Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Bought some Seafoam, a couple 1gal containers of gasoline, a *good* tire pressure gauge, a cheapie stick gauge to throw in the tank bag, and a 12v portable air compressor/flashlight. Gonna use all of that this evening, if it warms up enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
* I added a gallon of gas to the SR250 after a couple ounces of seafoam, and it fired right up, and ran smoothly. Aired up the tires (is 32PSI high or low for a 230 pound rider?)
EDIT: Found full PDF manuals for both Yamahas. Both bikes are 28/32 for over 192 pounds load.

* Added a couple ounces of seafoam to the XS400 and the BMW, started, idled for a bit.

We're likely going out riding Saturday afternoon with Jendywo's friend Erica, who needs to move her Honda from her old condo to the new house, and a ride on a nice 50* day seems like a better way to do it than a U-haul.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 14, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
WOO!

I rode two out of three of 'em. Not super far, but I was out for about a half hour on each of 'em. That SR250 I picked up a few weeks ago is just...hilariously fun.

OK, fine. So it's got a piddly 17 HP compared to the XS400's 34. It doesn't weigh anything, so it *feels* ridiculously fast in comparison. Me likey.

That blue $40 JoeRocket jacket I got from NewEnough fits *SO* much better than borrowing Jendywo's JR jacket. It's so comfortable it seriously feels like wearing nothing at all. Same for the new helmet. It fogged up just a little bit when I was stopped and changing bikes and didn't put the visor up, but as soon as I was moving at all it cleared right up.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

DiscoKid posted:

It's been mid 30's to 40's here the last week with sunshine and dry roads, tempting me to take it out for a spin, but less than 72 hours ago some dude loving tanked his poo poo and killed himself because he was going too fast (and I assume, because there's still salt pilled (yes 'pilled' not 'piled') all over roads at random).
Well then, don't go 'too fast'. Duh!

It's been sunny and a warm 45+ degrees this week here in Denver, and I've gotten one bike or another out of the garage and ridden 3-5 miles each night. drat, it gets cold *fast* when the sun goes behind the mountains.

But I'm riding.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Wasn't today, and it wasn't my ride, but Bunway Airlines was kind enough to loan me her DRZ-SM long enough for me and Z3N to take it down and put gas in it, and in his yellow monster.

I was a gigantic chicken, riding her bike, at night, in an unfamilar city, after I'd been (mostly) off our bikes since the middle of October. That led to an incident that is probably much more hillarious to me than it would be to anyone else.

I don't have a whole lot of 'big thumper' experience (read: None At All), so on the way back, when turning onto Z3N's street, I didn't think anything of downshifting from third to second, intending on starting WAY on the low side of the powerband, so I didn't go smashing into any of the (many, many) cars parked on the side of the street.
The DRZ, however, *did* think something of it. I let out the clutch, and we....just...kinda...stopped without any drama. Just this sensation of, "Yeah, brah? Listen. That's not how I roll, M'kay? Put on your big girl panties and grab a handful, aright?"

Riding on the sidewalk (backwards on a one way street, at that) was pretty drat fun, though.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Selling it.

Click here for the full 1914x1436 image.

Invested: $1563.15
Rode: 231 miles
Sold: $1300
ROI: -$1.14/mi

Took it for a short jaunt around the neighborhood last night. I've ridden it long enough to know that it's just not the right bike for me, but drat, I'm still going to miss it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

spandexcajun posted:

Oh no! Isn't that the bike that had like 1/4 million miles on it and every receipt for every tank of gas / oil change / every time air was added to the tires? You are in the Denver area right? I wanted to come see that sweet thing sometime...

Do you have any idea of what type of bike is right for you now? $200 is not to bad for a lesson learned. At least you were able to sell it.
That's the one... 178002 miles on the odometer when we loaded her into the trailer. She went to a great home, though - the new owner had new turn signals, a headlamp and a new fairing on the way to his house even before taking delivery. We went for a short jaunt around the neighborhood last Friday (He was on the Beemer, I followed on the Maxim), and that's what sealed the deal. He totally fell in love. I'm happy with the deal.

