Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm sniggering like a retard on acid at the thought of receiving a box of bees in the post.

Bees are awesome, I'd like a big enough garden in a reasonable location to make a hive worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zuph posted:

A buddy of mine just bought a huge mesh strainer and crushed the comb in it. His end product ended up with a lot more wax in it than you would get at Kroger, but it was only a cosmetic effect, really.

I saw a really funky strainer/spinner made from an old vertical washing machine - slice the front of the cells off, bit of metalwork to hold three frames, hand cranked, tres funky.

Edit: There's also a video explanation of bee boxes at Makezine, the kind for hi-jacking wild bees.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 8, 2009

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Picture time!

So how do you get the bees into the hive? You turn the box upside down and shake!

My hero. When I move I might try and hide a hive behind the shed, let them do their thing in peace.