Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Crosspost from SAD, I wouldn't mind some feedback. Your suggestions from earlier in week helped out, HPL.

Nashville Pussy

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

One of the members of a band I saw on the weekend who was also the concert organizer found my Flickr page and sent me an e-mail asking if I could send her some more pictures from the show that I hadn't put up. She says she just wants to see more because a lot went into planning that night, etc...

I don't particularly care about getting paid for the pictures, especially since I wasn't planning to when I took them (she did say she'd send some merch and promo-posters my way for the trouble and I'm cool with that).

I do however want to make sure that my images remain as they are and that I receive credit for them if they're put up somewhere, what's the best way to go about this?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

With a speedlight, how would one go about treating concert photography more as action-portraiture over event photography? I always see concert photos with the flash filling the room, freezing everyone, and while I suppose it's functional, it does nothing for me. Can off camera flash be used much more subtly to accent the lighting on a particular subject? Can this be achieved non-intrusively to the band/audience?

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 19, 2010

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I actually really like hard light so long as it's directional for the strong cast shadows, it's the ambient light that I want to avoid to be perfectly honest.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

If you're observant to the performance and the lighting, with a little luck and good timing, you can take some great shots of heavy bands with ambient light and still capture the energy.

That said, some bands are just boring to watch and are equally boring when photographed.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 5, 2011

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Anyone know if Kool Haus in Toronto allows photography? It looks like a relatively larger venue than I'm used to and I never know how these things work.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

HPL posted:

A lot of it depends on the company promoting whatever show is happening that night. Live Nation and House of Blues need you to go through the proper channels. If it's a show with all smaller local bands, you can usually just ask the promoter directly. Another way is to just bring your camera anyway and see if they care. The worst that can happen is that you'll have to check it at coat check or go back to your car and put it in the trunk.

The times that's it's good to have to go through the hassle of the proper channels are when it's a big show and there's a photo pit at the front of the stage so you don't have to fight the hordes for decent photos and you've got a team of security looking after you.

Thanks for the info. It appears to be promoted by Union Events. I can't find anything on their site, I'll probably just e-mail them closer to the event. It's out of town and I don't want to bring my camera if I'm not going to need it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I know it's his thing, but Iggy Pop needs to start wearing a shirt.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Crosspostin' 'cause I feel like it. Also, I wouldn't mind some feedback.

The Cauldron ones were suffering from red light syndrome, so I pushed and added some blue into them for contrast. I think I'm just bored of the red to black and white conversion.

Fight Amp

Kylesa

Cauldron

psylent posted:

Zooms:
Tamron f/2.8 17-50mm (lots of people recommend this but I've never used it)

The Tamron 17-50 is the bee's knees for a lot of things, but the autofocus is way too slow on it for shooting concerts if the band is moving around at all, or at least in my experience. I might just be impatient.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 20, 2011

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

HPL posted:

Are you using the back focus button? If not, learn to. That way the camera won't try to refocus every time you press the shutter. I find that with fast-moving bands, you find sort of a general focus point then go to work.

I go to a lot of metal shows and I'm usually right in front of the stage, which means the band is bouncing around anywhere from about 12 to 0 feet away. I do use the focus lock button, but a lot of times it just doesn't cut it. Some bands are more sedate, but I usually leave the Tamron in the car. It's bulky and I've gotten pretty fast at switching between my 50 and 35mms. That said, I did give up on it pretty quickly, so it's probably not as bad as I make it sound.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 20, 2011

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

RizieN posted:

Second, I've got the D80 kit lens 18-135mm, and a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8. The 35mm is better in low light, but can't auto focus for poo poo, generally. I think I should stick with the 35mm cause of the wider aperture but I'm unsure about catching impulsive moments in focus with it.

Depends on the venue and depends on how you like to shoot. Personally, I'd say go with 35mm. I have a hard enough time shooting f/2.8 at most places, I can't imagine doing it at f/5.6 would be much fun.

Try both, see how it works out.

For me, I find I like shooting concerts with primes and usually just end up using my 35mm and 50mm. I can't recommend the 50mm f/1.8 enough, at its price, it's a must-have for concert photography and it's pretty great for portraits too.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

A Wizard posted:

Took some snaps last friday

yellowgroove b+w by james.lawlor, on Flickr

Matt Hill Quintet by james.lawlor, on Flickr

would love some pointers especially on the editing side of things :)

I think you've got a pretty good handle on things. I really like the first one.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

This rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Trust