One of the things that sold me on buying that bike was the adjustability - the handlebars adjust for reach and angle and such, and there's a 3-position seat. Despite all that, I just never could quite get comfortable - just a little too much weight on my hands, and even with the bars fully back, just a little too long a reach.

What really did me in, though, was riding Bunway Airlines' DRZ400SM when I was in California a couple weeks back.
It was a completely terrifying experience - riding someone else's new-to-her bike, in a borrowed helmet and gloves that I barely fit into, only my regular leather jacket for abrasion protection, in a strange town, downtown, at night, with WAY more horsepower and torque immediately on tap than you're used to, not having ridden more than 5 miles in almost 5 months, topped off with not having 1000 miles total logged.
Yeah. Terrifying.
But holy gently caress - 6 blocks was enough.

I gotta laugh, though. I made some crack about all the guys here who buy a Ninja 250, ride it for 250 miles/a few months, then want to sell and 'upgrade'. :facepalm:

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 16, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Z3n posted:

The funny thing is: It has way less power than your BMW did. Feels like a monster, because it's light and it pulls real nice, but way less raw acceleration.

Next time you come out, if I still have it, I'll slap you on the back of the ZZR and take you for a spin. :v:
Tickets are bought. I fly out at 6am next Thursday, return trip Monday night.
This time around, Southwest was cheaper than Frontier, and they throw in 2 checked bags for free - one of those bags will have our riding gear, you know...just in case. =)

Content: Nothing.
I'm an idiot. It was a GORGEOUS day out today (72*), and it's after the time change, so I had about 2.5 hours of daylight when I got home.
What did I do? Go riding? NOOOOOOooooo.

I logged into APB. (there's a thread in MMO-HMO for those what care)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Gnaghi posted:

This reminds me of something my friend told me. He said he was riding drunk and came to a full stop at a stop sign and forgot to put his foot down.
You don't have to be drunk to do that. My mom regaled me with a story several times when I was a child.

She was preggers with me, and my dad was driving them someplace in San Jose. An SJPD motor unit pulled up next to them on her side of the car, came to a nice smooth stop. The officer stopped, turned his head and looked right at her, then sllooooooooowly fell over on the right side.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Worked in the garage most of the day.

Both Bikes:
Discovered that between the two bikes, we have 3 Mikuni BS34's. This is going to make cleaning/rebuilding them a comparative walk in the park.

Gorky ('83 XS400 Maxim):
Checked oil and added some.
Figured out that my understanding of the labelling on the petcock is all jacked up, and when I thought I'd had it on "FUEL", it was on PRIME. :facepalm:
Adjusted Throttle Cable
Adjusted Clutch Cable
Checked chain tension, tightened by 3 1/2 turns each side.
Adjusted Rear Brake
Checked Front Brake Master Cylinder

'Lil Bit ('82 SR250)
Checked oil
Adjusted handlebars for more comfort/less Ape Hanger positioning.
Adjusted Clutch Cable
Checked Chain Tension - it's close to needing some tightening, but since it's not there yet, I let it go for now.
Adjusted Rear Brake and Brake Light Switch (That took forever...)
Discovered that the RH fork Tube was sticking out of the top of the triple tree a good 3" more than the left one. Loosened that side, and adjusted it back the hell down where it belongs. The culprit was the lower mount and bolt, it was more than finger tight, but not by much. That almost certainly explains why the front was so easy to bottom out under compression (braking, leaning on it stiffly in the garage...). I thought it needed fork seals or some such.

Took them both out for a short jaunt around the 'hood to ensure that all the fingers and toes wiggled when they should, and didn't when they shouldn't. Wore my 3/4 face helmet and a ZOMG BRIGHT HELLO YELLOW! Mike's Hard Lemonade jacket that I happened to have in the garage for a modicum of abrasion protection above the T-shirt I was wearing (Seriously, how much abrasion can there be at 10 MPH?). Felt (and looked, I'm sure) like a total goob. =)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Not a drat thing. (Well, OK, I put the mounting pad for my new Cortech Tank bag on Gorky. Doesn't count.)

