Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
As much as it fits Empire Of The Sun's music to a T, it's not really a great photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Alright, I'm looking to get my foot in the door for band photography; how would I go about doing so? Contacting venues or PR firms (I'm looking at starting local though, really)?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I've just put in my first application for a photo pass as a volunteer for a site; dunno if many people will recognize the name, but it's Urthboy. I'm hyped, even more so if I can get it as my first gig.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
A party was held for FasterLouder.com.au (they're pretty prominant as far as Australian music news sites go, I believe) and some local bands played, I was asked to do photos. This was my first ever concert shoot, and it was awesome.

Also got to really try out the range on my 7D; was using the 17-55 f/2.8, shooting at 5000ISO. The ones I've left in colour were 12800 ISO.

Click here for the full 734x900 image.

Click here for the full 600x900 image.

Click here for the full 900x600 image.

e: turns out I'm a Photoshop scrub and can't make my watermark colour in greyscale pictures :butt:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

Hahha, how many FL shooter are in here? I saw the email for the Sydney party but skipped on it as I had something else on that night.

It's always a gamble with FL, I sometimes don't bother buying tickets to certain gigs in the hope of getting a pass through the site but usually end up getting hosed over and missing out. It seems pretty competitive in Sydney anyway.

I only just joined, plus I'm in Brisbane which seems pretty relaxed. As far as photographers go, I think there's a good seven or eight just hanging around in Brisbane; there was myself and one other bloke at the 5th party.

Even though I managed to just get in, I've got myself passes to Shihad/Galvatrons later in the month, along with Karnivool. I'd love to figure out how to get myself onto a venue list rather than wait until the spreadsheet is updated every month and rush home from work trying to send out emails in vain; just two days ago I missed out on an opportunity to go behind the scenes of the Hungry Kids of Hungary's music video for FL, because I have no way to check my email until 5:30pm :(

e: Oh hey, Sydney's FL party got Philadelphia Grand Jury? Now I'm jealous.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Alrighty, I'm just waiting on my promoter confirmation for Lightning Bolt this Sunday...however, having only seen them live once before and not worrying about photos that time, I'm running myself around in circles because they never play on the stage; they set up on the floor and have the crowd around them. How in the hell am I going to shoot this?

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7BDZ7KyNRE&feature=PlayList&p=928ACF8F50FB6A9E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=14

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Rent a 10-22 or something?

I've got a 17-55 F/2.8, I'm not worried about lenses; I was worried more about the actual physical shooting. How the hell am I going to get any good photos in a crowd that close to the musicians? Taking my gear into the middle of a mosh pit never makes me feel at ease :(

I was thinking of ditching my 7D and going with my Panasonic LX-3, a nice compact camera with RAW capabilites/ f2.0 lens, if I can snag a front row spot, or trying to find a chair, stand on that, and hire a 70-200 F4 or something.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Lightning Bolt didn't go too badly at all, the venue didn't give a flying gently caress about flash so I used that. Ended up with the best picture I've taken, ever

Click here for the full 1500x1302 image.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

To be honest, it's the first gig I've shot with my 7D and I was experimenting to see how high I could push the ISO with lenses that aren't quite so fast.

My "standard" lenses for shooting bands are my Canon 50mm f/1.8 and Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, I thought I might be able to use my ultra wide Sigma by pushing the ISO up to 4000-6400, but obviously the light was a bit too poo poo for that.

I'll play around with the red channel tonight when I get home and post the results, but from my experiences in the past it just kind makes things a bit purple. Obviously I need to experiment more with it!

Using my 17-55 f/2.8 at 5000ISO results in awesome shots with hardly any grain; I did use a 70-200 f/4L to shoot The Primitive Calculators, this is what I got -

edit: I too am wondering whats the best way to reduce the red lighting effect that bands love to bits

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Shot Guttermouth on Sunday, hooooooooooly poo poo they're hard to get decent shots of. lovely lighting did not help. Nor did pissing myself laughing at them taking the absolute piss out of people in the pit.

