Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IDemandSatisfaction
Feb 20, 2007

Glove slap baby!

Elephunk posted:

cashortradeforyourextra.com

Nice, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponchosuperstar
Mar 5, 2008
Holy poo poo, a Phish thread.

What are you guys listening to most from this fall so far aside from Seven Below > Ghost from Albany?

Fluffhead
May 2, 2009

by angerbot

ponchosuperstar posted:

What are you guys listening to most from this fall so far aside from Seven Below > Ghost from Albany?

I would honestly throw the Julius in there as well.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

ponchosuperstar posted:

11/20 Cincy - PYITE>Tweezer>Light>Back on the Train>Possum

Listen to it. Love it. The PYITE has some flubs, but the rest - holy poo poo.

Also, check out the Light jam from last night. From about midway through to the end it's very nice. That's definitely one of the songs from Joy that'll stay in heavy rotation from here on forward.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

GOOCHY posted:

Also, check out the Light jam from last night. From about midway through to the end it's very nice. That's definitely one of the songs from Joy that'll stay in heavy rotation from here on forward.

While it's not quite a jam engine, I have to say that Stealing Time from the Faulty Plan is my favorite song from Joy to see live. They opened Great Woods with it over the summer and it piqued my interest; the Philly1 Set1 closer was just absolutely raging!

ponchosuperstar posted:

I'll admit it, I'm one of those people who really likes relistening to shows I've seen live, so I've been playing a lot of Philly/Portland (with Albany2 for good measure) on the ol' iPod. From non-fall-tour stuff, 12/2/95 was my first show and had really good versions of Possum/Tweezer, so I gave that a nice relisten last night as well.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Looks like they busted out Glide, Dinner and a Movie, and Scents and Subtle Sounds last night. Livephish.com isn't commenting on it, but that's the first Glide since Coventry - where they mangled it beyond belief.

--------------------------------------
Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

Set One

* Heavy Things
* Possum
* Wilson
* Kill Devil Falls
* Glide
* 46 Days
* Bouncing Around The Room
* Reba
* Dinner and a Movie
* Guyute
* Maze
* First Tube

Set Two

* Scents And Subtle Sounds
* Rock & Roll >
* Seven Below >
* Twist
* Mike's Song >
* I Am Hydrogen >
* Weekapaug Groove
* The Horse >
* Silent in the Morning
* You Enjoy Myself

Encore

* Shine A Light

I Am Hydrogen
Apr 10, 2007

Wanted to check in and say Phish are an obsession of mine. Wasn't able to catch them on the current tour, but saw them over the summer 6 times and an amazing time. Fluffhead in Indy during the thunderstorm was quite the experience.

GOOCHY posted:

Looks like they busted out Glide, Dinner and a Movie, and Scents and Subtle Sounds last night. Livephish.com isn't commenting on it, but that's the first Glide since Coventry - where they mangled it beyond belief.

Conventry Glide was an absolute disaster. The look Mike gave Trey during it was priceless.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I Am Hydrogen posted:

Wanted to check in and say Phish are an obsession of mine. Wasn't able to catch them on the current tour, but saw them over the summer 6 times and an amazing time. Fluffhead in Indy during the thunderstorm was quite the experience.

Conventry Glide was an absolute disaster. The look Mike gave Trey during it was priceless.

What's even worse, and I think it's more apparent in the video than just the audio, is that they're singing "And we're glad, glad, glad that you're alive..." and none of them sound like they want to be alive themselves.

Don't do opiates, kids.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

GOOCHY posted:

What's even worse, and I think it's more apparent in the video than just the audio, is that they're singing "And we're glad, glad, glad that you're alive..." and none of them sound like they want to be alive themselves.

Don't do opiates, kids.

Wow I've never watched or heard that version of Glide before. It is pretty sad. Trey just butchers his guitar. :(

It had to happen sooner or later.

