Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Unfortunately it seems horse theft isn't (and legally never was) a capital offence in any state. The worst recent case I could find was a a woman who stole five horses, killed one and let the other four escape who was sentenced to 60 years in jail.

All joking aside, what the everloving gently caress. If you steal a lambo, which outvalues all those 5 vet-pumped sidewalk-shitters, you'll get a year. Or ..hmm...actually, maybe you will get a lot over there. Is the lambo owned by the governor's son? That adds a decade or two. Black? Instant death. I guess that case is weird but not that weird. Anyway, I love America but holy gently caress I don't want to be anything but rich, white and connected while living there.

Slavvy posted:

God bless Norway's finest :norway:

#suzukilivesmatter

Much thanks for your continued support. Although I am contemplating a behind-the-barn option, it is a much loved mare. My mom went nuts on Facebook about it being a "family member" etc.

SaNChEzZ posted:

I should have added, it was new old stock, not some third party junk.

I would be ok with 3rd party (given insurance etc) , it's mileage that matters, amount of twists. I tested my own lock for this earlier this year. Once, I hit a bump so hard the keys fell out of the lock at speed. Engine kept running. So I thought my lock sucked. Tried it with a popsicle stick, it didn't budge. Tried a bit harder with the luggage key, still didn't budge. So I figured it wasn't an easy steal. And from the shape of it now, they had to remove a whole bunch of metal to get it running. I wish they just knew the age old art of hot wiring in which you identify the wires which get crossed, then just cross those and you're ok. loving scum artless hoodlums they have these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yeah, that's a shame that they did it so dirty, but good thing you got it back with minimal breakage!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ola posted:

I wish they just knew the age old art of hot wiring in which you identify the wires which get crossed, then just cross those and you're ok. loving scum artless hoodlums they have these days.

I accidentally did this for my bike last week; when poring over the circuit diagram figuring out how to add a switch to get a built in voltmeter to work without the key in the ignition (I can't remember why I even wanted this, however briefly) I realised any way I did it would basically be adding a "push to hotwire" button :cripes:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Can you not just add a fused link + switch directly off the battery to the voltmeter? At worst you'd be adding a "drain my battery slowly" button. You'd still be able to see if the charging system is working while the bike runs

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...r+voltage+meter

https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Ultra-s...voltage+display

These may help you on your voltage journey.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Replaced the radiator fan blades and put the whole loving thing back together. :shepface:

But it works! Kicks on right at 218 or whatever. Also changed the oil because the bike had gotten preeeetty fuckin' hot when the fan poo poo itself and I couldn't be sure when it was last changed anyway.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Finally got around to digging up a square ruled copybook to use for a detailed service record. I'm sure I missed a few things from the past year, but at least future me will be more enlightened as to what this bike's had done to it than otherwise.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I just use a Google spreadsheet with dates, milage and what was done. Easy to look up from wherever, no book to loose or get soaked by oil/grime.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Installed CRG Lanesplitter mirrors on my V7.

I live in a hood with a lot of hip bars; some drunk smacked my right mirror and busted the joint so that it was just hanging limp. I was planning on replacing the stock mirrors at some point, this is accelerated that process. The last week with one mirror kinda sucked.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I installed some block off plates on my FZ-09. I think either the reed valves are hitting or there's a leak though because the bike is louder now and I'm not sure that's normal. So tomorrow I get to tear everything apart again and see what the deal is.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Buhbuhj posted:

I installed some block off plates on my FZ-09. I think either the reed valves are hitting or there's a leak though because the bike is louder now and I'm not sure that's normal. So tomorrow I get to tear everything apart again and see what the deal is.

I don't know how the FZ09 fuels, but if it corrects via the O2 sensor you've just made the bike appear leaner to the ECU, which would cause it to richen... and changing the AFR changes how the motor sounds.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
According to stoltec and another tuner on fz09.org it does not have any effect on the fueling. I've heard several people mention taking out the reed valves though because they were clearly hitting the plates. The sound I'm hearing sort of makes me think that's what is happening here. I'm gonna take a second look regardless.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Gave it a wash, a chain clean, put the seat cowl on and installed a Delkevic carbon exhaust.

Perfect sound now, not obnoxious but louder than stock. It'll burble and pop every now and then on overrun...

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Wiped the bugs off the plastics and got it ready for Coydog to haul back to Atlanta for a better life of hooning and dank wheelies. Godspeed, young SMC, you glorious bastard.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Lost my plate... tabs on the plate holder broke off. At least now the rattling sound that had been puzzling me for the last couple of weeks is gone.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Ok noise fixed. Turns out I'm a big dummy and the plate I thought was symmetrical had an asymmetrical cutout on the bottom. I took the reeds out anyway just for insurance.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

clutchpuck posted:

Maybe you misunderstand; the fun is not in going plaid on the straight sections, it's in not slowing down for the turns.