I did get to shooting the poo poo with a neighbor in the complex. He's 63, looks every day of it, and smells like the 1970's. He's awesome. I should hook him up with my 67 year old mom. =)

Anyway - he's got an '05 Sportster that didn't have the battery tended overwinter, so, he's got his battery, that I removed from his bike, on his workbench in his garage, connected to my charger.

And I think I talked him out of getting any more service done at the Dealership. (though, I've got to admit the price for his tires was pretty reasonable. The rear was $130+30 installation.)

drat nice bike, too. Less than 2000 miles on it, but he's done time-interval maintenance vs. mile-based, since he's (one hell of a mother) trucker, and doesn't have much time to ride anymore, but when he's got time, he wants the bike to be ready to go.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Pubic Lair posted:

What about Standards?
1980-1990 UJM - Too broke to buy a real bike, where values of 'real' >= values of '$1000 US'.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Lubed and tightened the chain and ordered a set of Kenda 765 Challengers for Lil' Bit. The tires the PO had on there were pretty dry-rotted.
Replacing the chain and sprockets are next. I'll get the opportunity for a comedy "Do You Guys Think I Should Replace This Chain?" picture of the chain at some point. It's orange with surface rust and goes clack-clack-clack.
Any ideas what 'size' chain an '82 SR250 would take? I'm pretty sure I need an 108 link chain, but the weight?

Doing this stuff to get the bike *truly* rideable is really confidence inspiring.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Bucephalus posted:

520 chain, 102 links.

Once you're on the road, let me know how the Challengers feel. Haven't ordered mine yet.
Too new a rider with a bike that's too new to me, and is so small it feels like a bicycle to me, anyway.

Prediction: They'll feel a lot like tires.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Ola posted:

It's a good idea to pull the clutch if the engine breaks.

M4gic posted:

Don't the pads start squeaking bad like they do on cars? Mine will probably get worn down quick because I tend to pull in the clutch and slow down with the brakes instead of engine breaking to stops.
It's just that kind of day around here, innit?
In that spirit...

Gnaghi posted:

Sometimes, but sometimes it's the opposite. My bike squeals like crazy, but it's because the PO put super-metallica brake pads on, so it always sounds horrible.
Pft. I want some Super Metallica brake pads. I think they'd sound awesome, if you had the right ones...
*Squeezes front brake - Wherever I May Roam starts coming out of the vicinity of the front wheel*

*Adds some back brake - Sounds of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra starts coming out of the vicinity of the back wheel*

What did I do to my ride today?

Click here for the full 800x800 image.[/url]

Not my ride, and not my fault, but I "broke" the shift linkage of a 2010 Victory Hammer on a test ride during Victory's "Fuel It" demo days.
The nut on the shift linkage came off and the linkage separated as I was shifting into second at the start of a long, straight uphill section of the demo loop. Bounced off the rev limiter a couple times, before I felt the shifter flopping around under my foot without any tension on it. Pulled my foot out from under it and it flopped right over.
They came and fixed it, and I got to pick my own drat route back to the shop, instead of being stuck in a huge group of guys. I love an adventure.

drat nice bikes, and it was the first time I was on a cruiser-style big twin.
The first loop, I was on a maroon Kingpin.

Click here for the full 1680x843 image.

Nice bike, decent ergos, but the loving floorboards were bugging the poo poo out of me. The forward controls were just a bit TOO far forward for my 30" inseam, and the shifter and brake were a reach for my toes...the rest of the bike was comfortable, but it was a pain in the rear end to shift.
85 HP, and I had the opportunity to use all of them at a couple points along the ride - I had to hit 80 in a 45 to catch up to the group at one point (the same spot where I broke the shifter on the Hammer, actually...)

Second ride, I was on a Hammer S.

Click here for the full 1680x894 image.

Again, a great bike. No floorboards, but the seating position was just different enough that I wound up hurting just a little in my lower back after about 10 minutes on the bike. The unintended stop in the middle of the ride was...a nice break, actually. 97 HP, but damned if I could tell the difference.
If they weren't $18,500, I might be tempted to get one, and adjust the ergos to suit me a little better. After all, it *does* match my helmet already, and isn't that the important only thing that matters?

