Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

The Phish Twitter feed just reported that Buried Alive ended the second set... :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Pretty standard first set, The Gambler, Possum and Tweezer aside.

Lotta songs being repeated from the Worcester run, though.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

So, in case any of you were debating whether or not to get the stream for the remaining NYE shows, here's last night's Wolfman's Brother making a case for doing so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVz8gP4q5ow

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

HKR posted:

Guys guys, this second set.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this is great

Sorry, you and Riosan are the only ones. :colbert:

(Holy poo poo, that Carini was loving awesome.)

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Well poo poo, I'd watch that. :colbert:

(I actually really like Alaska, but it got the reputation of being a set killer for a reason. I think Dick's 1 2012 is the only time it's really fit into a set, and even then you could make a case that the songs around it kept that set afloat.)

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

That's just a Ricky Nelson cover.

Not a bad little warm-up set. Alaska didn't kill the energy too much (though that solo section was a bit flaccid), and Weekapaug got really interesting.

And now they're playing golf on the stream!

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Barbershop Lawn Boy.

:stare:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Iron Man was such a surprise that it hid the pun of using a song called Driver to start the encore.

Dear god, the puns.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

The puns went deeper than I thought. The whole third set after Tweeprise was golf related puns. (Sand, Wedge, Eagle.)

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

To elaborate:

In between the sets, we had some dudes in golf carts drive up to the top of the stage (which was covered in plant life, complete with grass atop Page's baby grand) and hit (or throw) golf balls into the audience. During the break between the second and third sets, Page, Mike, and Trey came out and started driving balls themselves. (Poorly, as noted. I was afraid they were going to drive a ball right between some poor sap's eyes.)

After a few moments, Fish comes out on another golf cart, dressed in a- actually, a picture is worth a thousand words, so have one:

Yes, that is Fish's trademark mumu pattern on the sleeves.

So, after a lengthy Party Time to open the set, Phish launches into Kung, Trey uses one of the irons as a slide, and the golf carts start driving across the darkened stage ominously. As the band launches into Chalkdust, the karts start doing synchronized stunts in between the verses and during the chorus. By the jam section, the karts have started to off-load a hoard of golfers, who all start launching golf balls into the crowd. (They seem to be slightly better at it then Phish were, all things considered.)

As Chalkdust crashes to a halt (to put it generously), one of the golfers climbed up on top of one of the karts with a megaphone, and counts off the new year. Auld Lang Syne hits, balloons and golf balls fall from the ceiling, and pandemonium breaks loose. The stage is flooded with crazy dancing golfers, runaway golf carts, and countless numbers of golf balls and balloons. Oh, and four singers who came out to assist on Tweeprise (complete with umbrellas to avoid the massed golf ball onslaught. Like I said, mass pandemonium.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Confirmed. New song is called "Yarmouth Road." Lyrics and music by Mike, apparently.

Sadly, I'm a bit too poor to go to the Chicago show, though. :sigh:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

...And today's Chicago show got rained out. Thanks Chicago weather!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

2014 was a really good year for Chalkdust Torture and Harry Hood, so you could pick any version of those songs without worry. Fuego got a few good rides in early summer. You should probably listen to the Light and Tweezer that followed the version of Chalkdust you linked, if you haven't yet. The third night of the Northerly Island run had a great version of The Wedge.

As far as full shows go, listen to 07/27 at Merriweather for a set that almost seems straight out of 1994, and the Halloween show, which is probably the best all around show of the year, and possibly one of the best shows Phish has done period. (Find a video of the second set, if you can).

• Locked thread