Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Now just think - instead of it being ponderous and prone to tipping over, once you get it going, it will want to balance itself. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Simkin posted:

Now just think - instead of it being ponderous and prone to tipping over, once you get it going, it will want to balance itself. :aaaaa:

I actually almost dropped my KZ project bike on myself a couple of weeks ago after I reupholstered the seat. I was making vroom noises when it was on the centre stand :(

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

Trintintin posted:

I cleaned all the grime off of her, and then put her on display in my front yards in hopes that someone steals it.

Seriously.

Why?

Badger Crotch
May 7, 2006
THERE'S NOTHING SUPERNATURAL ABOUT ME, I JUST FART A LOT.
Took apart the rear brakes on my SV so I can put new pads in on Wednesday!

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

AngryGuy posted:

Tomorrow:

Two Brothers exhaust
Helibars
Pazzo shorty levers for brake and clutch
GBRacing engine covers and frame sliders

It seems that this was being a bit too optimistic. I got the exhaust installed after many hours of work due to me being retarded and the Two Brothers rewiring on my license plate being very confusing to me.

Went to do Helibars and couldn't remove my triple because I don't have a 38mm socket and I can't find one anywhere in town.

No light to do the rest of the stuff without daylight and the tiny light in my garage.

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

AngryGuy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 17, 2009

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 23, 2017

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Brushed the fresh snow off it, stood back and admired it a bit, spent $15 on shipping for a $1.99 cover from Hong Kong and revved the engine a bit to get the new bike giddyness out of my system.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Not today but on Friday evening.

Recently added items include:
Givi "vstrom sleeping" bars
TwinHeadlightErnie bash plate
SW-Motech Centerstand
Vstroma folding shift lever (getting folding rear brake lever also but it's not arrived yet)
Grip Puppies

Still to be installed is a box of electronic goodies from Eastern Beaver.

On with the Pics.

First off, here are most of the parts that will be installed. (rest of weekend was spent rearranging and throwing out poo poo from garage, seriously how did I not notice this poo poo until I saw it in a picture??)

Here she is up on the Harbor Freight table (love this thing)

A couple hours, skinned knuckles and more than a few beers and she's almost done. Didn't take her off the table until next day so I could check all the bolts.

I love how twinheadlighternie's plate fits. Nice and tight but with enough room to take the hits.

Here she is out in the light of day after a 50 mile run and about to be taken into garage to check bolts again.

Close up of left side.

Close up of right side.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

drat, that looks really nice in flat black - the shape of the bike seems to blend together a lot better. That belly pan looks pretty sinister.

Also, piggy! :neckbeard:

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Simkin posted:

drat, that looks really nice in flat black - the shape of the bike seems to blend together a lot better. That belly pan looks pretty sinister.

Also, piggy! :neckbeard:

Yea I'm not 100% sure I would have bought one if it wasn't all in black, she isn't the prettiest bike but with all black she's not bad at all.

Yea word of caution to anyone carrying My Piggy around. He started off helpful, until he got a couple beers into him then he started throwing tools around. I had to banish him to the shelf to just watch.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I don't know if it was a manufacturing defect or not, but the givi engine crash bars on my dad's weestrom were cracked on one side, apparently from a tipover in the po's garage. There wasn't any sliding/scuffing marks anywhere on the bike, including the bars, so I'm inclined to believe him. The bars just didn't really seem all that robust, especially compared to the cage on the R1150GS that replaced it.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Simkin posted:

I don't know if it was a manufacturing defect or not,...

I'd be inclined to call it a fluke. I've seen a ton of pics of the givi bars after crashes and they all survived really well. Even though a touch bigger they are generally considered one of the best because they have two frame mounts on each side plus the cross over. Really all they have to do is protect the side panels once and they pay for themselves. For an afordable bike there are a couple of body pieces that are stupid expensive.

ETA: Just remembered there was a run of them for a month or so that had bad welds at the mounting tabs, he was probably just unlucky and got one. Givi replaced them all free of charge and even payed for repairs on a few bikes.

Tindjin fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 1, 2009

FunkNinja
Dec 29, 2007
Funk
Today I removed the slightly rusty handlebars on my '84 XS400 in preparation for a set of dirtbike bars. I also painted another fairing piece. PO decided that sparkly green was the perfect colour... blech. Flat black is much nicer.

