Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Explosions in the Sky

psylent fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
The Joy Formidable from Saturday night. highly recommend shooting if you get the chance, the lead singer, Ritzy has a crazy amount of energy.

shykid10
May 4, 2009

MMD3 posted:

The Joy Formidable from Saturday night. highly recommend shooting if you get the chance, the lead singer, Ritzy has a crazy amount of energy.

Was this at Crystal Ballroom? Got to shoot Joy Formidable a few months ago at MFNW. Lots of fun to shoot.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

shykid10 posted:

Was this at Crystal Ballroom? Got to shoot Joy Formidable a few months ago at MFNW. Lots of fun to shoot.

Yeah, Crystal Ballroom. That's right, I remember seeing a few of your shots from MFNW but I don't know if you ever shared any of The Joy Formidable did you?

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 12, 2011

shykid10
May 4, 2009

MMD3 posted:

Yeah, Crystal Ballroom. That's right, I remember seeing a few of your shots from MFNW but I don't know if you ever shared any of The Joy Formidable did you?

Just had a few that I processed. Ritzy was spazzy in such a wonderful way.

Ritzy Bryan of Joy Formidable by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

Ritzy Bryan of Joy Formidable by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

shykid10 posted:

Just had a few that I processed. Ritzy was spazzy in such a wonderful way.

yeah, she's pretty insane/intense/kick-rear end.

this is how they ended their set at this show:

https://vimeo.com/33503091

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Hot Snakes:

One of the top ten shows I've ever seen.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Going through my Lightroom library and came across from old photos I haven't posted

IMG_3464 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

IMG_3556 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Hey, let's do some discussion for the holidays:

http://www.papermag.com/2011/12/matisyahu_snaps_attacks_photogrpaher.php

quote:

Papermag assigned photographer Rebecca Smeyne to shoot Matisyahu's "Festival of Light" Hanukkah show last night at Music Hall of Williamsburg. Fun, festive times, right? Apparently not. We were dismayed to see a tweet from Rebecca around 10 p.m. saying the laid-back Hasidic rap star had kicked her in the face and broken her camera's expensive flash during the show. What?! Chilled-out nice-guy dub-reggae star Matisyahu did what? We've seen Rebecca shoot concerts and parties and she isn't aggressive or obnoxious in her pursuits to get her great shots, nor were we told flash wouldn't be allowed at this show. So what happened? Rebecca breaks down her side of the story for us below.

The night was strange from the start. It was December 21st, yet it was so unseasonably warm outside, I left my coat at home. I was on my way to cover Hasidic dub reggae star Matisyahu's 6th annual Festival of Light Hanukkah Tour -- one of his three nights at Music Hall of Williamsburg (where he happens to hold the record for the most sold-out shows). When I arrived at the venue, there was a crowd of Hasidic men standing near the entrance. They weren't patrons of the show, but on mitzvah missions, looking in a likely place for people who would answer affirmatively to the question "Are you Jewish?" My editor and I had pre-arranged a photo pass for the show through Matisyahu's publicists, and there was no mention of restrictions in terms of photography or flash. For the first half of the show, I shot from the floor, behind someone, near the side of the stage. I didn't use flash most of the time because there was bright enough lighting. About halfway through the set, Matisyahu went to the opposite end of the stage to light a huge menorah. I moved closer to get a shot of this key moment, and ended up toward the center, still behind a few people. After he was done with the Menorah, Matisyahu resumed performing in center stage. I took the opportunity of my proximity to take some flash photos, to get some detail shots. And this is when things got weird.

