Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Chamber 9 posted:

Hmm. I was just about to buy Unreal Tournament 2004 on steam.

Definitely buying earthworm jim. Born in 1990 and never played the game :(

IMO the PC-DOS ports of the EWJ games are kind of weak, the first one especially. The way Jim handles is just completely off. EWJ2 I just always enjoyed the most on the SNES, but its DOS port at least feels right for the most part.

But yeah, if you want the authentic EWJ1 experience try playing the Genesis version on Virtual Console, or if you're particularly adventurous look for the Windows 95 or Sega CD Special Edition release, by far the definitive best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

The Skeep posted:

I feel like buying a shooter, Should I get Rise of the Triad or Duke Nukem? (allready have duke on 360 and N64)

If you've already got DN3D on XBLA there's not much point unless you feel like modding the hell out of it. Personally I'm not huge on ROTT, but it's a different game, go for it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I'm vaguely interested in Rainbow Six, although upon digging around the most info I can find on the multiplayer is that it used to be hosted on Mplayer.com and Zone.com servers. Does this mean it's defunct presently or are direct-IP games still possible?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

The Belgian posted:

Manhattan project keeps crashing every time I die during the chopper battle. Anyone knows what's going on?

EDIT: there is also a crash after winning the fight.

Yeah, this seems to be a pretty widespread problem. I've got it too.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

ymgve posted:

I bet they will just keep the packages as they are. Why fix something that is not broken, and all that. I don't wanna be the guy that tests all GOG games again every time there's a new DOSBox release.

Yes, certainly the reoptimization of a minority of titles from an already fairly small library, once a year, is a nightmarish prospect.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Momonari kun posted:

Silly question, but can the Dosbox games be used on OS X or are they put into one package that can't be seperated? I don't want to have to reboot to play a little Heroes.

Well everything comes as an installer in EXE form, but once extracted they're arranged such that you would theoretically be able to transplant them into an OSX DOSBox installation with minimal difficulty.

On the subject of version 0.73, however, it seems to be completely missing its config file. :psyduck: I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT MY AUTOEXEC

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 29, 2009

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

the revised Apogee/3D Realms store

...It may not be GOG, but this is exactly the catalogue I've been waiting for. OH GOD WHAT TO BUY FIRST

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

This is the same thing I thought until I realized the following: :words:

All very valid points, paying $6 a pop for single games like Word Rescue and Math rescue is indeed a bit insane, and I'm also leery about the likelihood of them turning up on GOG. For something like Death Rally, though... totally worth it.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Goddamn I suck at strategy games. Even playing on easy, Evil Genius is wearing me down. If I send more henchmen out to get money I end up with too much heat and too many agents poking around my base, and then the henchmen get offed in the field while I'm busy tending to the agents. If I don't send them, I sit around stabbing the occasional investigator but I'm stone broke.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

I AM ANGRY

ANGRY ABOUT VIDEOGAMES

Oh well, time to go out and buy a couple DVD-R's I guess.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

New content for Earthworm Jim 1+2

The collection of old design artwork, particularly the multiple pages stipulating the specifics of Jim's character model, and the scrapped/changed level designs, is fascinating to me.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 13, 2009

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Apparently I'm about a month late on this since I stopped checking their forums a while back, but in case it hasn't already been covered here: GOG released a fix for the Prism3D error that was causing Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project to break whenever you died to or beat the first boss.

This is why I love these guys.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

ymgve posted:

I have no idea why people praise the Earthworm Jim games. From the 10 minutes I spent with the first game it seemed like a mediocre generic platformer. Imprecise jumping and enemies that are impossible to hit? Is this supposed to be fun?

At least it was only $3.

Believe me, the DOS port of EWJ1 is second only to the GBA port in terms of mangled controls. EWJ2 at least controls properly (although they redid the graphics which sometimes works for and sometimes against it).

But yeah, dig up a rom of the Genesis version or something if you want to see how it should control. I won't argue that enemies can be pretty hard to hit with your whip attack, though.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Clouseau posted:

Sierra added all the death screens both due to lazy game design

This had an unexpectedly loving awesome impact in King's Quest VI, though, when you arrive in the land of the dead, where you've been seeing that goddamn game over screen so often, except this time you're alive! (And you immediately proceed to make a bunch of tough-guy skeleton guards launch into crazy dance by hammering out a tune on a bone xylophone.)

God I loved that game. The rest of the series can pretty much go suck a dick though, yeah.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

swarthmeister posted:

Great game, and now that the Dosbox KQ collection is out on Steam, I'm hoping it'll pop up on GOG. I got the KQ collection through retail a few years ago, and tried it on my system before giving it as a gift.

If memory serves, they don't include the KQ6 HD pack or whatever it was (the module or version that gave higher-res dialogue portraits) and there certainly isn't any desktop and soundtrack sort of bonus stuff like GOG would offer.

