Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Man that looks like the cover to a horror movie.

You want horror movie cover, I got your horror movie cover right here:

From this morning's ill-advised ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I rode in to work through sleet this morning. It was like rain, but weighty. The Dainese GoreTex jacket kept me impressively dry.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

prukinski posted:

You want horror movie cover, I got your horror movie cover right here:

From this morning's ill-advised ride.

Bet that creepy shed is full of creepy dirtbikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why, is that Fabio's shed?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

Got her on the road again! Started up first try, too.

Now for the love of god somebody buy the drat thing.

My younger brother purchased the CB400T in the European "N" configuration (a bit more baby-chopper than the "T") back in 1986. It's survived 6 bikes of mine, and is still going strong. He's been trying to sell it since the early 2000s.

Good luck getting rid of that ridiculous slow and bad handling crap-pile. You won't!

Back in 1997 my brother thought luck had finally hit him. The bike was stolen and insurance payout just around the corner. The day before the insurance check arrived the friendly cop did. With the drat bike in mint condition.

There's no known way to get rid of a CB400 twin.

My brothers is farting along with around 80KKM/50KM on the clock. Engine hasn't been opened since I adjusted valves on it back in 2002. I've changed oil and filter on it in 1998 and 2003, but I don't think it's been done since. The bike still looks like almost mint. All chrome is intact and no pitting on the clear-coated aluminum.

You're cursed. Have a nice afterlife with your "bike" from hell.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Today I changed the oil in my XT660, with help from THE FLANDERS PIDGEON CAT MURDERER.

Fun fact: When you remove the oil tank drain bolt, oil shoots out with enough force to basically cover the entire front wheel :downs:

Another fun fact: You need at least one very large drain pan or two normal-sized drain pans because during the oil change procedure, the bike will be pissing oil from three different spots at the same time and make an unholy mess, including completely soaking the exhaust pipes. You can really tell that the engine is a Yamaha Motors Italy design :italy:

(Also, copper crush washers melt really easily when you're trying to anneal them for reuse)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 16, 2014

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I sold my old GSX. Cheap. But at least it has a home.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

(Also, copper crush washers melt really easily when you're trying to anneal them for reuse)
Crush washers are like a dollar each, stop being cheap.

e: Changed the oil in my bike last weekend. Someone didn't get the memo that says "hand tighten only" for the oil filter. Almost knocked the bike over trying to pry the old filter loose. :argh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Collateral Damage posted:

Crush washers are like a dollar each, stop being cheap.

Doesn't help when the stores are closed and you only have the wrong size washers.

Luckily, Cornelius had some fiber washers that fit.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Crush washers are one of those things I buy a few of at once.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Invariably if I buy exactly how many I need of something (crush washers, weird bolts, gaskets, fluids, etc) I will need one more immediately. If I go and buy a pile of extras, everything will go perfectly and I'll never need to use the rest of them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In a similar vein, if you hoard all the tools you could possibly need to do a job, you barely use any of them because it all goes smoothly. But when you're in a hurry and just need the vehicle going everything breaks/won't come apart/won't go back together, you have none of the tools you really need and it's 7pm on a sunday.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

have none of the tools you really need and it's 7pm on a sunday.

This has happened to me before, when I went to change the timing belt on my former civic, using a friend's garage. Had half the engine bay disassembled and radiator drained for doing the water pump and hoses as well, only to realize that you cannot get the timing belt cover off without removing the crank pulley, which requires a special tool to remove since honda doesn't feel the need to make their car engines rotate clockwise like all other automakers. At 5:04 pm on Saturday, when napa closes at 5pm.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 17, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They make their engines rotate like bike engines, it's a hold over from Ye Olden Dayes.

I also own that tool for similar reasons. $50.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

They make their engines rotate like bike engines, it's a hold over from Ye Olden Dayes.

I also own that tool for similar reasons. $50.

Mine cost me $12 at Napa.