After 12 flash shots over a few minute period (the camera gives me this data), Matisyahu stepped toward me, off the stage. The person in front of me moved and the next thing I knew Matisyahu's foot was on my face and I fell to the ground. At first I assumed he was trying to crowdsurf, that he wasn't deliberately trying to step on me. But when I got up, he was in the middle of the audience. When I turned to look at him, he charged at me and attempted to forcefully wrestle the camera away from me. I had the camera strap wrapped around my wrist several times, and I held the body tightly with both hands. Finally, he ripped the external flash off the top of the camera, leaving wires exposed. Suffice to say, this is not an inexpensive piece of equipment, and he had clearly damaged it deliberately. I went to find security, and requested to talk to the manager. They told me to go outside, so I did, and then I called the police. I wasn't hurt, but I wanted to be reimbursed for the equipment damage and felt I needed to file an official report. The cops showed up while Matisyahu was still on stage. Eventually, after the officers made it clear they weren't leaving, Matisyahu's manager sheepishly came out, said he saw the whole thing, apologized for Matisyahu's behavior, and said it was "out of character." He said they'd pay for the damage, and I accepted, but still wanted to file the report, to have some documentation. Then he offered to settle in cash, on the spot. He gave me a fat stack of bills, and I thanked the police for coming out and called it a night.

So why did he freak out? This is a performer who's been in the spotlight for ten years; he has nearly 1.5 million followers on twitter. He should be very used to photographers. And I shoot performances often enough (over 600 different bands in the past 5 years, professionally) to know I wasn't doing anything, shall we say, un-Kosher. As it turns out, Matisyahu had been in the news a lot this week, after he unexpectedly shed all of his facial hair and curls and announced via twitter that he is "reclaiming" himself from religious rules." This week at Music Hall was, in fact, the first time he'd been seen in public with his new look, which the press has described as "confusing to fans." And no, he's not giving interviews about it. Whether these recent changes caused him to snap, is unclear. I will say, though, that the show itself was pretty underwhelming, save for the talents of his backing band (holla Dub Trio), and a supremely awesome huge disco dreidel hanging from the ceiling. But I guess at this point, you could say I'm biased.

UPDATE: Matisyahu's PR team just sent over the rapper's official statement about what happened at the show:
"I regret what transpired when I tried to remove the camera from the photographer's hands last night. As an artist on stage, it is very distracting and disorienting to have a camera flashing in your face for an extended period of time. I reacted impulsively out of frustration and for that I apologize."

UPDATE: Matisyahu has tweeted the following in response: "@papermagazine @rebeccasmeyne Sorry about last night. I totally snapped. I wouldn't call it a kick, more like stepping into the crowd. and being that you've shot so many shows you should know how distracting a huge flash in your face is. Seemed like you were there everywhere I turned with that flash. Next time be more sensitive to the performer."

I love that she goes on about how she wasn't told that she can't use flash; it doesn't mean that you should. 12 flash shots in a minute? If I'm using a 580EXII and shooting with it, 12 flash shots over a minute or once every five seconds, I can't see poo poo for that entire time. Not to mention a pro photographer is getting a wonderful shot like this with direct flash:

As opposed to no flash:

poo poo. I'm not a fantastic photographer but between the two of those, as a shooter and as an editor, I know which one I'd run and which one I'd say "gently caress off" to.

I'm not saying that Matisyahu was right; it's a dick move. But it's an understandable one, at least. And to have the photographer go out and say "well really i did nothing wrong" is bullshit. "600 shows over 5 years"? Surely that's enough to realize that the '3 Songs No Flash' is sadly enough the norm. Yeah, there have been shows I've shot that do allow flash, but I've usually been informed beforehand. Unless I know the band or have discussed it beforehand, flash is a straight up no-no.

Once again; I'm not saying that Matisyahu's reaction was correct. He could have told security or addressed her, but she was pretty obviously interrupting his performance. It irks me that she's going around yelling that because she's a professional photographer, she's above reproach for disregarding what is pretty much a worldwide accepted rule. There's a few photographers down here or are like that and though it's a pretty small community for music photographers, people don't really have much to do with them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

I, Butthole posted:

I'm more concerned with why Matisyahu is wearing lipstick while performing

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It was a dick move on the artist's part. All he had to do was ask and she probably would have cut out the flash pronto.

If you check the EXIF info on the flash photo, she was shooting at 1/80, f/4.5, ISO 3200 so it's not like she was totally cranking it.

When I do use flash at shows, I try not to take shots right in the performers' faces out courtesy. But yeah, why she was using flash when she has a 5DMkII, I don't know.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

It was a dick move on the artist's part. All he had to do was ask and she probably would have cut out the flash pronto.

