Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
It was awesome seeing two of my favorite bands on the same stage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHV1TAwujds

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Ungratek posted:

Bringing this thread back on to page 1: Phish have all but confirmed a festival at Watkins Glen for the 4th of July weekend. Good to see the fest return east.

$200 a ticket is the rumor, 8 sets

I'm going to try and make it to this. I was an unemployed sod during their last tour and I've only seen them in 1993 and 1994 if you can believe that (haven't seen them since). It'd be so cool to see them again now that I'm older and fatter.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 10, 2011

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

I streamed last night's show, although, to be honest, I was only half watching because I was busy partying with the fam. What I saw was great though. They played Steam to the countdown, and as midnight approached random objects, including Fishman's vacuum and some girl in the audience was lifted off the ground on a rope thing and she started dancing in the air. Later random audience members (though I'm sure they weren't really "random") started flying through the air on similar ropes with little fake jetpacks. It got pretty crazy as all these things and people were flying around the audience and stage dancing with lots of balloons falling and then the band started being lifted on these tiny platforms way up towards the ceiling as the countdown to began and they went into another glorious rendition of Ald Lang Syne. It was a lot of fun to watch, definitely, but I don't think they will ever top Meatstick from last year.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 1, 2012

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

My first Phish show was at the New Haven Colloseum on December 2, 1995. They played one of the best Tweezers I've ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yZ_cwMSmP4

At that point in my life I was a goody-two-shoes junior in high school who loved studio Phish but didn't really have access to any live recordings. I had a great time at the show but didn't really meet anyone or feel like I fit in since I still had it ingrained in me that Drugs Are Bad. I still remember that I heard Possum for the first time and thought it was amazing - little did I know they'd proceed to play it every other show I went to years down the road.

I didn't actually get to my second show until 2009 at Fenway Park - a 14 year gap between shows! At that point I had been listening almost exclusively to live Phish shows for a few years and was a total Phish encyclopedia at that point :) Unlike my first show, I completely felt like I fit in, and I've been catching as many shows as I feasibly could ever since.

This story is very similar to mine. My first Phish show was in 1994. At the time I had only heard the studio albums so I was really surprised when a bunch of fans started singing along to songs that weren't on the CDs I had been listening to incessantly for the previous two years. I was blown away and endeavered to hear as much that I had missed out on as possible. I saw them again a year later, after having traded some tapes and heard some live shows, but still unfamiliar with a good chunk of some of the material.

I didn't see them for almost 15 years after that. But in that time had, due to the wonders of the internet and the live phish releases, I managed to really brush up on all the stuff I missed and finally felt like a phishhead when I finally saw them again in 2010.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Saw both Jones Beach shows. This is the first time I've seen them since 1995! They sounded as great as they've ever sounded. Both shows were flawless. The Antelope jam from last night may have been the best I've ever heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDVYUwMV2RY

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

I think they were hoping to do The lamb Lies down on broadway this year but couldn't pull off the vocals. That's why they wanted to invite Peter Gabriel to sing with them. Not too surprisingly, PG turned them down. He was just finishing up a tour and wouldn't have enough time to rehearse, but said maybe next year, so who knows. PG is a perfectionist, so he probably won't do it unless he can commit a lot of time to rehearsal. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

I'm playing a gamehendge compilation right now with lots of live stuff and narrations on my college radio station. If you miss it it you can hear it in the archives. Click schedule and click the little sound icons from Sunday 3 am on.

http://wusb.fm

Edit:

Looks like the polka guy came in early and cut it off. I'm going to try and play it again later in the week. It's tough to find an uninterrupted 3 hour block though.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jun 29, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Gianthogweed posted:

I'm playing a gamehendge compilation right now with lots of live stuff and narrations on my college radio station. If you miss it it you can hear it in the archives. Click schedule and click the little sound icons from Sunday 3 am on.

http://wusb.fm

Edit:

Looks like the polka guy came in early and cut it off. I'm going to try and play it again later in the week. It's tough to find an uninterrupted 3 hour block though.

Airing it again, hopefully this time it won't get interrupted.

You can download the archived show from the schedule listings.

It gets replaced after a week though.

Edit:

I'll be airing it one more time at 2:30 this afternoon (July 3rd Eastern time US). Tune in to http://wusb.fm It's going to be slightly shorter because I only have 2 and a half hours, but mostly the same the deal, I'll be doing most of the narrations, with Trey doing a few here and there.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 3, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Airing Gamehendge on my college radio station in a few mins. http://wusb.fm
edith: here's the full show for those who missed it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp2p8stjokvzzql/Gamehendge%20%28July%204th%20Edition%20With%20Narrations%29.zip

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 4, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Phish performing Waiting all Night and Fuego on Jimmy Fallon.

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/segments/8356

Reminds me of the late 60s early 70s Beach Boys a bit. Nice tune.

http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2014/07/15/watch-phish-jimmy-fallon/92010/

Good song, but I feel like this one works better when they extend the jam live in concert and they have the energy of the crowd to draw on. It kind of fell a bit flat here.

Overall, I'm digging the new album. I think it's my favorite since Farmhouse. Their vocals sound really good, maybe their best yet on a studio album, then again they seem to change things up differently vocally on each studio album which is always pretty cool. Personally I don't think they'll ever be able to top their first four officially released studio albums (Junta, Lawn Boy, Nectar, Rift) since those were the albums that I listened to religiously as a kid when I first started getting into Phish, but they still have a few surprises up their sleeve. Oh and, Randall's Island was awesome.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 15, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Billy breathes is the only studio album I ever really find myself listening to. I think that's their best.

