Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
The show's I shoot are mainly smaller (local) shows. I've done promo shots once and it was sort of a last minute thing. Some examples are below (not recent, I haven't uploaded those ones yet). I might be shooting a show tomorrow in a Newbury Comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Haggins posted:

What method are you using to get 2nd curtain on your Xti? It's something I'd like to do too but I'm screwed until I get a TTL flash or some special pocketwizard.

You should be able to do it with the onboard flash, its under one of the custom function menus...I forget the exact one.

Also, I am not using second curtain. Second curtain causes the flash to fire twice, I use first curtain sync

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
My most recent concert shoot: battle of the bands in Franklin, MA. The lighting was poo poo, so it was flash + slow shutter speed. I got some decent shots, not a whole ton though. One of my favorite shots of the night is below. What was annoying was they turned the overhead lights off but kept the lights behind the bands on so they were heavily backlit which was hell for me.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Quick question for any boston based music photographers or really any large outdoor music photographers. I've posted some of my shots in this thread before but they are mainly local shows. I got a photo pass for the WNFX/Boston Phoenix Best Music Poll at Boston City Plaza because one of my favorite bands (The Gaslight Anthem) is playing. Now my question is this: what lens should I rent. I know that for shows like Warped Tour a wide and fast lens is good if you are in the photo pit. I have a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 but I think that is too wide and too slow. I was thinking of renting a 16-35L MKII (it's like 100 bucks for a week). Any other suggestions?

Of course I'll bring along my 10-20 and 24-70 as I have no idea what the stage conditions will be like. I'm also bringing along my flash. This is my first legitmate show so i'm a bit nervous.

*edit* I shoot on an XTi w/ battery grip. I would love a 5D MKII though

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 22, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

A couple things.

1. Don't expect to be able to use that flash your bringing. Most shows, well most that require a photo pass have a strict no flash policy. And they mean it. The four words you will hear the most if you become a concert photographer is "Three songs, no flash." That being said, bring it with you just in case.

2. For most outdoor shows, lens speed isn't a big issue. I typically shoot most outdoor stuff around f4, so don't focus on needing a super wide aperture. It's outdoors, there is light. If the show does go late, typically the lighting at those type of venues is pretty solid too, so even then you probably won't need f2.8. That's not to say you shouldn't go that route.

3. If you have a 10-20 and a 24-70, why would you rent a lens that is pretty much covered by what you already have? If you're set on renting an extra lens, I'd rent a 70-200. Never underestimate a good drummer photo. They are harder to get and not a lot of people take the time to shoot the drummers.

Realistically speaking, your 24-70 is probably what I'd say to use the most. It covers a good gamut of focal length for concert shots. I tend to use my primes for concerts more than anything, but that's mostly at indoor shows where I like the fast glass. My two most used lenses for any show are my sigma 20mm f1.8 and my canon 50mm f1.8 The 20mm is wide enough to get some close to head to toe shots and gives a cool perspective if I want to get right up next to them as well. It's easily cropped in for a slightly tighter shot too. And the 50mm is great for shots of the singer or some side angle shots of the other members.

Enjoy the show. Outdoor shows can be fun, but they can also lead to some really lackluster photos if you don't put some effort into it. A nice expsosure and cool lighting can save an indoor shot, but that same shot in natural light could be extremely sleep inducing. My biggest tip is to use your angles and focus on expression.

Thanks for the advice! It's a Sigma 24-70 that is rather soft so I might rent the Canon 24-70 instead of the 16-35 so I can get a bit more range in my shots. I'm just wondering if wider is going to be better because of how high the stage is going to be, location of photo pit, etc.

I already have the 50mm 1.8 which I will bring along but I want to reduce switching lenses as much as possible.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

It's soft even at f4? I have the 24-60 and it's plenty sharp at f4, it's only a little soft at 2.8, but still not awful.

Also wide lenses tend to be worse for tall stages, it makes the stage seem even taller and bigger. Oh and the best tip for changing lenses is do it during song changes. As soon as a song ends, that's when I swap lenses.