It was a great concert; I did them Friday night in Brisbane. Result:

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/gallery/13355/Guttermouth.htm

I was rather pleased, shooting 5000ISO at 2.8. I was the only person without a 5D and an L series lens, it was my first real 'get between the security and stage with a press pass' shoot and I don't think I did too badly. Anyone got feedback?

Also the next night was where I laughed harder than Guttermouth:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

psylent posted:

The stage lights are usually just dim red/blue lights - so there's not a lot to think about there.

The 7D has a flash commander built in, it can trigger the other two flashes from the pop-up flash.

whoa what? I sell this camera (and own one) and I wasn't aware of this. Does it still require a 580EXII to be used as a master, or can it remotely trigger a 430EXII?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

evil_bunnY posted:

Precisely. Running from one stage to another with no time to actually enjoy the music at festivals is the worst poo poo ever.

I'm probably doing a festival later this month, but it's all reggae and it's all on one stage so I'm pretty happy :)

I've also just gotten notice I'm first in line for Porcupine Tree, The Beach Boys and The Pixies. I read the email with my mouth literally around my knees. So loving stoked right now.

e: I also may have just gotten first run at Phoenix. It's time to buy a 5D!

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 5, 2010

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
By promoters, do you mean the actual promoter, or band manager? Also, are press passes handed out to any old music blog?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

f/4 is awesome with higher ISOs and I don't care who knows it. That was 4000ISO on the 7D at f/4 in a lovely, low-light club at 55mm. gently caress da haterzzzz

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
poo poo, I just got what amounts to an NDA for the Them Crooked Vultures set I was hoping on. Check this out:

quote:

2. I hereby acknowledge that* you shall own all rights in the
Photos, including the copyrights therein and thereto, and accordingly, I
hereby grant, transfer, convey and assign to you all right, title and
interest throughout the universe in perpetuity, including, without
limitation, the copyright (and all renewals and extensions thereof), in and
to the Photos. I agree that you shall have the right to exploit all or a
part of the Photos in any and all media, now known or hereafter devised,
throughout the universe, in perpetuity, in all configurations as you
determine, without obtaining my consent and without any payment or
consideration therefor.* I understand that you will give me appropriate
"photo credit" where possible. I understand further that all aspects of
said "photo credit" shall be determined by you in your sole discretion and
that failure to accord said "photo credit" shall not be deemed a breach of
any obligation, express or implied. I further grant to you the right to
use my name, likeness and biographical data in connection with the
distribution, exhibition, advertising and exploitation of the Photos. I
will, upon request, execute, acknowledge and deliver to you such additional
documents as you may deem necessary to evidence and effectuate your rights
hereunder, and I hereby grant to you the right as attorney-in-fact to
execute, acknowledge, deliver and record in the U.S. Copyright Office or
elsewhere any and all such documents if I shall fail to execute same within
five (5) days after so requested by you

4. * **I hereby waive all rights of droit moral or "moral right of
authors" or any similar rights or principles of law which I may now have or
later have in the Photos. *I warrant and represent that I have the right
to execute this Certificate and that the Photos are and shall be new and
original with me and shall be capable of copyright protection throughout the
universe, that they do not and shall not violate or infringe upon any common
law or statutory right of any party, or constitute unfair competition and
are not now and shall not be the subject of any litigation. I shall
indemnify and hold you, and your employees, officers, agents, assignees and
licensees, harmless from and against any losses, costs, liabilities, claims,
damages or expenses arising out of any claim by a third party which is
inconsistent with any warranty or representation made by me in this
Certificate

I have no idea what to do. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, but on the other hand, this amounts to a bunch of bullshit.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

evil_bunnY posted:

That's not an NDA.

No, but it's the closest thing to hyperbole because 'contract' is too loving boring.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Did my first festival yesterday; a reggae festival called Raggamuffin. Lauryn Hill and Julian Marley know exactly how to let me take good photos.

