Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I actually ended up getting a remote for my flash unit for Christmas - figured I'd be doing some promo and I could explore some exciting opportunities there.

Interesting shots, I'll have to play around with it a little bit! these are 30 minute sets so it goes quick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I use my flash with a remote. Just hold it in my hand and choose an angle that fits the moment. Fast and fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

My second show with the Odd Eye Circle tour, in Houston this time.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

More photos from our battle of the bands that's going on - quick turnaround on edits this week.

027 - Energetic noisy Alternative Metal that's unrelenting in noise. Huge noise coming from just 3 dudes.
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

Diamond Weapon - Touché Amore/La Dispute mixed with Thursday and Thrice - unbelievable. Way too small for how good they were. Should've won the evening.

Crown For a King - Local band rising from the ashes of a past deadbeat vocalist who scammed the city of thousands of dollars before loving off to Ireland, what a weird story. They won. They shouldn't have won. I don't know how they won. They didn't even have a set list.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Tacobitch was quite something. Such a fun visual experience.

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 24, 2024

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Hell yeah - those folks look nutty as heck.

Back at with the second round of our local Battle of the Bands. No one showed up because we're a university town and it's reading week - woops.

Napoleon

Diamond Weapon

Feura - winner (online votes are a real big decider in this one it seems)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bumping

Night 2 of Round 2 of our local battle of the bands finally happened - had a classic business-let-their-insurance-lapse the day of the originally scheduled date so it had to be postponed by a week, then as a result one of the bands had to drop out. So it's only a 2fer for the night

Bluff:

Crown For A King:

Both of which are moving onto the final in a couple weeks. Kind of going through the motions now with these bands haha. They play nice music I suppose.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Last one is sick

Shooting my favorite band since high school for their 20th year album tour (RX Bandits) this week.

Might be shooting loving Madonna on Monday, but I’m not sure what I will be able to share of that. Then a big Kpop arena show Wednesday.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Wow that's quite a future list of acts to photograph!

Biggest win for me recently is a local band seeking me out to shoot for them specifically when they go to the next town over! , big steps up! I feel like I'm getting a decent foot in the scene here.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Madonna is huge man. Would be sensational. But also inshallah at getting to shoot your favourite band.

Great stuff, but I really like this one in particular. A lot of energy in one photo

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Incredible night. Probably the best rock show of my life. Lighting was rough for photos though, this was the color cast I was working with most of the night

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 11, 2024

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slotducks posted:

Crown For a King - Local band rising from the ashes of a past deadbeat vocalist who scammed the city of thousands of dollars before loving off to Ireland, what a weird story.

Story please.

Woodenlung posted:

Tacobitch was quite something. Such a fun visual experience.

This whole set is brilliant, but this one is my favourite.
Great costumes, cool lighting, lots of action, and then out of the bottom third of the image - why is foot?
It's like one of those "that's not his arm!" photos that circulate on facebook. Except with better costumes.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

Story please.

I only got the cliff notes --

Guy spooled up his own promotion company and absolutely rinsed the city and it's Chamber of Commerce and business development units for funds, even had the mayor come out for a ribbon cutting ceremony.
All to have a show at our decrepit concert theater that's extremely underused (doesn't even have social media in 2024... smdh) -- sold out crowd everything like that, never paid anyone out of it and hosed off to Ireland like the next day/week or something.

2022 was a weird year lmao

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nick Bernhart's Disheveled Cuss in LA. He's part of a lot of projects including Death Grips and Portugal the Man. Very cool stuff.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Slotducks posted:

I only got the cliff notes --

Guy spooled up his own promotion company and absolutely rinsed the city and it's Chamber of Commerce and business development units for funds, even had the mayor come out for a ribbon cutting ceremony.
All to have a show at our decrepit concert theater that's extremely underused (doesn't even have social media in 2024... smdh) -- sold out crowd everything like that, never paid anyone out of it and hosed off to Ireland like the next day/week or something.

2022 was a weird year lmao

Love this story also because that happens everywhere all the time and people never get consequences in the music industry. It happened very similarly here except the guy just screwed over a bunch of local audio engineers and indie recording studios, then ran from Australia to London to get a new drummer for his two piece and avoided the city as much as possible when they got crewed in for festivals and international supports until he got enough clout to have control over local supports and who'd be used for crew locally. A real Royal oval office of a Bloody dude.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Love this story also because that happens everywhere all the time and people never get consequences in the music industry. It happened very similarly here except the guy just screwed over a bunch of local audio engineers and indie recording studios, then ran from Australia to London to get a new drummer for his two piece and avoided the city as much as possible when they got crewed in for festivals and international supports until he got enough clout to have control over local supports and who'd be used for crew locally. A real Royal oval office of a Bloody dude.