Suzuki and Yamaha both manage to build car engines that spin the right way, so there's really no excuse for Honda being a special snowflake. :colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Invariably if I buy exactly how many I need of something (crush washers, weird bolts, gaskets, fluids, etc) I will need one more immediately. If I go and buy a pile of extras, everything will go perfectly and I'll never need to use the rest of them.
Alternatively you'll put the rest in A Good Place That I'll Remember and never find them again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Holy hell, yeah, you have no idea what I went through trying to find the Extra Tube of Lithium Grease That I Got Cause It Was On Sale the other day.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Finally got around to changing to a 15T front sprocket on my green drz today. As in, I changed it over yesterday, then actually set the right chain tension and shaved the case saver down so it'd fit around a 15 tooth sprocket. After a short ride I shaved the case saver down so it'd really fit around a 15 tooth sprocket, and took another, longer, ride just to make sure. Noticed my chain is binding slightly so that combined with the scoring I put on the rollers means I'm gonna be changing the chain soon.

60km/h is now comfortable in 4th, which means I usually end up exceeding the speed limit by 10km/h after I shift into 5th and get the revs around where I usually cruise, I need to get used to that before I cop a speeding ticket since it's double demerits for the next week and theres a huge police presence in town for some reason.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Fixed an small oil leak from the back cylinder. Thought it was the cylinder head gasket that was going, but it was only a screw on one of the clamps for the carb->engine inlet rubbers that had jiggled itself abit too loose.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
That would cause a vacuum leak, not an oil leak right?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah although sometimes it'll look like an oil leak cause fuel/air spits in and out and causes gunk to build up around that area.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah, it looks like an oil leak. Apparently it's a known problem on the 600cc transalp v-twins. The screw works it self loose over the years or the rubber deteriorates.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Mounted some new Pilot Road 4s on my VFR, replacing the Pilot Road 3s after close to 12000 miles on them.

Betty
Apr 14, 2008
Installed new clutch plate set on my 1983 Honda VF750 Interceptor. First time I've ever done anything clutch related and really had no troubles doing it. The official shop manual I got with the bike definitely helped a lot. I hate snap rings with a passion, that fucker went flying. The clutch feels soooo different now and it can actually shift into neutral when riding! Hooray!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

infraboy posted:

Mounted some new Pilot Road 4s on my VFR, replacing the Pilot Road 3s after close to 12000 miles on them.

Did you ever notice your front PR3 being a noisy tire? My only complaint about the 2s and 3s is the front tire noise when going over certain road surfaces; I can hear it over my fuckoff loud pipe. I'm wondering how the PR4 sounds in comparison.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tire noise is a problem? I think of it as a feature. Half the fun of daily driving a fuckoff jeep with MT tires is the sound it makes.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I got to put some more miles on the FZR yesterday and am really really liking this bike. It handles well and the power delivery is nice and linear with a rush at the top end. Should be a gentle track day bike for my slow rear end.

I also found out that my rear brake caliper pistons are still sticky despite flushing it twice, running the pistons in and out a bunch of times and a lot of wishful thinking. I then found out that the mounting bolts were corroded in place and proceeded to pull all of the threads out of the caliper when trying to remove it. No biggie. $25 for a nice looking eBay caliper.
I'm also replacing the Ferrado race pads my calipers came with, with a street pad. Way too grabby.

Other than that, operation "turn a huge piece of poo poo into less of a piece of poo poo is mostly complete.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

clutchpuck posted:

Did you ever notice your front PR3 being a noisy tire? My only complaint about the 2s and 3s is the front tire noise when going over certain road surfaces; I can hear it over my fuckoff loud pipe. I'm wondering how the PR4 sounds in comparison.

I never notice tire noise ive always got earplugs in and I have the sweet whine of the gear driven cams and micron pipe.