P.S. Pam, the woman in the photo with the "Harley Davidson / Police" thing on the back of her jacket is loving awesome. She rides the white Road King in the first picture with that 3/4 helmet in white and black you see in the second picture. She says that when she rides side-by-side with Mike (the guy in the matching helmet, with a matching Road King) traffic is like the parting of the loving Red Sea in front of them. People can't get out of their way fast enough. =)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 25, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Ola posted:

Today I rode my bike at 62 kph in a 50 kph zone and got lasered by the man.

Got fined 2900 NOK / $474 :(
Hey, man! This is the "What did you do to your ride today?" thread, not the "What did your ride do to you today?" thread*.

* Not advocating the dismissal of personal responsibility for ones actions, by any means. I just got a chuckle out of the thought...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

KARMA! posted:

$474 dollars for going 12 over?! Mother of gently caress... And I thought the fining over here was ridiculous. :monocle:
If 'over here' were the US? That's not. It's 7.46 over.
Ugh.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

KARMA! posted:

Over here is the Netherlands. :) Land of clogs, tulips and the metric system.

Fun fact I just looked up while trying to remember the word 'metric' and failing: According to the US CIA World Factbook in 2006, the International System of Units is the official system of measurement for all nations except for Burma, Liberia, and the United States.
Have you ever looked up the Liberian Flag?

Liberia is just like the U.S., but with dudes like this.

and this...

Oh, wait...
...It's just like the U.S. :smithicide:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Jack the Smack posted:

downtown sf past night clubs at 1 AM.
:gay:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Endless Mike posted:

Organics don't use pesticides or evil hormones.
Liiike...Estrogen?
Cuz I'm not really seeing the problem with using testosterone here.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

AnnoyBot posted:

Starting from San Jose, I took a test ride down Almaden to McKee Road, which goes by Calero Reservoir, then Uvas Reservoir, then finally ends at Watsonville Road. It was a glorious ride, probably one of the most satisfying I've ever taken.
Small world.

I used to ride
Lean to Curie to Colleen to Santa Theresa to Coleman to Almaden to McKean to
(Bailey OR Oak Glen OR Watsonville)
to Santa Theresa/Hale/Monterrey Road back to Lean Avenue, then back home on Rohn Way every weekend.

Of course, at the time, it was 1980, I was on my 10-speed, and I was 12.
My how times have changed - I can't imagine a parent that wouldn't have an absolute poo if their 12 year old made a habit of that today.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
FINALLY got the rear wheel back on the SR250 (with a shiny new Kenda Challenger 675 on it. I kept pinchflatting tubes, so I ponied up the money to have the dealership re-tube the drat thing on Saturday.) and rode it from the old place to the new place. Now I can do proper pictures at some point.

While I was at the old place, the ex-gf and I tore down the spare carb that came with the KLR. Holy poo poo, carbs are far, far, FAR more simple than the pictures in the Carb Cleaning Thread would suggest.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Drove it to get some cat food.
Did some MSF style slow speed exercises in front of the house.
Dropped it in front of my GF and her daughter. :dance:
Broke the ball off the end of the clutch lever.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

sklnd posted:

The KLR or your other bike?

The KLR is kind of a punk to pick up, what with its high center of gravity.
The KLR. Picking it up was pretty easy, at least in comparison to the R1100RS... Put a hand on the luggage rack, and one on the handlebars, and up she came.

More (hillarious) details and pics in the You're still a dummy thread. It's really pretty amusing how it came to be laying on it's side.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Scrapez posted:

I agree. He's going to do it to other people if he thinks he can get away with it. If you can spare the time/cash I would make him honor things.
This is a huge, HUGE no-no. Once an item sells, the seller is bound by the terms, and must deliver it for whatever price it sold for. They can pull the auction with 1 second left to go if they made a mistake (like forgetting a reserve). They lose their listing fee, but they don't have to honor the highest bid. Once the clock goes ding, however...

A number of years ago, I was buying a CD as a christmas present from a seller on Ebay who had nearly 30k positive feedback listed. This seller also had a brick and mortar store.

I buy the CD, pay with paypal, get a note from the seller, "I don't have this item - it sold across the counter in the store last night."
Dropped a trouble ticket to Ebay. 48 hours later I had my money back, and the seller had gone to NARU (Not A Registerd User) hell.