Ahah is this the same duo that had a hissy fit that a crowd energy wasn't high for them when they weren't the headliners? Not shocking at all.

To turn this positive, I got invited out to shoot a local band here playing their biggest show yet - they specifically sought me out to cover the event for them, which is SUPER validating. A little over a year ago I was just venturing into this music scene and now I have a bit of a local footing.
They were filming a music video the next day and they requested that I come through and shoot production stills for it as well. SUPER validating. I got to shoot some cool behind the scenes stuff, and see how a professional works. Very exciting opportunity.

Here's some quick edits from the evening:

Taking Balfour:

A few preview production stills:

Imagine filming in front of a barn after dark in -5°C hahaha it started snowing at some point. That's metal, baby.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Here’s a random selection from the stuff I’ve been shooting since I switched to the a7iii in early feb.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slotducks posted:

]

Imagine filming in front of a barn after dark in -5°C hahaha it started snowing at some point. That's metal, baby.

Good stuff!

And sidenote: you shoot a lot of Dingwall basses. Wonder why they’re so trendy in your scene? I mean, they’re definitely a great bass for metal, but I don’t see anywhere near that % of them in metal groups broadly speaking.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Good stuff!

And sidenote: you shoot a lot of Dingwall basses. Wonder why they’re so trendy in your scene? I mean, they’re definitely a great bass for metal, but I don’t see anywhere near that % of them in metal groups broadly speaking.

Thanks, it was honestly such a blast to be involved in such a cool weekend for a band like that.

Re: Dingwalls, it has to be the Canadian aspect to it all -- Sheldon Dingwall is Canadian and probably has a lot of market space in our music stores. That and someone probably 15 years ago praised them in a conversation around here and we're probably seeing the effects of that to this day; our scene is huge, supportive, but tight knit. I loving love the southern ontario music scene so much.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TWICE in Vegas, nothing like it.

Slotducks posted:

Re: Dingwalls, it has to be the Canadian aspect to it all -- Sheldon Dingwall is Canadian and probably has a lot of market space in our music stores.

Ah that makes a lot of sense. They were key in pushing the fanned fret design to mainstream and metal is probably the genre that benefits the most from it. I always love seeing and hearing them, gives the low end a really solid tone instead of the floppy muddiness of old.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 20, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ah poo poo, discord broke all my old image links :lol:

Here's my current portfolio, added a lot of my rock photos to the bottom of the page under my kpop work.

Concert Photography

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 20, 2024

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

ah poo poo, discord broke all my old image links :lol:

Here's my current portfolio, added a lot of my rock photos to the bottom of the page under my kpop work.

Concert Photography

Fyi, https://davidchilders.photos times out, but http://davidchilders.photos redirects to your site correctly. I think since you didn't include either, it defaults to https

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

That's a great portfolio - How often do you manage to update it?

I try to keep adding to mine but it gets a little bit daunting!

https://watermkmissing.myportfolio.com/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Fyi, https://davidchilders.photos times out, but http://davidchilders.photos redirects to your site correctly. I think since you didn't include either, it defaults to https

Thanks, I keep having issues with this and can’t figure out what I need to update on the registrar

Slotducks posted:

That's a great portfolio - How often do you manage to update it?

Almost everything (except ~5 or 6 pics) on there is from the past 9-10 months and I try to rotate in a few from each show as well as make a page for the full gallery.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 20, 2024

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Going to shoot my brothers band for the first time in a weeks time, playing at a friends bar. The bar is closing, and they usually get it packed. Like really packed. So last day he decided to book them and another band that also gets it pretty packed usually. Free entrance so poo poo is going to be insane I feel.

Rabble posted:

Here’s a random selection from the stuff I’ve been shooting since I switched to the a7iii in early feb.

The one with the glasses reflecting fucks pretty hard.

ExecuDork posted:

This whole set is brilliant, but this one is my favourite.
Great costumes, cool lighting, lots of action, and then out of the bottom third of the image - why is foot?
It's like one of those "that's not his arm!" photos that circulate on facebook. Except with better costumes.

Genuinely crazy experience. Saw them like 8 months ago at Roskilde Festival, their first show outside of Norway. and despite it being on a huge stage, it felt weirdly intimate.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
so loving dark there but

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 1, 2024

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I loving love floor shows + people playing their instrument as close as possible to the aforementioned floor.