I have Pr3s on my bmw which is nearly silent on the highway and I spose they do make some noise but so did the previous tires so I think its normal

First commute on the pr4s today after a bit of scrubbing I can report theyre fantastic and the bike feels super stable when leaned over and very confidence inspiring which is impressive for tires that are supposed to last a while

infraboy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 22, 2014

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
I finally got my bike registered/inspected today and ordered a vanity plate at the DMV. Nothing retarded on the plate... I was surprised to find that D3SMO (for desmodromic valves) was not taken. Surely the Ducati riders here would have taken it, seeing as how its the holy grail cool plate for 10/1198 bikes.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
I wanted QUACK, but no dice.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pulled the wheels off and left it propped up on the centerstand in the garage. Gonna get my PR3's put on tomorrow!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Fuckin A slim. You won't be disappointed.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Refreshed the k&n air filter and installed a Honeycomb seat cover.
Keeps me an extra 5mm off the seat. Mainly to get some better airflow during the summer and reduce the sitting in a puddle effect.

Not gotten a chance to try it yet, but looks to work as advertized.

Edit: rode to work this morning. Improved airflow actually made it a bit cold on my rear end with it only being 8c outside. Gonna be nice for summer riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yOqqsSYzto

Supradog fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 24, 2014

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

I commuted on it for the first time and only almost died three times. Once from a fine gentleman in a caprice donk. bugsbunnyflorida.gif etc.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

New front tire installed, PR4. They only charged me $150 installed, the tire is 145 on revzilla. He said they were only making like 2 bucks off it so next time it won't be such a killer deal haha. Chain cleaned/lubed/adjusted while I was there. I've only ridden maybe 10 miles since then, but it feels pretty good! Got 13,528 miles out of the stock dunlop d222 that came with the bike, with cupping and it starting to get flat topped.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Did my valve check today that was like 1k overdue. Everything was within spec but all 4 exhaust valves are right at the bottom of the range, and one of them took quite a bit of pressure to get the feeler in for even that. I went ahead and buttoned everything back up again because I didn't want to take off the radiator and didn't think I'd be able to do an adjustment comfortably with it on there. I assume if it's within spec it's OK since that's the reason there's a spec, but should I plan to go back in the winter and adjust my exhaust valves or just leave it until the next interval?

It's a 2005 SV650s with 30k miles and they all measured 0.008 inches where the spec is 0.008 to 0.012 inches. I also changed the spark plugs but the old plug on the front cylinder had a lot of rust on it, is that just the previous owner failing to correctly orient the plug caps so they're water proof? The bike seems to be running fine and it's garaged(now)/I haven't taken it out in the rain yet. Going to clean up the K&N air filter and change the oil tomorrow then I should be good to go for the season I hope aside from chain maintenance.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

IIRC the SV650 in general has issues with that particular spark plug location and moisture, so I'd look into that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm pretty sure you can do a valve adjustment without pulling the radiator, although i haven't done a gen 2 recently. I'd go back and adjust the valves because that one that is too tight is going to become a problem over the next few thousand miles. If you're forcing the feeler in there, it's tighter than the feeler measurement.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Z3n posted:

I'm pretty sure you can do a valve adjustment without pulling the radiator, although i haven't done a gen 2 recently. I'd go back and adjust the valves because that one that is too tight is going to become a problem over the next few thousand miles. If you're forcing the feeler in there, it's tighter than the feeler measurement.

Definitely could, but this is my first time messing with any of this on a bike and it was cramped enough trying to get the measurements done, just feel a lot more comfortable if I had more room to see what's going on once I start messing with my cams. I'll set aside some time to do the adjustments pretty soon then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Supradog posted:

Refreshed the k&n air filter and installed a Honeycomb seat cover.
Keeps me an extra 5mm off the seat. Mainly to get some better airflow during the summer and reduce the sitting in a puddle effect.

Not gotten a chance to try it yet, but looks to work as advertized.

Edit: rode to work this morning. Improved airflow actually made it a bit cold on my rear end with it only being 8c outside. Gonna be nice for summer riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yOqqsSYzto

Does it stop your significant other from continually butt-sliding into your seating area on steep declines or moderate braking?