Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Munkaboo posted:

PROTOMEN! Powerglove! MAGFEST!

Protomen are loving awesome live FYI.

Woa. I was there. You were there as well. I was helping run the arcade section. Nice pics, we should have drank together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Shoot 50mm 1.4 wide open erry day

This is All Tomorrow's Parties Melbourne...but only the 50mm photos that I shot wide open that I've saved from the website I work for, because all the originals are still on my laptop.

Swans, The Drones, E. Neubauten, Civil Civic, Harmony, and I think a few others in there.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Here's a few that are re-sized down to fit on here.

Chevelle

Hollywood Undead

Like I said, I don't consider myself a pro or anything remotely close to it, so feel free to critique away.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Eels!

Unfortunately the listing I read got the time wrong so I showed up late and got a bad spot. I had much better luck a couple years ago:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Soundwave!

Dragonforce

Anthrax

Sum 41

Slayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Linkin Park

hosed Up (hosed Up are better than you always and you should know this)

damian rules

Metallica

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

I saw Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds tonight at the Sydney Opera House. Wasn't technically shooting (as you might have guessed from the pic), but I got my 5dII and 35mm in there anyway. Just couldn't let an awesome thing like a Bad Seeds gig go undocumented.

Not my finest hour of photography but holy poo poo was this gig suddenly in my top 5 ever? Oh yes :mmmhmm:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Photographed the Idobi Meltdown Festival last night. Circa Survive headlined. So many LED lights

Circa Survive by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

The Menzingers were one of the openers

The Menzingers by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Someone talk me out of shooting a death/black metal band with a 6x6 folder, 85mm f4.5 (at 1/200) and using delta 3200 (will push to 6400 if necessary).

The band in question suit the aesthetics perfectly, and I'd use my Bronica GS-1 if it weren't for the absolute certainty that it will either get damaged or stolen in transit.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I would strongly advise you to use a flash so you can stop down to f/11 or something. The DOF on medium format is way too unforgiving for focusing in low contrast conditions on moving subjects, especially on a small and dim rangefinder or ground glass. I've completely wasted film on at least two or three shows because of that. The times it did work were where I was shooting from farther away so there was greater DOF to work with. The best results I've ever had shooting concerts with medium format were by far with flash, plus it gives the photos that old-timey look like an old press photo.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
First of all, I'm sorry for the watermark. While we use a smaller one now, due to an HDD problem I lost the edited version of the pics, so I had to use these ones, which I posted on my facebook. Also, these are facebook versions, so quality is not ideal
My post production skills are close to non-existent so suggestions would be appreciated.
Without further ado...

Metalcamp 2011
This was, literally, the first time I was using my camera outside of "auto" mode. A very nice photographer there, and who has become my friend, gave me a quick explanation of aperture, shutter speed and ISO and sent me on my way (I was using a Canon 400D and a kit lens). Since I was covering the festival anyway, I thought that I might as well give it a try. The results were, in my opinion, not too bad. Since then I have, to some extent, improved (I think/hope).
I have stuff from other gigs, but I think I'm filling this enough.
Feel free to tear them all apart and tell me I sucked.

Mastodon

Watain

(I'd love some opinions as to whether the B&W or the color version work better)

Milking the Goat Machine

Der Apokalytischen Reiter (I'm pretty sure I hosed up the spelling there)

Legions of the Damned

Powerwolf

Belphegor

Amorphis

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 13, 2013

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
So I went to one of my friend's concerts and took some pictures.
I used my NEX-3 with the 16mm lens for the wide-angles and a M42 135mm MF lens. Even using focus peaking I had a really hard time getting the focus right with that one.
I got around 500 pics and most of them turned out pretty out of focus.

DSC00845 by AFBK, on Flickr

DSC00711 by AFBK, on Flickr

DSC00550 by AFBK, on Flickr

Lots more at my Flickr.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
The quality of the photos in this thread make me so critical of my own shots.

Here's a couple from the Finch show at the Glass House in Pomona a few weeks ago.

Finch, Feb 10 2012-343-Edit.jpg by Matthew Gilford, on Flickr

Finch, Feb 10 2012-254-Edit.jpg by Matthew Gilford, on Flickr

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

n0n0 posted:

The quality of the photos in this thread make me so critical of my own shots.

Here's a couple from the Finch show at the Glass House in Pomona a few weeks ago.

Finch, Feb 10 2012-343-Edit.jpg by Matthew Gilford, on Flickr

Finch, Feb 10 2012-254-Edit.jpg by Matthew Gilford, on Flickr

I just got back from shooting Finch! I swear I got better photos of the openers because Nathan moves around so loving much.

Finch by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

pr0digal posted:

I just got back from shooting Finch! I swear I got better photos of the openers because Nathan moves around so loving much.

Finch by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

The World is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

He does move around a lot -- but he's also quite photogenic and he makes cool expressions, which makes him fun to photograph. I hadn't ever really listened to Finch before, and I find their live performances to blow the roof off compared to their studio recordings.

Also, cool photos :)

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

n0n0 posted:

He does move around a lot -- but he's also quite photogenic and he makes cool expressions, which makes him fun to photograph. I hadn't ever really listened to Finch before, and I find their live performances to blow the roof off compared to their studio recordings.

Also, cool photos :)

Thanks dude! Also I prefer to shoot on a 35 prime when I'm shooting larger venues so that's an added challenge plus f/1.4 when I borrow the L lens so that's fun (and my own fault).

