Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
Some of the suggestions in this thread really helped.

Some really didn't. Maybe it was just this environment I was in, but I found evaluative metering to be the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

I think you should think about picking up a book on digital photography. There's a lot of comprehensive knowledge in one of those that could help you.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

f2.8 just isn't fast enough. :(

Are a lot of you guys actual photographers? I've only been taking pictures for about half a year, and some of these pictures are making me realize how far I really have to go.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

SimonomiS posted:

The lighting has always been pretty good for me in the Manchester Academy, just don't come over to Liverpool.

That is really good lighting. I'm working on a concert I shot for fun a month ago at a local venue, and this is the best i've been able to coax out considering:

Noisy as hell. :(

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

man thats gross posted:

low f/ = :)

The quickest lens I had was a 2.8 at this point. I wised up and bought the 1.4 prime the next day, and surprisingly love it.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Local band - with a speedlight and a reflector.

Cross-posted from the Urbex thread:

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Wanted to see what you guys think of this. This is from a Mute Math show (second best show of my entire life) last night. Do you think there is potential in a collage/pano of this type when all you have is a point and shoot and no photo pass? So often its just spray and pray, but if I can use that to my advantage to create one cool piece from each show, I'd be pretty happy. Just thinking of how to make something different.

Was this at the synagogue in DC?

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

I was feeling really good about my shots, and then saw some of the ones that have been posted recently. I'm still happy with my shots, but man you guys are good.

Anyways, local band.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

pr0digal posted:

My flash settings are usually 1/2 power (diffused) with my f-stop at around f/4 and shutter speeds between 1/8th and 1/13th of a second. Granted I shoot mainly hardcore and pop-punk bands...

I was getting crap from some other "photographers" about using a f4 the other day. Okay, I understand you dont want things detracting from your subject. But I don't have the best AF point control on my camera (Canon XS), and if i grab a bad one at 1.8, then my shot is boned.

I guess that makes me feel better I'm not the only one.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Eeek posted:

I didn't know Matt Dillon had a retarded brother.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

No, keep the light red. I really like the feel it gives these.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Man, i really need to try and get into some legitimate venues. I haven't shot a show that has lighting anywhere near any of what some of you guys have done.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

AtomicManiac posted:

Nice! I'm shooting them in 2 weeks with Mastodon, it's my first "Big" shoot. Any advice?

Split your lungs with blood and thunder when you see the white whale.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Local band:

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

rockcity posted:

Is that first one a comp? I'm trying to figure out if it is or not.

It's not that obvious, is it?

I just took a picture with all the guys standing there, and then had the two on the left walk away and snapped another. I was pretty limited with space, and just couldn't get the guy in the middle right.

The rim light on the left was a little too strong, but it's not bad for a rookie effort (in my opinion).

This girl is really good at promos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuckwithpins/sets/72157606005048763/

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

psylent posted:

She does too, and she's 19. drat all these talented kids!

Did you see her equipment list?

drat all these talented wealthy kids.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

rockcity posted:

Edit: I think I'm gonna do a photoshoot with Craig Owens and his solo band soon. I need to find an interesting location.

I know you're probably a little hesitant to share this kind of information, but I'd love to see the thought process you put into setting up a promo shoot. From location, to having band members stand where they do, lighting positions, etc.

And also how you managed to get yourself some recognizable names as clients.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Super quick promo after a show.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

pr0digal posted:

Hello wide angle distortion!

I tried to fix it, but I swear I only make it worse.

Oh well, they loved it, and it was only a quickie shoot after a show, with an official one coming up. They were in the area, and just wanted something new to post up on their myspace.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

pr0digal, all your pictures make me think you get to have an absolute blast.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

Cool. I can see where shooting a band could be fun. To me though it ins't. I don't see why I am getting lynched here because I don't enjoy something/won't shoot something for free. I'm not bashing you guys for doing it, I am just saying for ME, as a professional, it's something I choose not to do.

I call it networking, which pays off (and already has for me) in the longrun.

But I'm also cheap.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

If we're in for this, I can do DC/Baltimore as well as Harrisburg/Lancaster PA.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

AtomicManiac posted:

It's really obvious to my eye, but I doubt the average person is gonna notice/care. I might turn it down on the outside guys, since it's the most obvious on them.

It was really obvious to mine too. You may want to crop it down a little too.

I like the second one, but you may want to tone down the sunglasses of the guy on the far right. They are kinda distracting.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Has anyone ever shot Sonar in Baltimore? I'm shooting there on sunday, and am not entirely sure what to expect.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

I've got a lot of chances to get some good stuff today - so if I don't screw it all up, hopefully I should have something to submit.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Just got home, and I am about to fall asleep sitting here.

But here's the first thing I see from one of my cards I like:

Click here for the full 2048x1365 image.

7D @ 3200 all night, baby.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

AtomicManiac posted:

As for the discussion, I want a 7D so bad. I'm thinking that + my 1.4 would look dead sexy. At 1.4 I can get away with shooting 400 iso on my Rebel at some of the nicer lit venues in town, so I'm really excited to see what it can do on a nice body.

Coming from a 7D shooter, save up the few extra hundred for the 5D, unless you really need the 1.6 crop factor. The 7D is great, but the full frame difference is amazing.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

So I just realized dxo optics doesn't support anything less than full sized raw files. anybody have a clever idea for a work around?

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Why's that a problem for you?

I shot at medium-quality raw (10mp) instead of the normal 18mp. I had a solid day to shoot, and ended up blowing through all the memory I brought with me even on medium quality.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

rockcity posted:

I don't know why people don't bring anything less than all their memory cards with them when they go out. I have a couple of cases that house all my cards and any time I take my camera with me the cases go too. And with how cheap memory cards are now, there's no excuse not to own enough to never run out before having time to ingest your photos. God I remember when I first started for the newspaper and I wanted my own card to use with their cameras and I spent something like $120 for a 128mb card and it held like 70 photos in jpeg on a D100.

I blew through 48 gigs of CF cards. :(

I shot a lot?

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

I have been awful at uploading stuff lately.

Skillet by ThePaleHorseman, on Flickr

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Skillet

RED

Newsboys

Skillet

Festival thirty minutes from my house. How could I not shoot it?

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Crossposted from the portrait thread, because he's in a band I did (poor) promos for before:

sm_MG_6482 by ThePaleHorseman, on Flickr

sm_MG_6446 by ThePaleHorseman, on Flickr

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

pr0digal posted:

Defeater

I just discovered them on Pandora the other day. 'Cowardice' is some good stuff.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

IMG_2963

I did a shoot tonight for a local band, and just pulled one picture out that caught my eye and did a real quick edit of it. It's been awhile, I forgot how fun promo shoots are.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

I'm shooting As I Lay Dying at the Chameleon Club on Saturday.

If they don't have the security barriers up, I am going to die young.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

For GWAR?

Bring a poncho, a hat you don't care about, and rainsleeves for your gear.

and really crappy shoes.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

pr0digal posted:

Also anybody know good venues in the DC are to check out?

What are you doing down in my neck of the woods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

Well, we pretty much have to shoot something together then. It would be a blast.