Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Constantine XI posted:

Something tells me $10 is a little overpriced considering I can buy Fallout, Fallout 2 and Planescape in one pack at Wal Mart for the same price.

You should absolutely do that. Copies of PlaneScape go for like fifty motherfuckin' dollars on eBay, last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Constantine XI posted:

I'll support whoever gives me the best price. And I'm not sure how supporting some website based in...Poland?...is like supporting a local business. I'm not saying it's a bad site or anything. I'd definitely consider buying some titles from them. It's just that given the age of the games and the fact it's download only I feel the DOS titles should be no more than $5 apiece.

$5: A-OK!
$6: gently caress that, I'm going to Wal-Mart

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Constantine XI posted:

Most of the titles are $10 chief.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

54 titles are $6 and 33 titles are $10. There are only a couple of DOS games that are $10.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Can anyone running Windows 7 attest to Fallout 2 running properly? The version from the White Label Fallout Collection, with the latest Killap patch, has the rainbow colors bug and I can't get it to go away. I'd be willing to rebuy the game on GOG if I knew it would work properly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sporadic posted:

I'm hoping for another publisher with alot of point-and-click adventure games, maybe The Adventure Company.

I hope it's The Adventure Company. I'd buy Syberia again if I could.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Man, I already own all three games on the Fallout Collection DVD. Why am I considering buying them again :I

Weedle
May 31, 2006

lil sartre posted:

Can you give away or sell your GoG account/games or is it like Steam? I got 2 games, Giants and Toca3, that I don't play anymore. BTW Giants is awesome

No. It's unlikely that any digital distribution platform will ever allow this.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Davoren posted:

Or you could just click on the game in your list then click 'gift to a friend'.

If you want to buy the game for somebody else, which isn't what he was asking.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

Went ahead and bought Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project also as another salute to 3D Realms and the great games they made.

Too bad they didn't make Manhattan Project :v:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

deltawing posted:

How is that game? I enjoyed a TOCA game on PS1 or PS2 once as a demo, but never went any further. Also, Racing Games on PC? Does that even work? :/

It does if you use a gamepad or wheel.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Horn posted:

In case anyone else is wondering the site is G2Buy.com. They also sell cheap starcraft/brood war and WC3 keys (no frozen throne though :().

How legal is this?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

They just implemented a personal wishlist feature. Now I can get rid of that text file in My Documents. Also the Gothics are on sale.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm guessing Noir: A Shadowy Thriller

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

grim fandango?

Not FMV.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Overwined posted:

I guess there's a first for everything. Not to mention GoG at least has permission to give out BASS. I doubt they did this without at least first getting the okay from someone at LucasArts.

Considering that Beneath a Steel Sky wasn't made or published by LucasArts, they probably didn't have any say in the matter.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sylphosaurus posted:

There's plenty of retards voting for new games in that list. You'd think that Good OLD Games would give some people a hint.

Well, when they offer games like Far Cry and FlatOut, you can hardly blame fans for getting a little confused as to what exactly constitutes "old."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

royallthefourth posted:

In case anyone in here doesn't already know, Painkiller is really what Doom 3 should've been.

Painkiller is way more linear than Doom but it definitely does the "shooting a hundred guys a minute" thing better than any other game in recent memory.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

al-azad posted:

Now that a new MechWarrior was announced, the games need to find their way to GoG.

Like now.

MechWarrior 4 is being released for free soon.

http://battletech.catalystgamelabs.com/2009/07/09/mechwarrior-to-be-distributed-free-on-battletech-com/

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hairball posted:

Did they ever give any reason for getting rid of them in the first place?

The licensing agreement with the publisher expired and they couldn't agree on a renewal.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Then don't buy it.

Vote with your wallet if it bothers you that much.

Except that the people this affects are people who already bought it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Machine posted:

Couldn't they just say, "hey RECENT TITLE X will only be available for z number of days/months, so BUY NOW!" and get a poo poo load of hoard buyers to pick it up?

Then they can be all, "Yeah, I got TOCA3 on my virtual shelf :smug:" and the title sells more?

They did exactly this when it came to light that it would be removed.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

markgreyam posted:

Edit : It's just occured to me that saying RTS doesn't automatically have to mean base building and resource collecting. As in, you know, Dawn of War 2.

This type of game is generally referred to as real-time tactics.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I want an odd number of Interplay games! Oh no!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

Sacrifice and Giants are both kind of similar in that they are goofy games that make a serious effort to bend their respective genres. Sacrifice is an RTS game that controls like an action RPG (You are a mage! who summons dudes and fights with them), while Giants is more of a classic story-based action game. Sorry, I remember enjoying Giants when I was young but I don't remember anything about it.

