Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

kid sinister posted:

How hard is it to train them to attack on command?

Not that hard, but it rarely works out for the best.

Good luck with the bees OP, it should be a fun adventure :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cakefool posted:

I'm sniggering like a retard on acid at the thought of receiving a box of bees in the post.

Bees are awesome, I'd like a big enough garden in a reasonable location to make a hive worthwhile.

Well that's the best part, you don't need a garden at all for this to work. As long as you have room for the hive, the bees will fly out and seek flowers in the area.

From what I understand lots of people have hives on the roofs of their apartment buildings in europe. It's like farming without any land at all.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I've used some like the cheap ones when I was working on my truck with a neighbour, I found they ripped quite easily.

If you're worried about getting stung, I would spend the extra cash on the thicker/stronger ones.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Armacham posted:

We have a pretty tiny backyard, with a lot of neighbors (townhome community) How feasible would this be for me

Do people in your neighbourhood have gardens or flower planters?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I won't be able to keep bees this year, but I want to plan for next year.

This year I'm planting grass seed with lots of clover seed interspersed, I want berry (saskatoon, raspberry, cherry trees) bushes, fruit trees (apple, cherry), lilac hedge and maybe a few flower beds, but not a lot. Plus the vegetable garden.

Given western Canada's climate, and the Alberta prairie in particular, do you guys think this will provide an adequately balanced diet for the bees?

I have 1 acre to work with, minus the house and workshop once they get built. There are other houses in the area also with gardens and flower beds, but I don't know what exactly they have.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I should have said a flowering period balance I suppose. I don't really know much about plants and their flowering periods.

Do you think this will offer the bees enough flowers throughout the growing season?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

walrusman posted:

The caps and crushed comb that I was getting ready to render? Well I looked in the bowl and discovered it was floating in what looked like clear, gorgeous honey. So I threw it back in the strainer overnight, and I bet I got close to another quart of honey out of it.

I'll be rendering the wax today; I need to buy a big pot at Goodwill because everything I've read says never use a pot you ever want to use again for anything else. I've got a lot of wax, but not nearly as much as I thought I did, because I strained a ton of weight out of it overnight. :)

God I love my bees.

I read somewhere, I think that anarchist beekeeper page posted earlier, that you can leave the crushed comb in a bowl near the hive, and they'll clean out all the residual honey and leave perfectly clean wax behind.

I can't wait to get into this hobby.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

walrusman posted:

Bad idea. Two hours later the honey on the bottom of the tub was full of dead bees, probably half from drowning and half killed by the hundreds of yellowjackets gorging themselves on the honey. I was surprised not to see any ants, actually.

:smith:

drat, that's a shame man.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Anyone have any images of a winter-hardened hive? I'd like to see what the little ladies do to keep out the ice.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

From what was said earlier in the thread (I'm no expert, so I'm not 100% sure or anything) you can move hives long distances, but don't move them across your yard.

Bees can handle long distance moves but they can't handle little changes, it's not part of their navigation system.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ishamael posted:

Attaching the sides and ends

GIVE ME YOUR CAR.

Also, that's a beautiful hive.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ishamael posted:

Anyhow, glad to hear the queen is dead. As for drone comb, there isn't a set amount they will make. Some of the top bar people have seen as much as 20% of their total comb taken up by drone comb, no one is quite sure why the amount of drone comb can fluctuate so much.

The ladies is gettin' lonely :parrot:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Tanisen posted:

They got me twice. One on each hand.

Click here for the full 1460x1095 image.

Holy poo poo.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

If they clump up, doesn't that mean they're cold?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I would sure like a laser cutter :smith:

but it would have to be able to cut steel.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Can't you just leave it as it is?

Take your honey from the other bar comb once they start filling it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, regarding image hosting: I used waffle because rightload works with it. I wish there was a way to batch upload to tinypic, but they put in a captcha so I can't do that anymore. Does anyone know of a free imagehost that works well with SA and allows/supports batch uploads?

If you sign up for tinypic (which is free and you can use a throwaway email address) you can just click on "my stuff" and bypass the captcha completely.

Also you can batch upload 5 at a time from that page.

It's not great, but it's not too bad.