Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I've got my first major festival this weekend. I've done gigs and the odd day concert before, but never something this big. It's from noon till midnight, so the levels of lighting via natural night will change throughout the day.

There's about 5 stages over a few square kilometers, with more than a dozen bands playing throughout the day. I've got me and my partner helping, both of us sporting Nikon D60's so not exactly top of the range, but hopefully our media passes get us some prime spots for shooting.

Looking at the shots nicolerork posted.. how the hell are they so noiseless? even the very dark concert ones. Is it a matter of using a low ISO but waiting till the perfect lighting? Or just throwing some high end hardware at the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

jackpot posted:

What are you doing / who are you working for that would get you media passes? I'm just wondering how that sort of thing is usually done.

Essentially just asked ahead of time. No harm in just saying you're a freelance photographer who loves the culture and would love the opportunity to shoot XYZ band/concert/event.
Be involved in the community. New Zealand is a pretty small place, so each city i'm in will have a pretty tight college/university band scene where you can make a good name for yourself. You can then use that as a portfolio to show bigger outfits what your style can do for them.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
A few shots of various New Zealand bands.. ignore the crappy watermark, it was just for a preview part of my site and needed a quick & dirty marker

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I hate to be "that guy with the flash" but I've got a gig coming up and I just know the lighting is going to be shite. I have an 50mm f1.8 that I want to use, but it's manual focus (thanks Mr Nikon D60, I love your lack of an AF servo!) and in my previous experience, in darkened room it's hard to get a good focus reference when judging it by eye.
They might look OK on the lcd preview screen but then you notice the only thing in focus is the microphone once it's on your PC.

Looks like i'll be using my kit 18-55mm f4.5-5.6, with a sb-600 to assist me.. What's the safest way, ie least intrusive, to bounce a flash in a club/bar.. off the roof?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I'm good friends with a band that i'll be shooting next week. Have many people played around with having a wireless flash situated behind the band while shooting from the front? Wonder if it's worth looking at.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 14, 2009

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Fair enough. I don't have an AF low light lens, so i was looking for ways of using a flash creatively, trying to avoid the "that annoying guy with the flash" stereotype.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but a band has approached me to take some photos for an upcoming concert they're having.. Now this is bigger than just regular bar gigs, this is in an arena with a 6k person capacity in New Zealand.

How would one charge for this kind of thing? A per hour appearance fee, then fees for purchasing individual photos, or just a flat appearance fee, or no appearance fee & just open to purchase whatever photos come out of it?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Yea, if I see any mic eating, it's basically a rejected photo right then and there.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I've got a band's album release gig/party this weekend, they approached me and asked for fees etc.

I know the lead's girlfriend pretty well (she hooks me up with gigs all the time) so I've already suggested not to charge for my time (they only want me there for an hour or so) and said I'll just charge them per photo for use, something we can discuss later in the week.

I'm thinking $40 (NZD) per photo for internet and poster use, but they'll need to confer with me for any magazine or label use (currently unsigned but who knows)
Does that sound OK or is it shooting myself in the foot?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
What do people favour for their PP workflow when processing gig photos? White balance, contrast, blacks, bit of saturation, then noise reduction via a particular app/plugin?

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 13, 2009

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
For international bands like that, who are the best contacts to know/email/phone for media/photographer accreditation?

PR manager for the label, Tour manager for the band, local event manager for the venue?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Sterf posted:

I kind of like noise in concert photography, if done well. Even a bit of movement in the photos can be forgiven, as long as it isn't done with a flash. I really don't like those colour-streaks flash can give with a bit of movement. Makes it looke so...cheap.

To contribute, here's some pictures of Bob Log III taken a short while ago by my girlfriend:

http://www.barbaraperemans.be/music/bob-log-iii

What kind of gear is needed to pull of those kinds of shots?
Seems like a fair bit of PP, but I'm sure the shot was drat sharp to start wth

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Ahhh first three song rule. Lets get rid of the the photographers just as the band and the crowd are getting into it.

Is there a quicker way for bands to shoot themselves in the foot?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

HPL posted:

I just finished running a concert set through DxO Optic Pro and I have to say that I think it's a great tool for concert photographers. The noise reduction is top notch, at least on par with Noise Ninja and automatic handling of highlights and lighting takes a lot of the manual grunt work out of post-processing. Unfortunately you'll still want to hang on to Lightroom for picking selects and finalizing them after processing with metadata, renaming and all that.