If you check the EXIF info on the flash photo, she was shooting at 1/80, f/4.5, ISO 3200 so it's not like she was totally cranking it.

4.5 and 3200ISO at a venue, and the flash photo comes out like that? I'd reckon it's still a flash at high enough power to be annoying (can't read the EXIF though; does it have that info?)

Regardless, coming out and saying "well I'm a pro so I can disregard the rules" is enough to make me angry. It's photographers with that mentality that have created the insistence on 3 songs no flash, and saying the equivalent of "go gently caress yourself artist" and using the flash is not going to help any future photographers in the eyes of the management. All it does is make the rest of us look like dicks and have less access when we're already pretty loving confined to begin with.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I like listening to Matisyahu, but I'm going to step in and say that assaulting someone isn't an appropriate reaction to flash photography.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

If she has been doing this 'professionally' for 5 years, surely the 3 Songs No Flash rule as the absolute norm/unspoken rule would have sunk into her head by now. Sheesh. I don't blame Matisyahu for getting angry, at all.

I don't think I even take a flash to gigs I'm shooting anymore...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Nilson posted:

If she has been doing this 'professionally' for 5 years, surely the 3 Songs No Flash rule as the absolute norm/unspoken rule would have sunk into her head by now. Sheesh. I don't blame Matisyahu for getting angry, at all.

I don't think I even take a flash to gigs I'm shooting anymore...

I have pretty much never taken a flash to a concert at anything bigger than a hole in the wall club and it's never been an issue. Any decent sized venues have plenty of light, especially if she's rocking a 5dMkII.

While I agree that it's completely inappropriate for a performer to lash out at a photog like that her justifications are pretty stupid. She must've been bugging the poo poo out of him (and likely noticeably so) for him to go at her like that.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

MMD3 posted:

I have pretty much never taken a flash to a concert at anything bigger than a hole in the wall club and it's never been an issue. Any decent sized venues have plenty of light, especially if she's rocking a 5dMkII.

While I agree that it's completely inappropriate for a performer to lash out at a photog like that her justifications are pretty stupid. She must've been bugging the poo poo out of him (and likely noticeably so) for him to go at her like that.

According to her quote in the article, 12 photos with flash over a minute. Once every 5 seconds, a strobe from a 580EXII goes off. That poo poo would HURT.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
edit.
Nvm, google helped >_>

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 26, 2011

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I, Butthole posted:

According to her quote in the article, 12 photos with flash over a minute. Once every 5 seconds, a strobe from a 580EXII goes off. That poo poo would HURT.

It says "over a few minute period." Also, I think it's important to note that what would hurt in this situation is getting kicked in the face. I'll take photons over feet anytime.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Oh man, I am busting a nut right now because DxO Optics 7 has a slider called "Protect saturated colors" that is perfect for fixing those blotchy oversaturated highlights from LED stage lighting.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

HPL posted:

Oh man, I am busting a nut right now because DxO Optics 7 has a slider called "Protect saturated colors" that is perfect for fixing those blotchy oversaturated highlights from LED stage lighting.

How does DxO fit into your workflow?

vvvvvvvv http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410935&pagenumber=14#post399012698

Evilkiksass fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 28, 2011

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Evilkiksass posted:

How does DxO fit into your workflow?

I just put up a post in the EVIL/NEX/blah blah blah thread about it. If I knew how to link to a particular post, I'd do that.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

I just put up a post in the EVIL/NEX/blah blah blah thread about it. If I knew how to link to a particular post, I'd do that.

Click the # symbol under your avatar.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
And I guess I'm gonna say happy new years to the best Dorkroom thread ever :3:

My first week in Jan is looking packed; The Kooks, Jim Jones Revue, Crystal Castles and The Death Set. Gonna be hot.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
While I got the pass rather last minute I shot the Four Year Strong Holiday Show in Worcester, MA on 12/30/11 and broke in the fisheye with mixed results

Four Year Strong Preview by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Then I shot a basement show on NYE, the bassist came a little too close for comfort with this jump but the picture is worth it

Hank! by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 1, 2012

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I got kicked in the face by the lead singer of Foals during a show. I didn't even have a flash on my camera. I use a ST-E2 as a focus assist on my 5d2. It's really easy to say "I don't even have a flash" when it's true. But who knows, I was taking shots during the first song with a photo pass, and he got up right to the edge of the stage, and I dropped down to do this shot:

IMG_3811.jpg by dunx17, on Flickr

Then I chimped (saw that it wasn't so great) and looked up in time to get a sneaker catching me in the chin. It was more of a shock than anything, it was briefly painful. He kept glaring at me the rest of the show, but nothing was broken.