Last week: Maintenance Day - checked the pressures, checked oil, checked and lubed the chains, etc.

Yesterday: Went for a ride to clear a tough day from my head.
Rode the SR250 around for a bit, turning circles in the cul-de-sac in front of the house, leaning over as much as I could, to scrub in the new tire on the back, then went out on the 'fast' streets (45MPH) to see how the bike felt. Still need to replace the chain and the front tire.

Put the little bike away, and got on the KLR. The pegs on the KLR are SO much lower (because the bike is SO much taller), that at first, I felt like I was just dangling my legs off either side of the bike. =)

Got about a mile and a half from home, and the bike started feeling...'funny'. Lumpy. Missy. A little under the weather. Something. Not enough to turn around, just enough to be aware and alert.

Got about 2.5 miles from home, and the bike just flat out died. Had an epiphany - I'd seen this once before! Put the bike in neutral, let the clutch out, and reached down to flip the petcock to "RES". Put the bike in 2nd gear, and let the clutch out slowly, while adding throttle.

Came right back to life! Off I rode to the gas station. 5.3 gallons.

I was stoked that I didn't stop to mess with the petcock, and that I was able to 'bumpstart' the bike while I was still in motion.

Today:
Rode it 27.2 miles to work.
Did 'the wave' to a Model A Ford coming the other way. Got 'the wave' back from the driver. =)
Went into a full-on race tuck coming down Pena Blvd to the airport. Not having a speedometer (only a gear calculator and a tachometer) I think I hit about 82 MPH.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

niethan posted:

My KLR fell over when I parked it on some dirt, apparently the stand sunk into the dirt. Some neighbours put it back up and put some wood under the stand, but my cluth lever (that I replaced already cause I had dropped the bike and it broke) was bent at the end. No other damage. Trying to bend the lever back broke off the round nub at the end, so I filed it all smooth and covered the tip with tape. Hope I don't crash and stab myself with it.
Sup, 'I broke the ball off my KLR Clutch Lever' buddy!
If you hit the clutch lever hard enough to get stabbed with it, the ball isn't going to stop it.
I didn't even bother with tape. And now it's almost the perfect length for two-fingering it.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

PadreScout posted:

...Hell, at this point I even miss my KLR and I loving hated that motorbike.

Sanity check?
There's your sanity check right there. ;)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

sklnd posted:

Nah, still rockin the stocker seat. I narrowly missed a dished corbin seat a few weeks ago for $100 on cl. I plan to stand a lot.

700 miles the first day. That 700 mile day is only twice the longest I've gone in a day on the KLR. This is a great idea, yes?
That was my plan coming back to CO on the stock seat. I was planning a 10 minute stop every hour. Didn't even come close to that. I managed 350 miles, not counting bullshit running around Amarillo looking for a speedometer cable and whatnot.

Best of luck, though!

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
I can't compare to that.

Friday, I managed to get to the DMV and a VIN inspection, and get the plates from the R1100RS transferred to the KLR. It took 105 minutes for them to help 19 people. :argh:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

sklnd posted:

The DMV is the worst place in the world. I went a while back to get a CO drivers license, and it took four hours for them to handle ~50 people.

Changed the oil in the KLR today. I even got all fancy and used a new crush washer instead of reusing the old one like an idiot. Probably should have done more work, but I was feelin lazy so I went back inside.
That was really an unusual experience for me. It was slow a couple weeks ago when I renewed the tags on the M3, too.
Probably has a lot to do with my choice of days, though. If I hadn't waited until Payday Friday at 1pm, the KLR would have likely gone faster - and if I hadn't waited until the 29th of June (on my 30 day grace period for my May tags)... =)

*Usually* I'm in and out in 20 minutes, maybe 30.

