Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bleusilences posted:

You will be able to download it again, they are just removing them from their market place.

No, you won't be able to re-download them, which is why people are pissed.

Of course, people are over-reacting tremendously, and backing the games up isn't much of an issue, but the complaint isn't entirely without merit either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Ohvee posted:

It's in plain English in their Terms of Service, though. That's something everyone agrees to when they sign up for an account.
Of course, this is one of those arguments that will NEVER end.

When the big print says "re-download as much as you want forever" and the fine print says "you may not be able to re-download as much as you want forever" people are always going to get upset when the latter occurs. GOG definitely covered their asses legally, but it's understandable why some people aren't inclined to care about that.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Amethyst posted:

Jeez people, it's $10. Just think of it as buying a cheapo game on disc, not being able to download forever is not a big deal.

It's not a big deal, it just sucks when you're told you can and then it's revoked later. Nothing to rage about or anything, but a whiny post or two in a thread doesn't seem like a massive overreaction.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Halibut Barn posted:

I didn't realize until I took a second look that the M&M VI pack will actually include all of the first six M&M games. That's definitely great for anyone interested in the classic old-school CRPGs.

It'll also be nice to have a version of M&M VI that'll work in Vista without pulling teeth. IV-VI are absolutely brilliant games and for $10 it's a steal, in my opinion.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Honest Thief posted:

What kind of games are they similar to? Wizardry? I never got too into M&M because of the cheap look of it, that and the 3DO brand.

The Might and Magic games are pretty much sillier, slightly easier Wizardry games with (in my opinion) more interesting combat since positioning matters a bit more.

If you're a fan of the older Wizardry games (ie, before 8) then I highly recommend giving World of Xeen a try. I agree that VI and up had a cheap feel to them, but the Xeen games hold up better than most PC titles from their era graphically, and are still incredibly playable (I actually went through the Xeen games for the first time a couple months ago and was amazed at how well they've aged).

Edit: Also, ignoring theem because of the 3DO brand is a bit like ignoring the Ultima series because of the EA brand. The best games were made before the developers got acquired.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

FLX posted:

Hidden gem of this week: Arx Fatalis for $4.99

Well hey, I was going to get this sometime this week anyway, now I have even more motivation to do so.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Well, I picked up Arx Fatalis and it's great when it wants to work. I either have to choose between using my native resolution and getting fatal memory errors with some regularity, or playing at 1280x800 in Windows 98 compatibility mode (I'm using Vista). I don't regret getting it for $5, but it's the first game I've gotten from GoG that's has issues like this.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Grawl posted:

Abandon ware. That's not legal, although it's highly unlikely anyway will bother to sue you.

Actually I'm pretty sure he's right and it was officially released as freeware a while back, possibly to promote Red Baron II.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

It's a classic, but I honestly have no idea how well it holds up, and $10 seems a little steep when Il-2 Sturmovik is available for the same price on the same service.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Grawl posted:

What's your guys take on this pack?

They're... not exactly the best games (Ishar in particular), but Robinson's Requiem offers a brand of survival gameplay that you don't really find anywhere else, and the Ishar games at least have somewhat interesting mechanics involving how the characters in your party interact.

Basically, it's nothing to get really excited about, but for the price it might be worth checking out if the games' systems interest you and you're okay with lovely interfaces.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Myst is drat good and Riven is brilliant, they just had the bad fortune of inspiring so many awful imitators that they unfairly get pegged as killing an entire genre.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

flatluigi posted:

You need sales on $6 and $10 games?

Yeah, the nice thing about GoG is that they don't need to have constant sales because the prices are already good.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

No matter what I do I can't get Riven to save on Vista 32. :(

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Running as an admin doesn't fix it, and neither do any of the compatibility modes.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Pro Pinball: Fantastic Journey
Pro Pinball: Big Race USA
Pro Pinball: Timeshock
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Sacrifice
Fallout
Fallout 2
Freespace 2

Can't argue with that. And hell, I might get another batch of games before this thing is over.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Overwined posted:

Whatever happened to the original Driver game? I still have fond memories of it even though it seemed a tad unpolished.

This is what I'd really like to have. The first Driver still has some of the best car chases around, even though it looks like complete poo poo now.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

raezr posted:

I've always been disappointed in how GOG never gets any hilariously awful negative user reviews. Everyone on there loves every single game.

The fact that the Ishar collection has anything above a star is pretty good proof of this.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Holy poo poo, today's games (and prices) are amazing.

That said, I wish there was an easy way to get Outcast to work on a modern LCD without just running in a tiny window in the middle of the screen. 512x384 just doesn't want to play nice with my monitor and it takes away from how gorgeous the game still manages to be. :(

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

FLX posted:

From the GOG Outcast forum:
I saw that and it does work... somewhat. Text is aligned all wrong, movies seem garbled, and it likes to crash.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

Because I got burned with Interstate 76 for not working on Windows 7 after trying all of their solutions, I just want to make sure that Moo 1 and 2 work for Windows 7?

