Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Since I lost my original hive and haven't tried to do another I've been tossing around the idea of building a bumble bee or Carpenter bee house. They're nice because like a bird house all they do is attract those types of bees but don't require any work or interaction on your part.

Don't know how well they actually work but it would mitigate the health concerns of having a honeybee hive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

That sounds really cool and I hope you post a log in DIY as you progress through it.

I went no water in the front of my house and got a nasty letter from the city. Turns out "no water landscaping" doesn't include not watering grass.

Who knew?

On topic, how did everyone's hives do over the winter? That's when I lost mine a few years ago. Hope the same hasn't happened to anybody else.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

dwoloz posted:

So in conclusion, not a good idea to get bees first and then learn how to beekeep

I disagree. That's the best way to be a beekeeper!

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

With a new season of beekeeping upon (some :() of us I wanted to check in and see if the OP needed to be changed, updated, or if the whole thing should be scrapped and a new thread/op should be started.

I started this thread when I started my first hive but there are plenty of folks in here with a whole lot more knowledge and experience than I did/do. With the new season upon us it might be worth tapping that knowledge to create a more complete first impression for new keepers.

Best of luck to all of you this season. My fiancee has agreed to let me have another shot at keeping bees after our wedding this year so come 2016 I should be able to join you all again.