Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smohq
Jan 27, 2005

BFG420
I know, filthy hippies and their patchouli-tainted, pot-smoking noodling music.

For those that know or care, Phish just 'reunited' (BeTreyed!) and played a phenomenal 3-show run at the Hampton Coliseum in Virginia this past weekend, and have released all 3 shows in mp3 format for free, as well as a discount if you prefer to order them in FLAC or CD format. I'm still in the middle of set one of the first night (Fluffhead opener! Holy poo poo! I Didn't Know complete with vacuum solo), and it's loving fantastic. The setlists are amazing and I so wish I could've been there, but after all the hassle of traveling cross-country to see their 'final' shows in Coventry, Vermont, we decided to wait and see if they stay together long enough to make it back out to the west coast.

At any rate, Phish Heads, jam band lovers, or hippies in general, just go grab the shows here: http://livephish.com/

(Edit: I think you'll need to create an account first.)

smohq fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Way to gently caress up You Enjoy Myself, Trey.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

Setlist from the first show I'm downloading is unbelieveable. Fluffhead opener? I Didn't Know?

Holy poo poo!

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Sunday was my first time in the Hampton Colliseum - that place was built for Phish shows.

It's so good to see Trey sober and playing competently again. Page was on FIRE though - he really stole the show on sunday (Army of One, Scent, Gin...).

And I finally got my tube :) :) :).

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
Speaking of Phish, I am giving away 29 live cassette tapes:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3114165

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

Just FYI, not free anymore. $9.99 per show for mp3 format.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I caught Phish at Alpine on 6/20 and they were ON FIRE. Absolutely a great show all around. The crowd was going crazy! If any of you guys have been to the shows this tour pipe up! We need some Phish talk in this forum.

Unreal set list -

Setlist:
Set I: Punch You in the Eye, Runaway Jim, Stash, Yamar, Bathtub Gin, Kill Devil Falls, Train Song, Farmhouse, Sparkle, Run Like An Antelope

Set II: Waves, Sample in a Jar, Maze, Makisupa Policeman, Ghost, Lizards, You Enjoy Myself > NICU > Prince Caspian, Waste, Fire

Encore: Character Zero

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Yeah I saw the Camden, NJ stop, which was quite sick, as well as the two Bonnaroo sets. I'm still waiting to hear a Mike's Song/Weekapaug, that would be sweet.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/com/1233300670.html

quote:

I HAVE LIVED OFF OF COUNTY HWY D NEAR ALPINE VALLEY FOR THE PAST 24 YEARS AND OFTEN FEEL THE RESIDUAL NEGATIVE EFFECTS OF THE CONCERTS. NEVER HAVE I HAD AN INCIDENT SUCH AS THE ONE THAT OCCURRED ON SATURDY NIGHT (JUN. 20) FOLLOWING A "PHISH" MUSICAL. OUR DOG WOKE US AT 1:30 AM MAKING A RUCKUS. WE HAVE A SMALL WARMING HOUSE NEAR THE EDGE OF THE HIGHWAY THAT I BUILT FOR OUR DAUGHTERS (NOW GROWN) TO WAIT FOR THE SCHOOLBUSES IN. THE LIGHT IN IT WAS ON AND SOMEONE WAS INSIDE. I PUT ON CLOTHES AND APPROACHED AND FOUND HIM DEFECATING ON THE FLOOR. HAD HAIR LOOKED LIKE A DOORMAT. EYES WERE BUGGY LIKE I REMEMBER ON MEN IN VIETNAM. I HAD A SHOTGUN AND TOLD HIM HE WAS GOING TO CLEAN UP THE DEFECATE. BUT I AM OLD (71 NOW) AND MADE A MISTAKE, RETURNING TO THE HOUSE TO GET A HOSE AND BUCKET. HE RAN IN THE DIRECTION OF THE INTERSTATE AND I DIDNOT FOLLOW.