Fluffhead
May 2, 2009

by angerbot
So what does everybody think about the last leg of the tour? Virginia sounds like it was a very amazing night of music. The Tweezer > Light > Piper > Free consists of some excellent jamming, especially in Light. It gets pretty spacey in the best possible way at the end of that song that night. Oh yeah, naked guy running around stage during Ya Mar led to a hilarious outtake on Antelope (You gotta run like a naked guy! out of control!1!) youtube video.

I've been hearing rumors of a return run to Hampton after NYE...anyone else hearing this?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Fluffhead posted:

So what does everybody think about the last leg of the tour? Virginia sounds like it was a very amazing night of music. The Tweezer > Light > Piper > Free consists of some excellent jamming, especially in Light. It gets pretty spacey in the best possible way at the end of that song that night. Oh yeah, naked guy running around stage during Ya Mar led to a hilarious outtake on Antelope (You gotta run like a naked guy! out of control!1!) youtube video.

I've been hearing rumors of a return run to Hampton after NYE...anyone else hearing this?

Hahaha, definitely, I love the naked guy references during Ya Mar and Antelope.

There was so much from this fall tour that I liked. 46 Days was played fantastically multiple times, particularly at Cobo, if I recall correctly.

The MSG shows, while played well, weren't the epic shows that I was expecting. I can't tell you exactly what I was expecting, but these seemed pretty standard overall. I hear that the place was jumping every night, so it may not translate into recording very well.

I think CCCC in Portland, and N1 of Cincinnati win in a tie for my favorite shows of the fall. CCCC might have just a slight edge for the Meat bustout, Crimes of the Mind, a trippy rear end Undermind, and Carini for an encore. That is a sick show beginning to end, man.

ponchosuperstar
Mar 5, 2008
A goon-friend of mine shot some great video of the naked guy that's out there right now, I forgot what his handle was or I'd send him towards this thread.

God, great video of a naked guy? This fuckin band...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

GOOCHY posted:

The MSG shows, while played well, weren't the epic shows that I was expecting. I can't tell you exactly what I was expecting, but these seemed pretty standard overall. I hear that the place was jumping every night, so it may not translate into recording very well.

I went to the first night, it was the first Phish show I'd been to in over ten years, and I had a great time. The setlist included a lot of crowd pleasing classics - Chalkdust Torture, Tweezer, Antelope, Harry Hood, Cavern, Divided Sky, etc. and the crowd's enthusiasm was great, but the performance - while mostly solid - was on the sloppy side at times. The transition into the second part of Peaches en Regalia was really off, for example, which is too bad because I love that song and had never seen them play it in person before. There were some great moments though, Tweezer was excellent as was Harry Hood, and my favorite was their performance of A Day in the Life for the encore, it was an excellent version, nice and heavy, the whole audience singing it really loudly. For a day or two after the show I even wandered around whistling Phish tunes and even looking up some of my favorite old shows on Youtube, even though I haven't really considered myself a fan in along time.

FatalTheGod
Oct 11, 2005

GOOCHY posted:

Figured I'd throw my opinion into the mix on this one. I ended up going to all 3 shows, and I had only seen Phish before at Bonnaroo (both nights). I thought all 3 nights at MSG were absolutely phenomenal, and the energy was unreal. The crowd was really into it, and the band had a lot of energy and busted out some really nice jams.

First night was kind of a "greatest hits" thing, is how I saw it. They got a lot of their "classic live" songs out of the way, and nights 2 and 3 were a mixture of a lot of different stuff, with night 3 being by far the best of the run.

There were a few points where the band was kind of sloppy, but that's to be expected. Their music is pretty unique and complex, and I feel that they sound incredible for being back together for less than a year! Honestly, I'll take a "slightly rough around the edges" Phish as long as it means they're back :)

Fluffhead
May 2, 2009

by angerbot
Does anyone know of a good quality recording of Big Cypress 12/31/99-1/01/00 ? I have a decent recording, but its definitely muffled a bit. I've been heavily listening to The Show recently, particularly the Split Open and Melt > Catapult, Meatstick, After Midnight (and reprise...),Crosseyed and Painless, and Sand. Although I was only 12 years old at the time, I'm still glad that it actually took place. I can only imagine what it must have been like to experience it. Anyways, hopefully some of you can point me in the right direction (i've scoured bt.etree.org and no dice), and poo poo, well.. hopefully good quality recordings even exist.