I need to do some more tests with it, it seems to be soft no matter what I do with it. I probably got a lovely copy. What I'll end up doing is renting the 16-35 (and if I really feel up to it the 24-70 as well) and doing what you said: shoot one song with the wide lens and then switch it up during the song change.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm rather thankful in this situation that I'm still new at this that I am not shooting for a newspaper or a magazine because I would hate to completely gently caress it up and make a fool out of myself.

I want to shoot warped tour but I wasn't able to make it this year. I'm trying to get a photo pass for a show on Saturday but I keep running into dead ends. The venue told me to talk to the bands, so I did. The one band that got back to me would love me to shoot for them, but they don't have a guest list so I shot an e-mail back to the venue and have received nothing back.

Making the leap from local shows to bigger venues is a rather big one.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Check on the web to see if there are any local music blogs or zines that need photogs. Believe it or not, I see a lot of blog photographers in pits.

With the way that traditional print media is shifting to online-only, the distinction between news media and blogs is becoming very, very blurry.

I never really thought of that...I'll dig around the web for some that operate in my area and see if I can't do some freelance work!

Thanks!

*edit* I have both a domain name and a blog, though I haven't really updated the blog in some time though.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 22, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
As I posted earlier I have been given a chance to shoot the WNFX/Boston Phoenix Best Music Poll tomorrow afternoon/evening. My XTi decided to break, but thankfully my neighbor was kind enough to lend me her 20D. The lens that I ended up renting (the 16-35L f/2.8 II) came in today and holy poo poo that thing is loving sweet. Even on a crop body it is still pretty drat wide.

I just need to figure out how to pick up my photo pass tomorrow. First real show here I come...

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

Most shows you just go to will call and show them your ID. If that's not that case, they should be able to direct you to where you need to be, sometimes there is a separate media gate or desk you have to go to.

It's a free show so there isn't a box office, but I am planning on getting there wicked early (with the printed out e-mail) to find my photo pass. I am wicked loving nervous. I've never really shot a major show before but I've got a fair amount of local show experience under my belt so I should be okay.

If I get any decent shots I'll post them up (and maybe try to sell some to magazines/newspapers etc).

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

Boy, you were kidding about being in Boston.

Most newspapers don't really run many concert photos and if they do they send someone to shoot it. Magazines you might have more luck with, but for the most part, it's pretty tough to sell normal concert photos. Most of the time it's for ad usage, or they have a contributing photographer list that they email to request shots. This is the deal I have with Alternative Press at least.

Yeah, I'm a Boston Area goon through and through. It's great I got two messages from the Boston Phoenix one telling me better luck next year and the other one telling me where I can go pick up my pass. Both within a minute of each other.

I'm going to see if the outcome is decent before I start contacting bands and magazines.

*edit* to any boston area goons thinking of going the lineup is: Ra Ra Riot, The Bravery, The Gaslight Anthem, Airborne Toxic Event, Metric and Passion Pit just not in that order. If I get some decent photos of Gaslight Anthem I will be wicked happy. Also, anybody have advice on metering? I know partial is for strongly backlit subjects so I can just switch on the fly if necessary.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 1, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Heres some from a show a while ago, where I got nervous when everyone had a DSLR and a huge flash in the crowd. I didn't think they were any good, but I gave them another chance tonight. What do you guys think?

While some might bitch about the mic eating, I thoroughly enjoy this image. A great capture that some of those people with big honking flashes might have missed.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
The show I just shot (Best Music Poll 2009) had some of the most godawful restrictions I have ever heard of...mostly thanks to the city of Boston. As far as the city was concerned if you weren't a newspaper photographer or worked with the radio station putting the concert on you had no right to be there at all.

I, in fact, did have a right to be there as I had been reserved the mythical "photo pass" by one of the bands. Of course this meant that I only got to shoot that one band (Gaslight Anthem) and "I had better not see you around the press area even though you have a press pass" mentality.

So I waited around until 7:30 when the band I was shooting for went on, took photos for my three songs, then shot the poo poo with the other photographers who were also wondering why everything was so goddamn restrictive.