MY MESSAGE IS THIS: GET YOUR PEOPLE IN ORDER "PHISH". AND NEVER COME TO ALPINE VALLEY AGAIN. SHAME ON YOU. I AM POSTING ON CRAIGLIST BECAUSE I HAVE USED IT TO SELL TRUCK PARTS AND LAWN FURNTITURE AND DOUBT AN EDITOR'S LETTER IN THE JOURNAL/SENTINEL WILL REACH "PHISH" PEOPLE, WHO MY NEIGHBOR SAYS ARE MOSTLY FROM ILLINOIS OR EASTCOAST. I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR AN APOLOGY FROM THE MAN WHO COMMITTED THIS ACT. HE LEFT BEHIND A WHITE HAT WITH AN ALIEN ON IT. ALSO A GLASS THING. I AM GOING TO THROW THEM AWAY.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo what I would do to have been a fly on the wall during the whole thing. Especially as he typed that up.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Oh man there are just no words. That's loving hilarious. Gonna look up that warming house when I head to Alpine in July.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

It's so great to see my favorite band not sucking.

Can't wait for Red Rocks.

That tour closing 2nd set from Alpine looks soooo good.

Crosseyed -> DWD -> Bug, Piper, Velvet, Slave

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Elephunk posted:

It's so great to see my favorite band not sucking.

Can't wait for Red Rocks.

That tour closing 2nd set from Alpine looks soooo good.

Crosseyed -> DWD -> Bug, Piper, Velvet, Slave

I agree. The set lists during this first part of the summer tour have been consistently amazing. They sound good, not 1994-1997 era good, but still much, much better than at the end when they went on hiatus.

I really wish I could talk my wife into doing the entire 4 night run at Red Rocks.

EDIT - Oh, and the new stuff they're debuting sounds GREAT. They're playing those tunes with some real zest.

EDIT2 - Somebody posted this over on the ohkeepa forums.

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 23, 2009

Pseudo
Jul 18, 2003

space cat

quote:

HE LEFT BEHIND A WHITE HAT WITH AN ALIEN ON IT. ALSO A GLASS THING. I AM GOING TO THROW THEM AWAY.

This is the best

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I really started listening to Phish in 2004, right after they broke up. That was a huge bummer, because I started downloading as much as their live stuff as I could find, but had to live with the fact that I missed the boat on actually seeing them. That wasn't a good feeling.

I saw them at Fenway Park this year, and then again the next week at Great Woods, and I'm totally hooked. Those two shows were literally two of the best nights of my life, and those two shows didn't even stand out too too much against the rest of the tour. There's something about the environment at Phish shows that completely appeals to me. I've already got plane tickets to Red Rocks* and plans to do Hartford>MD>SPAC - late July can't come fast enough. If anyone is going to any of those shows and wants to say hi, feel free to shoot me a message or something - all of the Phishheads I've met so far have been really really cool.

What do people think of the new songs? I like most of them, but Backwards Down the Number Line is my of my new favorites. I can't listen to that song and not smile :)

*(I have a flight and a tentative place to stay, but no tickets which right now has me kind of stressed. If Fenway was an indication, the market should become reasonable a week beforehand, but if anyone has extras and could sell at a fair price, I would appreciate it hugely.)

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

I really started listening to Phish in 2004, right after they broke up. That was a huge bummer, because I started downloading as much as their live stuff as I could find, but had to live with the fact that I missed the boat on actually seeing them. That wasn't a good feeling.

I saw them at Fenway Park this year, and then again the next week at Great Woods, and I'm totally hooked. Those two shows were literally two of the best nights of my life, and those two shows didn't even stand out too too much against the rest of the tour. There's something about the environment at Phish shows that completely appeals to me. I've already got plane tickets to Red Rocks* and plans to do Hartford>MD>SPAC - late July can't come fast enough. If anyone is going to any of those shows and wants to say hi, feel free to shoot me a message or something - all of the Phishheads I've met so far have been really really cool.