Heres a great quality video of the After Midnight reprise jam http://www.vimeo.com/6581681

And a decent youtube of what came out of Split Open and Melt click . Incredible Catapult segue.

MonkeyBrains
Aug 28, 2006

Damn... Nobody left to kill me.
You can find a link to download it at the bottom of this page http://phishthoughts.com/audio-archive/1999

Unfortunately I don't have a premium membership to megaupload so I can't download it since it is over 1 gb. If anyone else could grab this and possibly share it with us that would be amazing.

I was there and I haven't listened to anything from it for years. I would love to kick back and reminisce. One of the greatest experiences of my life.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

MonkeyBrains posted:

You can find a link to download it at the bottom of this page http://phishthoughts.com/audio-archive/1999

Unfortunately I don't have a premium membership to megaupload so I can't download it since it is over 1 gb. If anyone else could grab this and possibly share it with us that would be amazing.

I was there and I haven't listened to anything from it for years. I would love to kick back and reminisce. One of the greatest experiences of my life.

Seconding, I'd love to hear this night. According to Trey, it was the pinnacle of their musical journey.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

They played Wading in the Velvet Sea during that show though, and failed to play My Friend, My Friend. So I disagree with Trey. :colbert:

Fluffhead
May 2, 2009

by angerbot

Earwicker posted:

They played Wading in the Velvet Sea during that show though, and failed to play My Friend, My Friend. So I disagree with Trey. :colbert:

Did you even watch the After Midnight Reprise jam?... :colbert:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Anniversary of the sickest hometown shows I ever got but I didn't go to them because I was thirteen and listening to Slipknot probably.

12/10/99 First Union Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA
Set I: Tweezer, Bouncing Around the Room, Horn, Heavy Things, Dogs Stole Things, My Mind's Got a Mind of its Own, Roggae, Birds of a Feather, Guyute, Loving Cup
Set II: Gotta Jibboo, The Wedge, David Bowie> Have Mercy> Cracklin' Rosie, Twist, Waste
Encore: Ride Captain Ride

12/11/99 First Union Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA
Set I: Harry Hood, Mike's Song> Simple> I am Hydrogen> Weekapaug Groove, When the Circus Comes to Town, Scent of a Mule, Cavern
Set II: Boogie On Reggae Woman> Sneaking Sally Through the Alley> Ghost> Also Sprach Zarathustra> Down With Disease
Encore: Possum

12/11 is one of my favorite tapes ever. The hood OPENER has so much energy and that 2nd set is pretty much my dream Phish setlist. I poo poo my pants this year at 8 and Albany 2 over the funk power of GHOST..

Fluffhead
May 2, 2009

by angerbot

Elephunk posted:

12/11/99 First Union Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA
Set I: Harry Hood, Mike's Song> Simple> I am Hydrogen> Weekapaug Groove, When the Circus Comes to Town, Scent of a Mule, Cavern
Set II: Boogie On Reggae Woman> Sneaking Sally Through the Alley> Ghost> Also Sprach Zarathustra> Down With Disease
Encore: Possum

12/11 is one of my favorite tapes ever. The hood OPENER has so much energy and that 2nd set is pretty much my dream Phish setlist. I poo poo my pants this year at 8 and Albany 2 over the funk power of GHOST..

I just want to second that sally>ghost>2001. its a pants shitter in its own right.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fluffhead posted:

Did you even watch the After Midnight Reprise jam?... :colbert:

No I don't have a copy of the show yet! I just hate Wading in the Velvet Sea it brings me down every time :smith:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I started crying with Page and so did everyone around me during Wading at Coventry.