Does it still come in component form? ie buy only what you need?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
It'll eventually be a case of Joe-Cellphone-Camera can take photos throughout the entire concert, instantly post them to facebook and a hundred other sites, whereas the proper photographers are ushered out after the first few songs and never credited anywhere.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
A selection of my favs from the Jim Beam Homegrown 2010 festival in Wellington, New Zealand. Sorry if it's too many :]

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Already Bored posted:

We're based in Sydney, unfortunately :)

If you need someone from Melbourne, let me know :]
I've just moved here from NZ, and there seems to be a great lack of local opportunities.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Already Bored posted:

Can you PM me with a link to your portfolio? :)

Lack of plat :(

So far on flickr:

The Artists

The Crowds

Slowly building it up..

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

Australia, Paris and NYC...Hobo Gestapo? That's pretty cool if I'm right :)

Do you guys have anyone up in Brisbane at the moment? I'm looking at doing event photography, right now I'm shooting through FasterLouder, but I'd kill to do some more portraiture and such rather than just concerts.

Hey quick question, If I wanted to shoot for FasterLouder, who's a good person to contact, rather than just the info@fasterlouder address or similar.

cheers

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Cheers.

Is there any middle steps to take between signing up for a new profile, and adding a new photo album? Does it then get published if good enough etc?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I tried to neutralise the red lighting as best I could, but still wanted to keep a little for the "feel" of the night. Now, I'm wondering if I should have used B&W.

They wanted "tight" pics, so I used my 70-200 f2.8.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Yea, just my portfolio and something for their social media pages, nothing too professional.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Once the 3 songs have been and gone.. ya just gotta get creative with where you sneak off to ;D

All of these were taken well after the press pit was clear.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Am I wrong for thinking that using a flash for small venue gigs is just horrible? Yes you can get away with it more than you can at a full sized concert, but it's not really teaching you anything, it's certainly not practice for bigger concerts, and you may as well go back to taking photos of your pretty cats if it's just about the subject matter.

Anyway, to share.

edit: For the record, these blokes here absolutely killed the live event photography scene in Wellington, New Zealand. It got to the point where if you wern't shooting for them, and were actually interested in shooting the performance, rather than "HEY HOT CHICK LOOK HERE, IT'LL BE ON FACEBOOK" crowd lighttrail shots - you were basically turned away.

So I'm loving thankful that there's nothing much like that in Melbourne, Australia (where I am now)

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 2, 2010

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

psylent posted:

First show I've shot in about 6 months. I don't get out much any more:
A band from Melbourne called Alpine. They were pretty decent. It seems like I was loving me some portrait orientation this evening.

Good stuff :)

I'm shooting a bunch of Melbourne bands tonight (In Melbourne), so hopefully it's a good night.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
The band that I regularly take gig photos for just won an opportunity to open for Bon Jovi when they play in Melbourne.

I've asked them nicely to see if they can hook me up with a media pass :]

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Cyberbob posted:

The band that I regularly take gig photos for just won an opportunity to open for Bon Jovi when they play in Melbourne.

I've asked them nicely to see if they can hook me up with a media pass :]

They've just confirmed a back stage working pass for me, so I won't get kicked off after 3 songs either.

*pressure*

Hope 200mm is long enough for it.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 12, 2010

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

Taking static shots of heavy bands just looks weird to me compared to dragging the shutter.

Static shots with flash look horrible.
Static shots using only ambient is the bread and butter of every good concert photographer out there.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
I seem to have fallen into the classic trap.

A band that I've befriended since moving to Melbourne are launching their second EP. I've shot their shows many times for free, and I recently shot their EP cover for free (the main photos on their website below), as a 'thank you' for getting me into a bunch of Bon Jovi shows (they supported BJ while he was in Melbourne and I shot both them and BJ on those nights).

Now they're wanting me to shoot the EP artwork (sleeve foldouts I assume). I'd kinda like to make some money off it, but I don't want to be a dick.

http://www.thescarletsrock.com/

I don't really like the idea of doing promos for free (they get money out of it, why can't I). Would it be worth the potential backlash for a few bucks? Not sure what kind of usage rights are typically pursued by photogs in these scenarios.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Been doing so many model shoots lately that I've missed doing gig stuff.

The Misfits in Melbourne