Yesterday, I insured it (for reals, not the 'you already have motorcycle insurance, so you're covered for a shortish period of time' coverage).
Colorado recently (either a 2001 court ruling, or a 2008 change in law) had a ruling at the State level that Uninsured Motorist protection follows the *driver*, not the *vehicle*.

quote:

In DeHerrera v. Sentry Insurance Company, 30 P.3d 167 (Colo. 2001), the Supreme Court held that Sentry Insurance was incorrect in its reading of Colorado Revised Statutes 10-4-609. The Supreme Court instructed Sentry Insurance (and by implication all of the other insurance companies writing policies in Colorado) that UM/UIM benefits follow the person and not the vehicle. Additionally, the Court stated that one premium is sufficient to cover an entire family of drivers compared to one premium per car.
I looked at a summary of DeHerrera v. Sentry - a woman's minor child (who would be covered by her UM/UIM as a relative as a passenger in her car) was struck by an underinsured pickup truck while riding a dirt bike off road (no details on just how *that* happened, unfortunately). The court ruled that the son was covered by her UM/UIM coverage - just as he would be if he'd been hit by an un/underinsured driver while sitting on the porch of his house.

So, if you are in Colorado, and have UIM on your bike and your car, call your agent, and drop UIM on the bike, which is pretty spendy.
It works out really well for me - the car policy has 100/300/100 Liability, and 100/300 UIM, while the bike policy only offered a max of 50/100 UIM for $145/year, which was 54% of the total cost of the policy.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 13, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Bought the core components of a roadable toolkit.
- 10-19mm socket set, in a plastic case.
- 12mm combination wrench
- 2x 3" extensions
- 1x 6" extension (for the forks)
- 6", 8", 10" crescent wrench set.
- Needlenose vicegrips

Then I used them to adjust the handlebars forward for more rise and a longer reach to them - they're a LOT more comfortable to use from a standing position now.

To Do:
Fork Seals
Tighten Steering Head slightly
Check more closely for an oil leak - I think I may have spotted one near the countershaft cover (the chain is tensioned properly now, but Hayden may have had it sportbike tight when I left Texas...)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
I unbolted some poo poo in preparation for pulling the forks off this weekend.

I didn't realize how much turbulence I was getting off the fairing and the fender. It's quite nice to ride now.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Armacham posted:

why did you take off the headlight fairing to get the forks off? Just curious, I've had my forks off twice and I never needed to take anything else off.
I'm going to be mucking about with the triple tree/bearings in addition to changing the fork seals/wipers, so I wanted less crap to be in the way for that.
Plus, I was curious to see how much of the 'wibblewobbles' I have are fender/fairing + crosswind related.
Finally, I'm considering leaving the fairing off and going with a 7" round fork mount, or a set of Buell dual headlights. I'm kinda liking the enduro look.

quote:

In addition, for turbulence, I can personally recommend putting a KX fender on instead of the normal KLR fender. It's a little smaller and stiffer, so it doesn't buffet around as much. Looks cooler too
I'm thinking about the EagleMike fork brace + KTM fender combo.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

Marv Hushman posted:

Grease=Word.
It's got lube,
It's got leakin'

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

hayden. posted:

Does the chain on the KLR need to have more slack than a sportbike chain? You're right in that I adjusted it the same as I had always adjusted my sportbikes, didn't think there would be a difference.
Yes.

There's a guy who did some semi-obsessive measuring - putting the bike up on a lift to get the full extension, then compressing the suspension to the point at which it has the maximum distance between the countershaft and the rear hub, blah blah blah.

The end result of all his measuring?

On the KLR, when your chain is tightened properly, you should be able to lift the bottom run up and just touch the bottom of the rubber guard on the swingarm.

hayden. posted:

To be fair it was definitely on the loose end of the spectrum, so I imagine it was fine.
Something isn't fine. Since I've started commuting on the bike (60 mile R/T) I'm using a TON of oil. A full quart every...250 miles or so?...and there's quite a lot of oil on the bottom of the crankcase under the countershaft cover, but I've only ever had it leak any oil on the garage floor once, and that was only two drops - so the oil is going someplace, and it doesn't seem to be out the tailpipe...

The Post Office says the seals and stuff should be here today, so I spent last night pulling the front end apart.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I don't think this is supposed to look like this. Dammit. TrailTech here I come.

The cheap parts look fine, naturally.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 3, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
With 3 1/2 goons' worth of help and 4 hours, I unfucked my forks and headset. Gory (and by gory, I mean silly) details in the [Denver] thread.