It's definitely one of their best, but I always felt the bass was way too high on that album, and I always felt Trey sung way too softly on most of it. Still, it's one of their most accessible albums and most successful albums so who am I to judge.

You can probably break the Phish studio recordings into four different periods.

Early Phish is 1985-88 and Includes:

The White Tape - Recorded 1985-1986
The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday - 1987
Union Federal and the Oh Kee Pah Ceromonies (Bonus Tracks on Junta) - 1985-1988

This is the more experimental Phish. They were still finding their feet and the recordings had a bit of a Frank Zappa / Brian Wilson Smile vibe to it. Their sense of humor was strange to say the least. It wasn't quite Frank Zappa, it wasn't as dark as early Genesis. It was ... well, goofy, but there was an intelligence to it all the same. As for the music, well there was a lot of free form stuff, and even a concept album with a title so long that even the acronym is a chore to type (tmwsiy is frequently referred to as gamehendge). Since they weren't signed to a record label, Phish recorded this stuff themselves so the recording quality is all over the place. Their often recorded lengthy practice sessions, or Oh Kee Pah Ceremonies, would make way for the next era ...

Progressive Phish 1988-1993:

Junta - 1988
Lawn Boy - 1990
A Picture of Nectar - 1991
Rift - 1993

This is my favorite era. They were at the top of their game musically at this point and they had just gotten a recording contract. Even though they were a jam band, a lot of their "jams" were actually composed pieces. These lengthy "epics" were reminiscent of the progressive rock of the 70s a la Genesis and Yes, with complex instrumental arrangements that incorporated elements of jazz, classical and many other styles of music. They were also adding more pieces to their earlier gamehendge concept sprinkled throughout their impressive live performances and albums as their cult following grew sizeably. And they did it all with that strange, dark and downright goofy sense of humor that Phish was known for. But, at heart, they were still a jam band, and the jams came through in the studio just as much as it did live. Rift, their next and final concept album, would probably be the most progressive of their careers, but was also turning point for them. Phish were beginning to shift away from the lengthy prog epics and instead were trying to record shorter and more accessible songs. They wanted a hit ...

Popular Phish 1994-2000:

Hoist - 1994
Billy Breathes -1996
The Story of the Ghost - 1998
The Siket Disc - 1999
Farmhouse - 2000

Phish had had a minor hit with Chalkdust Torture in 1991. Rift had several shorter songs like Fast Enough For You and The Wedge that they released as singles, but it wasn't until Hoist that they really went the whole MTV hit singles route. They decided to keep the songs short on the records and extend them in live jams instead. The strategy worked. Down With Disease and Sample in a Jar were both hits and Hoist was their best selling album yet. The albums during this era are probably the most accessible Phish albums of all, and Billy Breathes is often regarded as their best. This was Phish's most successful period, both for record sales and in ticket sales. They had become the most successful touring band in the world. But what was sacrificed for accessibility? Well the goofy humor was toned down a lot (although you still had songs like Scent of Mule) the lengthy prog epics were fewer (although you still had songs like Guyute) and a lot of the complex instrumental jams were shortened (but you still had songs like first tube). So, Phish was still Phish, just more accessible (with the exception of the Siket Disc - a post rock free form jam album). And in concert Phish was better than ever, quite possibly the best live band of all time. By the end of 2000 it seemed that Phish had reached such great heights that there was nowhere they could go but downhill. Trey thought it was in the band's best interest to break up and try different projects for awhile. So that's what they did, and we reached a new turning point...

Post Breakup Phish 2002-Present

Round Room 2002
The Victor Disc 2002
Undermind 2004
Joy 2009
Fuego 2014

Now I know that the Phish break up in 2000 was brief and, on the surface looks rather insignificant in comparison to the one in 2004 which lasted five years, and from a touring standpoint the 2004 breakup probably is more significant. But, I would argue, that from a creative standpoint, the 2000 breakpoint was more significant. By 2000 the band had, admittedly, reached their peak. Up to that point they were young men who were trying to prove something. After 2000 they had nothing to prove. They were proven. Now they were middle aged men with families of their own. It was time to slow down a bit, experiment with other projects and take a break from Phish here and there. Phish wasn't a spent force by a long stretch, there were still some great things to be done with them, and they still had great chemistry together and were still great friends. The albums of this post breakup period reflect this. Great songs, nothing too pretentious, nothing too edgy, nothing too crazy, just four guys having a great time making music together. The albums are a more relaxed and there's a longer space between the releases. The guys have families that they want to spend more time with, but it's clear they still get along great together and can't go too many years without getting the band together for another tour. Still, they take frequent breaks from each other so they can try new things out with other musicians too. There's less pressure on them to constantly tour and release albums each year. People have compared Phish to Grateful Dead a lot and I never thought they sounded much like them other than them both being jam bands (yes I know Phish was influenced by them, but GD is just of many influences on them), but on these albums I can definitely see some similarities. There's a laid back quality to these albums that definitely is reminiscent of the dead, especially on a song like Devotion to a Dream. They're having more fun with the vocal arrangements too. Some really chill stuff in this era, I can dig it.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 16, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Gamehendge Halloween playlist is playing on the radio right now.

http://www.wusb.fm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Gamehendge New Years edition live on http:https://www.wusb.fm right now

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-yk4dJROcY

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 10, 2015

• Locked thread