Then figuring since I have two passes that mark me as press and all access I'll shoot the next band as a well! No such luck there. One song in and I was unceremoniously booted because I didn't shoot for a newspaper.

Mah well at least I got shots of the band I came to see (and met the lead singer!)

*edit* and all the photographers had to crouch down and shoot upwards with all the monitors in the way, it was a fun time.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 2, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Here's a few from the show, I'll start off with The Gaslight Anthem
*side note* gently caress mic stands and monitors

And probably the one decent shot I got of Airborne Toxic Event

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AtomicManiac posted:

Some good shots there. How was Gaslight Anthem live? I loved their new(est) album, and they're coming here next month, but I don't think I could get a press-pass and I don't think I'd really try without a DSLR.

As soon as you can buy tickets, do it. They are one of my favorite bands at the moment and they put on a drat good show. I am going to defiantly see them when they come to boston next and try to get a photo pass...hopefully this time without all the godforsaken restrictions.

From The Boston Phoenix:

"Biggest mosh pit of Best Music Poll 2009? That's easy: the Gaslight Anthem's set, which had worried punks milling around City Hall four hours before showtime, like they were gonna miss a parole hearing."

Source with some photos (taken by the "official" photographers): http://thephoenix.com/Boston/Music/87417-Photos-Gaslight-Anthem-at-Best-Music-Poll-2009/#TOPCONTENT

*edit number 2* I was thinking about e-mail Alternative Press regarding the photos I took to see if they would be interested in some of them for their archive/website, though I am not completely sure how to do this. Rockcity, I know you said (I think) you have some experience with AP, care to help a starting music photographer out?

As far as upcoming shows I might be shooting Unearth/Age of End in Haverhill, MA at Anchors Up. I know the brother of the lead singer of Age of End who asked me to come shoot the show.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 3, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

variegated posted:

I used to work for the Phoenix and they are notoriously lovely towards anyone who isn't on their staff. Too bad BCN is gone, as FNX is now the only game in town.

Or you could just come out here to Worcester--it's GREAT to shoot at w/the Palladium, Ralph's, Lucky Dog, etc.

I go to school in Fitchburg so I am planning on keeping an eye on the shows at the Palladium. I was trying to get a pass for Worcester Fest but I heard nothing back from any of the bands I contacted.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

How exactly are you contacting them? You're probably not going to the right people. I rarely don't hear back when I request a photo pass.

For Four Year Strong and Set Your Goals I e-mailed who I thought was their manager or press contact and I heard nothing back. For the local band I e-mailed them directly and had an immediate response...saying they didn't have a guest list.

Should I be calling instead of e-mailing? Or when e-mailing who should I e-mail?

From what I heard from some other photographers it was immensely hard to get a pass for the show, unless you were the Return to the Pit guy (incidentally I met his wife at Best Music Poll, she shoots for the Boston Phoenix).

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

Stick with emailing. Typically who you want to email is the band's publicist at the record label. That's usually the best person to talk to about getting photo passes. Sometimes they give the PR work to a third party company also, there's a few pretty big ones and a lot of small ones. MSO PR for example is one of the bigger ones. They handle Warped Tour, Ozzfest, lots of other big ticket shows and tours. Most of the PR reps for labels and firms are actually really nice and pretty lenient when it comes to approving people, but every now and then you find someone who is just a total dick.

The return to the pit guy was a douche when I met him a couple years ago in Worcester. Actually a lot of the bigger concert photographers you'll meet are generally really arrogant and really overrated in my opinion. Jeremy Saffer is probably the best example I can give of that. His he two styles of promo shooting (on location, parking lot style shot and a backdrop studio shot) that is it. His live stuff is also really boring, especially outdoors, his outdoor festival shots are horrible. And to top it off he has a book coming out. There are a dozen photographers who are barely out of high school who can already shoot circles around the guy both live and posed.