Rented out a 5D Mark 2 and a 16-35 f/2.8, and took my 7D and my 70-200 f/4. I'd originally planned to use the wide angle on the 5D, but ended up using the 70-200 on it, and maaaaan. I want a full frame so much worse than before.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I used the 70-200 f4 IS last night to shoot a gig, and man, is it nowhere near fast enough. Even my 30mm 1.4 struggled at some points with 1600 ISO.

Am I mad for wanting to shoot my next gig on my Bronica medium format? Delta 3200 pushed to 6400 looks pretty decent.

What kind of gig was that? I'm using f4 pretty consistently with club, outdoor and amphitheatre gigs, no matter what the lens.

Also 5D lovin':

No post processing besides resizing. hnnnnnnngh

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Anyone shot Porcupine Tree before? I've heard they use a lot of background projections, dunno about the actual band members though. Hopefully the background isn't too busy :ohdear:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I love the 85mm 1.8.

(my host)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Already Bored posted:

Just spent the last week on tour with a music festival featuring the likes of Basement Jaxx, Busta Rhymes, Naughty by Nature, Salt-N-Pepa, Kid Cudi, The Gossip, Gym Class Heroes and a lot more. The first week was 16-18 hour days shooting, the second week was 16-18 hour days editing.

Our brief was to hang out backstage / on stage with the artists, documenting them and their performances as well as the random moments inbetween the festivals, at the social events and such. Basically creating a tour diary that lets people see the "behind the scenes" side of the festival.

If you have any questions about equipment, strategy, dealing with artists, etc. let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Hells yes Good Vibes. Looked like a great lineup, but I spent my day watching Janes Addiction and Faith No More, so I'm not too chuffed about missing it.

A question though; how the hell does one get work like this? Are you shooting for a publication, or for the promoters? What did you need to submit, and who?

And if by any chance you're in Brisbane/GC, need an assisstant?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Already Bored posted:

stuff

Australia, Paris and NYC...Hobo Gestapo? That's pretty cool if I'm right :)

Do you guys have anyone up in Brisbane at the moment? I'm looking at doing event photography, right now I'm shooting through FasterLouder, but I'd kill to do some more portraiture and such rather than just concerts.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Cyberbob posted:

Hey quick question, If I wanted to shoot for FasterLouder, who's a good person to contact, rather than just the info@fasterlouder address or similar.

cheers

Pretty much what Psylent said. Don't expect to jump in and start shooting the big names right away though; that's probably the biggest thing to realise. Start local, and do good prompt work and it'll help; I only started contributing in October last year. I treat it exactly like I would a paying job; be prompt and professional about it. I generally get galleries updated the same night, at latest the next day, and shoot heaps of local shows (did a run of 4 nights in a row, Phoenix, Calexico, Black Bear Woods and Spinnerette. Was trashed after that), and now I'm doing Bluesfest and I'm hoping to be in the running for Splendour, so I won't be slowing down.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

fenner posted:

Most venues don't allow flash :ohdear: that sounds like it would be hard to get the results I had in mind.

Ask the venue and ask the band to see if they don't mind you setting stuff up. I've used a flash a few times in a few venues, and while most of the bigger clubs and arenas get pissy, most smaller venues don't mind. Just clear it with everyone involved first.

I just received my 5D Mark 2, Tokina 11-16 and 70-200 F4 IS in prep for Bluesfest in a coupla weeks. Is it wrong that I like the heavy vignette and circular fisheye effect of the 11-16 on full frame and plan to use that with smaller shows because fisheye always seems too scene :ohdear:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Read about it, didn't realise that he was "that" guy when it came to band photos. RIP.

Just got my Bluesfest 2010 shooter accreditation. Five days, five stages; I have no idea how I'm gonna go.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I just got back from shooting my first proper festival (Byron Bay Bluesfest, 5 days and the weather alternates from 35 degrees celsius to 32 degrees celsius with rain) and it was pretty much like that the entire time. Shoulder to shoulder, 3 people deep, especially during the headliners. Thankfully though alot of people were quite helpful and didn't mind moving or ducking under your line of sight, except during Crowded House. That was horrible; roughly 30 photographers packed in to a pit that was much the same space as that pic below, and the stage was 7 feet high.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

It would be hilarious if someone took a Sigma 200-500 f/2.8 and shot a concert through the tent opening.

