Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I'm really happy to see a good Phish community here. I started listening to Phish after their reunion in 09 and missed them a few times in the last few years. Almost caught their Charlotte '10 show (Carini > gently caress Your Face > 2001 > YEM! Holy poo poo!) but couldn't get a ticket. Finally caught my first show this last summer in Charlotte (Colonel Forbin's and Icculus in the same show :byodood:), and I can't wait for them to announce a new tour. I'm planning on following them if they come to Charlotte, Raleigh, or Greensboro again this year and I'm getting nervous they won't announce summer dates.

I'm listening to IT and Super Ball for the first time, and people weren't lying when they said that these long soundchecks and late night jams kicked rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

But then I went to the Essex flood relief show in September. I don't know if it's that I've been going to too many shows or what, but the whole show just felt predictable. I looked it up - they played eleven songs that I've seen at least eight times, and I've only really been catching shows since 2009 (thirty in all). When they opened with Chalkdust, I said "20 bucks says Moma Dance is next" and was right. I've now seen Possum at almost half of the shows I've been to. Once I saw how tough New Year's tickets were, I had to take a long hard look and admit that I didn't think it was worth the effort to fight to get to MSG.

I'm not saying they need to go back to the 30-minute-jam-every-song days, but I do think that the two things that drew me to Phish in the first place was originality and unpredictability. The storage jam had both of these, but a lot of their recent stuff, in my opinion, hasn't.

In their defense, most people suspected they were going to phone it in at the flood relief show considering it was announced only a week or two in advance. They definitely need to shelve Possum for a long time though, it was played (almost literally) at every other show in 2011.

They had a few absolutely incredible jams in 2011 (Storage Jam, Waves at Bethel Soundcheck, Tweezer > No Quarter from PNC and then DWD > No Quarter at Superball, Rock And Roll -> Meatstick -> Boogie On from the Gorge), but unfortunately those are few and far between in 3.0. Maybe Trey just decided he likes playing more songs as a whole during the shows and is only going to stick to moderate jams now.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Slackerish posted:

Summer tour dates announced: http://www.facebook.com/notes/phish/announcing-phishs-2012-summer-tour/10151351724325374

Nowhere near NC except VA kinda, but none of my friends in that area have any interest in Phish ;__;

Fellow NC phan here. Disappointed that there's no Southeast dates, but they did say in the press release that they would be announcing new tour dates throughout the spring.

And I'm not going to drive to Bonnaroo or Portsmouth.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

I'm a sucker for funny Fluffhead signs. :haw:

I hear rumors for Leg 2 that they'll hit up more of the Southeast (Alpharetta, Charlotte, Miami) in August and September, but take that with a hefty hefty grain of salt.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I will never get tired of seeing Fishman eat food :allears:

8/15/12 Long Beach Arena Long Beach, CA
8/17/12 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium San Francisco, CA
8/18/12 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium San Francisco, CA
8/19/12 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium San Francisco, CA
8/22/12 Starlight Theatre Kansas City, MO
8/24/12 Oak Mountain Amphitheatre Birmingham, AL
8/25/12 Aarons Amphitheatre at Lakewood Atlanta, GA
8/26/12 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Charlotte, NC
8/28/12 Chaifetz Arena St. Louis, MO
8/29/12 Zoo Amphitheatre Oklahoma City, OK
8/31/12 Dick's Sporting Goods Park** Commerce City, CO
9/1/12 Dick's Sporting Goods Park** Commerce City, CO
9/2/12 Dick's Sporting Goods Park** Commerce City, CO

I put in a request for a Charlotte ticket, very happy that's on a Sunday so I don't have to miss classes. As always, tickets can be requested here.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 10, 2012

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Got my Charlotte ticket. :haw:

Now all I need to do is convince strangers on the Internet to give me a ride. :saddowns:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Live Bait Volume 7 came out yesterday for free! Go pick it up.