:'(

Fluffhead
May 2, 2009

by angerbot

Earwicker posted:

No I don't have a copy of the show yet! I just hate Wading in the Velvet Sea it brings me down every time :smith:

I posted the link on this page. You need to watch this!

Fluffhead
May 2, 2009

by angerbot
Ah I also forgot this video I found about Festival 8. Its a compilation of over 50,000 photographs, those who attended 8 will enjoy!

http://www.vimeo.com/7690804

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Fluffhead posted:

Ah I also forgot this video I found about Festival 8. Its a compilation of over 50,000 photographs, those who attended 8 will enjoy!

http://www.vimeo.com/7690804

This is pretty awesome.

Ahoy Miami in 7 days for me!!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

The Great Went twenty-three minute 2001? gently caress. Yes.

Evasive Maneuvers
Apr 15, 2005
I dream open eyed, could this be true?
So pumped for Miami! I'm a little nervous as I'm doing all 4 nights ~> JamCruise, but you only live once, so gently caress it. Must remember it's a marathon and not a sprint.

The bar is set pretty high IMO as far as how well they played MSG. Listened to that DWD this morning and just knocked my socks off.

Plus, the whole Miami scene is just awesome around NYE. South Beach, Miami Vices, great weather. Couldn't ask for a better setting for a high stimulation New Years. 2003 was great times and I expect nothing less.

Anyone who is going, be sure to make the pilgrimage to Joe's Stone Crab. EPIC.

Also - Gamehenge at some point during the course of the run. You heard it here first.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

If they play Gamehendge in its entirety I'll eat my hat.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Evasive Maneuvers posted:

So pumped for Miami! I'm a little nervous as I'm doing all 4 nights ~> JamCruise, but you only live once, so gently caress it. Must remember it's a marathon and not a sprint.

The bar is set pretty high IMO as far as how well they played MSG. Listened to that DWD this morning and just knocked my socks off.

Plus, the whole Miami scene is just awesome around NYE. South Beach, Miami Vices, great weather. Couldn't ask for a better setting for a high stimulation New Years. 2003 was great times and I expect nothing less.

Anyone who is going, be sure to make the pilgrimage to Joe's Stone Crab. EPIC.

Also - Gamehenge at some point during the course of the run. You heard it here first.

Holy poo poo thats pretty epic, 4 nights of phish then jam cruise like 2 days later. I can tell your a fan of STS9.. that is gonna be so sick seeing them live on a boat. I wish I could go to jamcruise too :)

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Alright, so is Meatstick going to re-emerge during one of these four days? I'm betting so.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Holy poo poo, what an awesome first night for their NYE run..

Set One
* Sample in a Jar
* NICU
* My Soul
* Roggae
* Undermind
* Bouncing Around The Room
* Poor Heart
* Stash
* I Didn't Know
* Beauty Of A Broken Heart
* Possum
Set Two
* Mike's Song >
* Light >
* I Am Hydrogen >
* Weekapaug Groove
* Alaska
* Backwards Down the Number Line
* Makisupa Policeman >
* Harry Hood >
* Contact
* Character Zero
Encore
* First Tube

I'm so sad I missed it :( .. almost wish I would have went tonight as well as the 30th and the 31st.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Chances of them repeating any songs these 4 days are pretty slim, huh? I really wanted to see Undermind. :/

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Shampy posted:

Chances of them repeating any songs these 4 days are pretty slim, huh? I really wanted to see Undermind. :/

Yeah, if you're going to any of the next three shows you won't see Undermind. Sorry. :(

I liked the return of My Soul and Roggae last night! My Soul was well played and Roggae was a little bit sloppy, but that's alright, it's still good to see them return to the rotation.

