Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Broke the front left blinker. :(. Was getting off the bike at Walmart and my pant leg caught the pillion handle and the momentum of me turning and only one leg on the ground, with a full backpack, I lost all balance and I tumbled over. It landed on me kinda, 2 people jumped over to help but I couldn't tell if they caught it or not. Broken blinker, scratched mirror plastic, and that's it. There's a tiny scuff on the tank but it was rubbing off. Brand new, CBR500R, owned 90 days. It was bound to happen, thankfully it wasn't any worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Saddlebags!

I really like then, but Im not too fond of them tucking under the tail. I saw something online of someone using pvc pipe to have then stick out better, but I don't really want a bunch of piping on there.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

New slip on! Replaced the stock exhaust on my CBR500R with an aluminum TBR black series. Sounds awesome now. It was so quiet before I couldn't really even hear it while riding. Now I get to BRAP BRAP BRAP away from a light.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

New front tire installed, PR4. They only charged me $150 installed, the tire is 145 on revzilla. He said they were only making like 2 bucks off it so next time it won't be such a killer deal haha. Chain cleaned/lubed/adjusted while I was there. I've only ridden maybe 10 miles since then, but it feels pretty good! Got 13,528 miles out of the stock dunlop d222 that came with the bike, with cupping and it starting to get flat topped.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm at the shop today for my 16k mile service. Valves/spark plugs/air filter I guess? I already did the oil myself and I'm holding off doing the brakes for now. It's going to take 3-4 hours (he said he won't charge me for that long though, thankfully. $80/hr is crazy) and my ride is having car trouble so I have to hang out here all day and look at bikes they won't let me test ride.:emo:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Attempted repairs. My slip on was smashed in and my rear brake wasn't working. I guess it was pushing on it, because I took it off and boom my brakes work again. Put the slip on back on in the proper position with the assistance of my best buddy, a hammer. Hammered the bar end somewhat back into position.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Ripped the plastics off the sides and bottom so I can rewire my blinkers. Both front blinkers were messed up from dropping and then a crash so I just bought a new set. Just have to splice the oem connector onto the aftermarket blinkers and done! I'll probably leave the fairings off until the weekend though so the shop can give it a look over to see if anything broke in the crash. I think it's ok though. Stopping by parts/service tomorrow to order a new clipon and rear brake pedal.

Speaking of which, is it easy to swap a clipon? I feel like I'm probably going to destroy the grip in the process and should probably just order a new one now.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

mguirk the jerk posted:

Yes it's super easy. The only thing that might take a couple minutes is to drill a guide hole for your controls, if your current clipon has one. Some people just grind off the little nubs on the controls but I think it's an anti-pattern; engineers added that feature for a reason. And yes you are going to destroy the grip unless you have shop air (where a good blast between the grip and the bar will force it to slide off the bar) or you go to town with a flathead driver and lube (not worth the time).

PS I find it a little humorous that you actually go to a dealership parts counter to order parts. I (and I assume most people here) just use the Ron Ayers microfiche to find the right part numbers and order them online. Saves me a bunch of time waiting for the parts kid to fumble around a book... unless you're planning on having them install parts or you don't feel like deciphering the diagram, I guess.

They look it up in the computer and are usually pretty quick with it. They'll price match the website so I can get the cheapest price and I get a 15% discount I believe, since I bought my bike there. I also get to look at the bieks while I'm there :dance:.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Jb-welded the dent/tiny crack in my crankcase cover last night. The crack is very small and probably didn't need the jbweld but I did it just in case, it did leak like a drop of oil.

Unfortunately my throttle grip is on backorder until the 21st, so I can't change my clip on until then :(.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Replaced right clip on yesterday. Old one got bent up in my spill in June. I waited so lonh because the throttle grip took a month to come in. Turns out it's not attached like the left side so I didn't even need one anyways. Feels weird not having a bent clip on anymore.

Today on a ride the bolt and spacer that holds the shift lever in place came out and I went to shift, and nothing was there. Went to ORiellys and bought various bolts and washers and some metal tube thing to rig it together. Feels good as new now!