1. Wilson > Buried Alive > Tweezer (12/28/95 Worcester Centrum Centre - Worcester, MA)
2. Stash (10/31/10 Boardwalk Hall – Atlantic City, NJ)
3. Split Open And Melt (12/4/99 Firstar Center – Cincinnati, OH)
4. You Enjoy Myself (7/31/92 Blossom Music Center – Cuyahoga Falls, OH)
5. Runaway Jim (8/11/98 Star Lake Amphitheatre – Burgettstown, PA)
6. Reba (8/10/96 Alpine Valley Music Theatre – East Troy, WI)
7. Gumbo (8/3/98 Deer Creek Music Center – Noblesville, IN)
8. All Things Reconsidered, David Bowie (7/27/92 Saratoga Performing Arts Center – Saratoga Springs, NY)

Page is fantastic during Buried Alive, and the Stash is super happy. That Melt is incredible, coming from someone who really doesn't care for Melt.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

CalvinDooglas posted:

Outside of that, can anyone recommend a good source for streaming Phish shows other than Nugs.net? I'm getting a bit tired of the recordings I already own.

phishows.com

Stream, or download, most every show, either individually or all together. All audience recordings, except for the very early 80's soundboards.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

weedisgood posted:

but i was wondering what you guys think they will open with? Maybe a Harpua? That would be sick!

Alaska > Velvet Sea opener. :buddy: I'm hoping for a nice long Runaway Jim.

HKR posted:

Hoping for a Harpua means you won't get a Harpua.

And also this. Same for Icculus.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I sort of got it right. Buried Alive > Runaway Jim as the tour opener!

No stream yet that I know of, but the live set is updated on Reddit's r/phish site or at @bizarchive (with notes on teases, etc), or from @Phish_FTR (official, no notes).

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
:ssh: I'm not saying there's a stream, but... :ssh:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I want to have sex with that Ghost -> Boogie On. If I Could and Beauty of a Broken Heart were pleasant surprises as well.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

NuclearPotato posted:

The Phish Twitter feed just reported that Buried Alive ended the second set... :psyduck:

Yes, Trey briefly thanked the audience after Cavern, then teased Buried Alive in a higher key. Then the band played about a 30 second reprise in that key.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Hilarious.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Phish: A 10 minute one-note bath salt experience that never ends

I haven't listened to the Bonnaroo set, but looking at the setlist gives me a hardon, specifically Carini -> Shafty. Not so sure about a 10 minute Alaska > a 9 minute Hood though.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 11, 2012

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Slackerish posted:

I love Alaska. On the other hand, they could never play loving Show of Life again and I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep

I think Show of Life works best in the TAB setting with the horns, but I can't be the only one that thinks they need more encore songs. Loving Cup, Tweeprise, (and less now) Show of Life. Over and over and over and over again. Please give me a raging Julius, Possum, or Mound to send me packing.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I guess it's true, nothing really ever is shelved when it comes to Phish. I'm calling it, a second Burning Down The House or Houses in Motion for Charlotte.

EDIT: In case nobody caught the Sirius From The Archives broadcasts at SPAC, they've been uploaded online in 2 segments.

First and Second

Halley's Comet (12/7/99 Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, ME)
Tweezer 4/21/92 Redwood Acres Fairgrounds, Eureka, CA)
David Bowie -> Johnny B. Goode -> David Bowie (7/3/95 Summer Stage at Sugarbush, North Fayston, VT)
Ghost (7/1/97 Paradiso, Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Timber (Jerry) (11/30/96 ARCO Arena, Sacremento, CA)
Split Open and Melt (8/12/93 Meadow Brook Music Festival, Rochester Hills, MI)

Mike's Song -> Low Rider -> Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove (7/10/94 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY)
Boogie On Reggae Woman (9/18/99 Coors Amphitheater, Chula Vista, CA)
Maze (10/18/96 Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA)
Flat Fee (7/20/91 Arrowhead Ranch, Parksville, NY)
Colonel Forbin's Ascent -> Fly Famous Mockingbird (8/7/93 Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Darien Center, NY)
You Enjoy Myself (6/26/95 Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY)
In A Hole (12/9/89 Huden Dining Hall, Castleton College, Castleton, VT)
Bug (12/31/99 Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation, Big Cypress, FL)

if this is questionable, legally speaking, let me know and I'll take it down :ohdear:

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 9, 2012

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Very important day for Phish phans. Tomorrow starts leg 2, 10 years ago they announced the end of the first 1.0 hiatus, and 8 years ago was Coventry. In other news, Trey fall tickets have begun appearing on Ticketmaster, the San Francisco shows will be webcasted and Live Bait 8 is out. See you all in Charlotte!