What do people think of the new songs? I like most of them, but Backwards Down the Number Line is my of my new favorites. I can't listen to that song and not smile :)

*(I have a flight and a tentative place to stay, but no tickets which right now has me kind of stressed. If Fenway was an indication, the market should become reasonable a week beforehand, but if anyone has extras and could sell at a fair price, I would appreciate it hugely.)

Backwards Down the Number Line is going to be a mainstay track in future tours. I can tell, that song is really great. (listening to the Hampton show version right now...)

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Wow, there's someone else besides me who has simultaneous bemani and phish obsessions.

I posted this in the other thread, but Halloween is pretty much 100% confirmed to be a festival type thing in California, on the Coachella Field.

Can't wait for RED ROCKS!!! (I won all four nights in the lottery :) :) ).

I feel your pain on the 'miss the boat' train, I got into the band in 2000 when they had begun the hiatus and listened to tapes for 3 years before I got to see them. Then I saw them a bunch in 03/04 and it wasn't that good because Trey was too high to play. :(

This past month has been the time of my life, though.

The hartford > MD > SPAC drive is gonna be BRUTAL...but you know that MD is gonna be the sleeper show...

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

I got to see them in St. Louis and it was definitely kickass. Not too much love here on SA for them though. Also that wook story is hilarious. drat dirty wook.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Elephunk posted:

Wow, there's someone else besides me who has simultaneous bemani and phish obsessions.

Bemani and Phish both lend themselves to obsessive behavior and going on trips with friends - two things fit with me. It's been awhile since I've really been into music games, although I did think it was awesome that Wilson found its way onto Rock Band's downloadable content. :rock:

quote:

I posted this in the other thread, but Halloween is pretty much 100% confirmed to be a festival type thing in California, on the Coachella Field.

Can't wait for RED ROCKS!!! (I won all four nights in the lottery :) :) ).

I feel your pain on the 'miss the boat' train, I got into the band in 2000 when they had begun the hiatus and listened to tapes for 3 years before I got to see them. Then I saw them a bunch in 03/04 and it wasn't that good because Trey was too high to play. :(

This past month has been the time of my life, though.

drat, if Halloween happens as you say it will I'll certainly head out there. A Phish festival, after waiting 5 years to see them, is like the most appealing thing I can think of. I played it safe on this tour by only going to two shows - I wasn't a big fan of 2003-4/Hampton due to the flubs/meandering jams, and I wasn't sure how much I'd enjoy it. Since then, though - it's been the primary thing on my mind. It's crazy.

quote:

The hartford > MD > SPAC drive is gonna be BRUTAL...but you know that MD is gonna be the sleeper show...

I'm still torn on MD - I live in Boston, and so I can theoretically just go home after each show. I'm pretty much just banking on the fact that after Hartford, I'll find the drive to be worth it. Anyone here interested in a carpool for those three shows?

As an aside, I really wish I was around for 4/2/98-4/3/98:
Roses Are Free jam
Twist jam
Antelope

Watching those three videos is currently my #1 thing to pair with :420: :)

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I'm listening to this 6/20 Alpine show on my system, finally. This show was so, so good. Runaway Jim, Ya Mar, Bathtub Gin, Makisupa, Ghost, the list goes on. This set was loving unreal. It's nice to be able to download the SBD directly from them and relive the set. I always forget some of the details of a Phish show. ;)

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Fishman is now going to sing Bike for you...

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Elephunk posted:

Fishman is now going to sing Bike for you...

Hah, after a "Grind" gently caress-up, that's hilarious...

Did you end up making it to the Red Rocks shows? I'm trying to talk my wife into seeing 8/11 at Toyota Park but it's just two days before we fly out for Jamaica. I'm thinking I'm going to get veto'd on this one.

Any news of a fall tour? I can't seem to find anything. :( (EDIT - nevermind. I see rumors of a Winter East coast tour. :( Too far away from Chicago for me to attend.

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 8, 2009

UberNoke
Jul 20, 2004

Are you injecting dope into your scrotum!? You can tell me! I’m hip!
Everyone needs to listen to last night's Gorge show. By far the best of the tour so far. The Bathtub Gin in particular is just fantastic.

Can't wait to catch them in Hartford next Friday. They're only getting better as the tour continues.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I got a hold of the first show of the Red Rock's run and it has some really great stuff on it. The "Mike's..." to open Set II is particularly good. If anybody has the next 3 nights (7/31, 8/1, 8/2) SBDs shoot me a PM, I'm in need. I've read that the 8/1 show was completely insane. The set list looks phenomenal.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Third night was unquestionably the best

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Flight booked, tickets purchased - yes!

Anyone else going to Festival 8?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Flight booked, ticket and car pass acquired, and I'm renting a Dodge Charger so I can feel like a cop for three days.

Leaving work on thursday at 5, flying out from Philly, landing in San Diego 9am Friday, leaving the festival directly from the show on Sunday to make a 9am flight back to Philly in time for work on tuesday!

Of course, this pales in comparison to Hampton where I drove down from Philly on sunday, dosed :lsd: , saw the show, and then drove 8 hours home.

TEH PHISH :iamafag:

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Elephunk posted:

Flight booked, ticket and car pass acquired, and I'm renting a Dodge Charger so I can feel like a cop for three days.

Leaving work on thursday at 5, flying out from Philly, landing in San Diego 9am Friday, leaving the festival directly from the show on Sunday to make a 9am flight back to Philly in time for work on tuesday!

Of course, this pales in comparison to Hampton where I drove down from Philly on sunday, dosed :lsd: , saw the show, and then drove 8 hours home.

TEH PHISH :iamafag:

You bastard, I considered bumping this thread to see if you were going. I'm so jealous. Married life just isn't conducive to heading out to California for three days, unfortunately. I do have my livephish.com radio stream going today, though. :)

I think we're the only two people who give two shits about Phish on this board.

EDIT - Oh yeah, my brother works with a guy who has a terabyte of live Phish shows - so he's grabbing that up for me so I can transfer it over to my own drive. Pretty pumped about that and hoping there's plenty of early 90's represented in his collection.

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 4, 2009

Evasive Maneuvers
Apr 15, 2005
I dream open eyed, could this be true?
I give a large poo poo about Phish. Saw 14 shows this tour - amazing times.

Gorge Night 2 and Red Rocks Night 2, Set II stand out for me particularly. And that First Tube at the end of Bonnaroo pretty much fried my circuits.

The whole second leg of ter was really phenomenal. Leaps and bounds ahead of Hampton in terms of cohesiveness. I do believe with 8 ~> Fall Tour, we could be looking at another Fall 97 caliber of a tour. Joy is way better than I thought it would be, and I think we have everything to look forward too.

See you in Indio, and I'd start looking for beach houses in South Beach for NYE if I were you.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GOOCHY posted:

Incorrect! Granted, I'm late to the party, but I couldn't be more excited about the fact that I'm spending Halloween in California with three straight days of Phish.

Evasive Maneuvers posted:

The whole second leg of ter was really phenomenal. Leaps and bounds ahead of Hampton in terms of cohesiveness. I do believe with 8 ~> Fall Tour, we could be looking at another Fall 97 caliber of a tour. Joy is way better than I thought it would be, and I think we have everything to look forward too.

I thought that Fenway and Great Woods were great shows until I went to Hartford. So good! Thus far, every time I've been to a show it's been way better than the last one, so I'm hoping that streak continues :)

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I went out and picked up the "Joy" CD today as my vote for Phish to continue on with what they're doing. I admittedly don't usually pick up Phish studio recordings on the release day. They're usually relegated to an afterthought used CD purchase sometime down the line, since I've usually heard all the material in the live recordings.

For those that care, it sounds really good. Unusually "live" for one of their studio albums.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GOOCHY posted:

For those that care, it sounds really good. Unusually "live" for one of their studio albums.

I really like most of the songs on Joy, but I have a bit of trouble getting through Time Turns Elastic - it just feels like it meanders for far too long before the good part kicks in. Number Line/Sugar Shack/Stealing Time/Twenty Years Later are all awesome, which more than makes up for it.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

I really like most of the songs on Joy, but I have a bit of trouble getting through Time Turns Elastic - it just feels like it meanders for far too long before the good part kicks in. Number Line/Sugar Shack/Stealing Time/Twenty Years Later are all awesome, which more than makes up for it.

Yeah, I totally agree on TTE. It's just way too meandering in the middle area. I think it's *the* bathroom break song until they rework the live version to something that works better. From what I've read on other Phish forums that's pretty much the reaction everybody's having to this one.

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 8, 2009

AbandonShip
Dec 25, 2007

GOOCHY posted:

I might be late, but I too give two shits! I can't wait for Halloween - it'll be my first festival. Grew up hearing Phish through my brothers and now they're taking me along for the ride. Have experienced some of the most amazing moments at their shows. Count me in :)

Just remembered about Joy though. Going to go pick that up now.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Anybody figure this one out yet?

On Joy, the Page song is titled 'I Been Around', but when it was debuted in Chicago, they called it 'Windy City'...

Setlist from one of the sickest shows of the summer:

I: Kill Devil Falls, Sample in a Jar, Ocelot, Paul and Silas, Windy City, The Curtain With, Train Song, Gumbo, Heavy Things, Time Turns Elastic

II: Backwards Down The Number Line> Carini***, Gotta Jibboo, Theme from the Bottom, Wilson, Also Sprach Zarathustra> Chalkdust Torture, Harry Hood, The Squirming Coil
E: Loving Cup

*** Number line's type II jam into Carini is loving insane and everyone needs to go find it now

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Windy City is another song that's on "Party Time" the bonus album that's being included with the Joy box set.

Re: Carini - apparently some people had been holding up a banner requesting it the entire show so the band indulged them by playing it. :)

\/\/\/\/\/\/

Then it's mislabeled - they're different songs. If you want a copy of the Windy City MP3 just PM me your email address and I'll send it. I got it yesterday off of iTunes.

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 9, 2009

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

It's definitely the same exact song, listen to the show

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

More and more it's starting to look like the fall tour dates leaked earlier on in the summer are actually true. I've reserved my hotel room for Nov. 20th and 21st in Cincy. Anybody else making plans for this one?

Fall Tour 2009
November 20: US Bank Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
November 21: US Bank Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
November 24: Wachovia Center – Philadelphia, PA
November 25: Wachovia Center – Philadelphia, PA
November 27: Times Union Center – Albany, NY
November 28: Times Union Center – Albany, NY
December 2: Madison Square Garden – New York, NY
December 3: Madison Square Garden – New York, NY
December 4: Madison Square Garden – New York, NY
December 5: John Paul Jones Arena – Charlottesville, VA

Also, NYE in Miami is being passed around as truth, as well.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Party at my house after the spectrum shows.

I heard about Pearl Jam's shows being the 'last performances of the spectrum' though, and they're scheduled to happen before 11/25.

Guess we'll wait and see.

MSG, Spectrum...but no Hampton? What the gently caress?

Also, you're definitely right, Windy City is a completely different song. I guess I heard I've been around at the gorge or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

They announced the set times for Festival 8 today on Phish.com - and an acoustic set?! Sweet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
PHISH TO PLAY FIRST FULL LENGTH ACOUSTIC SET AT FESTIVAL 8 09.24.09
PHISH TO PLAY FIRST FULL LENGTH ACOUSTIC SET AT FESTIVAL 8

We are pleased to announce the performance schedule for Festival 8, which will include Phish's first full-length acoustic set. The set will take place at the crack of noon on Sunday morning. Coffee and donuts will be served.

OFFICIAL FESTIVAL 8 PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE

FRIDAY (10/30)

4:00PM Concert field opens
7:30PM Set 1
10:00PM Set 2

SATURDAY (10/31)

12:00PM Concert field opens
3:00PM Set 1
7:30PM The Halloween Set
10:00PM Set 3

SUNDAY (11/01)

10:00AM Concert field opens