Oil next weekend, maybe do fork oil and put the new caps I got on.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

efnii posted:

Last fall I bought a 1982 Virago 920 for $140 and I made this goofy thing out of it:

It has yzf600r forks, rear shock, front wheel + brakes so it actually stops well and handles better than the typical virago. The shorter front end resulted in less trail and rake and thus quicker handling. Fenders are off a kz650. Tank from a gs650. I fabricated as much as I could including the exhaust (with internal baffle), heatshield and rear frame. I still need to upholster the seat but I like to put a few hundred miles on my bikes before I do that as I often make some changes to the foam. It's been a fun project and I'm just under $2k into it.

Really cool. I'd love to build my own bike.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Today I cleaned my leaking fork seal.

Before

After the clean and a ride

After the ride it felt every so slightly oily. You can see a finger smudge in the second pic. Do you guys think it's still leaking?

I also fixed my lower fairing not connecting under the bike, because the plastic broke around the screw hole. Thankfully, there was another hole missing a screw so I was able to put the screw in there to keep it together. I need some new lower cowls.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Alright. After riding to work though it looks like it's leaking still anyways.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Getting a coolant leak fixed under warranty at the shop, and new rear pads put on.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My first 30k :woop:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Lubed chain for the billionth time, adjusted throttle cable, and got a dyno run!

It's only a CBR500R so not a whole lot of power, but the dyno run was free so why not!
The bike is stock except for a Two Brothers can.

Max Power: 43.31 HP
I'm also running pretty lean apparently. He said it should be a little above 13, and I'm at 14.85.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Motorcycle USA says the bike is 42.9 HP, and I was thinking I'd be below 40 because it's at 33500 miles and due for a service. The bike was also smooth (and boring) the whole way through, whereas some bikes sounded like they were lugging the whole way through.

Some guys R6 chain sheared a side plate and came off. :eyepop:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Dr. Light posted:

Yep! I had to check it a few times, but that's exactly what it means. Even if it's 10 years down the road, or 20,000 miles, they'll replace sprockets and chain for the cost of shipping.

:eyepop: that sounds too good to be true. Surely there's a catch.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

BlackMK4 and I changed a fork seal and bled my brakes. Rides much better now! Thanks dude

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Snapshot posted:

I added a tall windscreen and a top box to my CB500X. Needed a better set up for touring this summer.

Are those the OEM Honda side cases? Can I ask how much they run you? I'd love a set but I hear they're around $800+ and I think I can use a backpack instead at that point.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I swapped my bent rear break pedal for a new one. I was going to install a gsxr rear shock but the sun went down + I need a breaker bar at minimum.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Replaced my bent rear brake pedal with a new one. After 15k miles on the bent one, it feels so weird.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Swapped the rear shock on my CBR500R for a GXSR600 rear shock. Little bit of cutting of some plastic, but all it did was hold a single wire up and that wire is plastic wrapped. Shock slipped right in.

Took longer than I wanted, I had a mishap and knocked the bike over off the stand, and dropped the rear end end onto the wheel. I caught it but it was a loving CHORE getting the stand out from underneath then removing the exhaust so I could get the stand back under the swingarm. I did drop it while trying to get the stand back underneath, but nothing broke or bent.

The new shock feels really good. I don't have a spanner, though I don't know if I'll bother.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Changed front and rear brake pads, oil, and oil filer. Cleaned and lubed chain.

I was going to wash it too and clean up some grime but it's loving hot, and I sweat probably double the oil quantity that came out.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Overly-Large-Vaguely-Offroad-Looking-Bikes-For-Commuters-With-Penis-Issues

What if you look like a gorilla on a bicycle on everything but those?

Me irl

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My valve stem caps are snake heads and always will be!

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I chained it up because I bought a VStrom 1000 :dance:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Last night, not today.

Replaced a couple bolts with ugly surface rust.
Adjusted idle.
Adjusted windscreen and cleaned it. Determined no wind screen is more comfortable.
Removed the (presumed) faulty voltage monitor the PO installed. It kept reading up to 28 and the battery was testing at around 14 iirc. Well within normal operating voltage.
Replaced the burnt out switch to the PIAA aux lights, discovered the relay to them is dead. New one ordered.
Fresh new bolts and washers on the barkbusters so they aren't wobbly as all hell.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Installed a new relay for my PIAA aux lights the PO installed. Gonna see how bright they are tonight. I turned them on to check it out but its midday and even with an overcast they don't feel very bright. Also, the switch light is green when off and red when on. :mad:

Gonna have to copy those handgourds :haw:

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

New rubber on the foot pegs. New smoked windscreen. I'd honestly prefer to ride without one but the bike looks even more silly without one. Also put a reflector and some scotchlite on each of my panniers.

