Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Good thread.

My dad kept bees when I was a kid. we lived in a suburban house in northern Sweden of all places. Bees will even produce honey in sub-arctic climates is what I'm saying.

I have vivid memories of every doorknob in the house being sticky during the honey harvest, and how awesome it was to crank the big shiny honeycomb centrifuge he'd borrow for the job.

He had two hives, and had a couple of successful seasons, but I recall he had problems with the bees getting more grumpy, and they'd sting a lot more. He requeened once or twice, but then he had an entire hive succumb to some disease or other, and he lost interest and got rid of all his gear. He also shaved off his beard and went a lot more yuppie than before, so there might be a connection there. Come to think of it, the calm and patience that seems to be important in successful beekeepers is rather deficient in my father's personality.

Anyway, I have an interest in honeybees since childhood, and I'd like to keep a hive or two at some point in life. Can't do it now, but who knows in a few years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

WerrWaaa posted:

Tell me about moving hives. I live in a rented home and intend to move down the street next year, just a couple miles, and was wondering if that would disturb them too much of if they would be ok if i just picked up their boxes and took off. Would they bug rage and kill me?

I may need to be corrected on this, but I seem to recall that you have to move a hive some distance in order to be safe - if you don't move the hive far enough, bees will fly back to their previous home location and just sit there looking stupid. This problem can be avoided by first moving the hives far away for some period of time and then back close to the original location.

e: I'm pretty sure "a couple of miles" will be far enough, but I don't know for certain. Either way, beehives are moved all the time. Some make their living moving tractor trailers full of hives around North America pollinating different fruit orchards and whatnot.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 11, 2009