Yesterday I finalized a deal on 2 '82 Honda Sabre 750s. Yeah, I got a great deal... One complete, one parts bike, and a bunch of new parts and stuff... and so far it looks like everything is functional. So far. I'm sure I'll run into a few things.

I'm going to be busy with 2 project bikes on the go, but drat if it isn't going to be fun! :D

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Yesterday was a care for the GS day. I lubed and adjusted the steering head bearings, adjusted the valves, replaced the cam cover gasket, replaced the fuel lines, synced the carbs and cleaned all of the hard to reach places while the fairings are off. It then got pushed back into it's hiding spot, naked, awaiting the arrival of it's parts from Bike Bandit.

Today I diagnosed a bad coil on the CB450 giving me my no start. Well, never start. I haven't heard the thing run yet. I also lamented the fact that I have two broken bikes.
Today was one of those wonderful days where everything you've been waiting for shows up at the same time. I got some parts from ebay for the CB and the clutch cable for the GS.

Tomorrow I'm going to install the new cable and go for a ride for the first time in a week.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Moved all of my tools and bikes into a storage space...now they're at least in the same city as me. Progress will finally start getting made on the bikes :3:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Tindjin posted:

ETA: Just remembered there was a run of them for a month or so that had bad welds at the mounting tabs, he was probably just unlucky and got one. Givi replaced them all free of charge and even payed for repairs on a few bikes.

Ah, that sounds exactly like where the bar was broken. He never got the inclination to replace the crash guard before selling the bike off anyhow (and sold it for exactly what he paid for it :v: ).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I dropped my ride off at the garage today so they can install my new center stand. Ease of chain maintenance at last! I've been eyeing the belt driven BMW F800 that parks next to me a bit enviously.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Got my "order" from 1977mopeds for my 01 Tomos LX.

Dipshits gave me incorrect studs and forgot to pack my throttle cable into the envelope. Apparently the $17 S/H fee on a $21 order wasn't enough to do it right.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
My LT2 had her new petcock tested out. It works!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

kdc67 posted:

I rode my LT2 for 25 miles today.
fixed.

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap
Broke the clutch cable :(

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

Not today, but a couple days ago.

Painted the cam belt covers from crappy gray to bitchin' gun metal. Also, sand blasted the chrome trim ring on the headlight and then painted it flat black to match the rest of the housing.

Next weeks project is new chain and sprockets.

Note: Not my dirty garage.

null0ne
Jul 18, 2006
Replaced oil/filter, stripped off and cleaned all the fairings, checked valves, got a new front tire on, cleaned every bit of frame/metal I could reach, replaced spark plugs, adjusted chain.... Tank won't be back from my paint guy until sunday at the earliest, and I'm getting antsy.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Put new turn signals on my bike all on my own!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Stared longingly at it because it's loving snowing again :argh:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Here we have what appears to be an ordinary Triumph Bonneville T100...

... until a side pannier is removed to reveal...

... SHOCKS! SHOCKS! SHOCKS!

Works Performance in Canoga Park took their SWEET rear end TIME making these suckaz. I put them on today in the naive belief that I could get it done quickly in time for a trip. Turns out PlasticSun and I are both basically screwed until next month, but oh well.

I had to grind paint off of the posts to get the bushings to slide on :rolleyes:. Thanks, Works. That's exactly what I wanted to spend my morning doing. They're the Pro Racers with adjustable rate suspension w00t.

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street_pair_pro_racer_drs_rha.html

They're a little bit longer than the stock Bonnie shocks and can be threaded up to 10mm longer.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
Put 99 miles on it while it was sunny, wet, in the shade, and 45 degrees out. Great day!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It was a beautiful day in merrie olde englande todaye, so I went for a short ride to my cousin's place to pick up some mail, came back and gave the bike a goode olde sudsing. My wheels are blue again!
You can all blame me when it rains like hell tomorrow!
What's a good plastic cleaner/protector/water repeller that won't dull or ruin the plastic over time? I've got a bunch of textured charcoal coloured plastic bits on the bike that wax won't work on because of the texture.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I got me and my neighbor out to work on it. Found out the carb is running less than ideal and a little leaky from the float bowl. We tinkered on the carb, the air/fuel screw and trimmed back the spark plug lead and actually got it running somewhat normally.