New front tire yesterday as well. Shinko. Hope it works.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

kuffs posted:

I finished replacing all of the in-tank fuel system parts on the F4i. It was formerly cutting out over 10krpm, conveniently removing most of my powerband. I think it was close to complete failure, given the condition of the hoses and the crud in the bottom of the tank.

While I wasn't able to test the rev range in my lap around the block, at least nothing is leaking. We'll see how it does on my next track day.

Oh, and I upgraded the handgourds on the DRZ

This is fantastic. I gotta do this this coming weekend.

Today I installed a new battery and ripped out the PIAA aux lights from the PO. Replacing them with LED.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Replaced coolant container, the PO broke the old one somehow. I didn't flush the coolant, but I need to do that soon because it was really dirty.

Installed aux led spot lights and led light bar, hand grips, USB/12v cigarette lighter for phone/gopro/GPS.

The spot lights are for the side of the road to see animals, and the light bar for forward obviously. I may remove it though because it+the headlight don't seem to make a difference either way.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I hosed it up(over time, and PO helped.)

I went to adjust my chain today because its been loose lately. I've been really lazy about it and the chains 'bout due anyways. I go to adjust it and realize 8 of the 43 teeth are broken :gonk: This is an aluminum sprocket with 5k miles according to the PO, and about another 1.5k from me. It was pretty pointy and was due soon, with the chain, but holy crap. I had looked at the chain personally and even had a tire swap at a shop recently, all teeth were there. PO gave me the old sprockets too luckily, tossed the old 42t back on for now. New parts soon.

ALSO: I wrecked a rotor. I ran the rear pads to the bare metal and put big grooves on my rotor. When I got my tire done a couple weeks ago, I'm fairly certain the dude said my pads were about 30% so I figured I've got quite awhile. Nope. Front looks good at least. PO also left with me new set of pads for the bike so I tossed on the new rear pads. My excuse is I wear ear plugs and couldn't gear the grinding at all and it felt fine, until today. Very abrupt grabbing at slow speed breaking.

I cleaned the front sprocket area with some kerosene too. What a drat mess in there. Kerosene did wonders and just melted away the goopy residue.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

(Yesterday) I snapped the chain and broke the clutch slave cylinder, mounting bolt, and bent the clutch push rod in the process. Engines okay though.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Yeah I've been a bit neglectful lately, and new to me used bike. Should've parked the bike and got the chain and sprocket squared away but I didn't, I love my Vstrom.

My Honda is in great shape though, aside from the rashed fairings...

This has been and eye opener to say the least, about the importance of taking care of poo poo and how much more power the Vstrom has to the 500 and the force it puts on the chain. The rotor I don't have a good excuse for though, I was a huge idiot.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

New sprockets, replaced like 4 seals in the front sprocket area. New clutch push rod, new (to me) clutch slave cylinder. Topped off the oil. Still need to flush the clutch fluid and install the new chain. Need to replace a nut on the rear sprocket too. Its threaded on tight for now but its chewed all to hell. Surprisingly the rear sprocket threads + nuts on my cbr500r are bigger than the Vstrom, so I couldn't snag one from there for now.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

New chain on, new shiny nuts on the rear sprocket, and new clutch fluid. Need oooonneee more dang bolt and it should be operational. Would do it tonight, but its dark and I wanna play fallout :v

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Finished fixing my Vstrom last night, so today I got to ride it!

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Bolted on a Seahorse SE630 hard case on the tail of the bike. Don't always have my side cases on and I am not a fan of the Givi top case. Haven't used it much yet, but it did carry my carne asada fries without issue :v

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Changed my oil yesterday. The filter was on so tight I destroyed the nut on the end of the k&n filter. Had to hammer a metal rod through it to get some leverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I broke the center stand :(

Hopefully it can be bent back and welded