Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SWNomad
Jun 28, 2008

Wreckus posted:

What do you do if your bees become Africanized?

I'm curious about this too. I just found the other beekeeping thread last week and have been pondering a hive. But I live in an area under a lot of threat from africanized bees. In fact, I stumbled upon a documentary on africanized bees that takes place where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SWNomad
Jun 28, 2008
Update on the whole Africanization Issue:

I went down to a local bee supply store and they were quite helpful. From what I gather, the key is to watch for your queen going missing or drones laying eggs. If your queen is replaced by an Africanized one, then you could keep them; they just become more grumpy. If you live in the city, it is probably better just to trash the hive and start over.