They're both running under DOSbox so there shouldn't be any issues at all. :)

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Spatial posted:

Your GPU should have scaling controls somewhere in its control panel. Make it use GPU scaling instead of relying on the monitor. The GPU can scale any resolution.

You might also need to add 512x384 as a custom resolution.

For some reason the game insists on running at 640x480 and rending the game in a 512x384 window with black borders rather than just rendering at 512x384, regardless of what .ini I edit (and there are a whole lot of 'em).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hemish posted:

Tex Murphy (Any goons played that?)
Start with Under a Killing Moon. It's pretty great and if you can take the cheese of Phantasmagoria you can definitely take the cheese of this.

quote:

Dark Fall 2
Better than Dark Fall 1, so if you liked that go for it.

quote:

Gabriel Knight
All three are worth getting. The third one gets a lot of poo poo for the cat mustache puzzle, but it's still a solid conclusion to the trilogy.

quote:

Time to read the whole thread and see what goons recommend from the other genres!
Fallout 1 & 2 are definitely needed, and I'm a huge fan of Might and Magic 1-6. Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is also a no brainer, and Master of Orion 2 is still one of the best strategy games out there. Finally, Freespace 2 is the best mission-based space sim ever made, with Tie Fighter being the only real competition.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

I don't think Might and Magic 1-6 aged well and sort of don't like them. I purchased them and didn't even get out of the first starting areas. Had way too many issues with gameplay and handy shortcuts I expect games to take. But I was never really a fan of those games, but loved the crap out of Daggerfall.

I think the movement throws me off in M&M, I have a hard time telling where I am.

4, 5 and 6 are the only ones I actually like, and of those only 6 is remotely modern (though the auto maps and quest journals of 3, 4 and 5 were definitely ahead of their time). That said, I'll stand behind 6 as a game that's aged surprisingly well.

The first two are definitely "you had to be there" games, though, and 3 is pretty much just Xeen only slightly worse, which makes playing through it only worth it for people who want to go through the entire series.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

GreatGreen posted:

When I run my games, they only take up like 1/10th of the screen and they're stuck in the upper left corner, and the rest of the screen goes black. Is there a way to expand the game to the entire screen?

Assuming the games you're trying to run are DOSBox, go into the game's .conf file and try changing the fullscreen resolution to your native resolution and adjusting the output setting (I believe surface has issues with scaling up, I generally use ddraw).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Vastakaiun posted:

How essential would you say playing the original Myst is in order to play Riven? I watched a few Let's Play videos of Riven, and now I really want to play it.

How much would my experience of playing Riven be hampered by not playing Myst?

It's not essential at all. All you need to know is that you found the Myst book in the real world and got transported to Myst island with no way off, Atrus is a guy who writes linking books, and his family is full of assholes.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Hav posted:

I'm obviously the only person that ever played Wing Commander:Prophecy, which I tend to rate as highly as Freespace 2, if not a little more. Also first game I bought for my Voodoo 1 graphics card.

I love Prophecy, but Freespace 2 just plays better even if it doesn't have the personality.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

I have no clue what I'm doing in Outcast. I loaded it up and walked around and collected metal and swam around and seem to be stuck in the snow village.

Also, can use my Xbox controller, but only the movement stick and two buttons. If I can use the other stick to move the camera, I would be in heaven. Anyone figure out how to work that out yet?

Or what the hell I need to do to get out of this starter town. I see a stargate and I found a radio or something on the roof, but nothing else seems to work and I pulled my gun out and have no clue how to put it away.

Warlords 3 Battlecry did own. I liked it, might buy it if it's 5.99 or on sale. I thought it was 9.99 which just seemed like way too much.

Talk to people until one of them tells you what to do. The village isn't exactly bustling so it shouldn't take long.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

I almost watched all of it, I tried. I tried talking to random people too, but I guess they just don't say anything if they are not supposed to talk to you. I didn't want to punch them either and then I took out my gun and can't talk to anyone.

Man, old action games do not age well.

Are you greeting them? You have to actually select the command you want to use. Go up to them, press the action button (which I believe is the left mouse button by default), then use your movement buttons to select whichever thing you want to say ("Greet" is the one you should use to find the guy you're looking for).

I mean, I can understand that some aspects of the game are outdated, but you press the context-sensitive action button to bring up a dialog menu like just about every modern action-RPG that exists. It's not exactly Ultima IV.

Edit: I guess I can understand not knowing which button is the action button if you're using a 360 pad, though. I have no idea what's what in that case.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 26, 2010

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, that seems to be the problem, oh well, I was hoping I could play it on my laptop with a controller, looks like a desktop game then.