Pfft, who needs 2.8? Whack a 2x teleconverter on that sumbitch, shoot f/4 like every person should and shoot from the food tent.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

headshot24 posted:

That's the only range I thought I might need but I'm not all that worried about it.

Oh and to clarify the B800 is an Alien Bee, not an SB-800. I may stick it with the stage lighting :ssh:

If it's a large festival it'll probably be 3 songs, no flash, so forget about that unless you want to do socials. I just got back from Bluesfest, and I took two bodies; however, by the end of day 1 I was so loving tired of lugging around a backpack with 2 bodies, battery grips, a flash, my 70-200, 17-55, and 11-16 that for days 2 through 5 I downsized to the 5D Mark 2 w/grip and 70-200 lens, and a 430EXII and 11-16 in the bag just in case I felt like doing some social shots. YMMV though; the stages I was shooting on most of the time were mostly 7 feet tall.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

AtomicManiac posted:

I need some help getting photo-passes for "Big"er bands. So far I've fired off 5 emails and only gotten two responses (a yes and a "It's not our call, ask the bands") the rest haven't even given me a "Piss off" email. I've emailed PR, Management, Venues, Promoters and even the Band themselves, (Between The Buried and Me (who said yes), Paramore, Mastodon, Against Me! and the Promoter of some other shows who also own a venue) Am I just trying to bite off too much too soon with no portfolio/website to show off my work, or am I just going about it the wrong way? These shows aren't until may/june, so I have plenty of time to figure out a way to get in. I have a contact in the local paper (Their music guy), who also maintains a blog, but he's also a photographer, so he's usually grabbing up the photo-passes.

Any advice?

I really want these in my portfolio to give some "validity" to the whole thing. I just feel like I'd be more confident name dropping some big national bands. I've already shot a few regional and national bands (Skies Alive, Paria, Atavan, The JV Allstars), I think grabbing at least one big national touring band would be amazing.

An established portfolio (online and easy to access) will help you to no end. It's all well and good to want to shoot the biggest bands around, but it's unlikely that they need a relative nobody with no connections to any publications or established back catalog to shoot one of the hottest bands in their stable of artists.

Shoot local, get some great shots, then start approaching press; they'll start getting media passes for you, or at least give you the bigger credibility and backing to get a pass for it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
A different view of the Byron Bay Bluesfest. Full set here.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
This is an old one I missed on my first run of editing, can't believe I didn't grab it earlier:

e: it's Between The Buried And Me

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

AtomicManiac posted:

Nice! I'm shooting them in 2 weeks with Mastodon, it's my first "Big" shoot. Any advice?

Longer lens than 50mm. The lead singer loves to jump from the front of the stage to behind the keyboard, which when I shot them was about 5 meters back from the pit. My 70-200 arrived the next day :argh:

Also, i fucken love silhouettes

The Break (Midnight Oil/Violent Femmes supergroup that plays instrumental surf rock. yeah.)

Hoodoo Gurus

The Break

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I'm hoping to shoot Metallica this coming October, and by the sounds of it I'm going to need a 400mm lens because of their stupid stage setup :(

Wolfmother did a secret show in their (and my!) hometown Brisbane on Saturday night, to a crowd of 200 people with less than 24 hours notice. I managed to snag a shooters spot (only shooter besides the bands' shooter) and stood front row for 2 and a half hours while they played. It was free reign; flash allowed, AF assist beams, shoot as long as you want; no barriers and heaps of close range point and shoot cameras though, which made for a challenge. Great fun though, and good results.

The set is about half black and white, half colour, because my flash ran out of batteries about halfway through the show. I filled up two 8GB cards over the time as well, using a 5D Mark 2 with a 70-200 f/4 and a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8

caught someone elses p+s flash on this one, which made cool lookin' shadows an poo poo

full set with obligatory horrible socials here - http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/gallery/15948/Wolfmother.htm

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

AtomicManiac posted:

Anyone ever shoot AFI? I've been spinning my wheels and not getting anywhere on getting a photo-pass. So far all I can find is to email their manager Kristen Welsh, but I can't find an email for her.