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > The Phish Thread - Justin Bieber in Audience means 25 minute jams

Yes apparently J Beebs is actually a phan and was at Long Beach last night with Selena Gomez.

and also a 25 minute rock n roll > ghost which you should probably check out

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Slackerish posted:

Kinda glad I didn't go to the Charlotte show last night. They opened with AC/DC Bag and closed with Tweezer Reprise which is the exact same opening/close they had when I saw them last summer in Maryland. In fact, I'd already seen most of the songs they played live, and the ones I hadn't I'm not losing much sleep over.

I disagree, the Charlotte show was pure fire from almost beginning to end. (I still don't like Ocelot or Tube) Funky Bitch was awesome, Fluffhead's Bundle of Joy segment was evil, and the segue from Crosseyed > McGrupp was great. The great banter was enjoyable too. Definite high point for me was the Tweezer > Hood, I need to relisten to that. BBFCFM was really unexpected as well, especially in the encore.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
IIRC a few months ago, My Morning Jacket said on Twitter that Phish had booked MSG for the next 4 years. It's not too far fetched they'd come back again this year, but the next 3 after that this far in advance?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Wolfman's tonight, holy poo poo. A full Little Drummer Boy verse/jam right in the middle, and then a full outro jam after it came back into Wolfman's proper. Jesus.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Set 2 was insanely good. 6 songs, 3 of which clocked at around or over 15 minutes. Highlights: Tweezer, Theme -> Fluffhead, Bowie.

YEMSG :buddy:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
12/29/12

Set 1: Crowd Control, Mound, AC/DC Bag > Rock and Roll, Sugar Shack, Reba, Halley's Comet > Limb By Limb[1], Wading in the Velvet Sea, Bathtub Gin[2]

Set 2: Golden Age > Waves > Prince Caspian[3] > Boogie On Reggae Woman > Suzy Greenberg > Bug > Cavern > 46 Days

Encore: The Squirming Coil, Grind, First Tube

Not as good as last night, but I enjoyed Coil, Grind, the slightly sped up 46 Days, and the ambient Golden Age > Waves jam. Just wish there was more of it. Boogie On is also worth checking out, even if it got aborted in favor of Suzy. I also wish that PT didn't poo poo up the good stream.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
12/30/12

Set 1: Runaway Jim, Cities > Divided Sky, Back on the Train, Ride Captain Ride, Ocelot, Ya Mar, Horn, My Friend, My Friend[1] > Run Like an Antelope

Set 2: Down with Disease[2] > Twenty Years Later > Carini > Backwards Down the Number Line > Julius > Slave to the Traffic Light[3]

Encore: Harry Hood > Show of Life

SET 2 WAS SICK. LISTEN TO IT. The second 6-song set in 3 days, featuring the darkest Carini ever and one of the hardest Zeppelin-esque rocking Diseases I can remember. Divided Sky was really good too, so was Myfe.

It doesn't top 12/30/98 for me, but they were still really good tonight. Concerning 12/29, some bands just have off nights. :shrug:

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 31, 2012

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

HKR posted:

They got a lot of songs out of the way that I didn't want to hear on NYE so far (Number Line, Ocelot, Show of Life) but that means we have a chance to get Alaska tomorrow :cry:

Possum > Alaska > Farmhouse > Frankie Says > Joy :downs:

I'd really like to stream the show tomorrow night, but my family demands I spend NYE with them. :goonsay:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Sucks I missed the 31st stream, seems like it was one of the best NYE shows in years and years. Can someone describe the whole golf cart ball drop gag? Something with them shooting golf balls into the audience?