Speaking of bad moves by ID games, mouselook wasn't defaulted in Quake 1, you had to hold down a button to mouse look or mess with the ini (or command line in game)

You could always use Xpadder to set everything up.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tecman posted:

If you've bought Blood, this may interest you (you may have seen it from the 2.5D thread, and for some reason I cannot post in it right now):

What is it? A package that contains pretty much every Blood map and modification out there. I guess it's done (until the public finds about a billion more bugs I've missed, ugh) - http://blood.nanoaugur.net - grab the full version, the patch is for testers that want to update their version from 0.9 :)

Installation instructions are in the file and also here. If you can rehost, please do so. This is a lovely Dreamhost account and I've had it die under a goon(fleet) rush before. :(

edit (Thanks, Grawl):
Download torrent81 (1 files; 537.73 MB)
View torrent stats

This looks pretty awesome. :)

Does it include bMouse? After using that I can't ever imagine going back to Blood's default mouselook behavior.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

al-azad posted:

It amazes me Atari hasn't ported MoO to the DS or no one has tried making a 4X on the system. The game's so simple in execution but complex in design that it's perfect for a pick-up-and-play title. Sometimes I wish I owned my own company with endless buckets of money because these things seem like good ideas.

Disciples II and Europa Universalis II were in development for the DS ages ago, but the company that was working on them vanished off the face of the Earth.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

al-azad posted:

I will say that Jagged Alliance on the DS is a pretty good port and well worth the year something delay because I never got around to finishing it on PC. Some dude was porting XCOM and that died off too.

I forgot that came out.

Also, if you really want a 4X game on the DS there's always Civ Revolutions.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Blodskur posted:

Panzer General 3D: Assault is now on GOG for $9.99.

Does anyone know how this compares to Panzer General 1+2?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

I just get lost easily in those games before full 3D took over. I hate moving a chunk at a time or whatever. Daggerfall 3D is the best kind of dungeon crawling for me. I like the fallout view or the daggerfall view best.

Well, each Realms of Arkania games handles movement differently. The first game is entirely tile-based 90 degree movement, the second game is full 3D graphics with controls that can be switched between tile-based and free movement, and the third is free movement only. Of the three, the first is the only one that would probably bother you, and it's nowhere near as good as the next two games so it's easy enough to skip anyway.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I wish I could recommend a single one of these games.

I can, the Pro Pinball games are fantastic and are easily the best retail pinball simulators ever made.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Awesome Andy posted:

I bought the might and magic pack and started through world of Xeen but when I want to leave the first town it asks for a password but the manual I got with the download doesn't work.
This sucks, ten dollars wasted.

As shelcar said, there's a PDF with all the passwords in it.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

News: WARNING - WE'RE GOING TO PLAY A JOKE ON YOU TOMORROW!

I expect my friends to prank me and generally gently caress around. I expect a business whose only interactions with me are financial to be professional.

It's not acting like a baby to shop elsewhere if you find the customer service bad, and I'd say shutting down the storefront and download servers as a joke is pretty terrible customer service. I've certainly seen people refuse to return to a restaurant because of rude waiters or switch banks because of terrible hours and long lines, so if this were a joke (and that's a big if) I don't see how it's any different.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Danger Mahoney posted:

I don't think you've ever had a problem with a gog game then. They don't support a single one of their games at all.

Exactly, I've gotten quite a few that work like poo poo so I wouldn't say their customer service is perfect aside from this "prank" which some people are defending because this is the internet and people just love to act like they're above all the rabble.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wait, they said that there's a reason that they can't give their paying customers access to their files, right? And they said that it'll be 'fixed' (ie. access will be restored) in a few days, right?

Calm the hell down. I'd hate to see the day Steam goes offline for a week because of some server failure. The internet will run crimson with digital, pixelated blood!

(I seriously doubt this is a PR stunt.)

If Steam went down for some technical issue I'd be irritated, but it happens. If GOG is down because of sudden legal or financial issues beyond their controls then it sucks, but that's how it goes. If this is a stunt that's completely within their control or they're purposefully being vague about what's going on to "build suspense" or whatever then they seriously need to fire their PR guy for thinking that messing with paying customers is a good idea.

If a guy who's sick pukes on me then it sucks but I'm not that angry at him. If he sticks his finger down his throat and pukes on me I'm significantly less forgiving.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

sexual rickshaw posted:

Is the Ishar Compilation worth getting? I've been looking at it, but after seeing videos of it, it looks rather hard.

Not really. If you absolutely MUST have a Dungeon Master style game then I suppose there aren't many other options on GoG, but overall they're pretty simple and bland.

They do have nice graphics though, and the party personality system in (I believe) 2 is pretty spiffy, but overall you'd be much better served by the Realms of Arkania games or the Might and Magic collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

AxeManiac posted:

They make some xbox controller emulator thing that if you plug in your xbox controller it just emulates your entire keyboard. You can set anything, including the mouse movements to any controlstick. It works really well, I even set it up with dosbox and play older games with it.

I forgot the full name of it, but I can look at it when I get home.

That would be xpadder. It's a paid program now (or was the last time I checked), but there's still a free version floating around out there that works perfectly fine.