Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

JohnnyC posted:

an inflationary measure that simply lets you justify charging an excessive fee

Have you also considered equipment upkeep, digital storage, delivery of the files, etc.? Considering you're in a band, you should really know that time isn't the only thing that costs money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Twenties Superstar posted:

I'm seriously wondering if you couldn't think of any reason other than equipment upkeep and just threw digital storage and delivery of files in as if they were anything even approaching a comparable expense.

Would you not charge for those? I'm just saying, they're all expenses, no matter how small or petty they'd seem.

edit: I'll also note that I'm not talking about listing those as line items on an invoice (with the exception of file delivery); they're just part of the cost-per-image if a client asks.

Hot Cops fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 29, 2009

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

psylent posted:

I'm shooting a friend's band tomorrow night in a venue with really lovely lighting. I've got permission to set up some lighting. I've got a 420EX and a 580exII that can be triggered remotely from my 7D.

I've got poles at both ends of the stage where I can attach my flashes, the roof it quite low as well. You can see my amazing diagram below:

Any suggestions on how I should set this up? I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to setting up my own lighting :(

How does the 7D trigger flashes? Is it the same as using a 580 as a master? Because then it would be pretty much line of sight... just something to consider.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

psylent posted:

The 7D has a flash commander built in, it can trigger the other two flashes from the pop-up flash.

yeah, I know, but I'm fairly certain that you're using an IR beam (someone correct me if I'm wrong) from the camera to pop the flash. Test it out by facing the flashes away from you and see if they go off.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
if you had told me that was James Franco I'd have believed it

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
Don't think I've posted in this thread yet... I haven't ever shot much live stuff except for dubstep or electro shows, but recently I was asked by a local arts and culture mag I freelance for to shoot a 12 week series on different shows going on in Calgary.

I'll post a few, and the whole set.

I'd love to hear some feedback! (Besides the fact that my watermark sucks)

Black Rabbit by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Sandman Viper Command by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Hollerado by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

edit:

Abnegatus posted:

Gravehill 1277 II by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gravehill 1029 I by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gravehill 0958 I by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gravehill 1158 crop I by Abnegātus, on Flickr

A Wizard posted:

gently caress, I'm jealous of these. I could totally see any of this stuff in that one section in Spin.

Hot Cops fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 13, 2011

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
Got to shoot some crazy, crazy awesome bands for a festival in town. Whole sets here, if anyone's interested.

Hunx and his Punx by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Man Man by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Man Man by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Dum Dum Girls by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

The Luyas by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Braids by tyecarsonphoto.com, on Flickr

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I like how intimate this one feels, what focal length was this shot at?

Thanks dude! It was a really lucky hail mary with my 35 1.4.

edit: nope, upon checking, I lied. This was with my 50.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

SwiftTheFox posted:

I saw them a few months ago in Baton Rouge, LA.

TheLuyas08 by SwiftTheFox, on Flickr

Awesome.

They're a great band to shoot - I fall in love with the singer every time and the lightbulb thingy they do is pretty cool, too.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

psylent posted:

Posted a similar shot in SAD, but thought I'd throw one in here too:

It's my first attempt at this sort of thing and I've still got a bunch more to get work my way through, but I like this one.

It feels a bit under to me... boost the exposure a bit and you have a shot like 80% of what Spin runs.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Evilkiksass posted:

Edit: To clarify, I don't shoot for the musicians, I shoot for event promoters.

Yep.

I get paid gigs to shoot from commercial clients - tourism and also event vendors/promoters that need exclusive licences for shots of shows/venues. You usually get a lot better access when you're shooting for the companies holding or sponsoring events, too - for the most part I'm only limited by the bands themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Gr31lly posted:

Like everyone else I'm sure, I love nothing more than smoke machines in poorly lit venues when flash is not allowed! All at ISO1600, through smoke.

Incipit by falamhachd, on Flickr

Krig by falamhachd, on Flickr

The rite of Infernal Invocation by falamhachd, on Flickr

These look kickass, dude. I think they would be less interesting without the smoke.