I don't bring my 530 EX II to concerts, since it's way too big with a diffuser on it and you can't use it anyways. The ST-E2 helps with the auto-focus without being a distraction.

About a minute after the face kick, he did a flying jump off the stage and broke some girls nose with his guitar (he held it to his chest to "crowd surf"). Blood everywhere, the works. She left, no idea what happened with that.

edit: this was back when I had a 7D, but still no flash.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 2, 2012

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I love jump shots

Hank!-30 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

I used to hate fisheye band shots but if done well it can actually turn out pretty awesome

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Shot two shows at two venues at the same time on new years eve.

http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts2011/New-Years-Eve-in-East-Van/20844357_2MtWm2

Shot everything at 3200 and 6400 because all I have for my camera right now is the kit zoom lens which is f/3.5-5.6. I had to photograph the burlesque dancer in manual focus because it was so dark the camera wouldn't focus on anything by itself.

shykid10
May 4, 2009
Shot a NYE show at Mississippi Studios in Portland with Radiation City and Nurses.

Cameron Spies of Radiation City by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

Lizzy Ellison of Radiation City by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

Nurses @ Mississippi Studios by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

Aaron Chapman of Nurses by Rose City Live Photo, on Flickr

Sarsaparilla
Feb 24, 2007

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.
So I'm completely new to photography but I've been working with local bands as an illustrator doing album art, fliers, and promo pieces for years and this Christmas someone bought me a Canon Rebel dslr kit and a 50mm/1.8 lens for it.

And of course my first impulse was local concert photography so I went out and shot two shows for fun. After tagging them on facebook, I mysteriously booked my first paid band promo shoot from one of the bands. Eek! I feel incredibly under-experienced in this arena and would love some advice/critique.

Would especially benefit from advice about lovely lighting in small venues (Why do all Chicago venues love pink lights? ICK)

Here are a couple shots from the last shows (and my first experience with photography in general):

Also - what should I look for when shopping for a fish-eye lens?

Sarsaparilla fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 4, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Sarsaparilla posted:

Also - what should I look for when shopping for a fish-eye lens?

Don't.

Look for fast primes like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I've shot tons of shows over the years both in big venues and crappy ones and by far, the most used lens in my bag is the Sigma 30. You'll actually get a ton of mileage out of just a Sigma 30 and a fast 50. When I want to travel light, that's the combo I take to a show.

Also, as an alternative to a fisheye, take a look at an ultra-wide like the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. That lens has totally saved my bacon in small venues. You'll be able to get full body and group shots when nothing else will. It's also good for shots where you want to show the band interacting with the crowd. It's also good for jump shots because you can frame conservatively and get everything in the frame as opposed to trying to predict how high the artist will jump and guessing wrong and cutting their head off or whatever.

Fisheyes are by and large a gimmick lens. Yes, you can get awesome photos out of them but for a photographer starting out, your money is far better invested in fast primes because you'll use them all the time as opposed to occasionally.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HPL posted:

Don't.

Look for fast primes like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I've shot tons of shows over the years both in big venues and crappy ones and by far, the most used lens in my bag is the Sigma 30. You'll actually get a ton of mileage out of just a Sigma 30 and a fast 50. When I want to travel light, that's the combo I take to a show.

This... I own two lenses, rent everything else I need. those two lenses are a 50 f/1.4 and a 24 f/1.4, I almost don't need anything else for any of the venues in town. For big events and festivals I'll sometimes rent a 70-200 or 24-70 to get some more variety and if I know the photo pit will be back from the stage. 24 and 50mm primes are the most versatile lenses you could hope for for concerts.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Cut Copy put my pictures up in their Gallery thing, with credit.

http://cutcopy.net/photos/

Scroll down to the 2nd to last. Feels pretty good!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

dunkman posted:

Cut Copy put my pictures up in their Gallery thing, with credit.

http://cutcopy.net/photos/

Scroll down to the 2nd to last. Feels pretty good!