Next up- Bringing a carb back in the shop for service, going to my buddy's shop for a valve adjustment.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I stared at my bike because it was 30 and raining. Tomorrow...50 and sunshine! I shall ride.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I bought it! And rode it home!

Its a 2004 EX250, in (hopefully highly visible) yellow. It is in excellent shape, with only some minor scuffing on the right side from what looks like a really low speed lay-down. It ran perfectly for the 25 miles it took to get home. I picked up a disc lock for it, though I'll be parking it in our apartment's gated lot tonight thanks to our awesome manager fudging the rules for us. All I need now is a tank/seat bag and I'll be perfectly content. What a fun little bike.

Some pics:

The bit of damage:

Plus a tiny bit on the right exhaust pipe and a microscopic scratch on the front brake lever.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Looks great man, as for what I did to mine today. Rolled over 19k miles :cool:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Cool yellow ninja.

As for me I had somebody else install my chain for me!

But now it feels SO smooth I love it!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Ninja looks sharp in those colors. You dont see that scheme very often.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

sirbeefalot posted:

I bought it! And rode it home!

Its a 2004 EX250, in (hopefully highly visible) yellow. It is in excellent shape, with only some minor scuffing on the right side from what looks like a really low speed lay-down. It ran perfectly for the 25 miles it took to get home. I picked up a disc lock for it, though I'll be parking it in our apartment's gated lot tonight thanks to our awesome manager fudging the rules for us. All I need now is a tank/seat bag and I'll be perfectly content. What a fun little bike.

Some pics:

The bit of damage:

Plus a tiny bit on the right exhaust pipe and a microscopic scratch on the front brake lever.

That's a really nice-looking bike, congrats.

I took advantage of the first 70+ degree day of the year, and rode around the twisty roads near my house. I also got all my stuff together to do the 6000-mile service, which I'll probably end up needing to do next weekend if the weather stays nice and I keep riding it throughout the week.

I'm hoping to do the valves and synchronize the carburetors, and check/replace the spark plugs while I'm at it. Hopefully the valves will still be in spec, because I don't have the kawasaki valve adjustment tool, and I really don't want to spend $40 to get one.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Ahhhh... got my KLR650 up and running today. Turned over a few dozen times then fired right up.

This fast on the heels of striking out trying to get my fiance's Super Sherpa going.. turn turn turn turn.. no fire. Has spark, so I guess it'll be something carb related. :(

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Wasted several hours changing tires. Went very fast (for me), took an hour and a half to get the wheels off, old tires off, new tires on. And the loving bead wouldn't set. Tried all kinds of stuff but after a couple more hours it got late and now I have 2 rims with the sidewalls stuck on an inner lip of the rim, haven't had this happen before. Now I get to find somewhere that will set them before track day on Sat.

Ironically this was going to be my only DIY tire change of the season.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

OH YEAH? I'M FROM DETROIT(s suburbs)!

Infinotize posted:

Wasted several hours changing tires. Went very fast (for me), took an hour and a half to get the wheels off, old tires off, new tires on. And the loving bead wouldn't set. Tried all kinds of stuff but after a couple more hours it got late and now I have 2 rims with the sidewalls stuck on an inner lip of the rim, haven't had this happen before. Now I get to find somewhere that will set them before track day on Sat.

Ironically this was going to be my only DIY tire change of the season.

Did you try the starter fluid method? It's the only way I've ever had success seating beads.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I decided it's days are numbered and will soon be a Ducati.

Note: Don't go ride an 1198. It'll gently caress your whole perception of motorcycles up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I am notoriously bad with directions and understanding where I am or came from in general. Before I got my bike I would've told you there are no good roads in New Jersey. However, since I got it I've been doing more exploring then ever, mostly consisting of getting completely lost and eventually finding my way back home with a new understanding of an area I knew nothing about. I actually have a good hour long route that takes me down some awesome twisty roads that would've gotten me lost a few months ago, and yesterday I followed a friend with a 636 (I should say tried to follow) around south Jersey, finding even more awesome roads. We cruised to a Stewarts, only to find they are closed on sunday, so we kept going until we came across a tavern with an outside deck. Ate wings and a burger out on it, then shot back to a friends house for the first barbecue of the summer. Finally, before going home, I took a quick run down another road with my tinted visor up and my eyes watering since it was 11pm by then.

Also converted my bike from winter mode:

to summer mode:

Note to self: No, levers are not a ricer mod done purely for looks, they are awesome.