Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CuddleChunks posted:

Over the years my parents had their hives they would take the honey to a local beekeeper for processing and then come home with jars and jars and tubs of honey.

Beginning Beekeeping: http://www.badbeekeeping.com/howtobee.htm

quote:

Ten hives with an extractor to separate combs from honey and
all the other stuff required will be about three thousand bucks.

So, if I have room for a pair of hives on my roof...I still need something else to actually get honey in a jar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CuddleChunks posted:

For homebrew extraction you could probably even warm things up a bit and just tilt the honeycomb over a bowl and let gravity do its work. You may want to pass it through a tight metal mesh a second time to strain out any bits of non-honey but that should get you something to spread on crepes or whatever.

Thanks. It sounds pretty interesting.

So, as long as I have a big of spare roof space (and some flowers reasonably near by), I could keep a couple of hives for not much effort and enjoy that sweet, sweet honey!