Thankfully I have an in with the band that is playing with Unearth so I should be able to get stage access without much issue...aside from probably getting bitched at by the return to the pit guy. In stark contrast his wife seemed pretty nice and I had actually run into her before at warped tour a couple years ago. I was in the crowd and not shooting but I noticed a photographer with two 5Ds but one had a Nikon strap.

Then at BMP I'm talking to the other photographers (all really nice) and I notice that she has the exact same setup so I mention that I was at Warped Tour when the guy in the bunny suit was crowd surfing and she confirmed that she was at that stage and photographed the bunny suit dude.

Small world.

The other camera forum I'm on (POTN) is full of those arrogant concert photographers. The one's that disdain small time shows and light trails. You post a processed photo or something with slow-sync they will poo poo all over it saying it "ruins the picture". Guess what jackasses: not all of us have L series lenses with cameras with high ISO capabilities. Some of us actually LIKE shooting smaller shows.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I guess I'm just not used to shooting major shows. I'm used to small shows with really lovely lighting. I usually shoot slow-sync + wide angle but i'm trying to branch out the style I shoot.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I need to post some more (recent) stuff up on my flickr. But you are right I need to work on composition/framing/etc for my next concert instead of just taking shots over my head.

I have ended up with some cool shots that way, but my keeper rate isn't very high. I guess with the music scene the way it is in my area there aren't much in the way of show photographers so I've rather (badly) filled a niche that hasn't been filled (or at least that's the way it seems with every single show i've been too).

I suppose I need to reevaluate the way I shoot shows. I really look up to my cousin in terms of show photography so I'll see what he has to say in regards as to what to do.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Really, a lot of it comes down to grinding it out and getting experience. The more you shoot, the more comfortable and familiar you'll be with it. To be honest, what really gave me a kick in the butt photographically was shooting on film. After that my keeper rate soared, overall photo quality improved and I learned to adapt and apply post processing techniques that I learned from doing black and white to my digital colour photos.

The more experienced you get, the more you'll be able to pick out problems like microphone stands, stage lights directly behind the performer, odd shadows, etc. and learn how to either avoid them, minimise them or use them to your advantage and do it all on the fly.

Even to this day, there are still shows where I go out and try something different and it turns out to be a horrible car wreck, but it's okay because I (hopefully) learned something. The key is to not do your learning on a client's dime.

I have a film camera (two actually) but I find that I am not using them as much as I should. I am toying with the idea of getting some wicked high speed film (1600 or 3200) slapping on my 50 f/1.8 and going to shoot a show.

As far as wide angle I have the sigma 10-20 and I love the drat thing. It's a bit slow and doesn't work well on FF but it's a pretty good lens

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

You don't need fast film. Use 400 film and run it at 1600 or 3200.

When you say run do you mean set the camera's ISO at 1600 or 3200 or push it to 1600/3200 in development?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Twenties Superstar posted:

both ideally

(Though just because you can push HP5+ to 3200 doesn't mean fast rated films are obsolete)

e: (or even that you should)

Goddamnit I am such a film noob :(

I do want to try to shoot a show with the Konica rangefinder I found in my house...

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
How is it that both times that I am shooting a semi-well known band I always run into some interesting issues? I just got the following from my contact for the show on the 22nd.

"Hey dude so there is apperently one stipulation to taking pics of unearth. They wanna have free access to the photos to use for any promotional use. Is that cool with you? Definately a great way to pat your resume."

I mean I wouldn't mind as long as I got some credit for the photos I am taking and still hold fully copyright over the photos and license them for promotional use. It is a good way to get my name out there...

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Haha. Photo credits are always the first thing to get dumped by the wayside. Have you ever seen a photo credit on a poster or press kit? "We'll make sure you get credit" is the concert photographer equivalent of "The cheque is in the mail".

"Hey my photo is on that unearth poster!"
"Really? Prove it?"
"They said they would put credit on the...:eng99:"

*edit* while some people may think it's a bad idea, I'm going to do it as it would be a way to break into the whole "industry" because word does have a way of getting around...assuming that my photos don't come out like total crap that is.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

To be honest, I don't put a whole lot of emphasis on marketing my concert shots. I use them more as a way to drum up promo work. There are just way too many photographers in this town taking photos at shows.

