Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Well, I shot my first show this last week at the glass house, and really am still not that sure what I am doing. Lighting was just terrible, filled with reds (and at one point this vomitous yellow light). Stage was actually very bland for the non-headlining bands, but I shot with what I had.

Three pics I tried to do some post processing, which can be found here, but really I'm kind of just fiddling with buttons at this point. There are only three pictures, but I included some of the stuff I did in post. God I am hating post.

I'm honestly not too sure if my camera settings were correct.
I was switching between Av and Tv (focusing on 2.8 and 1/125 respectively) when I needed to, let the camera control the ISO up to 3200, and just tried to get some decent compositions from where I was located (far right of the stage). The metering was set to evaluative, just because I didn't feel all that comfortable switching to spot and royally screwing up everything.

I would really appreciate any advice (on the pictures I have uploaded that is).

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I read that piece about six times prior before shooting the concert. Did you have any advice on what to fix based on the pictures I posted though? I would really appreciate that.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Alright, I was messing around with a few pictures in my overflowing reject pile and decided to try to salvage some because, well, why not.

3 Inches of Blood by Abnegātus, on Flickr

3 Inches of Blood 175 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

The empty space in them really throws me, and although I like the poses, the whole lack of a background (or anything else in the picture besides the subject) really seems to mute the energy. I didn't edit out the backgrounds or anything, the show was just pitch black, and what wasn't black was illuminated by red light. The few people who have seen these said they were great - but to be frank I would rather have the opinions of people who are more adapt than I at concert photography give me an opinion on these two.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Alright, I'm going to be shooting a few bands on the 20th (Heathen, Destroyer 666, etc.) and I was hoping for some advice.

I've only shot one show before hand, and out of 250/300ish pictures I salvaged 5. Yes, salvaged - I didn't particularly think any were really good. Anyway, that night I switched between aperture and shutter priority modes (trying to figure out if I could get more depth of field vs a sure and steady ability to be able to capture or drag motion); ultimately I focused on shutter priority and tried my best. Auto ISO set up to 3200, and I ended up doing evaluative metering because I could not for the life of me now destroy the exposure of a picture with spot metering. To be safe, I underexposed every picture by 1ev and then fixed what was needed in CS5 (this actually seemed to work really well).

Honestly though, I really don't want to repeat my previous mistakes. So here are some probably REALLY stupid questions.
When using spot metering, everything I've read has said essentially aim for the head of who you are shooting to set exposure, and then recompose. Now here is the part I've gotten confused on (internet can be full of misinformation after all): If I center the exposure on the musicians head, then the camera is internally thinking that this areas exposure will be equivalent to an 18% gray card, and this is why bright lights behind a musician can be blown out of proportion.

Also, should I always expose for the face? Or should I spot meter the brightest thing in the scene? I was fiddling around and noticed that my camera really liked to jump between perfectly exposing the subject/blowing out highlights or underexposing everything.

Should I purposefully underexpose my shots with spot metering? I ask because everything I have read/shot so far goes on and on about blown highlights, and underexposing under my previous settings was a sort of like a safety net during my first show because nothing was over-exposed/no detail was lost.

Should I forgo the Av & Tv modes and focus solely on manual? The only problem I've had with my T2i is adjusting aperture in manual. I know I probably forgot a button somewhere but it's irking me. More than likely though I'm probably going to have to keep it at 2.8 anyway, but beingable to switch on the fly is a good piece of knowledge to have.

AI servo mode combined with a AF/AE Lock reversal (back button focus, shutter used for exposure locking); good or bad idea?
Also, the T2i would display a star for exposure lock with its original orientation set, but with this I don't get a heads up display; I'm wondering if this is why I was getting funky results between overexposed light sources or completely underexposed pictures.

6. How do you guys protect your gear at shows where people thrashing is the norm?

7. Should I actually use the auto ISO feature? I know my camera has a tendency to jump high (in low light, if I put the max as 3200 it will measure between 2200+-3200). Would it be better to stick with a set ISO, like 1600?

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 5, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

RizieN posted:

You can do this on Nikons, set the Auto ISO range, the minimum and maximum.

Well, with the T2i you can set a max limit; I could for example set the maximum as 3200; from there it will alternate between ISO 100 all the way to 3200. However, I don't think I can set a minimum. Plus the camera likes to be more safe than sorry, and will take a shot at ISO2200 when it could have done it at ISO1600. So that sucks.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

In this case won't you be re-exposing with your spot sensor whenever you recompose and shoot?

I don't think so. If it locks exposure at a half-press then all I have to do is fully press the shutter and it should be fine. Plus my focus would be a separate button, so the shutter button is now just used for exposure and, well, the shutter. If I need to refocus I just hammer that back button.

I really would like the ability to play around with aperture, because there may be instances where I really want multiple members at different distances to be in focus, but ultimately I bet that won't happen. I also may not be fast enough to switch up my settings when I need to, so if that ends up being true and I royally gently caress up Manual I can just switch back to Tv or Av.