When I'm riding pace I use the front brake primarily to encourage weight transfer rather than changing my speed.

i know this post is old but could someone explain this?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I can't tell if either you or the quoted poster are being sarcastic and I'm too lazy to scroll back for context, hope this doesn't come across as pedantic

Transferring weight towards the front wheel helps ensure grip during turn in and settles the suspension. Sounds like clutchpuck focuses more on maintaining corner speed vs. gassing it on the straights and parking it in the corners

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Jazzzzz posted:

I can't tell if either you or the quoted poster are being sarcastic and I'm too lazy to scroll back for context, hope this doesn't come across as pedantic

Transferring weight towards the front wheel helps ensure grip during turn in and settles the suspension. Sounds like clutchpuck focuses more on maintaining corner speed vs. gassing it on the straights and parking it in the corners

maintaining corner speed is what I'm all about but I don't really get this concept. do you lightly hit the brake entering the corner? how long do you hold it? i asked about this before but everyone told me i misunderstood the book

yes, i know, i really need to do a track day

Verge fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 26, 2016

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Verge posted:

maintaining corner speed is what I'm all about but I don't really get this concept. do you lightly hit the brake entering the corner? how long do you hold it? i asked about this before but everyone told me i misunderstood the book

yes, i know, i really need to do a track day

I don't do it myself as it's probably a bit more advanced than I need to ride, but presumably you'd maintain light brake pressure until the apex, where you would transition to throttling out of the corner.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I don't do it myself as it's probably a bit more advanced than I need to ride, but presumably you'd maintain light brake pressure until the apex, where you would transition to throttling out of the corner.

I'm nothing like an expert on this, but that's the basic premise, and is called trail braking.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_braking

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
On the brakes to the apex is not exactly the right way to go about it. There are different types - entry corners, neutral, and exit corners. Where you let off the brake is more important than where you get on the brake. Being on the front brake during corner entry is important because you move weight to the front tire.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 26, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sold it.

God speed you tremendous hunk of poo poo.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Jfc nerds clutchpuck was talking about that thing where you chop the throttle for a split second to help you throw your generous goonage forward in the seat. Like if you were sitting back to get out of the wind for a bit.

or at least that's what I do when riding my DRZ. Dunno about using the brakes to do it lol

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Fender posted:

Installed CRG Lanesplitter mirrors on my V7.

I live in a hood with a lot of hip bars; some drunk smacked my right mirror and busted the joint so that it was just hanging limp. I was planning on replacing the stock mirrors at some point, this is accelerated that process. The last week with one mirror kinda sucked.

I was thinking of getting those for my v7 with the bar ends off guzzi tech. Do you have them mounted above or below the bars? Maybe you can post a pic?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

High Protein posted:

Lost my plate... tabs on the plate holder broke off. At least now the rattling sound that had been puzzling me for the last couple of weeks is gone.

That's KTM! :tipshat:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My bike hasn't been charging right and after testing things I determined it was the stator so today I figured I'd change my oil and open the stator and see what's up.

C'mon man :(

Those magnets are supposed to be evenly spaced inside the drum to the left of my chain, not on the stator coil.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
So what, they were just glued into the drum and the glue failed? Is that normal, just using glue for that?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

It's apparently a common problem for the Vstroms, that the adhesive fails and they come off. Unfortunately one broke so I gotta try and source another and then get the magnets all lined up correctly and spaced appropriately and glued back in and then JB weld between the magnets so they don't move again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, glue is the standard way to keep those in place

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Got a bigger windscreen and an adustment kit.

I think i made a mistake, it looks like absolute poo poo. It DOES cut down on wind so i can hear my music at 80mph, but i think it does too good of a job at that, and well, just look:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes, glue is the standard way to keep those in place

The same in starter motors.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Wrote up an ad as motivation to get the F3 running this weekend and get it listed. It was fun but with my time to spend with bikes growing increasingly limited I'd rather ride them than tinker with the repercussions of having not ridden them for an extended period. I see something more modern and fuel injected in my future. It was good times though :unsmith:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Went for a 30 minute ride through some local twisties. Bumped into an old dentist in full black leather on a BMW. Good rider. Had fun following him.
Edit
Dainese is a total pussy magnet.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 29, 2016

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

happy 40th, bitch.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You ride the hell out of that drz I love it. A properly used bike, for sure.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
it gets around, thats for certain. I just wish there were more miles in the dirt put on it. but I spose thats going to change soon.

actual content!

Pulled my smoked tail down cause the tag light was out, and i hate smoked lenses anyway. Purchased a buncha superflux leds, but I'm going to cad a new board for that poo poo.

fixed the tag light wiring, new lens, and back on it goes for now.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's awesome. I love upgraded led stuff like that, and the DRC edge is the best tail for most dirtbikes. You could have gotten a upgraded turn signal board, but I think diy ultra bright is cooler.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Put a new tire on the elite 250. The Michelin S1 I bought for it last year is the first Michelin to make me seek out another brand of tire for the first time since I started street riding.

Not because it's a bad tire, it handles great, but 2000 miles on the elite put it down to the cords.

Kenda, don't fail me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I went to fix the over-resisting pick-up coil by replacing it with a British-made one since they're well-known for making high quality electronics. :v:

Anyways, the shrink wrap I used to cover the soldered joints is definitely NOT up to the task. I didn't take into account the high temperatures that poo poo has to deal with inside the engine, so it was all warped and falling apart when I pulled it off. I cut off the original fiberglass sleeve thinking I wouldn't need it, and now it's turning out to be a huge pain in the rear end to find the same stuff. What do you guys use in this application, and where the hell do you get it in small quantities?