Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

dakana posted:

Yeah, that's why I download music. If the artists complain, then they're not the only people out there with guitars!

I agree with your point, but that it just an awful analogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

JohnnyC posted:

If someone is hiring you, don't just consider the $200 a token of appreciation, consider the fact that they even hired you at all a personal favour and treat it accordingly.

I'd like to think logical people think at the margin and no band or person would do charity like you're explaining by overpaying for photos they don't need. If someone values something at less than it costs, they don't but it. It's that simple.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

JohnnyC posted:

I'm the guy on the right in that photo. I'm in several bands and I work in alternative media. I know exactly how much a promo shot is worth, and the reason that I'm saying that you're overcharging if you charge $250 is that you're overcharging.

$250 can get you studio time. It can book a venue for a concert. It can press a hundred CDs. It can buy a bunch of shirts. These things are all far more important than a promo photo and have far more tangible results for the band. Charge like you're lucky to be asked to do promo shots at all, because you really are.

No one is disagreeing with you that for most bands, $250 can be better spent on the things you listed, but there are plenty of others out there that are willing to pay that amount. I'm a musician as well and I have seen bands start with the type of pictures you posted and as they become more well known they spend the money to get more professional pictures to be taken more seriously.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

TacosDeGato posted:

I was having some trouble with grain and lighting, but hey live and learn.

This is our plight, our fight...

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Trying to get an idea of what gear I'd need to get in order to be able to start shooting in nightclubs.

Currently I have:

Canon 40D
Tamron 17-50 2.8
Canon 50 1.8

Not much, I know. What should I be looking to get in terms of flashes, glass, etc to adequately be able to shoot at clubs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

MMD3 posted:

50 f/1.4 and then start saving for a new camera body. You'll get much more from picking up a 7D, 5D MkII, or 5D MkIII as far as low-light sensitivity and improved concert performance than from anything else.

I shot concerts for probably 7-8 years w/ prime lenses before I ever bought a flash and I still don't even use my flash at shows 95% of the time, it's mostly for event/crowd stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations, appreciate it. Would the same go if you were doing a lot of candid crowd shooting in terms of needing a flash (it being not a must)?