220 songs played this year. :buddy:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
No south love. :(

I'll definitely be hitting up the two Georgia dates, staying with my cousin in Atlanta.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

2.0 gets poo poo on (and for good reason), but the entire IT festival and 6/19/04 are pure gold, and the IT Waves is one of the greatest jams they've ever played.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I got floor tickets the second night in Alpharetta. I'm struggling to contain my excitement. :dance:

For fans of Mike Gordon, he released another one of his solo gigs for free on LivePhish. Seriously, go get it. He has another 2 shows that you can pick up for free, iirc. Anything that involves a 10+ minute Mound and a cover of Beck's Black Tambourine is fine by me.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Live Bait Vol. 09 is out

Foam 11/2/94 Bangor, ME
A Song I Heard The Ocean Sing 6/19/04 Saratoga Springs, NY
The Moma Dance 7/6/00 Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
Split Open And Melt > Kung > Jam 7/15/99 Holmdel, NJ
Mike’s Song > Twist > Weekapaug Groove 7/9/99 Columbia, MD
David Bowie 6/15/95 Atlanta, GA
AC/DC Bag > Ghost 11/7/98 UIC Pavilion – Chicago, IL
Tube > Slave To The Traffic Light 7/16/98 George, WA
Undermind 8/31/12 Commerce City, CO

The ASIHTOS is incredible, and a personal highlight of 2.0. Haven't had the chance to listen to the others yet, but I love a 25 minute Bowie.

GOOCHY posted:

Who's doing shows this tour? Let me live vicariously through you.

I'm doing both nights in Alpharetta.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

numbs posted:

Just went to their concert in Alpharetta at the Verizon Ampitheatre. First concert I've been to of theirs. I was thoroughly impressed.

Both nights were incredible. Brought my old man who had a great time. Great second sets both nights, and the Antelope and Guyute were both sick.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

bon ape tit posted:

Last night, Phish opened their second set with a 36 minute Tweezer.

Tweezer 7/31/13 Stateline, NV

It's the real deal. This is a legacy-defining jam that will surely be talked about for a very, very long time. Holy poo poo that Tweezer..

According to @bizarchive, this was the 8th longest jam they've ever played, beaten out by stuff like the Fleezer, the IT 46 Days, the Halloween 95 YEM, and the Wooster 97 Runaway Jim suite.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

This is spectacular. I listened to it on repeat pretty much all morning.

I just found out we (at the Gorge) were one night off of Velvet Sea, Cities and Bathtub Gin at Tahoe. I KNEW we should have quit our jobs and gone right there. I'm very disappointed in myself. I'm never ever ever going to get a Velvet Sea. Boo.

This is how I feel with Slave to the Traffic Light. :smith: I've seen Icculus, Big Black Furry Creatures and Forbin's, but no Slave.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

LordPants posted:

To be fair, wasn't that the reaction for Remain in Light? A bunch of songs no one had heard before, hence the Dark Side show a few shows later?

They've always done weird poo poo for Halloween. The Remain in Light closer Overload is the single weirdest...thing they've ever done, and they did a 3 song third set in 1998, with Trey basically walking off the stage afterward.

I haven't listened to the set, but how bad could new Phish songs possibly be? Ironically, I'm glad there are people complaining that we get new Phish tunes rather than complaining over how they didn't completely destroy Eat a Peach or Lamb Lies Down on Broadway or whatever.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I'll definitely hit up Charlotte, and possibly the Alabama shows and Alpharetta. They always kill it in the South.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I enjoyed the Charlotte show this year, even if traffic is consistently awful. The Chalkdust -> Fuego -> Twist -> Circus was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

elentar posted:

Hard to argue with a free, high quality livecast, but been a bit of a mess tonight. Restless Trey syndrome.

The ripcord after Chalkdust was weak, but the songs themselves have been great. I'll definitely have to come back to the CDT jam and Light > Hood.

E: Hood was spectacular. So is First Tube.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 4, 2014

• Locked thread