So for spot metering should I always just expose on the face? Or should I actively seek out something that would equate to 18% grey and recompose from there?

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 5, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I love the slick gradient in the second picture, and that last one has got some gorgeous color in it. Good job!

Here are some shots I took at the Deception/Gravehill/Warbeast/Heathen/Destruction show on the 20th (if they're too big shoot me a pm and i'll shrink them down to the medium format).

Gravehill 1277 II by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gravehill 1029 I by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gravehill 0958 I by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gravehill 1158 crop I by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 24, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Hot Cops posted:

edit:

gently caress, I'm jealous of these. I could totally see any of this stuff in that one section in Spin.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Does anyone have any advice for scoring photo-passes to shows? I've tried getting unpaid wortk with a few webzines in southern California, but nothing has come from it. Every time I call a venue they put me into the "you can contact the band manager here at xxx-xxx-xxxx" and, of course, I can never get a pass unless I work for a place.

SwiftTheFox posted:

I saw them a few months ago in Baton Rouge, LA.

TheLuyas08 by SwiftTheFox, on Flickr

What on earth is that instrument!?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Will definitely look into what you said, thanks for the advice.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

A week or two ago I sent some of my images to SPIN to see if I had, from a technical standpoint, anything they would be interested in. Well, I got an email back today and they invited me to submit as much as I can to Soundcheck. I am so unbelievably happy about that.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Going to try my hand at shooting Bloody Phoenix tonight with a few other bands in Fullerton.

Just finished these up:

I know most people aren't fond of dead centered shots, but I rather liked this:

IMG_1002 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

IMG_1234 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

mysticp posted:

It's a section in the magazine of live band shots, they use stuff that is non-commissioned.

Pretty much. I also just got published in a Danish Metal mag, so I'm coming on up lol.

Here's some photo's from Bloody Phoenix from their 07-09-2011 show:

Bloody Phoenix 206 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Bloody Phoenix 268 ii by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Bloody Phoenix 219 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Bloody Phoenix 344 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

That is a very nice wide shot of the stage.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

This was one of the bands that played at The Power of the Riff with Pentagram, Eyehategod, Winter, Pelican, etc.

Harassor 6639 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

pr0digal posted:

I made a motion graphic out of one of my shots, it's still pretty rough but I'm pretty happy with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bywRl6Gn46s

Please tell me how you did this.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I shot Amon Amarth the other night, and tried screwing with one picture in particular that was somewhat annoying me.
This one here:

Amon Amarth 439 test by Abnegātus, on Flickr

This green light was shining directly into his face, but the top of his head looks so... off to me. I tried a tight crop because all that was around him was absolute darkness, and although it isolated the subject easily enough, it made the entire picture look empty. Any thoughts on how to crop differently? I'm wondering if I should crop the picture to get rid of the really awkward upper portion of his head that just juts out from the absolute blackness.

Here's another crop of the same shot, still unsure:

Amon Amarth 439 test II by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Also, obligatory "trying to stare up their pants" shot:

Amon Amarth 229 test by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 2, 2011

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Quick question. I wanted to set up a site (probably smugmug) for people to buy prints. However, I'm a little iffy on the whole thing because I frankly don't want legal threats being hurled at me.

For nearly all the photos I've never had to sign anything (from either the venue, the band, or the bands management),and I've always been in the crowd (I was never hired for promo shots/it was all captured in a live setting). As far as I know i do not need a model release, but still, I would rather err on the side of caution in regards to all of this.
[side-question: Is it true that if I edit the bands logo into the pictures, then I do have to get a release for the pictures because it could be misconstrued as band endorsement?]

Also, I've had a few bands contact me about using my pictures for their cd booklets; what is the typical way of pricing something like this?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I was planning on hosting a lot more (landscape and macro work specifically), but to be honest I wasn't entirely sure what smugmug entailed (for example, the apparent signup price). I'll definitely look into an etsy, and if you have any other suggestions on sites to use I'd love to hear about them.

I figured I wouldn't make much money, if any, from the cd booklet/inlays. Perhaps it would be easier to trade the photos for some access to future concerts. The band will most likely play some shows with some very large headliners in the near future - so that'd great.

Still, the whole concert photography thing is quickly draining my morale (not so much the physical shooting, but the behind-the-scenes discussions). I believe it was actually you who recommended that I cease finding web publications to work with and find a print one - I've been searching and applying and just gotten no results because most places just don't need anyone. Hell, at this point I would love to shoot for a damned webzine since it would make scoring photopasses much easier (as it is, I either approach the labels myself or find out who is handling PR for the tours and talk to them). I always send whomever supplies me with the photopass a copy of the pictures, and always get a massive amount of compliments, but what good are compliments that are given freely? Although many bands back my photographs, I have a strong feeling that the majority of the major acts aren't even getting to see them (despite the claims from their managers). As it is I essentially am just taking pictures for myself. Not that I'm complaining about that, I love shooting bands, and I love trying to nail the perfect shot... but it gets very tiring talking to label and PR leaders who say that "these are the best pictures of this band ever" and nothing comes of it.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

AtomicManiac posted:

The sad truth is that there's only ever two ways to make any money in band photography for the average photog:

1) Shooting promo pics of terrible bands whose parents have too much money.