Makisupa was hilarious last night with "two minutes of just Mike" along with a crowd "Mike" chant.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

GOOCHY posted:

Yeah, if you're going to any of the next three shows you won't see Undermind. Sorry. :(

I liked the return of My Soul and Roggae last night! My Soul was well played and Roggae was a little bit sloppy, but that's alright, it's still good to see them return to the rotation.

Makisupa was hilarious last night with "two minutes of just Mike" along with a crowd "Mike" chant.

Haha, nice. Do you have the recordings of the show by any chance? I could use some pre phish show music before the show itself :)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

All of it is up at https://www.livephish.com . My wallet as weeped this tour.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

American Airlines Arena, Miami, FL - 12/29

Set One

* Golgi Apparatus
* Maze
* Driver
* The Connection
* Wolfman's Brother
* Ocelot
* Reba
* Access Me
* The Divided Sky
* Cavern

Set Two

* Kill Devil Falls
* Tweezer >
* Prince Caspian
* Gotta Jibboo >
* Wilson >
* Gotta Jibboo >
* Heavy Things >
* 2001 >
* Slave To The Traffic Light

Encore

* Sleeping Monkey
* Tweezer Reprise

Maze in the 2nd slot? You know this is going to be good show - and it was. This show had the 2nd time "The Connection" was played, as well as the return of "Access Me", also 2nd time ever. Reba was pretty much note for note perfect.

The 2nd set is where it's at though. This Tweezer *might* be the best one of 2009. Note the Manteca teases throughout the jam. I thought they might actually play it, but it wasn't to be. Be on the look out for that one to surface over the next couple of days.

The real poo poo starts with Gotta Jibboo > Wilson > Gotta Jibboo > Heavy Things > 2001 > Slave To The Traffic Light. The segues between these songs are wonderful, really smooth, and it just works. Wilson is hard to segue in and out of, but they took a risk and it worked. Also, I'm usually not a huge fan of Heavy Things, it's a good pop song, but that's about it. This Heavy Things is better than most, particularly in the short-ish jam.

Definitely check this one out, guys. Much better than night 1, in my opinion. There's a whole shitload of great stuff left to play. I can't wait for tonight's show even if I'm just enjoying the streams and setlist updates from home. :) It's fun to live vicariously through those who are nice enough to update the info to the Internet as the concert unfolds.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I just wanted to post this in the moment right now... they're playing Tela. This is unbelievable.

First time since 1998.

American Airlines Arena, Miami, FL - 12/30/09

Set One

* Soul Shakedown Party
* Runaway Jim
* Jesus Just Left Chicago
* Dixie Cannonball
* Stealing Time From The Faulty Plan
* Corina
* My Left Toe
* Tela

to be continued...

fromtheroad.phish.com got part of the setlist wrong. They had it listed as "My Left Toe" but it was "What's the Use?"

# What's The Use?
# Tela
# Gone
# Rocky Top
# Chalk Dust Torture
# David Bowie

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 31, 2009

Kringlebert
Apr 26, 2008

Got that big stick
Set One

Soul Shakedown Party
Runaway Jim
Jesus Just Left Chicago
Dixie Cannonball
Stealing Time From The Faulty Plan
Corinna
What's The Use?
Tela
Gone
Rocky Top
Chalk Dust Torture
David Bowie

Set Two

Sand
The Curtain With
Lifeboy
Back On The Train >
Wading In The Velvet Sea
Hold Your Head Up >
Love You >
Hold Your Head Up
Free
Boogie On Reggae Woman
Run Like An Antelope

E: Frankenstein

The Sand and Train were especially nuts, with Train jammed way out to 17-18 minutes. The Bowie was hot, too. Can't wait for tomorrow's show - there's bound to be a Split and/or Disease, and I'm calling A Day in the Life as the encore.

e: 2009 surpassed 1998 tonight as the year with the most unique songs

Kringlebert fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 31, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBandit
Jan 23, 2006
drat, that's a pretty nice setlist. Wish I could be down there, tonight will probably be insane.

• Locked thread