I can't get enough of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oneus for their 2nd world tour. First shot is my favorite. Shooting boy groups presents a unique challenge in not showing certain things in their very tight pants :lol:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

Shooting boy groups presents a unique challenge in not showing certain things in their very tight pants :lol:

Contact fan clubs and sell the rights to individual pictures for more than you get paid for whole gigs

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

big black turnout posted:

Contact fan clubs and sell the rights to individual pictures for more than you get paid for whole gigs

Hah, some small Korean girls were behind me last night with big tele lenses and full frame DSLRs hiding in their hoodies. It's very common in kpop, they call them fansites* and they usually focus exclusively on one member of the group. But no clue how they sneak them in past walkthrough metal detectors.

Here's a pic I snapped of some doing it a few weeks back. This was at the end of an encore so they weren't even trying to hide any more.

*fansites are their own fascinating photography world. I met one guy that had a Canon r3 and 400 2.8 only for taking pics of an idol like paparazzi, with no other photography experience or use for that gear. There's a whole industry there of fansites that sell "data" where people buy lots of 100 raw files, but that's just like 3-5 seconds of burst shots from an event or whatever. Wild stuff.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 2, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Bottom Liner posted:

But no clue how they sneak them in past walkthrough metal detectors.

most camera poo poo these days is primarily plastic composites because weight

im surprised those venues just use metal detectors and not full bag searches though. US venues are tightasses about that sorta thing

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

most camera poo poo these days is primarily plastic composites because weight

im surprised those venues just use metal detectors and not full bag searches though. US venues are tightasses about that sorta thing

Cameras definitely go off, I just walked through yesterday with just two cameras and lenses in a belt pouch. And most of these shows are clear bag only, tote sized or smaller and those do get checked. They're hiding them in jackets/hoodies/whatever else and passing them around the detectors somehow. I'll try and ask one of them next time I see them.

EDIT:

apparently this is a common tactic, and they're less likely to be frisked as females with security being so rushed with long lines.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 2, 2024

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Attempting to feel less ambivalent about the images I get in my every fri/sat venue, posted a thing about it in the general thread, tl/dr, ive very limited spots i can stand, the stage lighting isnt great and i generally need to use flash as if someone moves a foot and a half either way they in total darkness, and there's most of the time a grey curtain right behind them. Last couple of weeks the curtain was actually open so I bust out the ol' lensbaby 2.0 to make use of the fairy lights, overall ive halved my usual shooting ISO and tried doing more available light on performers that stay in the same spot, dancers and such it's just not viable and often ends up looking real flat.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I think ultimately no matter the scenario, shooting the same thing, or same place, time and time again will lead to feelings of stagnation and potential frustration.

I like to think that even the photographers who tour with bands get bored of shooting the same band time and time again. Especially if the lighting is pre-programmed! (have confirmed this with touring photographers)

As for your photos, you're effective in capturing and telling the story of what's going on in the venue. It's a tight cramped space. There's not much more you squeeze from the environment unless you start to go into different outputs creativity wise - fisheye, super zoom, etc etc

#2 is my favourite photo from that set though, I'd be stoked on that photo for days on days.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

2 3 and the last are the standouts there and I think you’re doing well with what you have to work with

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Feedback appreciated, thank y'all. I was very lucky with 2, as usually if there's 2 or more folks on the stage one invariably ends up in the side that's fully unlit by the spots, and almost always they will be wearing black in this case because gently caress me i guess.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Slotducks posted:

I think ultimately no matter the scenario, shooting the same thing, or same place, time and time again will lead to feelings of stagnation and potential frustration.

I like to think that even the photographers who tour with bands get bored of shooting the same band time and time again. Especially if the lighting is pre-programmed! (have confirmed this with touring photographers)

eh, as long as it's different bands whatever. you're shooting them, not the venue. i miss having more regular spots because i already knew all the good angles and lighting setup, and could focus more on the band

sleepytime gorilla museum's homecoming show was a real treat despite not connections not coming through for a proper photo pass (fortunately door security was less than diligent about ensuring i actually took the proper camera to claim check), being stuck in one spot for the same reason, and a combination of being way out of practice, technical difficulties, and using kit i havent really used for concerts before (there's definitely a limit to what i can reliably hit with manual focus in lighting that confuses the focus assist peaking). the store show was more forgiving in that regard

probably the first and last metal show ill see that also features a balto-slavic women's choir

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Cult Leader

SWARTZHEIM

Katla

This one is amazing. Mesmerizing in a way.

I dont know what is going on here... but I like it haha

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Woodenlung posted:

I dont know what is going on here... but I like it haha

that's a pretty accurate description of the show in general. while the official taping is still in editing the guy next to me got decent video, even if the audio is pretty muddy (good enough to get the effect of the choir along with the band though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiQW1wFoaLU&t=2102s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Got to take photos of Body Thief, Makari, Hail the Sun, and Intervals last night - feelin' fortunate.

Here are some of the photos I gave to Body Thief in return for the photo pass they gave: