Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I loved it. I'd been itching for some new material and had been disappointed we had not gotten any this year. Looking forward to seeing how it grows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

LordPants posted:

For me it's this overwhelming feeling of Phish laziness. Blah blah blah all down hill since '95 or what ever, but you just get this feeling that maybe they did that so they didn't have to spend the time rehearsing an additional 40+ minutes of material. I just get that feeling, I know it's dumb, but I just do.

edit: Prima Facie I do like the idea of keeping it fresh by not doing a cover album, however.

Or maybe because after a few years of working on new material the band is excited to show it off?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Yeah, I only got here last night and missed the Halloween show, but people seem really really split on whether it was "awesome!" or "terrible :(". My hotelmate played me some songs from the show (Monica, and something about a Wombat) and I thought they crushed it?

I'm roaming the streets of AC looking for adventure, if anyone here wants to meet up they should shoot me a PM.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HKR posted:

Or maybe because after a few years of working on new material the band is excited to show it off?

Most likely, that's probably it. It's the problem with a band like Phish who hit such incredible highs in their career people are going to feel cheated if they're not hitting those highs every time. Last time they did Exile on Main street? Double Album? Pfft! This time they should be playing Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness*. And then after that they should be playing something twice the length of that.

* Was the only album I could think of that was twice as long as Exile off the top of my head in 3 seconds.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 3, 2013

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
They could have handled it better.

That said, Fuego!

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

LordPants posted:

Most likely, that's probably it. It's the problem with a band like Phish who hit such incredible highs in their career people are going to feel cheated if they're not hitting those highs every time. Last time they did Exile on Main street? Double Album? Pfft! This time they should be playing Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness*. And then after that they should be playing something twice the length of that.

* Was the only album I could think of that was twice as long as Exile off the top of my head in 3 seconds.

That annoyed me. If you're covering an album as a special thing; don't pick an album you already cover multiple songs from. Especially when they opened the show with a thriller video. Phish covering MJ or MGMT would have been something special. Phish covering the Stones is every tour.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They should just kick down an old style phish/dead set. And then do Gamehendge.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I think they were hoping to do The lamb Lies down on broadway this year but couldn't pull off the vocals. That's why they wanted to invite Peter Gabriel to sing with them. Not too surprisingly, PG turned them down. He was just finishing up a tour and wouldn't have enough time to rehearse, but said maybe next year, so who knows. PG is a perfectionist, so he probably won't do it unless he can commit a lot of time to rehearsal. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Hey Phish is playing TOMORROW :)

Just picked up two 12/30s from random PTers in Philly, might alspo do 12/29 as a secret no girlfriend show. I wanna see the official photo exhibit too, because like those Asian guys in bittersweet say:

"if you're gonna be a nerd, you might as well go and be a big nerd"

Anyone else?

Edit: posting from Manhattan (12/29) ;)

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 30, 2013

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
omg phish tour rumors

JUST ANNOUNCE DATES PLEASE

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tour dates announced.
http://phish.com/news/phishs-2014-summer-tour-announced/

Phish 2014 Summer Tour

7/1 XFINITY Center, Mansfield, MA

7/3 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY

7/4 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY

7/5 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY

7/8 Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA

7/9 Mann Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, PA

7/11 Randall’s Island, New York, NY

7/12 Randall’s Island, New York, NY

7/13 Randall’s Island, New York, NY

7/15 CMAC, Canandaigua, NY

7/16 DTE Energy Music Theatre, Clarkston, MI

7/18 FirstMerit Bank Pavilion on Northerly Island, Chicago, IL

7/19 FirstMerit Bank Pavilion on Northerly Island, Chicago, IL

7/20 FirstMerit Bank Pavilion on Northerly Island, Chicago, IL

7/25 PNC Music Pavilion, Charlotte, NC

7/26 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD

7/27 Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, MD

7/29 nTelos Wireless Pavilion, Portsmouth, VA

7/30 nTelos Wireless Pavilion, Portsmouth, VA

8/1 The Amphitheater at the Wharf, Orange Beach, AL

8/2 Oak Mountain Amphitheatre, Birmingham, AL

8/3 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park, Alpharetta, GA

8/29 Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO

8/30 Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO

8/31 Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO

bon ape tit
Aug 7, 2011
2 shows in Philly, sweet!

Relix also lists a show on 4/26 at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, not seeing this date pop up anywhere else though :shrug:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

bon ape tit posted:

Relix also lists a show on 4/26 at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, not seeing this date pop up anywhere else though :shrug:

They were on the announced jazz fest line up. They'll probably only get one set though.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
As a massive Phish fan I avoid this thread like the plague because I don't like to be reminded that I'll probably only make it to one or two shows on the next tour. Probably hit the Mansfield show, maybe one or two of the Saratogas. I like to think being there for New Year's should be enough to satiate my thirst for jam but alas I'm jonesing again. Did anyone else catch the home stretch in Madison Square? I loved it but I'm pretty easy to please I think so it'd be great to hear from some Phish fans on SA.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I'll definitely hit up Charlotte, and possibly the Alabama shows and Alpharetta. They always kill it in the South.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

NiceGuy posted:

As a massive Phish fan I avoid this thread like the plague because I don't like to be reminded that I'll probably only make it to one or two shows on the next tour. Probably hit the Mansfield show, maybe one or two of the Saratogas. I like to think being there for New Year's should be enough to satiate my thirst for jam but alas I'm jonesing again. Did anyone else catch the home stretch in Madison Square? I loved it but I'm pretty easy to please I think so it'd be great to hear from some Phish fans on SA.

I went 12/29 and 12/30.

Carini was awesome...definitely my biggest highlight - that's on the iTunes rotation now. Lots of the new songs were cool, too. Although, I was at Halloween so that wasn't my first Wombat.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Doing two nights at Merriweather, which is my standard

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

Ungratek posted:

Doing two nights at Merriweather, which is my standard

Same here - skipping Chicago which is just a couple hours away for me. I'll fly out to Maryland and visit family/see shows at Merriweather instead of paying out the rear for hotels and whatnot in Chicago. If they were playing Alpine I'd be up there in a heartbeat. No desire to see them in the city. Hell, I'd rather see them at Toyota Park outside of Chicago again than go into the city.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

If you're gonna do MPP go for Portsmouth, the best 3.0 Phish venue...

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Elephunk posted:

If you're gonna do MPP go for Portsmouth, the best 3.0 Phish venue...

I love the UFO as much as anyone, but it's a Tues/Wed split and MPP is a Sat/Sun. I can also shuttle to MPP each day so I don't have to get a hotel or anything. Adult problems getting in the way =/

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
Both nights of Mann (lawns first night, pavs second night), Both nights of merriweather, both nights of Portsmouth. Gonna try for Randall's island, and an outside shot at Mansfield>Spac.

I've read you can take a ferry from Portsmouth to Norfolk, anyone with experience on that front? And recommendations of spots in Norfolk? I got one night for me and my lady at the Gov. Dinwiddle, but not the second show.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

cereal eater posted:

Both nights of Mann (lawns first night, pavs second night), Both nights of merriweather, both nights of Portsmouth. Gonna try for Randall's island, and an outside shot at Mansfield>Spac.

I've read you can take a ferry from Portsmouth to Norfolk, anyone with experience on that front? And recommendations of spots in Norfolk? I got one night for me and my lady at the Gov. Dinwiddle, but not the second show.

Portsmouth is the best 3.0 venue. By far. I am more excited to go back to Portsmouth than go to the Mann.

We *Always* stay in Norfolk - the ferry is no big deal, you don't have to leave at the encore to catch the ferry.

You usually don't want to leave right away because that Shakedown rages. The Vendor row stays open for a good time after the show, and it never felt like anyone kicked us out before 2AM - if ever. I'm pretty sure the vendors just sleep in the lot.

If you do miss the ferry, a cab ride across the bridge is not expensive. Cabs are easy to find, so even if you don't stay on the Norfolk waterfront you can get a ride back to the show for ~20 bucks.

Venue is great, you can walk up to the stage at any point you would like. 6,000 capacity. All tickets are GA. You have to come in early for a rail spot but you can be 2-5 rows behind the rail and walk in at 7pm no problem. We also got a wine bottle past security once so there's that too.

I have stayed on the waterfront in Norfolk twice. Any Waterfront hotel is awesome, anything downtown in Norfolk is easy to get to as well. I have *never* stayed in Portsmouth; so I really have no idea how you are gonna fare at Dinwiddle's. Last time the waterfront was too booked and we stayed somewhere near the military stuff in Norfolk that wasn't a far cab ride away. This group of southern phans convinced management to let them park their SUV on the lawn all night and we made friends. Brought out blankets and listened to Dead tapes until the sun came up :lsd: . I have never spent good money on a nice hotel room and chose to sleep outside on the lawn before. Phish.

So yeah, Portsmouth is awesome.

I need MPP and Mann tickets. *puts finger in air*

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 31, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I got Fuego in the mail today. Kinda excited to hear what Bob Ezrin did with them. Cool art, at least.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Here's more art by the same guy. They are oil paintings! http://www.richardhellergallery.com/dynamic/artwork_display.asp?ArtworkID=2221

"Hyper-Realism".

So excited for the circus to come to town in two weeks.

SPAC -> Mann, MPP->Portsmouth, Dick's :)

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I'm playing a gamehendge compilation right now with lots of live stuff and narrations on my college radio station. If you miss it it you can hear it in the archives. Click schedule and click the little sound icons from Sunday 3 am on.

http://wusb.fm

Edit:

Looks like the polka guy came in early and cut it off. I'm going to try and play it again later in the week. It's tough to find an uninterrupted 3 hour block though.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 29, 2014

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

BigFactory posted:

I got Fuego in the mail today. Kinda excited to hear what Bob Ezrin did with them. Cool art, at least.

I can't stop listening to Fuego. The story of The Line is really cool, too. http://phish.net/song/the-line/history

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Gianthogweed posted:

I'm playing a gamehendge compilation right now with lots of live stuff and narrations on my college radio station. If you miss it it you can hear it in the archives. Click schedule and click the little sound icons from Sunday 3 am on.

http://wusb.fm

Edit:

Looks like the polka guy came in early and cut it off. I'm going to try and play it again later in the week. It's tough to find an uninterrupted 3 hour block though.

Airing it again, hopefully this time it won't get interrupted.

You can download the archived show from the schedule listings.

It gets replaced after a week though.

Edit:

I'll be airing it one more time at 2:30 this afternoon (July 3rd Eastern time US). Tune in to http://wusb.fm It's going to be slightly shorter because I only have 2 and a half hours, but mostly the same the deal, I'll be doing most of the narrations, with Trey doing a few here and there.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 3, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Airing Gamehendge on my college radio station in a few mins. http://wusb.fm
edith: here's the full show for those who missed it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp2p8stjokvzzql/Gamehendge%20%28July%204th%20Edition%20With%20Narrations%29.zip

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 4, 2014

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
So are they doing a fall tour or what? If they don't hit the west coast this year I won't be able to see them. Was gonna try to make Dick's, but have to go to a distant in-law's wedding in VA instead.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Phish performing Waiting all Night and Fuego on Jimmy Fallon.

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/segments/8356

Reminds me of the late 60s early 70s Beach Boys a bit. Nice tune.

http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2014/07/15/watch-phish-jimmy-fallon/92010/

Good song, but I feel like this one works better when they extend the jam live in concert and they have the energy of the crowd to draw on. It kind of fell a bit flat here.

Overall, I'm digging the new album. I think it's my favorite since Farmhouse. Their vocals sound really good, maybe their best yet on a studio album, then again they seem to change things up differently vocally on each studio album which is always pretty cool. Personally I don't think they'll ever be able to top their first four officially released studio albums (Junta, Lawn Boy, Nectar, Rift) since those were the albums that I listened to religiously as a kid when I first started getting into Phish, but they still have a few surprises up their sleeve. Oh and, Randall's Island was awesome.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 15, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Billy breathes is the only studio album I ever really find myself listening to. I think that's their best.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Billy breathes is the only studio album I ever really find myself listening to. I think that's their best.

It's definitely one of their best, but I always felt the bass was way too high on that album, and I always felt Trey sung way too softly on most of it. Still, it's one of their most accessible albums and most successful albums so who am I to judge.

You can probably break the Phish studio recordings into four different periods.

Early Phish is 1985-88 and Includes:

The White Tape - Recorded 1985-1986
The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday - 1987
Union Federal and the Oh Kee Pah Ceromonies (Bonus Tracks on Junta) - 1985-1988

This is the more experimental Phish. They were still finding their feet and the recordings had a bit of a Frank Zappa / Brian Wilson Smile vibe to it. Their sense of humor was strange to say the least. It wasn't quite Frank Zappa, it wasn't as dark as early Genesis. It was ... well, goofy, but there was an intelligence to it all the same. As for the music, well there was a lot of free form stuff, and even a concept album with a title so long that even the acronym is a chore to type (tmwsiy is frequently referred to as gamehendge). Since they weren't signed to a record label, Phish recorded this stuff themselves so the recording quality is all over the place. Their often recorded lengthy practice sessions, or Oh Kee Pah Ceremonies, would make way for the next era ...

Progressive Phish 1988-1993:

Junta - 1988
Lawn Boy - 1990
A Picture of Nectar - 1991
Rift - 1993

This is my favorite era. They were at the top of their game musically at this point and they had just gotten a recording contract. Even though they were a jam band, a lot of their "jams" were actually composed pieces. These lengthy "epics" were reminiscent of the progressive rock of the 70s a la Genesis and Yes, with complex instrumental arrangements that incorporated elements of jazz, classical and many other styles of music. They were also adding more pieces to their earlier gamehendge concept sprinkled throughout their impressive live performances and albums as their cult following grew sizeably. And they did it all with that strange, dark and downright goofy sense of humor that Phish was known for. But, at heart, they were still a jam band, and the jams came through in the studio just as much as it did live. Rift, their next and final concept album, would probably be the most progressive of their careers, but was also turning point for them. Phish were beginning to shift away from the lengthy prog epics and instead were trying to record shorter and more accessible songs. They wanted a hit ...

Popular Phish 1994-2000:

Hoist - 1994
Billy Breathes -1996
The Story of the Ghost - 1998
The Siket Disc - 1999
Farmhouse - 2000

Phish had had a minor hit with Chalkdust Torture in 1991. Rift had several shorter songs like Fast Enough For You and The Wedge that they released as singles, but it wasn't until Hoist that they really went the whole MTV hit singles route. They decided to keep the songs short on the records and extend them in live jams instead. The strategy worked. Down With Disease and Sample in a Jar were both hits and Hoist was their best selling album yet. The albums during this era are probably the most accessible Phish albums of all, and Billy Breathes is often regarded as their best. This was Phish's most successful period, both for record sales and in ticket sales. They had become the most successful touring band in the world. But what was sacrificed for accessibility? Well the goofy humor was toned down a lot (although you still had songs like Scent of Mule) the lengthy prog epics were fewer (although you still had songs like Guyute) and a lot of the complex instrumental jams were shortened (but you still had songs like first tube). So, Phish was still Phish, just more accessible (with the exception of the Siket Disc - a post rock free form jam album). And in concert Phish was better than ever, quite possibly the best live band of all time. By the end of 2000 it seemed that Phish had reached such great heights that there was nowhere they could go but downhill. Trey thought it was in the band's best interest to break up and try different projects for awhile. So that's what they did, and we reached a new turning point...

Post Breakup Phish 2002-Present

Round Room 2002
The Victor Disc 2002
Undermind 2004
Joy 2009
Fuego 2014

Now I know that the Phish break up in 2000 was brief and, on the surface looks rather insignificant in comparison to the one in 2004 which lasted five years, and from a touring standpoint the 2004 breakup probably is more significant. But, I would argue, that from a creative standpoint, the 2000 breakpoint was more significant. By 2000 the band had, admittedly, reached their peak. Up to that point they were young men who were trying to prove something. After 2000 they had nothing to prove. They were proven. Now they were middle aged men with families of their own. It was time to slow down a bit, experiment with other projects and take a break from Phish here and there. Phish wasn't a spent force by a long stretch, there were still some great things to be done with them, and they still had great chemistry together and were still great friends. The albums of this post breakup period reflect this. Great songs, nothing too pretentious, nothing too edgy, nothing too crazy, just four guys having a great time making music together. The albums are a more relaxed and there's a longer space between the releases. The guys have families that they want to spend more time with, but it's clear they still get along great together and can't go too many years without getting the band together for another tour. Still, they take frequent breaks from each other so they can try new things out with other musicians too. There's less pressure on them to constantly tour and release albums each year. People have compared Phish to Grateful Dead a lot and I never thought they sounded much like them other than them both being jam bands (yes I know Phish was influenced by them, but GD is just of many influences on them), but on these albums I can definitely see some similarities. There's a laid back quality to these albums that definitely is reminiscent of the dead, especially on a song like Devotion to a Dream. They're having more fun with the vocal arrangements too. Some really chill stuff in this era, I can dig it.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 16, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I'm not even a huge phish fan but billy breathes is one of a real handful of rock albums where I never want to skip a track. Even the small songs like taste and train song really work. I'm more of a prog fan than a jam band fan, so I love the long form composed stuff, but I don't think any of those earlier albums work as well or sound as put together as billy breathes. It deserved to be a (minor) hit I think.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Junta is my all-time favorite album. I went to SPAC Saturday night last week and they played You Enjoy Myself, Divided Sky, Foam, David Bowie, and Fluffhead - easily an hour of songs from Junta. It might be my favorite setlist I've ever seen them play.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Never miss a Sunday show, huh?

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Bombtrack posted:

Never miss a Sunday show, huh?

Gimmicky but still a really fun show. That Ghost from night 1 should not be forgotten because of the slapstick!

Leaving for Portsmouth in the morning; wound up driving home from MPP after the show last night to Philly to handle real life (piano lessons put some lot cash in my pocket).

Good plan until there was a loving hurricane and we almost died and should have stopped driving. That storm system was serious.

Great show, but so was night 1. Love these guys.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Was there last night and it was really great. Love that they are giant dorks at heart

And I never say no to a Slave to the Traffic Light

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Still digging on the wedge from norther night 3, loving awesome.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not going to lie, been enjoying some of these shows. I didn't really feel it at times last year but been enjoying this year. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I enjoyed the Charlotte show this year, even if traffic is consistently awful. The Chalkdust -> Fuego -> Twist -> Circus was incredible.

• Locked thread