It's like a whole new bike. Holy poo poo, these things are supposed to have suspension on both ends?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
I rode the KLR up to the campsite outside Bailey, CO on Friday afternoon after work to join Ann (and friends) who had left to go up there the previous Sunday.

Dodged a fuckoff huge thunderstorm that was making GBS threads all over I-70 by taking 225 South to I-25 to Hampden/285 :smug:

Realized I'd forgotten to put the front fender back on after doing the forks on Wednesday when I rode through *another* fuckoff huge thunderstorm going up Turkey Creek Canyon. gently caress.

Rode 8 miles down a waterlogged, slippery, slimy, Forest Service Road made of clay as my first dirt experience. I think I got up to 15 whole MPH at one stretch. Remembered a few tips from the 'Transitioning' thread that helped make the trip less lovely.

Rode back down on Sunday. Came down US285 doing between 70 and 75 most of the way. I can't imagine having that much confidence in myself or the bike prior to the work we did on it this week.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

upsidedown posted:

Yeah, seems to be leaking out there then onto the fork brace and down the outer fork tubes. A dealer quoted me $360 (:australia:) to replace the seals. Still waiting for my local independent guy to get back to me.
As I found out recently, fork seals are not that daunting, if you have the time and a place to work for a few hours (because it'll be your first time, and you'll spend plenty of time puzzling things out as you go).
Parts for my KLR were about $45, Buying the tools that I didn't have on hand was probably another $20. It took about 4 hours to do both.
Now that I've been into them once, I could probably do both in a couple hours.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
I learned (on my KLR) what it's like to ride a Harley with straight pipes.

I went out yesterday in search of some expansions for Carcassonne (which we play every weekend with the neighbors. Beer and Boardgames is good fun). On my way back from Southwest Plaza in Lakewood, CO, I was northbound on I-25, in the HOV lane. Etymotics in, groovin' to some Stephen Lynch, when all of a sudden the bike got REALLY REALLY LOUD.

It didn't feel weird, it was still running, it was just super loud. So, not wanting to have the neighbors come pick up my potentially non-running bike on the side of a busy freeway, with no ramp for the pickup available, I did what any good goon would do - I kept going. I was laughing my rear end off by the time I got home.

I passed a lady in a Honda Civic who had her window about 1/2 down. She covered her ear with her hand.
I had a guy in a topless, doorless Wrangler pacing me, staring.
I could see MANY people looking in their driver's side mirrors as I approached them in the fast lane.
I had a hot, HOT chick give me not the "Cool Dude On A Bike" look, but the "OMG WTF, Dude On A Bike?" look.
Then, as my offramp was coming up, I moved to the slow lane, and the hot chick and her hot friend passed me in the fast lane. I'm probably on YouTube someplace, as her friend had whipped out her cameraphone and was clearly taking a movie of my LOUD LOUD bike.

I got home and found what I'd suspected all along.

Time to upgrade, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Gave the new bike a good going over.

* Checked the oil - it's fresh, but a little overfull (2-3mm on the dipstick)
* Checked the coolant. Good color, full.
* Lubed the clutch cable.
* Lubed the throttle cable.
* Checked the air pressure (2 PSI F/R - no wonder it was squirrely as gently caress when I rode (very slowly) up to King Soopers to fill it up Saturday Morning!).
* Added air to the tires (15 PSI F/R).
* Checked the front suspension settings - they were way out of whack, and not matched. Set them to 13 clicks from hard at the top, and 12 clicks from hard at the bottom.
* Checked the rear shock settings. Set the rebound damp to the recommended setting. Can't find the Compression adjuster.
* Lubricated the chain.
* Set the idle mixture/pilot jet to ~1 1/2 turns out.
* Fiddled with the idle speed screw to set the idle up from where it was on Saturday (it kept dying at idle - the idle speed screw was all the way out)
* Added ~4 oz seafoam to the tank.
* Checked the voltage on the new battery (12.5v)
* Took some pictures
* Rode it for about 20 minutes around the neighborhood.
* Did Babby's First Wheelie without realizing I was doing it until I was done. :)

Pictures in the We Do It With Two thread.