I don't put a whole ton of emphasis on marketing my shots either, as far as I'm concerned I'm just another photographer at the show (in general). At BMP, everybody and their mother had a loving DSLR. The thing is here that in order to be allowed to shoot Unearth (and hopefully only them) I have to agree to this...interesting stipulation.

Ah gently caress it, experience is experience.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 5, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

That's weird, I've shot unearth a good 10 times by now and have never had to give them that kind of permission. I wonder who you're talking to. I used to know their PR rep really well, but he just left that company a few months back or I'd shoot you his email.

I am going a much different route. I know the brother of the guitarist of the band playing with them. I was asked to come take photos at the show, I accepted and then was given this stipulation via the brother whose sibling had talked to the Unearth guys.

It's not exactly a big well known venue so maybe that's it?

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 5, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm going to post this here first (as it pertains to band photos) before I post it in the photo business thread as I am a bit wary. Totally out of the blue today I receive the following e-mail:

quote:

"Hi,

I was wondering if you could provide some information regarding your services. I am part of a record label called Static Eye Records. Currently, we have a band that we needs live shots as well as candids for their album. The aesthetics (style and location) would be worked out with the band.

Usage rights are a concern to us. Ideally, we would like to have ownership rights to the photos, as we will be using them for albums/cd packaging, company web site, press kits, [sic]mand merch, and other forms of advertising down the line.

Any information you can provide will be very helpful."

I am pretty wary at the moment because while this person does exist (I googled her) I have never a) heard of the label (not a huge surprise) and nothing turned up via google or a myspace search.

The second thing that makes me very uneasy is the following line: Usage rights are a concern to us. Ideally, we would like to have ownership rights to the photos,. I know from doing some promo shots before that I hold ownership and copyright rights and I license them to use the photos for <xyz>.

Now price: I am totally mystified by price here. The last promo shoot I had I charged 30 because it was a local band that wasn't going to use the photos for anything by myspace (and they broke up shortly afterwards). For what she is asking: holy poo poo. Full editorial and merch use of my photos in both print and web media. This is probably the biggest loving thing I have been asked to do.

This overshadows the whole Unearth thing because I might have a chance to make money off this one (assuming it is legit and pans out). I apologize for the block of text, but what advice do you guys have? Especially those who have done promo shoots before.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 6, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

So two shoots plus ownership rights? I would probably ask at least $500-$1000. It's a lot easier to negotiate down than up. You're looking at the better part of a day for shooting and then however long for post-processing. You're basically doing the band version of a wedding shoot.

I e-mailed her back to see if I couldn't get more information from her, most importantly where she heard of me from. I haven't really done all that many shoots, though I guess word does travel around.

Holy hell I'm loving nervous :ohdear:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Guys,

Thanks for all the input. I am probably going to accept the offer but I need to hammer out the details and I will defiantly be using your suggestions to draft up a document/contract. I'll post back once I get the ball rolling a bit more.

Thanks for all your help

For reference here are some shots from the last (and only other) promo shoot I have done.

I think I might buy a softbox as I already have flash triggers so I can use off camera lighting.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Your creativity is good, but the exposure is off. The musicians are all unidentifiable white blotches in the first and sort of unidentifiable in the second. Unless this is a reincarnation of the Average White Band, you might want to work on recovering highlights in those photos. I do like the way the shadows frame the first one.

Those were taken a year and a half ago for a now defunct band. I was using them as examples for what I have done. I processed them pretty badly =/. I am beginning to think that the e-mail might not have been directed to me but more as a mass blanket e-mail to a bunch of photographers seeing who responds with the best offer.