2) Working as an "event photographer" for a cover band.

Bigger bands have enough people willing to go to extreme ends to shoot them for free because they genuinely love the band and concert photography (I am guilty of this. I drove 12 hours in one day to shoot The Dillinger Escape Plan). Sure, there is money to be made, but it's not enough to live off of unless you're amazing and you're shooting drat near every night.

I guess the point is that you should shoot concerts because you love it first. If you're after money shoot Weddings, Pets and Babies for the main job, and use that money to support your hobby of band photography.

Yeah, I've come to this slow realization. I love shooting concerts, I adore it, but I feel I need to divorce myself from the "business" side of it for a bit, otherwise it may kill my drive and enjoyment. I suppose it's time to find a wedding photographer to shadow for a while.

What I really need to do to get my spirits up is go and shoot some different drat genres of music too.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I get to shoot Opeth and Katatonia (for those of you who know them) when they come through here soon.

I am excited.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

rockcity posted:

Be prepared to get a ton of photos that look the same. I shot Opeth a couple years back and they were easily one of the most boring bands I've ever shot. They're impressive musicians, but they're statues on stage.

Oh I know all too well haha, but as long as a I get a great shot, I'll be happy.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I shot a handful of bands last month and never got around to working on them, so here are a few I finished tonight:

General poo poo: ISO 3200, 1/125sec-1/160sec, f2.8

Gigan 0227 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gigan 0225 by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Gigan 0273 color by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Let's put it this way, I DESPERATELY wish I could afford both the ability to shoot film. As it is, I can't even afford rolls of film, let alone anything else.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Actually the colors are done via adjustment layers, and then when I want a border I use silver efex pro II to create the border, and then create a layer mask to clean the edges.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Well, here are my two favorite shots from the Opeth show:

Opeth 379

Opeth 620

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Just found out Iron & Wine is playing on the 3rd in L.A.! I'm super excited, despite not at all being able to afford a ticket. I am however hoping to get a ticket/photopass combo in exchange for some free non-monetary promotional work. I'm still worried about being able to pay for gas and parking though.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

^^^I really like that second image. How does the band sound live?
----

I was going over a bunch of folders from previous shots and decided to retool a few images here and there, these are the last two I did:

YOB 1205 II by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Dark Castle 476 II by Abnegātus, on Flickr

Thoughts?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I got to shoot Eluveitie when they played with Children of Bodom at the Yost theater out here in Santa Ana for their 15th anniversary show. Placed was packed, and there weren't many places to go wander off and get different kinds of shots, so I ended up stuck in one place for the performance.

I hate ISO 3200 :argh:

Eluveitie-272

Eluveitie-373

Eluveitie-544

Eluveitie-381

I tried my hardest to get shots of everyone in the band, but ultimately couldn't because I couldn't move from my spot and the band members themselves seemed to have their own places on stage they never deviated from. I tried very hard to get a good shot of the drummer who was hidden away in the back, but these were the only shots I was able to get of him.

Eluveitie-579

Eluveitie-652

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

So I started out doing what can probably be best described as lovely black and white conversions. Of course as I got more comfortable (and started getting pigeonholed as a bw photographer) I decided to go back and redo all of my photos.

Jesus, what an eye opener. I wouldn't have uploaded/shown half the world most of those "finished" photos. Granted, It's only been around 8 months since I started to doing concert photography, but it's hard to believe how different I am from when I started. I'm not saying I'm great now by any means, but I'm definitely different - and hopefully for the better.

These are remakes from the first show I ever shot. feedback on the coloring would be appreciated.

After some heavy reading (in conjunction with looking at all my old and even current ones) I've also decided to give up the whole focus->recompose method for shooting, at least with wider apertures. I've just got too many narrow misses in my history to bother using that method. I think it'll be easier just to become faster at switching af points (which is probably around 70% of what I do now anyway). I've noticed that my camera (t2i) still has problems locking on a subject in low light when it comes to the focus points located around the center af point though, so I'm not sure how to compensate for that. Any ideas?

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, when I first learned of back button focusing I switched immediately. It makes everything so much easier. I usually use the central focus point because it's the only cross-type sensor on the camera and, well, I kind of have to for spot metering. My problem though is that when I use the outer horizontal and vertical focus points I notice it never really nails the focus even when what I'm shooting is perfectly still.

Are there any other cameras (preferably Canon) where you can spot meter from any other focus point besides the center-point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I shot a show with Pathology a while ago but I felt pretty dissatisfied with the photos I took originally. Figured it's been a long while so I took another look and decided to work on these ones: