Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ashex posted:

I never want to stop riding but I know I'll have to at the first sign of frost :(

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ashex posted:

Mainly my wife getting all worried with it being December. Around here it's pretty wet so frost generally means icy roads. I also need to get new tires this month, I'm just waiting for my holiday bonus to get them.

Definitely ride within your limits and comfort zone. I feel comfortable riding as long as the ambient temperature is above freezing and there's no obvious ice or snow in the road. I've got no qualms scraping frost off of my seat. I'm lucky in that my riding season basically extends from February to December most years.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Oh, of course. Very common on the luxury package versions of soccer-mom minivans and SUVs. Heated and cooled leather seats, heated steering wheel, automatic starter, automatic quad-zone temperature control, yadda yadda. Burn up an extra gallon of gas every morning so that no part of your body ever has to experience temperatures below 70 degrees.

Yeah, I just reach down and grab the top set of cooling fins. Nice and toasty in about 5 seconds.

Heated seats are nice, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Saga posted:

So what does CA think, Citroen C3 Picasso or Ford B-Max?

Does Toyota still make the Sienna? If so, that. I had so much fun in one during high school.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Was the candy any good?

Nah, but the ability to remove all the rear seats was. Lots of room, if you follow my meaning.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

High Protein posted:

Went for a shakedown ride and had the shift linkage fall apart just as I rolled into the street again.

There are definitely worse things that could fall apart on a shakedown ride.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Love the teetotaler attitude. Beer is a delicious treat, not a stress reliever.

No, that's why I carry a flask of bourbon.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

DIY instructions are at http://www.bluegauges.com/step_by_step_gauges.htm

... I'd rather pay someone to do it instead of loving poo poo up by accident.

If you get your bike to Atlanta, I'll do it for $beer.

e: I'll go to you for $sv650

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 16, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Today I turned an oil change into a pointlessly difficult ordeal. Here's how I managed to gently caress it up:

• Bought the wrong weight oil (two bottles of 10w40 and one 10w50 as opposed to three 10w60)
  • Read the directions beforehand.
  • Couldn't find the second drain plug, decided "Oh, my model must not have one." (The manual indicates two bolts with 12mm heads. The bike has one bolt with a 12mm head, and one screw that takes a 10mm hex key.)
  • Thought, "Huh, that's not a lot of oil draining out. Oh well, good enough."
  • Took off the wrong cover for the filter, spent a moment tugging at god knows what wondering why the filter wasn't coming out.
  • Dumped two quarts of oil back in. Had to run the engine for a moment to get the sight glass to register anything. Sight glass way full.
  • (repeat four or five times) Drain some oil, crank the motor, check the sight glass.

I'm going to pick up some more oil and try again on Friday. General questions: Did I gently caress anything up by running probably a quart too much oil for < 1 minute? Can I re-use the drain plug washer?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

not blinding oncoming drivers

I think that's where you and psaN and Sagebrush disagree.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I got the oil change done and aired up the tires, expecting to go on a ride this afternoon. I got on the highway headed out toward the mountains when, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a guy in a pickup truck pointing at the back of my bike. I wondered if I was leaking oil, so I pulled onto the right shoulder and discovered that my tire was flat. Goddamnit!

A guy on an 1100 (1200?) GS pulled up behind me and offered to help out. I followed him to a gas station and then to his house, and he gave me a ride to mine. I drove back to his house, borrowed his trailer (he doesn't have anything with a hitch, any more), and took my bike back to my place where it sits now. So, gently caress, new inner tube I guess. The guy's brother, it turns out, bought the condo below mine and is renovating it. They're good people.

I did lanesplit on the interstate for the first time today, so that's pretty neat. It's hairy splitting next to tractor trailers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've always been under the impression that the adjuster is not to be trusted, and that the end-all and be-all is measuring from the center of the swing-arm mount to the center of the rear axle.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Today I discovered that plastic coffee cup lids will not hold up to carb cleaner.

(I also cleaned the bottom end of the KLR's carb, which did not fix the problem I had with the KLR but may have pointed me in the right direction (throttle cable out of adjustment). I also, unfortunately, need to replace my choke cable.)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Is there a good way to deal with the little square metal nuts that go inside/underneath the battery terminals on most bikes? It always takes me a few (dozen) tries to get the battery bolts started.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Good to know I'm not the only chunk on two wheels.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Broke off the loving footpeg!

I was riding the Bonneville home from work. My keys were digging into my right leg, so I stood up on the pegs and tried to shake them into a better position. Suddenly my right foot slips and is hanging in midair. I stop, walk back, there's my peg in the weeds.

The bolt appears to have sheared. This is surprising to me, because sure I'm kinda fat but so are the old British men who also ride these things.

What I would do is use a left-hand threaded drill bit to drill it out, then replace it and its twin with grade 8 hardware.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 2, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Quote is still not edit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I haven't yet sat down and really studied it, but it looks like one end of the bolt is permanently attached to the little frame which holds the footpeg. Might have to buy a new one.

I can't remember what you ride. What do you ride?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

3 pieces of sandpaper

That's not a very good way to port and polish.

Pham Nuwen posted:

2010 Bonneville.
I was wrong. Fortunately, your parts are cheap.
http://www.bikebandit.com/2010-triumph-bonneville-se/o/m18747#sch632038

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 3, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've come to the sad realization that between two jobs and a girlfriend, I simply do not have time to fix my KLR myself, and will have to take it to a shop.

It was a painful moment when it hit me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Every time I think, "Man, I really want a Uly," you post something like that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I got this far before realizing I left my wrenches downstairs. I had most of my gear wrenches, and I found the one marked 10mm / 6mm. "How funny," I thought, "that the 10mm would be paired with the 6mm." I tried unscrewing the pilot jet holders with the 6mm, only to find out that it was in fact 9mm.

I decided to call it a night at that point.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've got to get me a set of tire spoons.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I paid $70-something the last time I needed an inner tube replaced.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ziploc posted:

I don't think either can fit under my Bandit's seat. Any smaller alternatives? Maybe this? http://www.aerostich.com/hawk-fire-extinguishers.html

EDIT: I'd also want to fit a small air compressor under there as well. Is there a goto one?

I think there's a SLIME branded compressor people like. They usually take it out of its housing to save space.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

nsaP posted:

Edit: Those gloves are also useful for hiding your smoking from your girlfriend as my buddy taught me, lol

:catstare: This may become very useful to me in the near future.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I bolted the side panels and panniers back on the KLR, removed the windshield, and took it on a shakedown cruise to work! Only one butt-clenching moment!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

M42 posted:

Today, I made a stop at a hardware store to get some kerosene for the chain...I put the sidestand down, slowly leaned the bike over, and it kept leaning. Until it fell and mashed up my brand new light. :ssj: It still works properly, it's just cracked.

Sometimes I wonder how I'm even able to breathe without choking on my own tongue.

That's nothing. I once broke off my back right turn signal by kicking it while dismounting. Now that's some pro-level fuckupery.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This is going to sound crazy, but have you tried resetting the TPS?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

And yeah, it's sort of a sperg-hobby. I really cannot resist monkeying with poo poo I shouldn't be.

This is why I bought a Subaru dad-mobile and refuse to tinker with it (beyond having thrown on a lightbar). I would love to throw on some taller stiffer springs on it, and then maybe upgrade the shocks, and then maybe drop the subframe a little bit to get better CV angles, and then get a set of five wheels+yokohama geolanders, but eventually down that road my girlfriend's yelling at me for having pawned her engagement ring to buy/swap in a crate H6, and that road ends with suffering.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I guess it helps that the Uly has long suspension travel, in that case.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KLR Six Fiddy!

Sold!

:smith:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I cleaned, lubed, and adjusted my chain today, and I only knocked my bike over on its side once!

I have got to get a spool stand.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 27, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Xovaan posted:

]

And this is ASCII. (Askee) :3:]

ASCII is adorable. I wanna play fetch with dat puppy!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Still looking for a bike for my girlfriend too. SoCal is literally the most garbage area of California. Looked at an EX500 with "new brakes" so bad I had to four-finger to prevent it rolling down the owner's driveway in neutral. Are people all just loving stupid?

Hey, those brakes were brand new three years ago!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Z3n posted:

I love how that thing looks without the bodywork.

Looks kinda like a Transformer that got stuck mid-transform.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I did the same thing going from dual sports to a rented goldwing: parking lot speedbump? Full thrott--oh wait poo poo poo poo poo poo brakessss! KUDGE!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fixed my speedometer (by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery). :confused:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I made a thing.

$.67 worth of tubing from O'Reilly Auto Parts and a Poweraid bottle with a ~1/2" hole drilled in the top makes a perfect used brake fluid catch reservoir. I added a 1/16" hole for gas to escape. Gonna bleed my brakes in a little bit!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I went to install bar end mirrors today.

FUUUUUUCK! Why am I so bad at bikes? poo poo poo poo making GBS threads gently caress god drat it. I mangled my nice new grips for no reason. Any ideas? I'm guessing "fill it with JB Steel Stick and tap that" isn't the right answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ephphatha posted:

That black bit looks like part of the throttle assembly. If it moves when you twist the grip you can cut the end off and that should give you enough room for the expanding bit of the bar end. You'll want to cut it back far enough that you can see a few mm of the bar all the way around anyway, otherwise your throttle will stick.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear. I should have taken a picture of the other side. The hole in the throttle tube is the same as the inner diameter of the bars.