I can't speak for the boxed set that was released, but I can say for certain that the KQ6 included in the Steam pack does have the voiced dialogue and higher-res character portraits -- the only problem is, those portraits won't show up unless you're running the game fullscreen under Windows 3.1.

The good news is, you can actually make that happen -- only the cheap frontend launcher actually has the Steam DRM built into it, so you can transplant the game files into any DOSbox installation.

I would be kind of interested to see what bonuses GOG would put out with it, though.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Overwined posted:

So I'm thinking about buying Flatout with this new deal. Is it playable with keyboard and/or mouse?

That depends on what exactly fits your definition of "playable", as even with a gamepad it seems to handle about as well as a greased pig on rollerskates to me.

But yeah there's keyboard controls at the very least

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

New release: the incredible machine mega pack for :10bux:

Well drat I guess it's time to refill the ol' Paypal again already. It's rather disappointing not seeing Incredible Toons/Toon Machine in there, but then again TIM 3.0 was always my favourite of the bunch.

Now I wish I'd saved all those puzzles I made offhandedly over the years. :( I came up with some pretty devious poo poo.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Billy Gnosis posted:

Doesn't contraptions use the same puzzles as 2/3.0? I remember buying a re-release that had not quite as nice pre-rendered 3d objects but the puzzles were identical.

Yeah I think after 3.0 (or maybe 2.0, I dunno I never had that one) they stopped really making new puzzles and just repackaged the whole deal with a new coat of paint every now and then. Or the main selection of puzzles, anyway -- there may have been different bonus puzzles added.

Still, 90% of the fun was making your own puzzles and swapping with friends.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

hogswallower posted:

That actually gets me thinking that there are still a ton of good Apogee games they should have on this service. If they threw out a huge bundle of all the poo poo I used to play on my 486 I'd be all over it.

Pretty much everything of theirs missing from GOG is on https://www.buy3drealms.com -- I guess they just put the Duke games on GOG because they're popular and kept everything else to themselves because they don't want to be sharing all their profits. Some of it is pretty unreasonably priced too (especially considering you can get poo poo like the full Commander Keen pack on Steam for $5) but... well, it's there.

Also there's that free new Windows port of Death Rally.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I saw that GOG sold Myst for Windows. Does anyone know where I can still get a legal copy of it for the Mac?

Given its age and my (admittedly limited) experience trying to get older Mac programs to work in the modern OSes with classic mode and the like, you'd probably be better off using the GOG version and Boot Camp or something. Just sayin'.

Unless you already have a system in place for such things in which case just disregard this post

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

FLX posted:

On top of that, Beneath a Steel Sky is also 40% off!!! Get it while you can! :woop:

40% off of free! That's... almost a time and a half as free as it was before! :downs:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

thedaian posted:

Halloween Harry is freeware at this point. It might go by a different name though. I'm less certain of Jazz Jackrabbit's status.

Halloween Harry aka Alien Carnage is right here, near the top.

I've no loving clue who owns the rights to Jazz Jackrabbit now since I'm pretty sure the original developers have disbanded and/or sold the license to some unknown hacks (resulting in that godawful GBA series 'reboot' that thankfully nobody bought).

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Speaking of Jazz, ever wonder what happened to the artist behind JJ2's cutscenes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR7vE6l1MN0

No idea when this'll ever see release, the dude seems to drop off the radar for months, sometimes years at a time. He's also been working on a solo animated movie project for the last eight goddamn years or so.

Every time I see his work in motion though, I'm impressed. even if it is all furries

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Don't you just love it when other sites jump the gun?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I think you can get Diablo 1 from the Diablo warchest they sell, I could be wrong though but I swear its on my netbook right now...

I can confirm this, it's been sitting idle in that box since I got the set.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Blodskur posted:

Yeah, I'd prefer them to stick to $6 and $10 as well. I've been supporting them and those pricepoints from the very beginning and it's perfect really. I know they might want more recent games include (I could see why some publishers wouldn't want a game like say BioShock on there for $10), but there are many classics they should focus on first that'd be able to fit in the $6 to $10 range yet.

I see what you're saying here but just want to add BioShock isn't exactly the best example for this. It seems to go on sale for $5 on Steam like twice a month, and once they had it for $2 I think. Not to mention you can get it free for preordering BioShock 2.

Hell I'm rather surprised its default price is still $20.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Blodskur posted:

Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition is now on GOG for $9.99.

As has been said, this rather lacks replayability if you've already worked your way through it, but all the same I've not yet played this re-release and would totally nab it... if it were $6. Guess I'll wait for a sale.

Now we just need Flashback.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Weekend deal time again! And this time it's... more Kalypso stuff. The Creatures games, Constructor, and something called Mob Rule.