Giants also has RTS elements: certain missions have you collecting the native creatures to build structures and produce equipment.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lamacq posted:

I just got Descent 1-2 and Freespace 2. Downloading now. I've been waiting over a decade to play these games.

So can somebody fill me in on why the Mechwarrior games aren't available anymore?

They never were.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

al-azad posted:

Mechanized Assault Exploration (M.A.X.) will likely be passed over by most players but I wholly recommend against it. Even now the game holds its own well mostly due to the distinct lack of turn based games even now. If you don't like taking turns you can switch it to real-time mode but blech that takes all the fun out of it.

You recommend against it, but it's good? What?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Could someone do me a favor and gift me Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Giant Citizens Kabuto, and Sacrifice. I ran into a snag and won't have the money for this sale in time. I can repay you through Paypal on Thursday. E-mail me at rirse@msn.com if you are able to do this.

Email sent.

edit: There doesn't seem to be a way to gift multiple games.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 8, 2009

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AG3 posted:

Only bummer with it is that unlike almost every other adventure game out there, you can do mistakes that makes you permanently stuck and unable to progress (without dying or anything obvious telling you that you're not going anywhere).

Man, that poo poo was the order of the day back in the 1980s.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bethesda has filed a lawsuit against Interplay for breach of contract, and is demanding that Interplay stop selling Fallout-branded products:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6217290.html

I wonder what this will mean for the Fallout games on GOG, since they're licensed by Interplay. Hopefully GOG will be able to work out a deal with Bethesda to keep selling them.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Overwined posted:

Well Steam has the older FO games with Interplay listed as their publisher. So if Steam has a similar deal as GoG has, that's good news because you have to imagine Bethesda would not like to interrupt sales. Hell, since everything is already set up on both sites, it would seem like there would be almost no trouble. All these sites really have to do is change the publisher listed on their sites and send the checks to Bethesda instead of Interplay.

It's probably a little more complicated than that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

From GOG's Twitter:

"Some great announcements coming up on the site in the next few weeks/months! This press release I'm writing now... drool."

I hope with all my heart that this is related to the rumored Planescape: Torment rerelease.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

Sanitarium! I remember this game from an old Eidos demo disk that came with Omikron or Thief 2.

Browsing GOG sometimes is like browsing CompUSA back when I had a 100 Mhz Pentium, looking for $10 Gold Box bargains. You never knew what arcane old stuff you would find (or whether it would run). EA has got to unsquinch its little rear end in a top hat someday and let some of those old EA, Origin, and Eidos titles out of the vault.

Eidos is Square-Enix, not EA.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

there was some rumours, from inside sources apparently, that situation had changed, mainly it would work like Operation Flashpoint has been

what, the gently caress, are you talking about

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

I've never heard of Manhole...sounds like the AO version of Myst where you explore the Goatse cavern.

It's actually a surreal children's adventure game in which the emphasis is more on exploration and watching cool/weird stuff happen than on solving puzzles and working towards a definite goal.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Divine Divinity is, certainly. Myst... eh... I guess the housewives liked it.

Tropico owns, though.

Divine Divinity is one of the best ARPGs of the past decade and Myst is one of the most influential adventure games ever hth

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Zat posted:

I guess they've done quite some re-encoding to stuff since the download's only 1.6 GB :?:

Almost certainly. All of the video in the original game was in Quicktime format, which is horrendously inefficient in regard to file size. They've probably been re-encoded as H.264 files or something.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sethsez posted:

No matter what I do I can't get Riven to save on Vista 32. :(

Right-click on the shortcut and select "Run as administrator." Don't turn UAC off unless you want anything that manages to run on your machine to do whatever it wants, as well as a bunch of Windows features to silently and mysteriously break.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Blodskur posted:

Driver: Parallel Lines is now available for $9.99.

They're really stretching the definitions of "good" and "old."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Overwined posted:

Whatever happened to the original Driver game? I still have fond memories of it even though it seemed a tad unpolished.

You used to be able to get it from Direct2Drive, but it's since been removed from the site. It's now on the iPhone: http://appshopper.com/games/driver

Weedle
May 31, 2006

They're selling the easter egg from Excel 97 where you could fly around the purple mountains and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rabhadh posted:

I hope to god its Encarta '97

I would buy MindMaze if they sold it as its own product