*edit* I think I'll go back into Lightroom and re-process those

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 7, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

AtomicManiac posted:

Here's my advice: I'm sure you have a "day-job", figure out what you make an hour, and charge them that + expenses + a premium for full ownership. Anything above that will probably scare them away and put you on the "Do not call" list, not "Let's make a deal" list. For a 3-hour promo shoot, and a 1 hour set (probably way less) anything above $200 is robbery. I don't see how you guys can justify your costs here, it simply boggles my mind. $50 an hour is insane for this type of work, and you must keep in mind the average band is not going to go "Oh yeah, well this guy will do this and this, etc" the average band is going to say "gently caress that, doesn't Bill have a camera? Let's just call Bill and give him some beer or something".

I have a day job as an Intern at a speech recognition company where I make 15 bucks an hour but I also do freelance video work and I have been offered 40 bucks an hour (offered, not asked) to edit footage.

The label/band/whatever wants full ownership of my photos meaning I no longer hold the copyright, which I find to be rather shady and not something I would easily agree to. If they don't like what I quote them (I am liking the 300 a session for 3 hour session + 3 hours editing at 50 an hour more than the one lump sum idea) then they can a) talk me down a bit or b) go find somebody else.

If I remember correctly this "highway robbery" argument has already been made in this thread.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
An update on the Unearth show on the 22nd (rockcity you are going to love this).

I just got this message back from my contact after telling him that I would send the band web sized pictures for their myspace/website:

quote:

Oh well sorry man they want free access or bust no worries though

-Dave

Seriously? What the gently caress?

and some more hosed up reasoning

quote:

The reason they want full access for free is because they are working on a DVD to be released world wide

I'm not annoyed at my friend or his brother's band but Unearth is pulling some weird poo poo. Pictures to be used for a world wide DVD release given to you for free?

gently caress that

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

HPL posted:

Yeah, walk away unless your childhood dream has been to do a concert shoot of Unearth. You'll be putting in several hours of labour for nothing, not even a case of beer or whatever.

There will be other opportunities along the line.

Seriously, hook up with a local publication, whether print or online. That'll help you cut through a lot of the BS and you'll actually get your stuff published and credited properly.

I think I will be doing just that. Time to do some rooting around for local music mags/zines/blogs/websites that are looking for somebody to shoot a few shows every once in a while.

My jaw pretty much dropped in astonishment when I read the latest message. I've deal with some bands that are pretty much douchbags in more ways than one but this takes the loving cake.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
While I have not heard anything back from the "label" I do have a question regarding lighting. I was looking into buying a softbox and I am torn between the smaller (but easier to set up) Ezybox and the larger Westcott Apollo.

I have a single flash (430EX) and no lightstands. So realistically I would need to get some lightstands and adapters before I buy a softbox.

Suggestions?

[e]: So I got an update from the e-mail I posted earlier about the shoot the label wanted me to do. Now it is seeming more legit. I got some information about the band:

"They've got a gritty "garage band" [sic]aethetic. They love black and white photos, but we'd like some color photos done as well. They're almost done recording the last few tracks of their album so we'd need pictures done as soon as it's possible. In all, we're thinking of getting at least 25 pictures done."

Since this is a promo shoot I will have to light it decently well so I need to do some quick research on softboxes as I mentioned earlier in the post. I have looked at the Westcott Apollo 28inch, the Ezybox and the much cheaper alternative: http://www.adorama.com/PFLDXSWK2.html. However, I am thinking that I might have to spend a bit more (the Westcott) is at the top of my list in order to come out with a more polished product that very well might net me more jobs.

I can get the Westcott, a hotshoe adapter (which actually doesn't work with my triggers (CTR-301Ps) I need the "screw" adapter for the lightstands because or I could get a screw in to hotshoe adapter) and a lightstand at Amazon for 173 which I would make back assuming I get the job. While some may think the Westcott is not the best idea the results I have seen from it and the price at which I can get the kit sell it for me.

Links: http://flashzebra.com/brackets/0041.shtml <---Umbrella adapter via Flash Zebra
http://www.amazon.com/Photoflex-Shoe-Mount-Multiclamp/dp/B00009UT18/ref=pd_sim_p_7 <---"Shoe mount multi-clamp"
http://www.amazon.com/Westcott-Apollo-Light-Modifier-Recessed/dp/B00022KOWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249932902&sr=8-1 <---the softbox I am leaning towards (around 173 with the light stand and shoe mount multi-clamp)

The bottom of my triggers

Advice goons, advice!