Feh. I guess there's always next weekend. v:shobon:v

Hey hey hey. The Creatures 1+2/3+DS packs are worth it at that price. :colbert:

edit: jesus christ the thread jumped ahead a bit there. But yeah, at the very least Exodus is worth it at half-off. I'm regretting having just emptied my paypal.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 8, 2010

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Just wanted to say that I finally decided to try out the Gobliiins Pack, never having played the originals, and am pleasantly surprised. Still on the first game and while some decisions like the persistent health bar, timing-sensitive puzzles and general leaps of logic work against it, it eliminates what was usually the worst element of point-and-click adventure games for me: running around the world blindly wondering if you've missed something or where your next goal is. Each screen is its own separate level that has to be solved before you progress to the next, you can only carry around a single inventory item, and you can't gently caress yourself over Sierra-style.

I love it. Why aren't there more point-and-click games like this?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

Don't get me wrong, I really hope EA is simply waiting to unveil their own internal system which will be brilliant and awesome and not try to squeeze extra money out of the customers. I just don't believe it.

Well, if the EA Download Manager is any indication... :gonk:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

So is there much point to getting Sands of Time if I already finished Two Thrones a good while back? From what I gather Two Thrones' platforming was about as good and it had a much better combat system, so it doesn't sound like I'd be missing all that much...

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

Seriously, if you are worried about twittering something, you are doing it wrong. I tweeted the poo poo out of that. I want free games.

I've reluctantly made a Facebook account since EVERYONE goddamn uses it so it's the best way to keep track of people, but I never actually use it because I think all this flash in the pan Web 2.0 social networking stuff is stupid. Apparently nobody has an undying urge to know what I've had for breakfast each day, so I've been spared the looming presence of Twitter.

That being said I would totally tweet this around like a good little consumer whore if I did actually use that particular service.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Zat posted:

So do you guys recommend those Pro Pinball games? Also, if I were to pick one of the three, which would it be? Make a ranking or something. :)

The last time the Pro Pinball games came up in a GOG thread I think the popular opinion was that Big Race USA is the best, although I haven't played any of them myself so I would love a confirm/deny on this.

E: Going by the star ratings on GOG, Timeshock seems to be the most liked.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Creatures 1 had so much poo poo made for it that it was a little unreal. Milkshake machines, greenhouses, vending machines dispensing everything imaginable, teleporters, force fields, you name it. Granted, a good deal of it rendered the already buggy experience even more crash-happy, but it was an almost unprecedented amount of free fanmade content for the time. Unfortunately most of it was hosted on old GeoCities pages, and now that they've finally gone the way of the dinosaur I suspect most of those downloads have too.

I always liked the first game's atmosphere the best. I never really played 2, but the spaceship theme they used for C3/Exodus seemed incredibly far removed from good old planetary life, even if it was simply to advance the incredibly inconsequential 'plot'. On the other hand... 1 and 2 don't have the instant language machine. Much as I liked Creatures 1, teaching those fuckers to speak was like rubbing your face against a wall made of sandpaper with every new addition to the population.

Assuming it still works online, the Docking Station add-on included with Exodus also lets you open portals to other players' games and let creatures roam between worlds, or you can swap them selectively. Which is cool.

Creatures Village was a far more simplistic, kiddy-fied take on the franchise that wasn't received all that well and I never bothered checking out.

And for a REAL obscure bit of trivia, there was a GBA game released only in Europe based loosely around the first game. :eng101:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Looks like Raptor: Call of the Shadows is out.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Periodiko posted:

Hey doctorfrog, is your avatar from a game or is it just evocative of something I would really want to play.

It's apparently this. I wasn't able to get the version with tiles to work though.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah, Tyrian 2000's been free here for a long time now, and the port, OpenTyrian, is here.

It'd be awesome if it got the GOG treatment so as to not have to fiddle around with it manually in DOSbox, sure, but they'd probably have to give it away for free so I don't see it being any kind of a priority for them.

It shouldn't be too hard to get working anyway, you just might have to do without all the graphics settings cranked all the way up. Some of the effects like heat distortion can inflate the overhead like you wouldn't believe.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

Holy poo poo, Raptor! Awesome game, but how does it compare to the original, Apogee DOS-based version?

I'm 99% certain is the original, Apogee DOS-based version. Just with some weird license changing and optional HQ2X scalers or some crap.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

Funny enough, even I wasn't willing to play the Kings Quest games despite my systematic abuse of the Sierra mailroom.

From what I've seen of them, you're not missing out on much with KQ1-4. 5 had a retarded number of dead-end moments that gave you no indication they were dead ends, but was otherwise playable if you're willing to look up a map of the desert.

KQ6 finally cut back on the dead-ends a bit and it's at least generally evident what the cause is when you run into one. The puzzles are generally more logical, the story more original, and one scene in particular is hauntingly well illustrated and written. Probably the worst thing it has going for it is the entirety of the Isle of the Sacred Mountain which is the game's roundabout copy protection scheme and requires you to constantly reference the manual for clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

Windows 95 was the worst thing to happen to DOS games ever.

Until Dosbox came around, I think XP was more deserving of that title.