Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eaglehound
Sep 29, 2005
Find the awful, boy! Find it!
Now I have a question, am I supposed to prime/paint the bottom, inner cover, and cover too?

You should paint the out-sides of the bottom board and the outside of the telescoping cover. Dont paint the inside of the telescoping cover or any part of the inner cover. Some people paint all of the bottom board, some paint just the first couple of inches, which are 'outside'. Your choice. Remember: 'Ask 3 beekeeps - get 4 answers'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eaglehound
Sep 29, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

I've always wanted to take a class on beekeeping, but there's none in my area. Doesn't anyone in NJ love bees? :smith:

These folks do!:

http://www.njbeekeepers.org

http://www.njbeekeepers.org/LocalBranches.htm

-- Lists eight separate branches - one of them has got to near you!

Eaglehound
Sep 29, 2005

Crazy Armed Pilot posted:

The inner cover is not even, so there is one side that has more space. to keep the "bee space" I think the side with less room should be down. Is that correct?

Yes, the small side should be down.

I have to credit my beekeeping mentor for the "ask 3 beekeeps - get 4 answers" line. Another favorite line of his comes out when a couple of people start arguing about how to do something or how one way is better than another. He interrupts whichever person is being the most self-righteous and says in a kindly voice - "Well, maybe his bees didn't read the manual?" Stops the foolishness every time. 55 years of keeping bees, he's seen it all and knows better. I can only hope to live long enough to be as awesome as he is.

Eaglehound
Sep 29, 2005
Generally, the bees can travel, but the paranoia factor for drivers is high. Inside: what if I'm trapped inside with 5,000 bees? (answer: Pull over between noticing bees #3 and #4...)
Outside in pickup bed: are they too hot? too cold? too windy? need water? escaping? etc.

If you have any other beekeepers in the area -- 90% of them will jump at the chance to get more bees to supplement their hives, particularly if you give them away for free.