante posted:

Except they will be. I once lost my internet connection for a week while I argued with my ISP because I had downloaded a homebrew Space Hulk campaign that a friend of mine made and got a c&d because I was clearly downloading "The Hulk", which I have never seen/downloaded.

All that this means is that you'll get no-appeal letters based on whatever unaccountable criteria CD Projekt decides to use and if you want to fight it you have to decide whether or not you want to risk defending yourself in court.

Just better make sure you never ever download anything that has the word "witch" or "witcher" in its title, regardless of its legitimacy.

Wow, you really know how modern intellectual property monitoring works on the internet these days, good job!

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

I wouldn't expect them to take this to RIAA levels though. It feels more to me they just want to do some scare tactics to try and make people think a bit harder about just downloading it. That'll get a percentage to decline the thought of downloading, and then use resources to primarily seek out heavy illegal distributors to knock them out of commission. At least that's how it's sounding to me (assuming they're using a more up-and-up firm for this).

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Whoa whoa whoa how did I not hear about dotemu.com until now, and how do they have a bunch of IREM games on there?

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

The game definitely relies on you finding it funny when you're just loving around. Otherwise just trying to play straight through the plot without loving around can be frustrating.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Vertigus posted:

I hope more games have copy protection like Operation Flashpoint, where if you installed the latest patch over the retail install instead of doing each patch in order, your grenade launcher would shoot at 90 degree angles to where you were pointing.

I still love the one for Red Alert 2. Start of any battle your army would just explode.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Well I know what I'm purchasing first come payday this weekend then! Rayman bliss here I come!

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

I know it will probably never happen, but I realized I really want GoG to get Gex on there. That is a game on PC I played the hell out of the demo, but I have yet to play the full version to this day. :(

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Austen Tassletine posted:

Is Evil Genius any good? I'd never even heard of it before this sale, but the description sounds promising.

It gets brought up regularly, I believe goon consensus is that it's pretty fun.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Dear lord, I am getting Guilty Gear X2 #Reload when that comes out. I never got to play that back when it first came out and I must have it. (why yes I am in fact a whore for Arc fighting games)

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

Three things:

1) Guilty Gear X2 Reloaded is now available!

Well poo poo. Was gonna get this the day it came out. Didn't expect it to be this soon and my new bank card hasn't arrived yet. :doom:

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Megadyptes posted:

Just finished listening to this 2 hour Guilty Gear sound track. It's loving awesome. I never usually bother with downloading the GoG extra soundtracks, any other of the good old games have badass soundtracks that everyone should rock out to?

Arc fighting game soundtracks are simply badass period. I already have the Midnight Carnival soundtrack and it probably is their best soundtrack actually.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Faerie Fortune posted:

So since I apparently reside under a rock and have never played Alone in the Dark, does anyone have any tips or advice for me before I start on the first in the series?

There is a very good chance that on your first playthrough you will get yourself stuck and will be unable to finish the game.
(you will definitely want to use a guide)

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Polygamy posted:

So I log into my GOG account for the first time in forever and see that I have Jagged Alliance:Deadly Games on my shelf. Never bought or played any of the Jagged Alliance series. Am I correct to assume this is something like a mission pack for the first JA?

edit: Holy poo poo GOG's been busy with the games it seems. I guess this what happens when you stop playing games for several months

It's a free game they gave to every member. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Momonari kun posted:

Deadly Games was a giveaway when they went out of beta. Anybody who had an account before that got it for free.

Oh yea I guess that was the beta one. For some reason I was thinking that one was Tex Murphy.