And it's not all about action shots

Nate of Finch by Ethan Hansen Photography, on Flickr

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Prissy Clerks; Now, Now; Jukebox the Ghost, Matt Pond, The Lighthouse and the Whaler

Finally shelled out for a 60D, at least for the last 3 sets. It's so much nicer having a real continuous mode and a second dial, though I did finally figure out the button setup to adjust all of ISO, aperture, and shutter in manual on the old T3. Also discovered that Corel's post software works well on Linux, and while the interface isn't as easy as Lightroom's, it's better than the rest of the (completely unusable) Linux market, and will suffice while I'm stuck without my main workstation. Excited enough to shoot both band and dancers for Bajofondo next weekend that I'm planning on renting 85mm and 35mm primes; looks like the venue doesn't care if you're using an SLR as long as you abide by the no flash/first three sets rule. What the hell is the logic around not allowing "professional" cameras without a press pass, especially if the venue isn't large enough to have a photo pit?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Just got home to Australia from SXSW. Had a chance to shoot Iggy Pop at Mohawk in Austin (which is a tiny, tiny stage for those who don't know). One of the best shows I've seen in my life.

e: no barrier, and fuckin' Japandroids supported. So killer. Will have a few more photos up later.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

Just got home to Australia from SXSW. Had a chance to shoot Iggy Pop at Mohawk in Austin (which is a tiny, tiny stage for those who don't know). One of the best shows I've seen in my life.

e: no barrier, and fuckin' Japandroids supported. So killer. Will have a few more photos up later.

killer

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
This Fuji x100 isn't bad at all

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Joy Formidable in Portland last night

JoyFormidable_347 by Kent, J, on Flickr

JoyFormidable_336 by Kent, J, on Flickr

JoyFormidable_153 by Kent, J, on Flickr

JoyFormidable_325 by Kent, J, on Flickr

JoyFormidable_357 by Kent, J, on Flickr

JoyFormidable_399 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Bajofondo in Minneapolis. More bands should have a bandeon, because giant concertinas are loads of fun to shoot. Didn't get him making a giant arch overhead or having the crowd holding onto one half because of the three-set rule, but still awesome.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
The xx came through my town. I'll never like this band, but I'm really happy with the photos.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

So shooting bands is fun, there is a local Village Voice network newspaper here, I feel like I could produce work that meets their standards and have the beginnings of a portfolio at least, where do I go to try and actually get work on assignment from them? Just show up at their office and ask? Print stuff? How do I present it? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

The Power Pro & Metal Festival was loving awesome.
The whole set is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76532959@N08/sets/72157633288558159/

Avantasia

Avantasia by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Stratovarius

Stratovarius by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Stratovarius by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Behemoth

Behemoth by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Turisas

Turisas by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Gamma Ray

Gamma Ray by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Helloween

Helloween by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Pretty sure I loving called this http://petapixel.com/2013/04/22/aft...%28PetaPixel%29

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.
Took some photos at a regional music festival a couple of hours out of Sydney this weekend, and was pleasantly surprised at how well my ultra cheap 70-300 f/4-5.6 lens managed when paired up with the relatively clean, high ISO levels on the MkIII

I didn't have a press pass or pit access, but I did get permission to bring SLR gear, which was otherwise banned. I had people approaching me all day asking to have their photo taken, and now have a massive gallery of crazy party people as well.

(Click all for much larger)

ISO 1600

ISO 3200

ISO 250

ISO 6400

ISO 6400

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Red light fever! (click for big obviously)

Gospel of the Horns: Chaos & Perdition in Limerick by Falamh on 500px.com

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I saw Boris last night and actually remembered to take my camera to a show for once!

Fog can be neat.

BORIS - Takeshi by iantuten, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I love lighting guys who know what they're doing.

Real Talk the Poet by Myotomy, on Flickr

Omar Jahwar by Myotomy, on Flickr

Mathien by Myotomy, on Flickr

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

RangerScum posted:

I love lighting guys who know what they're doing.

Real Talk the Poet by Myotomy, on Flickr

Omar Jahwar by Myotomy, on Flickr

These are all great, good work man... a well-lit venue/smart lighting designer always make for much more enjoyable shooting and can totally make the difference between portfolio-worthy shots and just okay shots.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This was a very dark show ... I couldn't really figure out what to do with the noise & colours:

Also it was unfortunately cut short by Jaz Coleman's voice giving out ... but gently caress, Killing Joke are one of the greatest bands ever.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
You have to try really goddamn hard to not take good photos of Matt and Kim.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Photographed Avantasia last week

Amanda Somerville by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Ronnie by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Tobi by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Tobi by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Michael by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

Amanda Sommerville by MetalBlast.net, on Flickr

There are a few others in that album

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
I wish Sommerville did more stuff, shes an awesome singer and one of few in Metal I can tolerate. Although I really didn't like Trillium

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Munkaboo posted:

I wish Sommerville did more stuff, shes an awesome singer and one of few in Metal I can tolerate. Although I really didn't like Trillium

I agree. Try the following:
Aina
Amanda Sommerville (solo album)
Kiske-Somerville

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

congratulations, you found a roll of film?

are you looking for critique or...?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Saw MS MR tonight ... go see them if you like indie-electro! Amazing show! http://www.msmrsounds.com/tour

Their big single is Hurricane

I feel like it was a special moment, where I caught them just before they made it big and there will no longer be small-venue intimate shows afterwards. They have Sony money behind them now, and I see their album advertised everywhere I go online.

Opener, Magic Men:

MS MR:

...this dude spent the entire time front row & centre mouthing all the words and recording the entire drat show:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
MSMR were loving terrible when they were over here for Laneway...terribly boring as so many hype bands are nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

How long ago was that? Were they opening or headlining? I skipped them a month or two ago when they were opening for Jessie Ware.