They and their management are cool dudes. It's great to see them getting big in America; better than The Presets or Art Vs Science from the Australian electrock scene, at least.

Also, Crystal Castles cancelled my media pass (both photo and review) because they don't accept online media. They cancelled on the day of the show, despite saying "yes" to me a month prior, both through management and the publicity company. poo poo cop.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Don't.

Also, as an alternative to a fisheye, take a look at an ultra-wide like the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. That lens has totally saved my bacon in small venues. You'll be able to get full body and group shots when nothing else will. It's also good for shots where you want to show the band interacting with the crowd. It's also good for jump shots because you can frame conservatively and get everything in the frame as opposed to trying to predict how high the artist will jump and guessing wrong and cutting their head off or whatever.

Fisheyes are by and large a gimmick lens. Yes, you can get awesome photos out of them but for a photographer starting out, your money is far better invested in fast primes because you'll use them all the time as opposed to occasionally.

Ironically as someone who just bought a fisheye I agree with this. I shoot a lot of basement shows and it's great for that but for larger venues with legit lighting (as I found out on the 30th) I far prefer my primes, especially my 35mm f/2. I spent the majority of my time in post dropping exposure because the fisheye was so drat wide that it kept overexposing the scene. For basement shows and small, badly lit venues where I can use flash I'll use it but past that I"ll be sticking with fast primes. I'm also weird and shoot super wide in general starting with the Sigma 10-20 on my XTi, then the 24-70 on my 5D2 (also I'm one of two concert photogs I know that shoots with a 5D2) and now the 15mm fisheye after years of shooting with primes and zoom lenses. It's a tough lens to get used to and not something I would recommend for a starting photographer, I'm having a hell of a time getting used to it.

Transit-17 by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 4, 2012

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Ugh. I just had to reject an offer to shoot PJ Harvey.

The Australians here will be familiar with Faster Louder - I put my hand up to shoot PJ's Sydney show tonight weeks ago, and they finally sent me details about it yesterday. Three songs from the sound booth and then escorted from the venue. Of course, they also want me to get lots of "social pics".

gently caress that noise. If I'm shooting for free I should at least be able to stay for the whole show. It'll probably mean that they won't use me again for anything, but it's just not worth my time.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Isn't it kind of hard to get social pics when you're outside the building?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

Isn't it kind of hard to get social pics when you're outside the building?

It was a seated show I believe.

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

psylent posted:

Ugh. I just had to reject an offer to shoot PJ Harvey.

The Australians here will be familiar with Faster Louder - I put my hand up to shoot PJ's Sydney show tonight weeks ago, and they finally sent me details about it yesterday. Three songs from the sound booth and then escorted from the venue. Of course, they also want me to get lots of "social pics".

gently caress that noise. If I'm shooting for free I should at least be able to stay for the whole show. It'll probably mean that they won't use me again for anything, but it's just not worth my time.

Wow at least you got the opportunity. The media place I asked to shoot for got rejected outright - also heard a few (major-ish) other media outlets were 'no' as well.

Also gently caress shooting from the sounddesk. Especially the State Theatre - just too far away :( Good call.

edit: also Beth Orton was the same thing. Got to shoot that but it was from the back, with great purple and red lighting :argh:

Nilson fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 18, 2012

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

From what I'm reading a photo pass sometimes get's you free entry, sometimes it does and sometimes you just get in for your 3 songs. What is your experience with this?

Do you clear that with the publicist first or just go to the venue and hope for the best? If they don't give you free entry do they allow you to purchase entry even if the show is sold out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Gravitom posted:

From what I'm reading a photo pass sometimes get's you free entry, sometimes it does and sometimes you just get in for your 3 songs. What is your experience with this?

Usually when I sign the appropriate papers at the venue, they give me a photo pass, an actual ticket and I go in.