Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Went to some friends' show last night. First time shooting concerts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Some local bands:
DSCF4583.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSCF4400.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSC02974.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSCF4427-Edit.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

HPL posted:

Backstage Lounge spotted.

Yep! That big round logo thing always reminds me of the Hydra symbol.

How do you guys usually approach band promo shots? How much direction do you give vs. letting the band dictate what they want it to look like? I've never been much good at shooting multiple people.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I'm jealous, wanted to catch her when she was in Van this December.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Never quite sure whether to crop out the crowd when you can't quite get to the very front.

DSC00737.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSC00886.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSC00891.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSC00876.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Is that Jon Heder

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

HPL posted:

I've been having fun shooting with an old Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye lens. I've found that it's a somewhat subtle fisheye in that it does what fisheye lenses do, but somehow it's more subtle in that unless there's blatant cues like a straight line near the edge of the frame, sometimes it slips right by you that it's a fisheye photo. I find the perspective more pleasing than a rectilinear ultrawide because the barrel distortion is not as jarring as how rectilinear ultrawides stretch the image so much towards the edges of the frame. The Sigma gives lots of room in the center of the lens before it starts distorting wildly at the edges. If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive wide FOV lens, you could do a lot worse. I got a good deal on mine because it was in OM mount, which is kind of an oddball mount in this day and age, but it's what I use with my A7S since I am a fan of old Olympus lenses. I've found that while f/2.8 is doable, f/4 is a good balance between overall sharpness and low light capability. Of course it helps when you're using the A7S and ISO isn't so much of a factor. f/4 and f/5.6 are fun because the lens becomes virtually focus-free so you set it and forget it and you can get all sorts of great on-the-fly shots.

I'm pretty surprised we've never run into each other since we apparently run in the same circles. I'll have to keep an eye out for a dude with an A7S from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

Has anyone used the Olympus XA at a show before? I like that it's extremely compact but the max iso of 800 worries me for getting steady shots at 2.8.

This was off of a Olympus Mju which also has a f2.8 aperture, just off of that Shopper's film (400 I think), so if you shot a 800 film or Portra 400 I'm sure you'll get usable shots:

Scan-140622-0002.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

It wasn't an especially bright venue or anything either.