Any help?

Try the publicity companies as well as managers; you'll generally have a lot more success emailing and finding the email of XY Touring than a band manager.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

AtomicManiac posted:

I think the green is a bit much too, though I'd agree that the framing is probably a bigger issue. I think the biggest issue is the venue, The lighting seems really poor, and it doesn't feel like a stage, more like the corner of a bar somewhere. My advice would be to invest in a cheap bounce flash. You can get some decent results in lovely lighting conditions like that:

I can name maybe 3 shows out of at least 100 that I've shot that will allow flash. If you use a flash in a photo pit, you're going to get your arse kicked by either a fellow photographer, a punter who caught it in the face, or the performer themselves (not literally, but by them pissing to their manager and putting you on their shitlist).

I take one around for crowd/social photos if the brief tells me to get some, but rarely use it during shows.

And hey, have some photos (excuse the logos, these are the copies I throw up on Myspace/Facebook fan page because I'm too lazy to go and resize the full size tiffs)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

dreggory posted:

Aw, thanks :3:

I've started working with a local promoter/booking agent, which I'm completely thrilled about. I'm lined up to shoot more shows in the next month than I have in the past 6. Between that, starting to land more wedding jobs, and my amazing roommate who can apparently talk his way into press passes left and right I'm having a loving blast.

Shooting Lightning Bolt in July (!!!). The venue is reaaallly dark anywhere that's not the stage, so I'm kind of wondering how that's going to work out. Anyone know if they still set up in the middle of the crowd and proceed to go nuts?

ooooh finally something I can offer advice on! Lightning Bolt were my first 'real' shoot that I did; yes, they will set up on the floor, and no you don't want to be in front of them. Seek out their stage manager, dude with glasses/shoulder length hair (or at least, that's who it was when I shot them); he gave me permission to climb on their speaker stacks. Results:

Definitely take a flash, one of the few shoots where they said it was cool.

Bonus -

Yes, this dude did get hit in the face with a drumstick. It's probably my fault because he noticed me taking photos and kept doing it. Godspeed random drunk dude :australia:
Also the expressions of everyone around him; and you can see my camera silhouette on the chick. Stage backlighting :argh:

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 30, 2010

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Festival lighting: so hot right now. I don't know what it is, but the 5D Mark 2 just seems to absolutely shine at festivals over indoor gigs. It's crazy.

British India

Grinspoon

The Cat Empire

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Bojanglesworth posted:

Great photos! What lens were those shot with out of curiosity?

70-200 F4, with IS. With the 5D Mark 2, it's unstoppable; I'd love to get the 70-200 F2.8, but the cost associated with the fact that I would never, ever shoot below F4 anyway (at the moment; waiting for wedding work in the future though) means I can't really justify it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I mainly use f/4 because the depth of field is better to work with. When I bought the 70-200f/4 along with my 5D, Tokina 11-16, 85 1.8 and assorted flashes/battery grips, the IS II version was a fair way away; the f/4 is just as sharp as the 2.8 series I at f/4, and having used the 17-55 f/2.8 for about 6 months prior in concert shooting, I just generally prefer shooting at f/4.

Sure, now the series 2 is out, it's a fair bit sharper at f/4; however, clocking in at 1.2kg as opposed to 600g when I'm running around festivals with a Macbook, two bodies with battery grips, two flashes, and 4 other lenses, I'm happy enough with the weight difference. Combined with the fact the people who I shoot for rarely need it at a high enough DPI or large enough resolution that shooting 2000-3200 ISO on a full frame never really bothers me or them, I'm happy with the way I operate.

e: i also never use lens hoods because IM SUCH A loving REBEL

e2: I'll probably get the 70-200 2.8 IS II when I start doing more weddings and it's 100% justified. Or when I get an assistant who can carry my poo poo for me :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
gently caress punk shows