*edit number 2* So in spreading the word about Unearth's bullshit regarding photo access I got reprimanded a bit.

quote:

it sucks that they are asking for that, but let's be honest here...you were offered a photo pass to shoot an opening band, and not the headliner.

since you have nothing to offer to the band (ie, you are not on assignment from a media outlet), i guess they feel like they should be getting something in return.

What the gently caress do people have against freelance photographers? It seems that every time I even try to get a pass for a show I get snubbed because I don't have "anything to offer the band". I can see why some of you guys prefer local shows over the major arena shows.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 11, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

thehustler posted:

Does anyone have any tips or advice for if I want to shoot a concert with no barriers or photo pit?

I'm going to see 65daysofstatic at the famous Manchester Academy (specifically, the number 2 venue) and it'll be packed. There's no barrier, you're up right against the stage. I won't be able to do much moving around at all. I'm conscious of the fact that I might need to get a good spot and stay there and hope for the best, but I'm also worried about my kit etc.

I could maybe stand back and try and get some decent zoomed shots, but then I'm not going to be able to enjoy the music as much.

I suppose I have to decide whether I'm there for the music or the photos :(

Edit:

http://www.aidan.co.uk/md/MusFaustMan7511.jpg

See? No barrier at all. There doesn't look to be that many people there, and there are a few people with SLRs, but when it's packed, it's REALLY packed.

Get there wicked early and if you want to shoot the show pick a spot and defend that spot to the death. Most people are respectful of your equipment, though there can be some massive dicks. Just be careful.

*edit* What interrupting moss said

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

I can't recommend ear plugs enough. I was dumb when I first started and didn't wear them and my hearing has absolutely degraded. I won't go to a show without them now.

I HIGHLY recommend these. They're not all that expensive, they're re-useable, comfortable, and have no sound quality loss.

Ear Love

Welcome to concert photography dude. Hell, welcome to the real world. You don't get anywhere by doing it for free. You know how we give advice about how you shouldn't short change yourself as a photographer? Well there are people on there end telling them no to do the same thing. They're a band, but they're also a business. They're not doing things for free just like you aren't. They want something in return, this makes sense to me. You're not giving them publicity, so they want use of your photos. While I can't say that they're not aiming high with full use for promotional purposes, I will say that I completely understand where they're coming from.

Also there really aren't many "freelance" concert photographers out there. The people who do freelance their work still shoot for some form of outlet, could be something as little as a photo blog, but it's something and people see it. There really aren't people out there who shoot shows to either sell photos or just for fun.

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I see where you are coming from.

I really need to find a zine/website/magazine/newspaper to shoot for.

I have my own site and blog, it's just not that well known =/

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 17, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Been a while since I posted here; might as well throw up a few shots. Last month there was a local music night. The crowd wasn't that big but they really got into it.

Edit: the two bands are Nemes (http://www.myspace.com/nemes) and Fairview (http://www.myspace.com/itsafairview)

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 5, 2009

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm doing a promo shoot this weekend for the local band Semester Abroad (http://www.myspace.com/semesterabroadma) on the roof of one of their friends apartments in Boston. It will be early in the evening (5is) so it will be pretty dark outside but I'll have ambient from the city. They want them in front of the city on the roof.

Thankfully I have a 430EX and a Westcott Apollo Softbox so with any luck lighting shouldn't be too much of an issue for me. Focusing might so I think I will bring along some work lights to light them so I can focus (or somebody with a flashlight). I'm pretty nervous, I haven't really done any promo shoots before (mostly live stuff) and they (and me of course) really want these to come out great.

I'll post some results after the shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Got the promo shoot done. There were a few shots that the band liked after I sent them some quick edits. The one they liked the most is below. It's a quick edit on an uncalibrated monitor so I still have work to do on it (such as switching my monitor over to sRGB and doing the final edit). I also need to work on the guy on the right.